ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Fed can't do 50bps with the markets expecting 25. If they do, without telegraphing it days in advance, they risk more than credibility and long term value in the stability of their messaging. It's why the wording and vote discussion is focused so heavily on post defacto.

Fed can't do 50bps with the markets expecting 25. If they do, without telegraphing it days in advance, they risk more than credibility and long term value in the stability of their messaging. It's why the wording and vote discussion is focused so heavily on post defacto.
+1
98.7% of analysts expect .25%. And 2-3 Fed voting members already went public with the smaller increase. Done deal.

awesome as it should be. Don't see anyone trying to give them aid when it's bust time. They sell on volume with the smallest margins, smaller than grocery stores. nothing wrong with their figures, thank the administration for raising that price!
Profit Margin well above ten year trend... BDS is real. I happen to live in a county that will benefit greatly from the infrastructure bill. 45’s infrastructure plan didn’t exist in reality.

Profit Margin well above ten year trend... BDS is real. I happen to live in a county that will benefit greatly from the infrastructure bill. 45’s infrastructure plan didn’t exist in reality.

Union projects are characteristically money laundering operations where billions are thrown at projects with the expectation that a good chunk of the money goes back to DC (like Ukraine grift). The projects are practically always plagued with added costs and overruns. NY State's budget is 230 billion and FL's is half that. Money just vanishes down black holes in NY. Earlier infrastructure deals were hindered because pols knew they could lose grift/votes

Reactions: RUTGERS95
But "talking tough" has not been impactful. Investors not taking the "talk" seriously. So the Fed may just have to demonstrate toughness via a 50 bps increase. We'll see.
Stocks are on a nice little run since the start of the year, but still way off highs from a year ago. And we don't know where the market would be if the Fed were not talking tough.

I think the tough talk has had an effect, but the market is starting to look through it.

Union projects are characteristically money laundering operations where billions are thrown at projects with the expectation that a good chunk of the money goes back to DC (like Ukraine grift). The projects are practically always plagued with added costs and overruns. NY State's budget is 230 billion and FL's is half that. Money just vanishes down black holes in NY. Earlier infrastructure deals were hindered because pols knew they could lose grift/votes

I don’t doubt NY state is a clown show. George Santos (aka Arthur Ponzerelli) shouldn’t be allowed to do his grifting in DC.
45 should just hope he’s permitted to play golf at Mar-a-lago while wearing an ankle bracelet.

So do we really think .25 is baked in? That would imply an announcement of a .25 raise would not more the market. I feel the market reacts well to a .25 raise.

Of course fed forecasting will also be a factor.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Stocks are on a nice little run since the start of the year, but still way off highs from a year ago. And we don't know where the market would be if the Fed were not talking tough.

I think the tough talk has had an effect, but the market is starting to look through it.
We all see the inflation data and understand what's happening. The market will react and rally way before the Fed makes a formal declaration of pause/pivot/success.

Reactions: RU-05
So do we really think .25 is baked in? That would imply an announcement of a .25 raise would not more the market. I feel the market reacts well to a .25 raise.

Of course fed forecasting will also be a factor.
0.25% is well baked.....99.7% likelihood! LOL.

I don't think the increase will make much of an impact. However, Powell's speech and Q&A are meaningful. The market is anticipating tough/hawkish talk, but you never know how markets will react hearing the words. Any sense of dovishness or even slightly less hawkishness will cause the market to MOON!

0.25% is well baked.....99.7% likelihood! LOL.

I don't think the increase will make much of an impact. However, Powell's speech and Q&A are meaningful. The market is anticipating tough/hawkish talk, but you never know how markets will react hearing the words. Any sense of dovishness or even slightly less hawkishness will cause the market to MOON!
No fear of selling the news?

No fear of selling the news?
Meh. I don't think that's likely. Regardless, any Fed induced movement (up or down) will be very temporary and trumped tomorrow with earnings from AAPL, GOOGL, and AMZN.

Reactions: RU-05
Meh. I don't think that's likely. Regardless, any Fed induced movement (up or down) will be very temporary and trumped tomorrow with earnings from AAPL, GOOGL, and AMZN.
I'm not sure how much we should glean from moves in stocks like INTC and SNAP after awful earnings, where yes the stock tanked, but stayed significantly above 2022 lows.

We all see the inflation data and understand what's happening. The market will react and rally way before the Fed makes a formal declaration of pause/pivot/success.
I believe the Fed focus is on taking steps to ensure inflation does not rise again but continues to retreat to the target level of near 2% and, importantly, hold there. They have to take steps now to do that and that's why a 50 bps increase today would not be too surprising. There's more to it than your portfolio's current balance. We have a way to go before we regain footing. Early '24.

I believe the Fed focus is on taking steps to ensure inflation does not rise again but continues to retreat to the target level of near 2% and, importantly, hold there. They have to take steps now to do that and that's why a 50 bps increase today would not be too surprising. There's more to it than your portfolio's current balance. We have a way to go before we regain footing. Early '24.
bear_waving-hi.gif

😜

Inflation is already gone. Look at the QoQ data. We all see what's happening. The Fed is just trying to be tough because they are still butthurt from screwing up 2021 so badly. Nothing more.

I'm not sure how much we should glean from moves in stocks like INTC and SNAP after awful earnings, where yes the stock tanked, but stayed significantly above 2022 lows.
Very true. About 70% of S&P 500 companies that have reported so far have beaten expectations. Excellent results. However, the big boys matter a lot (physiologically and via shear weight in indexes). MSFT had a great quarter, so we already have one in the bank.

bear_waving-hi.gif

😜

Inflation is already gone. Look at the QoQ data. We all see what's happening. The Fed is just trying to be tough because they are still butthurt from screwing up 2021 so badly. Nothing more.
No. Inflation is not "gone." Unfortunately. Be patient and prudent. It will pass. Yes. In time. Just not as quickly as you're promoting.

No. Inflation is not "gone." Unfortunately. Be patient and prudent. It will pass. Yes. In time. Just not as quickly as you're promoting.
Inflation is gone and has been negative for 3-4 months if you use real-time shelter data. Facts are facts. And let me be clear, prices are still higher than pre-COVID. No inflation means prices are not continuing to go up. It doesn't mean prices are back down to where they were before.

JOLTS were strong this morning, I had missed that initially.
ADP was very weak, well below expectations (109k vs 190k) for private payrolls. This is a wonky metric, but perhaps a sign that the next government jobs report will be underwhelming.

Another 25 bps at the next meeting as expected. We have a ways to go to tame the tiger.

Here is my wish for the new year.

S&P is able to hold this 3700-3800 area and make a run for 4300.

If we give up though (on a weekly or daily) then 3400 unfortunately.

Sorry.
Anything unusual going on?

After a very quick downward move, Nasdaq up over 2%.

We've seen big moves post Fed statements over the past couple years reverse quickly. Is that in play here, or is this a jump off for an even bigger move upwards?

Very dovish commentary related to inflation. Market likes it
Had a work meeting, so I missed the fun live. You are definitely right about the dovish inflation comments. As I have said many times, the Fed can't ignore reality forever. We all see the inflation data.

I will predict a formal pause at the next Fed meeting, no increase in March! We will have 2 additional inflation reads (Jan and Feb). Both are poised to show accelerating declines. Both months enjoy very large increases in their base comparator months (Jan and Feb 2022). That will significantly help with the YoY math. MoM will likely continue to be flat to negative.

After a very quick downward move, Nasdaq up over 2%.

We've seen big moves post Fed statements over the past couple years reverse quickly. Is that in play here, or is this a jump off for an even bigger move upwards?
The announcement today provides clarity for the market. It didn't get the shock of 50 BPS. I think the market goes higher from here. I don't think the jobs report on Friday has the ability to shake the market one way or the other. Strong jobs equals strong economy and weak jobs should give the Fed concern for further rate hikes.

Reactions: RU-05 and T2Kplus20
The announcement today provides clarity for the market. It didn't get the shock of 50 BPS. I think the market goes higher from here. I don't think the jobs report on Friday has the ability to shake the market one way or the other. Strong jobs equals strong economy and weak jobs should give the Fed concern for further rate hikes.
2 more inflation reports before the next Fed meeting. If the trend continues or even gets better, here comes the pause! :)

Reactions: RU-Hunter
U don't want strong jobs report

Strong jobs report with the downturn in inflation is the soft landing.
FYI - John Brown bullish on META due to significant cuts in expenses and capex. Makes sense.

CNBC headline - The Fed and Powell caves. Don’t fight the market! 😀

Reactions: rutgersguy1
ADVERTISEMENT