ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Bigger META news:

Meta is paying first-ever dividend, authorizes $50 billion buyback!

KABOOM!!!!! Spiked up 11%.
Not a fan of buybacks because they’re too often ill-timed.

Don’t like hearing about buybacks when things are sunny but would rather hear them when the stock and much of big tech were much better value a couple years ago. But never see these kind of announcements for any company in those kind of times.

Not a fan of buybacks because they’re too often ill-timed.

Don’t like hearing about buybacks when things are sunny but would rather hear them when the stock and much of big tech were much better value a couple years ago. But never see these kind of announcements for any company in those kind of times.
Well, it was an authorization for buybacks, which can happen over a certain time period. Obviously, probably not a great idea to buy back at ATHs!

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Not always but often it depends on the momentum going into earnings.

If it’s been riding high, there’s a decent chance for sell the news after the reports unless you get a big beat and more importantly very good guidance.

But then after some time, if fundamentals are good the stock can resume the trend.

Reverse can be said too. If something is way oversold and earnings aren’t as bad or some sliver of good news can be found in them, you can get a quick bounce. But there too if fundamentals overall haven’t turned positive enough then the same bad trend will likely follow.
Can’t see the video but I see the headline and I hope it’s not a kiss of death lol as I’ve been riding the GE wave for awhile.

Also GE is a good example of what I mentioned above. It’s been on a great run and was at 52 week highs. Earnings were good and guidance was light and it sold off after. It’s not even been that long since earnings and it’s resumed its trend and made new 52 week highs because fundamentals and management are good.

Reactions: RU-05
Can’t see the video but I see the headline and I hope it’s not a kiss of death lol as I’ve been riding the GE wave for awhile.

Also GE is a good example of what I mentioned above. It’s been on a great run and was at 52 week highs. Earnings were good and guidance was light and it sold off after. It’s not even been that long since earnings and it’s resumed its trend and made new 52 week highs because fundamentals and management are good.

sell-trading.gif

• Haha
Reactions: rutgersguy1

By the way, what happened to GE in 2017/2018 when it last dumped?

Does the market continue to float higher and break $5000?
I was in the red most of the day but came back late to get into the green. As I have a fair amount of small cap stocks I figured the Russell would have done the same, but it even though it battled back from being down in premarket, it was down more then half a percent on the day.

Interestingly it is flat over both the 1 year and 6 month periods, with this being the 4th time it has battled with the $2000 level.

As I'm heavy in small caps I obviously hope it breaks through here, but the question is does the money come via rotation from the mega's, or money from the sidelines? The former or a combo of both would slow the S&P.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
I was in the red most of the day but came back late to get into the green. As I have a fair amount of small cap stocks I figured the Russell would have done the same, but it even though it battled back from being down in premarket, it was down more then half a percent on the day.

Interestingly it is flat over both the 1 year and 6 month periods, with this being the 4th time it has battled with the $2000 level.

As I'm heavy in small caps I obviously hope it breaks through here, but the question is does the money come via rotation from the mega's, or money from the sidelines? The former or a combo of both would slow the S&P.
If you were in the red most of the day, you really need FS Insights and Tom Lee's stock list. Up 2.02% today and already beating the S&P by 375 bps for 2024. As for small caps, they just came out with a small/mid cap stock list (46 in total) and 5 super picks for the month.

Besides my biotechs, my small cap plays are this top 5 picks and also UWM (which is my biggest small cap position, keep it simple!).

Happy to pass along some content if interested.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Probably both sources, but there is so much money on the sidelines. I don't think a rotation to the R2K stocks would dent the S&P too much. Isn't AAPL and MSFT bigger than that entire index?

It doesn't take much to move the R2K.

If you were in the red most of the day, you really need FS Insights and Tom Lee's stock list. Up 2.02% today and already beating the S&P by 375 bps for 2024. As for small caps, they just came out with a small/mid cap stock list (46 in total) and 5 super picks for the month.

Besides my biotechs, my small cap plays are this top 5 picks and also UWM (which is my biggest small cap position, keep it simple!).

Happy to pass along some content if interested.

Yeah I'll take some of that.

In other news, permabear Mike Wilson was booted from his current role. I guess he was wrong for too long:

Well, yes and no, he will still be Morgan Stanley’s US Chief Equity Strategist.
Step in the right direction for Morgan Stanley. It has been comical for a while. Wilson comes out and bears it up, but then other MS analysts hit CNBC and Bloomberg and contradict him. MS has a reputation to protect.

Blowout employment #. Ten Yr spiking. Goldilocks scenario continues

Jobs are heavy with government spots - a trillion of added debt every 100 days hires a lot of DEI drones.
Foreigners doing better than citizens. Foreigners often dont take Constitution seriously (Twitter's Parag Agrawal "The first amendment is irrelevant now.") Many countries also specify their citizens must be hired in exchange for US companies to get contracts. US business class is pretty scandalous.

CDnmO2s.jpeg

TJBFRiE.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Jimpeg and redking
Jobs are heavy with government spots - a trillion of added debt every 100 days hires a lot of DEI drones.
Foreigners doing better than citizens. Foreigners often dont take Constitution seriously (Twitter's Parag Agrawal "The first amendment is irrelevant now.") Many countries also specify their citizens must be hired in exchange for US companies to get contracts. US business class is pretty scandalous.

CDnmO2s.jpeg

TJBFRiE.jpeg
Fact check- Parag hasn’t worked at Twitter in well over a year. Foreigners are not, in fact doing better than citizens.

Reactions: ScarletNut

CDnmO2s.jpeg

TJBFRiE.jpeg

Good thing the KFC-Taylor Swift gag was included, otherwise I would have doubted the credibility of this guys opinion.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Good thing the KFC-Taylor Swift gag was included, otherwise I would have doubted the credibility of this guys opinion.
FYI - I heard the NFL and TS are in cahoots and planning something big for the Super Bowl.
:)

Cuts coming soon!

"IN A GOOD PLACE"

Fed chairs, covered intently by the financial press worldwide, occasionally use appearances on popular and widely available shows like "60 Minutes" to flag turning points in policy or to take note of major developments. Powell did so at the start of the pandemic to reassure the public that the central bank stood behind the economy.

In this case the message was a positive one of falling inflation, strong employment, and a coming easing of credit conditions -- all without the "pain" that Powell had earlier warned was in store for households as the Fed contained the worst outbreak of inflation in 40 years.

"We think the economy's in a good place. We think inflation is coming down. We just want to gain a little more confidence that it's coming down in a sustainable way toward our 2% goal," Powell said.

The Fed's preferred measure of inflation, the personal consumption expenditures price index, was running at a 2.6% annual rate as of December, though over shorter three- and six-month horizons it has been below the Fed's target.

Cuts coming soon!

"IN A GOOD PLACE"

Fed chairs, covered intently by the financial press worldwide, occasionally use appearances on popular and widely available shows like "60 Minutes" to flag turning points in policy or to take note of major developments. Powell did so at the start of the pandemic to reassure the public that the central bank stood behind the economy.

In this case the message was a positive one of falling inflation, strong employment, and a coming easing of credit conditions -- all without the "pain" that Powell had earlier warned was in store for households as the Fed contained the worst outbreak of inflation in 40 years.

"We think the economy's in a good place. We think inflation is coming down. We just want to gain a little more confidence that it's coming down in a sustainable way toward our 2% goal," Powell said.

The Fed's preferred measure of inflation, the personal consumption expenditures price index, was running at a 2.6% annual rate as of December, though over shorter three- and six-month horizons it has been below the Fed's target.
Does the market react tomorrow to this? Or is this Powell saying what we already know?

Does the market react tomorrow to this? Or is this Powell saying what we already know?
This definitely seemed like a formal victory lap, but the market thought the Dec meeting was Powell spiking the football. We shall see! Regardless, now is the time to increase positions of rate sensitive sectors.....like small caps and biotech.

Last edited:
This definitely seemed like a formal victory lap, but the market thought the Dec meeting was Powell spiking the football. We shall see! Regardless, not is the time to increase positions of rate sensitive sectors.....like small caps and biotech.
I still feel he can punt till May.

But your point on him doing these type shows just prior to a major pivot is interesting.

I still feel he can punt till May.

But your point on him doing these type shows just prior to a major pivot is interesting.
I think May is the base case now. What people want to see/hear in March is that May is a legit possibility. Something like that. By the way, does E-Trade have a custom basket tool like Fidelity? Great for managing stock lists!

I'm seriously eyeing another small-cap play.....Jan2025 IWM calls for my personal account. Oh, other important news:

Chinese investors are starting to publicly vent on the market woes. Will the gov'ment finally buckle and start juicing? FXI or KWEB calls?

I think May is the base case now. What people want to see/hear in March is that May is a legit possibility. Something like that. By the way, does E-Trade have a custom basket tool like Fidelity? Great for managing stock lists!

I'm seriously eyeing another small-cap play.....Jan2025 IWM calls for my personal account. Oh, other important news:

Chinese investors are starting to publicly vent on the market woes. Will the gov'ment finally buckle and start juicing? FXI or KWEB calls?
Jack Ma bought more BABA recently.

Cuts coming soon!

"IN A GOOD PLACE"

This is happy talk. Powell said nothing to indicate rate cuts were coming soon. His reason for going on 60 minutes was to talk about unstainable government spending.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT