ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Love the Tesla is not a car company line. Elon getting all his minions on message.
As I said before, TSLA is solely about sentiment. If he gets people on board with the next message, the stock will go up, up, and away.

As I said before, TSLA is solely about sentiment. If he gets people on board with the next message, the stock will go up, up, and away.
The fake Reuters story was sentiment. Short term noise.
Elon's vision for Tesla hasn't changed in 18 years (Master Plan Part 1).
Ignore the media, listen to the man himself.

MULN up over 100% today

Im still way down in it. This move only gets it back to where it was a couple months ago

The news driving it looks to be approval from California enabling consumers to cash in $45k in vouchers. The trucks cost $68k.

MULN up over 100% today

Im still way down in it. This move only gets it back to where it was a couple months ago

The news driving it looks to be approval from California enabling consumers to cash in $45k in vouchers. The trucks cost $68k.
That one didn't go bankrupt yet? I guess Fisker is next.

Will any other car company spend $10 billion this year on AI training and inference compute?
No, no other car company would invest in crypto either. I guess they are just too distracted to sell cars. I remember you used to talk about Tesla gaining the overall auto market share.

SMCI reports today.

Not in it.
Also, AMZN and AMD. Big day! Got SMCI in my FS Insights basket (it moved from the small/mid-cap list to the big boy list a few weeks ago).

Will likely buy SOFI leap calls today. I'll give it a go.

I think last time it dropped I said mid high 20s is a decent area of support and it bounced from there and I think there’s a good chance it’s headed there again.

I brought it up recently as a long slog play but again not unless it’s in that area. It doesn’t even have a decent dividend anymore to pay you while you wait. It’s sort of a dead money with the hope of a nice payoff years down the line but who knows with the management. They never seem to get the executive suite right. TSMC building facilities here too so will they still keep share anyway even if not a US company. They need to find their Lisa Su but who knows if they ever will.
Doesn't sound good. Yikes:

GE HealthCare's Q1 results look to be horrendous. We need to listen to management's call, but a total miss on sales and earnings. Look for our full earnings analysis later today.

Doesn't sound good. Yikes:

GE HealthCare's Q1 results look to be horrendous. We need to listen to management's call, but a total miss on sales and earnings. Look for our full earnings analysis later today.
Hadn’t seen that news yet but it figures lol. That’s the one of the 3 I still have some of but it’s fine and green for me regardless. Was wondering if it could get up to the 90s again and I was going to clean break all of GE for now but so much for that then lol.

GE is really pushing the bounds of breaking out from that long term resistance. I didn’t think it would do so this soon but who knows. Analysts raised their PTs recently too.

GEV is the one I’m kicking myself a little over but I made money on it and try minimize regret. I was thinking of playing the yo-yo-ing it was doing but as soon as I was out of it, it turned into a rocket ship lol. Sold at 138 and it’s pushing near 160 lol. Oh well what to do.

If they come back down to a price I’m comfortable owning them great but if not so be it.

Last edited:
Hadn’t seen that news yet but it figures lol. That’s the one of the 3 I still have some of but it’s fine and green for me regardless. Was wondering if it could get up to the 90s again and I was going to clean break all of GE for now but so much for that then lol.

GE is really pushing the bounds of breaking out from that long term resistance. I didn’t think it would do so this soon but who knows. Analysts raised their PTs recently too.

GEV is the one I’m kicking myself a little over but I made money on it and try minimize regret. I was thinking of playing the yo-yo-ing it was doing but as soon as I was out of it, it turned into a rocket ship lol. Sold at 138 and it’s pushing near 160 lol. Oh well what to do.

If they come back down to a price I’m comfortable owning them great but if not so be it.
GE's chart looks like Japan/Nikkei. :)

GE's chart looks like Japan/Nikkei. :)
The staying power has been quite remarkable. On one level I kind of see it as the old resistance was when it was completely a different company but still it’s extraordinary. It’s not NVDA and the like type of stock lol.

GEV is the one that’s more “shocking,” pun intended to me. Part of me figures maybe it’s institutional buying with the assumption the upcoming AI wave will need a lot of power generation and GEV probably will play a part in that. I just didn’t expect the “surge” to be so quick.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The staying power has been quite remarkable. On one level I kind of see it as the old resistance was when it was completely a different company but still it’s extraordinary. It’s not NVDA and the like type of stock lol.

GEV is the one that’s more “shocking,” pun intended to me. Part of me figures maybe it’s institutional buying with the assumption the upcoming AI wave will need a lot of power generation and GEV probably will play a part in that. I just didn’t expect the “surge” to be so quick.
Totally agreed on GEV. I read a recent article highlighting the upcoming infrastructure needs for AI and EV. GEV is portrayed as one of the big winners.

PFE finally turning the corner and flushing out the impact of the COVID years? Guidance raise with big cost cutting.

Reactions: RU-05
Takes the overhanging cloud out of the way for JNJ.

Other news:

BMY new 52wk low and still below long term MA support...low to mid 40s area important as well or mid 30s could come into play

PFE raised guidance for the year on cost cutting and smaller than expected drop on its covid drugs

SBUX another company feeling the hurt from China. Also likely echoes the same issues MCD has with people cutting back based on value.

INTC not far from a 2 handle, saw it was down 30% in April

UNH, other than a brief breakout, still hasn't been able to definitively hold above that low 490s resistance area....edit: mentioned 470s could come back into play if it didn't hold above and it's in the 470s at the open this morning.

Last edited:
PFE finally turning the corner and flushing out the impact of the COVID years? Guidance raise with big cost cutting.

I think there's a limit to how far they can go without good growth from new drugs. It may find a bottom but it doesn't mean it will go up significantly like a MRK or LLY. It could meander between the 20s and 30s. That's basically what it did for most of the last 20 years except for the brief boost from the COVID vaccine.

Takes the overhanging cloud out of the way for JNJ.

Other news:

BMY new 52wk low and still below long term MA support...low to mid 40s area important as well or mid 30s could come into play

PFE raised guidance for the year on cost cutting and smaller than expected drop on its covid drugs

SBUX another company feeling the hurt from China. Also likely echoes the same issues MCD has with people cutting back based on value.

INTC not far from a 2 handle, saw it was down 30% in April

UNH, other than a brief breakout, still hasn't been able to definitively hold above that low 490s resistance area
Got a bunch of PFE leap calls in hope of its turnaround. Very good report this morning.

Still dubious of BMY due to the upcoming patent expirations. Regardless, the company is undervalued.

Will be interesting to see the impact of the JNJ news. The company spilt hasn't paid off yet.

Got a bunch of PFE leap calls in hope of its turnaround. Very good report this morning.
Cost cutting is fine as a short term fix but you can't cost cut your way to growth over the long haul. It has to be on the back of new blockbuster medicines and they haven't really done a lot in that area since Lipitor (Warner Lambert).

I think there's a limit to how far they can go without good growth from new drugs. It may find a bottom but it doesn't mean it will go up significantly like a MRK or LLY. It could meander between the 20s and 30s. That's basically what it did for most of the last 20 years except for the brief boost from the COVID vaccine.
First, let's not confuse MRK and LLY. The former is up the same amount as the market in recent years and the latter is pharma's version of NVDA. LOL! PFE has a lot of shots on goal and made a good purchase of Seagen. Just wash the COVID years/products out of the system and move on. Pfizer has plenty of fat to cut as per the announced $4B in savings.

Cost cutting is fine as a short term fix but you can't cost cut your way to growth over the long haul. It has to be on the back of new blockbuster medicines and they haven't really done a lot in that area since Lipitor (Warner Lambert).
You don't always need a Lipitor (i.e., top selling drug) to show growth. Plenty of opportunities to build an exciting portfolio based on doubles or triples.

First, let's not confuse MRK and LLY. The former is up the same amount as the market in recent years and the latter is pharma's version of NVDA. LOL! PFE has a lot of shots on goal and made a good purchase of Seagen. Just wash the COVID years/products out of the system and move on. Pfizer has plenty of fat to cut as per the announced $4B in savings.
I mentioned that above and I'm aware that LLY and MRK have gone up by different magnitudes. That's not the point. The point is they've both gone up meaningfully on the back of blockbuster drugs be it for cancer or weight loss. PFE will only go up in a meaningful fashion on the back of new drugs, not cost cutting. Mid 30s area is likely the resistance otherwise, which is still a nice gain but who knows if/when it would get there. To move substantively beyond that area will take new blockbuster drugs.

Chart still looks like shit. Probably needs to get above $27-28 to break the downward trend. Falling knife until then.

Edit: But if you want to make that bet now, the ex Div is 5/9, so you can get in now to enjoy the 6.5% div, put in a stop loss order, and wait it out.

You don't always need a Lipitor (i.e., top selling drug) to show growth. Plenty of opportunities to build an exciting portfolio based on doubles or triples.
I agree but they don't have enough of those either.

BTW I've owned this stock in a DRIP for all of that 20 years. One of the first stocks I bought when I started investing/trading. It's just languishing dead money. I don't even think about it lol. I wish they would wake up but I've seen very little signs of it over 2 decades lol.

I mentioned that above and I'm aware that LLY and MRK have gone up by different magnitudes. That's not the point. The point is they've both gone up meaningfully on the back of blockbuster drugs be it for cancer or weight loss. PFE will only go up in a meaningful fashion on the back of new drugs, not cost cutting. Mid 30s area is likely the resistance otherwise, which is still a nice gain but who knows if/when it would get there. To move substantively beyond that area will take new blockbuster drugs.
If PFE gets back to the mid-30s, I will be thrilled and my calls will be crazy profitable. Sign me up! :)

If PFE gets back to the mid-30s, I will be thrilled and my calls will be crazy profitable. Sign me up! :)
It's possible but doesn't mean it will and who knows when.

The COVID drug shows what can happen if they actually had a strong stable of drugs or some blockbusters. Problem is that was a one off and they don't have a strong enough portfolio as of now.

I agree but they don't have enough of those either.

BTW I've owned this stock in a DRIP for all of that 20 years. One of the first stocks I bought when I started investing/trading. It's just languishing dead money. I don't even think about it lol. I wish they would wake up but I've seen very little signs of it over 2 decades lol.
They currently have 10 drugs with over $1B in sales. Bottom line to me.....PFE is not going anywhere. It brings in tons of revenue and made a nice purchase of Seagen. Like DIS, sentiment got so awful that a nice turnaround rally is likely. PFE has life in its pipeline and could surprise.

Chart still looks like shit. Probably needs to get above $27-28 to break the downward trend. Falling knife until then.

Edit: But if you want to make that bet now, the ex Div is 5/9, so you can get in now to enjoy the 6.5% div, put in a stop loss order, and wait it out.
Just FYI for those that may not know, when a company pays a dividend the share price also goes down by the amount of that dividend. I like dividends and they're my favorite kind of stocks but if anyone is looking to "sneak in" for the ex-dividend and get out, that's not the best reason because the stock price reflects that dividend paid. If you like a stock and are willing to hold it, think it will appreciate in some time and collect dividends while you wait, that's a different story.

They currently have 10 drugs with over $1B in sales. Bottom line to me.....PFE is not going anywhere. It brings in tons of revenue and made a nice purchase of Seagen. Like DIS, sentiment got so awful that a nice turnaround rally is likely. PFE has life in its pipeline and could surprise.
I didn't say PFE is going bankrupt but it's largely been zombie for most of the last 20 years.

Just FYI for those that may not know, when a company pays a dividend the share price also goes down by the amount of that dividend. I like dividends and they're my favorite kind of stocks but if anyone is looking to "sneak in" for the ex-dividend and get out, that's not the best reason because the stock price reflects that dividend paid. If you like a stock and are willing to hold it, think it will appreciate in some time and collect dividends while you wait, that's a different story.
Stocks can absolutely go up on ex-div days.

Stocks can absolutely go up on ex-div days.
I didn't say they don't go up but even if it's up the share price reflects the dividend deduction.

From the article:

With dividends, the stock price typically undergoes a single adjustment by the amount of the dividend. The stock price drops by the amount of the dividend on the ex-dividend date.1 Remember, the ex-dividend date is the day before the record date. If investors want to receive a stock's dividend, they have to buy shares of stock before the ex-dividend date. The record date is the date the company determines who are shareholders who receive dividends. (The ex-dividend date is before the record date to allow transactions of the trade to settle before the record date.)

For example, suppose a stock trading for $50 per share declares a $0.50 dividend. On the ex-dividend date, the price adjusts to $49.50 ($50 minus the $0.50 dividend) for each share as of the record date. And that's it—no changes to the listed options strike prices or contract terms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT