ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Learned a lot from 2008/2009, 2018, 2020, and 2022. Hold steady and keep buying.
But you were young and didn’t have 30 years of value build up in 2008. If you had your current allocation and 30+ years in, you would have been whacked big time. When you are 100% allocated, you have squat to buy the correction

Last edited:
But you were young and didn’t have 30 years of value build up in 2008. If you had your current allocation and 30+ years in, you would have been whacked big time. When you are 100% allocated, you have squat to buy the correction
Not sure about that. Maybe I just got lucky with the timing and learned my lesson early in my career. Was down well over 7-figures in each 2020 and 2022 and just keep buying. Sure, the numbers were way bigger during these crashes as compared to 2008/2009, but the principles on what to do were the same.

My biggest risk is my company equity (RSU and options). I enjoy playing with stocks in my personal account, but single stock risk is makes me nervous. I'm much more comfortable with ETFs, funds, indexes.....even those with leverage.

Always open to hearing advice on this topic!

Last edited:
Tom Lee on squawk box this morning.

Thinks S&P will be flat in Aug. The Rut up 15%.

Says what we have seen from the Russell the past few weeks, where we see a 1% move everyday for 10 straight days, has been followed by a Russel upward move 100% of the time.

Reactions: T2Kplus20

Says what we have seen from the Russell the past few weeks, where we see a 1% move everyday for 10 straight days, has been followed by a Russel upward move 100% of the time.
Video already posted. Perhaps IWM calls to add to my small-cap plays?

just 1 week ago he said Russell could be up 40% in 10 weeks, now he is saying 15% in the next 5 weeks. seems he is lowering his expectations.

Reactions: patk89
A guest this morning on CNBC said he thought Amazon and MSFT will be the big winners in enterprise AI. Seems like a reasonable prediction to me but all I know is that I believe he was a tech analyst somewhere.
I still have a hard time grappling with Amazon’s 50 P/E but…

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Consumers still in very good shape, much better than expected. Time to go bargain shopping on consumer plays? LULU, SBUX, MCD, NKE?

A guest this morning on CNBC said he thought Amazon and MSFT will be the big winners in enterprise AI. Seems like a reasonable prediction to me but all I know is that I believe he was a tech analyst somewhere.
Amazon will be a huge AI winner. Andy J may turn out to be a better CEO than Bezos.

Breakdown of AMZN's rev's from Feb. Really good graph near the top spanning back to 2015.

Also.

"The interesting take about Amazon, which many are not aware of, is the fact that its core business (the e-commerce platform) is also, and still, unprofitable."

Through 2022 at least. Takeaway there is they are still investing to grow, and could flip that switch if they want to put profits over growth.

Edit: A little more then halfway through you'll see a graph which include both rev's and earnings. Rev's are through the roof, earnings very muted by comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Owl
just 1 week ago he said Russell could be up 40% in 10 weeks, now he is saying 15% in the next 5 weeks. seems he is lowering his expectations.
I dunno, maybe. Certainly possible it's up 15% in August and 40% overall in 10 weeks. Especially if the 10% move we've already seen is included in the 40%.

But I think the real point is that he is very bullish on small caps. Quibbling on specifics isn't all that interesting.

Anybody got any theories for why the big selloff the past couple weeks in S&P and NDQ? Rotation into small caps or pricing in a rate cut?
Both, but they are intertwined. The rotation into small caps is because of the impending rate cuts.

And as @T2Kplus20 notes above, it's very easy to take profits on the megacap's after their huge runs so as to start positions in the small caps, value plays, or other downtrodden stocks..

Just some healthy profit taking from the massive AI and Big Tech rally. Doesn't seem like anything else.

Bought more GOOGL and CRWD today. Started a small LULU position.
I bought back some CRWD, about 20% of the position I previously held.

Also bought back some SMCI, also about a 20% position of what I previously held. Google and Meta were down in part because of more AI spending, that should benefit the likes of NVDA, AVGO(I want some) and SMCI.

Someone noted that NVDA now has a chip that is legal for sale in China, and that could further juice earnings.

I bought back some CRWD, about 20% of the position I previously held.

Also bought back some SMCI, also about a 20% position of what I previously held. Google and Meta were down in part because of more AI spending, that should benefit the likes of NVDA, AVGO(I want some) and SMCI.

Someone noted that NVDA now has a chip that is legal for sale in China, and that could further juice earnings.
Gene M on his Deepwater YouTube channel talked about TSM growing 40% last quarter and being booked through 2026. If true, NVDA et al are going to keep blowing up.

Speaking of new positions, the more I read about GEV the more bullish I am. Any other energy infrastructure plays? Not including utilities.

Both, but they are intertwined. The rotation into small caps is because of the impending rate cuts.

And as @T2Kplus20 notes above, it's very easy to take profits on the megacap's after their huge runs so as to start positions in the small caps, value plays, or other downtrodden stocks..
Why would reduced interest rates cause a selloff and/or rotation?

Smaller companies are more likely to borrow money especially those that are not profitable.

The mega cap companies print their own cash(via profits), and thus don’t need loans.
+1
Small caps are super sensitive to interest rates. And leading the way on this dynamic is my beloved biotech industry, especially clinical stage companies (i.e., no revenue yet). We got demolished in 2022/2023 with the rate hikes but now ripping due to the likelihood of the cutting cycle.

FYI - buy biotechs. :)

Smaller companies are more likely to borrow money especially those that are not profitable.

The mega cap companies print their own cash(via profits), and thus don’t need loans.
Hmmm.... Rates would need to be cut by at least 1.5% to benefit a typical small cap in need of $. So three 50bps cuts might be enough of a dip to really make a difference. That's well into '25.

BMY up 10%

Like 3m a downtrodden that pops big on good earnings
PFE keeps grinding upwards (thinking about closing my calls and buying shares?). I'm still not a believer in BMY. Their loss of patent exposure over the next 4-5 years is massive. About 60% of BMY revenue may be lost.

Last edited:
PFE keeps grinding upwards (thinking about closing my calls and buying shares?). I'm still not a believer in BMY. Their loss of patent exposure over the next 4-5 years is massive. About 60% of BMY revenue may be lost.
I bought PFE this week. Was in and out recently, didn't trade it well as it zigged when I was expected a zag, but hoping to maintain the position for awhile.

Also bought some NYCB today. Had a decent little run prior to earnings, sold off heavy on earnings, but bounced right back. I bought it mid day today and I'm up a couple %.

Sold the rest of my RIG. Had a big up day this week on some contract news so I was slightly in the green, but I think I sold some at a loss a month or two back, so I did poorly here overall. WTI's been dropping this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT