ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

I’d say the market was looking for a reason to sell off on an expensive multiple.

A dramatic but probably healthy move.
Looks like Powell really screwed up, again. 50 or 75 bps cut in Sept?

With this thinking in mind I bought a bunch of SweetGreen this week and may continue to add. Hoping it will be a long-term Chipotle type of play. I also like Cava but missed the boat and not sure Mediterranean type food/diet is as appealing to all.
Fun to see mention of SweetGreen. My daughter is one of the marketing directors at the company!

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I hope it turns around after today. I have 35% CD and treasuries to buy if we go down any further. Scary times. A lot of profit lost.

I hope it turns around after today. I have 35% CD and treasuries to buy if we go down any further. Scary times. A lot of profit lost.
Scary? Really? Good grief. It's perfectly normal behavior for the market. Enjoy the dip and add to positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU in IM
Scary? Really? Good grief. It's perfectly normal behavior of the market. Enjoy the dip and add to positions.
I changed my strategy and I’m buying and holding more especially since I have a taxable account. Most of the trading are in the IRA accounts with no tax implications. Normally buy and sell each quarter and would normally be in cash before the earning period, probably last week. I did get my profit out of UNH and META. I’ll be buying the techs again when they settle down.

I think this 19s to mid 20 and change area is an okay area to dip a toe in for some INTC. If that doesn’t hold then the crash lows could be next stop. It’s gonna get swallowed up with the overall market going down as well.

Get the cost cuts out of the way and a couple qtrs of bad news and hopefully that should clear the decks. If not then maybe that could clear the way for a new CEO search which could also lead to a turn.

Probably dead money for awhile though.

I changed my strategy and I’m buying and holding more especially since I have a taxable account. Most of the trading are in the IRA accounts with no tax implications. Normally buy and sell each quarter and would normally be in cash before the earning period, probably last week. I did get my profit out of UNH and META. I’ll be buying the techs again when they settle down.
Yeah, my personal account is taxable/brokerage as well, but I try not to let taxes get in the way of what I think is best (sometimes not easy). I am more of a holder anyway. We also have a very large brokerage account with E-Trade, but it's only 6 broad ETFs so that entire account is buy and hold.

My favorite category of stocks (dividend payers) like staples, utilities, telcoms are mixed to green in this deep red morning.

I think this 19s to mid 20 and change area is an okay area to dip a toe in for some INTC. If that doesn’t hold then the crash lows could be next stop. It’s gonna get swallowed up with the overall market going down as well.

Get the cost cuts out of the way and a couple qtrs of bad news and hopefully that should clear the decks. If not then maybe that could clear the way for a new CEO search which could also lead to a turn.

Probably dead money for awhile though.
I guess that is the question with INTC. Do you try to get in prior to a possible new CEO and sea change or wait for the announcement and miss the pop? Gotta imagine it will be soon.

Expectations of lower interest rates make dividend payers more attractive.
Yes sort of imo because over quite a few years they didn't react to interest rates the way I'd have expected them to...when rates were going up it wasn't like they came down much if at all, unless it was related to company specific news, as opposed to the greater interest rate environment. I thought they would and was waiting to add to some names but they never really did. I think today is more just a reaction to go to safety in times of turbulence.

I guess that is the question with INTC. Do you try to get in prior to a possible new CEO and sea change or wait for the announcement and miss the pop? Gotta imagine it will be soon.
I don't mind being in early. Most of the time I am in these "strategic knife catching" episodes. I add as it goes down if I think there's a chance for a turn down the line. It's just dumb luck if I pin point the exact bottom. I use charts, patterns, technicals to give me some guidance but it's still never certain regardless. I got into big tech names when they were crashing and META was the worst of bunch in that downturn. I got into it 30% off the high and it was still extremely early for that one. Tik Tok eating its lunch, user growth slowing etc.. I believed in the company so I bought the sucker at various points all the way down and that became the biggest winner of all the big techs I bought in that downturn. Mind you it's much easier to believe in a META (or any of the big techs) turn than an INTC but that just means I'll wade in slower and more safely and with less resources.

Most probably like to wait for the turn and see it break over and hold a key level like say 30 was for INTC. I'm not as big a fan of that because of exactly the kind of thing that's happened with INTC, I've seen happen with other stocks over the years. So I'm willing to be early and sit in the red (sometimes deep red) for a bit and wait. Having a dividend makes it easier to do that but it's still my general philosophy nonetheless.

It's in the area of support now in the 19s to mid 20 and change and it's likely broke through the 24-26 area support (doubt it would retake that any time soon) and so that's resistance. Just have to see if this area holds.

Outstanding intraday alert from Tom Lee and the FS Insights team. A few highlights - major fear and overreaction. Jobs report consistent with a soft landing. Market routinely is "ready, fire, aim" with any negative news. Technical damage has been done, so it will take a few days to shake out. Bull market and year end targets still in place. 73% chance of 50 bps cut in Sept. In the meanwhile, Powell speaks at Jackson Hole on August 22nd. Opportunities emerge when markets panic. And in coming days, this is the opportunity that will emerge.

Words of wisdom from one of the best in the business.

Made 75% on the TSLA puts. It made me happy. Makes me forget about how much I’m losing today.
Did you sell already (prior to them getting executed)? I have always read to dump contracts prior to having to transfer and buy all those shares.

Did you sell already (prior to them getting executed)? I have always read to dump contracts prior to having to transfer and buy all those shares.
If you exercise and hold for 12 mos, it’s LT capital gains. Maybe you do that on calls and you like the stock long term. I wouldn’t short a stock that long unless I think it’s going to zero.

Don’t most option traders do that? I don’t know that many actually exercise the option as opposed to just selling it.

You need less capital to trade like that too. Time decay and guessing how long it might take a move to occur was the biggest hurdle for me and why I stopped educating myself more on options.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Made 75% on the TSLA puts. It made me happy. Makes me forget about how much I’m losing today.
Bought TSLA shares in extended. I'd brag that I sold at $240 a couple weeks ago, but I too am getting crushed the last couple days.

Similarly been buying CRWD and SMCI well below where I sold.

Been adding throughout the portfolio as just about everything is in the red. Spent most of the cash in my trading account. Question now is, do I move money that I have in savings collecting 4.5%.

Don’t most option traders do that? I don’t know that many actually exercise the option as opposed to just selling it.

You need less capital to trade like that too. Time decay and guessing how long it might take a move to occur was the biggest hurdle for me and why I stopped educating myself more on options.
At the end of the day, somebody has to execute that option though right?

Bought TSLA shares in extended. I'd brag that I sold at $240 a couple weeks ago, but I too am getting crushed the last couple days.

Been adding throughout the portfolio as just about everything is in the red. Spent most of the cash in my trading account. Question now is, do I move money that I have in savings collecting 4.5%.
Added to TL's large cap stock list (including CRWD and SMCI). Added extra to AMZN, META, MSFT, and GOOGL. As for my individual stocks, added to LULU and UBER. Also added a new biotech.....IBRX (long story on this one). Finally, added to VOO in our Fidelity rollover IRA to keep appropriate allocation levels.

As for your question about savings, as Tom Lee said, market panic always brings great opportunity, but it may take a few more trading days for the dust to settle. I'm going to use this weekend to look for quality stocks that have gotten overly impacted by this dip for no business rationale (i.e., just caught up in the tide).

$500 mil isn’t a ton of money. But the tone from Bastion is rather adversarial. Not what you want from a business partner.
Who knows which others are lining up. Plus might not be a business partner in the future after this…also who knows which other businesses that might apply to as well.

Reactions: RU-05
I don't mind being in early. Most of the time I am in these "strategic knife catching" episodes. I add as it goes down if I think there's a chance for a turn down the line. It's just dumb luck if I pin point the exact bottom. I use charts, patterns, technicals to give me some guidance but it's still never certain regardless. I got into big tech names when they were crashing and META was the worst of bunch in that downturn. I got into it 30% off the high and it was still extremely early for that one. Tik Tok eating its lunch, user growth slowing etc.. I believed in the company so I bought the sucker at various points all the way down and that became the biggest winner of all the big techs I bought in that downturn. Mind you it's much easier to believe in a META (or any of the big techs) turn than an INTC but that just means I'll wade in slower and more safely and with less resources.

Most probably like to wait for the turn and see it break over and hold a key level like say 30 was for INTC. I'm not as big a fan of that because of exactly the kind of thing that's happened with INTC, I've seen happen with other stocks over the years. So I'm willing to be early and sit in the red (sometimes deep red) for a bit and wait. Having a dividend makes it easier to do that but it's still my general philosophy nonetheless.

It's in the area of support now in the 19s to mid 20 and change and it's likely broke through the 24-26 area support (doubt it would retake that any time soon) and so that's resistance. Just have to see if this area holds.

Intel went from bad to worse and now its going from worse to critical - and its threatening other sectors. "Like Boeing" is being used to describe Intel's current state of decay

Its being discovered that the "cpu problem" limited to 15-20% of its more recent, top end "enthusiast" processors is manifesting in other processors at other levels - and the failures are up to 75% with 100% for some chips being predicted. As the chips age they get worse and worse.. Chips are failing in server farms. Drivers for things like Nvidia graphics cards are buggering-up because of the cpu deterioration.

Microcode, firmware etc won't fix the problems because the problems are baked into construction. Don't believe Intel saying a "fix" is coming. Intel couldn't compete with AMD innovation so they goosed the cpus that Intel insiders confess were rushed. Intel put out poorly designed cpus being stressed-out by destructive voltages that don't even integrate well with motherboard bios editions (bios is like motherboard's OS and runs hardware before Windows is installed). Some of the oxidation issues trace to HVAC problems at the AZ fab. Software is a problem but Intel cant fix fubared hardware with code. Problems all around.

Intel is trying to stall the flood of customers demanding new CPUs, refunds etc. Intel said that if a person bought a pre-built CPU with "Intel Inside" that person has to go through the PC maker (called "system integrators'"). Dell, HP et al cant be happy about the bag-O-crap Intel just dropped on them. Admins cant be happy about their server farms with ticking time bombs inside. Just how many disasters can buggered-up servers cause around the world?

I got off Intel when I realized Intel CPU's were riddled with a few dozen exploits (no surprise Apple dropped them at the same time).

Cap of server issues for gaming service - ignore part about only "high end_ cpus

NEW INTEL CPUS LITERALLY FALLING APART

uKghwX3.jpeg

Last edited:

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathawaydumped nearly half of its gigantic Apple stake last quarter in a surprising move for the famously long-term-focused investor.

The Omaha-based conglomerate disclosed in its earnings filing that its holding in the iPhone maker was valued at $84.2 billion at the end of the second quarter, suggesting that the Oracle of Omaha offloaded a little more than 49% of the tech stake. Even after the selling Apple remains the largest stock stake by far for Berkshire.

Berkshire Hathaway’s cash pile swelled to a record $276.9 billion last quarter as Warren Buffett sold big chunks in stock holdings including Apple.

The Omaha-based conglomerate’s cash hoard jumped significantly higher from the previous record of $189 billion, set in the first quarter of 2024. The increase came after the Oracle of Omaha sold nearly half of his stake in Tim Cook-led tech giant in the second quarter.

Last edited:

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathawaydumped nearly half of its gigantic Apple stake last quarter in a surprising move for the famously long-term-focused investor.

The Omaha-based conglomerate disclosed in its earnings filing that its holding in the iPhone maker was valued at $84.2 billion at the end of the second quarter, suggesting that the Oracle of Omaha offloaded a little more than 49% of the tech stake. Even after the selling Apple remains the largest stock stake by far for Berkshire.

Berkshire Hathaway’s cash pile swelled to a record $276.9 billion last quarter as Warren Buffett sold big chunks in stock holdings including Apple.

The Omaha-based conglomerate’s cash hoard jumped significantly higher from the previous record of $189 billion, set in the first quarter of 2024. The increase came after the Oracle of Omaha sold nearly half of his stake in Tim Cook-led tech giant in the second quarter.
I didn’t look at the timing but is it possible dumping all the stock is what caused the price to plunge to the $170s?

I didn’t look at the timing but is it possible dumping all the stock is what caused the price to plunge to the $170s?
It looks like he sold too early. I guess he didn’t time it right.

I thought Buffett didn’t time the market.

Last edited:

It looks like he sold too early. I guess he didn’t time it right.

I thought Buffett didn’t time the market.
Did you guys read the article? I assumed it was for rebalancing and that was mentioned in the article. It’s a huge holding for them and it still is. No money manager wants a single stock to take up a huge percentage of the portfolio.

Secondly, tax purposes were mentioned. In case, capital gains tax go up in the future it will be more beneficial to sell some at present.

Are there other reasons, who knows. But those are 2, with the first being a fairly straightforward and obvious one considering the size of the position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT