ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

I see the paid post about BTC going to 1,000,000 is not there today on CNBC.com
Where is Cathie Wood when BTC needs her! She was one of the first pumpers talking $500K+ nonsense years ago. The Legend’s ARKK performance = annualized returns of negative 2.01% for the past 12 months, negative 28.35% for the past three years and negative 0.24% for five years. There is a better chance that BTC/crypto takes down the entire market at some point than it going to $1M.

I’ve been buying CMG and also started a position in SweetGreen. It seems like home-cooking may be dying a slow death as the younger generations aren’t interested in spending time cooking and it’s not like it saves you money thanks to inflation. Then you have these new pop-ups like Wonder (Marc Lore’s new thing) pumping meals out of stores like Walmart and you have to “wonder” if home-cooking and fine dining will ever make a come back.
CMG has some support in the low to mid 40s and with a recent low of 48. It's actually been down the last 3 months and it's early this month but currently in the red. It looks like it broke below its 200DMA tried to quickly retake it but been rejected as of now. It's hovering around it currently in the low 50s.

To those critics of this thread and certain participants, consider "perspective." You are eavesdropping on a continuing conversation. It is what it is. Nothing more. Move to another barstool or find another bar.

Their purpose is attacking posters rather than the threads subject. Doubt they move.

Where is Cathie Wood when BTC needs her! She was one of the first pumpers talking $500K+ nonsense years ago. The Legend’s ARKK performance = annualized returns of negative 2.01% for the past 12 months, negative 28.35% for the past three years and negative 0.24% for five years. There is a better chance that BTC/crypto takes down the entire market at some point than it going to $1M.

She has a bitcoin ETF

Bitcoin is up 26% ytd. No one needs her lol. At least get current with the predictions, it’s going to $13 million now.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Bitcoin is up 26% ytd. No one needs her lol. At least get current with the predictions, it’s going to $13 million now.
Only $13M?…why not $50M…$100M…these predictions are nothing more than social media nonsense. Pretty sure Saylor is the one that predicted BTC would reach $5M p/coin in 2021. Hmmm….I guess he was off by a bit…

Reactions: redking and mdk01
Only $13M?…why not $50M…$100M…these predictions are nothing more than social media nonsense. Pretty sure Saylor is the one that predicted BTC would reach $5M p/coin in 2021. Hmmm….I guess he was off by a bit…
A year or two ago $100k predictions were laughed at. Now that’s pretty well within reach. Bitcoin has proven to be a cyclical creature. Victory laps when it’s at its highs or lows can look pretty foolish...
Yeah, but with all due respect, while both of our views have never changed, the landscape certainly has. Predictions for BTC $100K and the crypto revolution/hype are on a steep downslide just as I predicted. I wouldn’t be surprised if BTC is under $5K in the next 6 months. All of the negative media attention, lack of mainstream use, and mounting losses with investors spell doom. Plus, the SEC will start cracking down leading to even more trouble. Now, with that said, my investment portfolio of legit companies has taken a beating to so I’m no pretending that buying stocks aren’t a gamble either.

A year or two ago $100k predictions were laughed at. Now that’s pretty well within reach. Bitcoin has proven to be a cyclical creature. Victory laps when it’s at its highs or lows can look pretty foolish...
Do you think Saylor, with his massive pile of BTC, is going to say anything other than it’s going to $13M…$100K…$10M…???…come on this is silly. In the end, he could be right. I could be right. Who knows. But the length of time and major financial system overhaul it will take to send BTC to $13M… everyone on this thread will long be dead and our grand kids will be using their BTC to buy oxygen rations while living on the planet Mars. After all, that’s where Satoshi Nakamoto currently resides.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Do you think Saylor, with his massive pile of BTC, is going to say anything other than it’s going to $13M…$100K…$10M…???…come on this is silly. In the end, he could be right. I could be right. Who knows. But the length of time and major financial system overhaul it will take to send BTC to $13M… everyone on this thread will long be dead and our grand kids will be using their BTC to buy oxygen rations while living on the planet Mars. After all, that’s where Satoshi Nakamoto currently resides.
I don’t believe any of these predictions, they are fun to laugh at. But what about your $5k Bitcoin, doom spiral, SEC is going to crackdown prediction? That’s a fun one too.

Reactions: ScarletNut
I don’t believe any of these predictions, they are fun to laugh at. But what about your $5k Bitcoin, doom spiral, SEC is going to crackdown prediction? That’s a fun one too.
The SEC was signaling a crackdown…until they didn’t…which was largely driven by incompetence and succumbing to lobbying efforts. With all the insider trading that goes on every day, hedge funds paying off politicians and regulators, algos wreaking havoc, etc. the SEC is probably the most useless gov’t agency we piss away tax dollars on. And I still think $5K BTC is a possibility as well as a crypto meltdown at some point. IMO the fact that gold is still ripping says a lot. But who knows…

Define well within reach? Needs to almost double to hit it.

Define well within reach? Needs to almost double to hit it.
The last two post halving dumps (this weekend could end up being that dump, timing wise it lines up well) saw a 3x gain in <6 months in 2016 and 4x gain in <6 months in 2020. We are now within that range.

Past performance is not indicative of future results, unless you believe that its cycles are becoming more reliable.

Jim Rickards ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Rickards )

Says Mon a damaging crash but not 1929 or 1988. Worse than a big crash can be a flat/dead market for 10-15years .
Economy already in a severe recession - been around awhile and "big money" knows it - repricing hides the pace - then "oops".
A Snowflake becomes avalanche on way to visible phase transition .
Bubbles easy to see - hard to predict the pop - tech spent too much on AI - billions went in but no return

Economic stuff after 3:07

Jim Rickards ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Rickards )

Says Mon a damaging crash but not 1929 or 1988. Worse than a big crash can be a flat/dead market for 10-15years .
Economy already in a severe recession - been around awhile and "big money" knows it - repricing hides the pace - then "oops".
A Snowflake becomes avalanche on way to visible phase transition .
Bubbles easy to see - hard to predict the pop - tech spent too much on AI - billions went in but no return

Economic stuff after 3:07

This is proving to be true - randomly spoke to a landscaping/nursery owner yesterday said it was his worst year in last 5…another guy I know that has a wholesale business servicing restaurants said his numbers are way down and not getting better.

Reactions: ashokan
Vix down 38% today. SVIX “only” up 22%. So not a direct inverse. Wonder if there is a catch up after the fact.

The vix puts were the better trade.
Yeah, I noticed it was only up 15% today. Can't complain, but maybe those VIX puts were a better idea?

FYI - ZETA rebounded nicely today.

Last edited:
This is proving to be true - randomly spoke to a landscaping/nursery owner yesterday said it was his worst year in last 5…another guy I know that has a wholesale business servicing restaurants said his numbers are way down and not getting better.

Restaurants, bakeries, grocery stores have been closing every month for a year locally.
CVS and Walgreens closing (but they overbuilt imo)
ShopRite closing 10 stores, Entenman's and Freihofers closing .
NY above West Point and west of Hudson is on path to Appalachia (a good bit of it was already there).
NY State itself looking like people from Venezuela running it

"Another 81 New York workers will be laid off this Fall when a Hudson Valley manufacturing plant is officially acquired by another company and moves out of state. It's a news story that seems all too familiar in the Hudson Valley. Since February, hundreds of Hudson Valley factory workers have been laid off in a series of announcements about the mergers, closings or downsizing of businesses operating in New York State."

https://wpdh.com/more-hudson-valley-ny-layoffs/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Vix down 38% today. SVIX “only” up 22%. So not a direct inverse. Wonder if there is a catch up after the fact.

The vix puts were the better trade.
Be very careful with these synthetic volatility ETFs. They're constructed as a portfolio of options with different durations. They roll the portfolio to keep a similar composition, but there is inherent time decay built into that process so the instruments constantly drift downwards.

If the market didn't move, these products would continuously erode to zero. They are viable investments for short / very short term only.

You can Google this if dont believe me.

Be very careful with these synthetic volatility ETFs. They're constructed as a portfolio of options with different durations. They roll the portfolio to keep a similar composition, but there is inherent time decay built into that process so the instruments constantly drift downwards.

If the market didn't move, these products would continuously erode to zero. They are viable investments for short / very short term only.

You can Google this if dont believe me.
I figured there is a decay component with this. And don’t plan to stay in long.

But since the 2022 market lows, svix was up 4x.

Prior to the last couple weeks at least.

So there is a recent history of this being a formidable hold.

Reactions: redking
I got out of Dis just a month or so ago, but if streaming is now turning a profit, is it time already to get back in?

Rev growth moving fwd looks modest, but EPS growth expected to be very strong.

SMCI is one I got back in too early on.

But currently below 20x next years expected EPS.

Now can we question next years expected given then just missed on EPS? Sure, but they didn't miss on rev's, rev's which were up 150ish% yoy. Looks like it's currently a little over 2x price to rev's. Rev's which are expected to grow over another 50% into next year.

Momentum is currently going the wrong way, but this is cheap on a bunch of metrics.

I got out of Dis just a month or so ago, but if streaming is now turning a profit, is it time already to get back in?

I was thinking the same thing. Had a very good trade with DIS earlier this year, might as well try again!

Reactions: RU-05
I was thinking the same thing. Had a very good trade with DIS earlier this year, might as well try again!
If streaming can maintain profitability, and Disney can get back to making content that excites people, I think the stock would take off.

Maybe some upgrades in creative is the key.

TOST with a double beat, swung to profitability, 25+% rev growth yoy.

Down about 4%. Figure that is just some profit taking.

3.26 price to rev's. Probably a little lower given today's move.

First streaming was the issue which now is starting to come around so now it’s the parks lol. Although, they think parks will come around too eventually. Inside Out 2 and Deadpool have been good winners for them.

I’ve said this a few times here..80s has been pretty strong support for DIS with the low end of the range high 70s low 80s. It’s held that area before the pandemic, during and after so it’s not a terrible spot to step in.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-05 and T2Kplus20
First streaming was the issue which now is starting to come around so not is the parks lol. Although, they think parks will come around too eventually. Inside Out 2 and Deadpool have been good winners for them.

I’ve said this a few times here..80s has been pretty strong support for DIS with the low end of the range high 70s low 80s. It’s held that area before the pandemic, during and after so it’s not a terrible spot to step in.
Last year, I was able to get in just below $80. Not sure it will get all the way there this time, but DIS isn't going anywhere and parks will get back on track with all the additional investments being planned. Might be a good spot for leap calls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT