ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Awesome timing on my part. Up almost 40-45% in 1 month. Of all of @T2Kplus20 recommendation, this is the only one of the only ones I have ever bought. Hopefully this not your Cathy Wood moment.
I hope it becomes my TSLA of 2018-2021! Any thoughts on the Mag 7 and which one is the best buy the dip candidate?

PLTR continues to perform well.

PLTR is once again ripping. Closing above $30 was a big plus. Let's see if it can hold that level and move up to ~$32. At that point, $30 will become new support. I've always told people to buy and hold it forever and pass it not their progeny unless something bad happens to that company. They also have a good mix of conservatives and liberals on their board which makes them more immune to political swings. I guess that is a good thing considering how much of their revenues come from the government.

I hope it becomes my TSLA of 2018-2021! Any thoughts on the Mag 7 and which one is the best buy the dip candidate?

PLTR continues to perform well.
I am looking to buy NVDA into this dip. META, AMZN, AAPL and GOOG are next on the list and in that order. MSFT is good but upside is capped for now. Open AI creating their own search engine hurts Bing more than anyone. TSLA looks like dead money and shouldn't even be in the Mag 7. Elon needs to return to his old approach and stop crapping on his customer base.

I am looking to buy NVDA into this dip. META, AMZN, AAPL and GOOG are next on the list and in that order. MSFT is good but upside is capped for now. Open AI creating their own search engine hurts Bing more than anyone. TSLA looks like dead money and shouldn't even be in the Mag 7. Elon needs to return to his old approach and stop crapping on his customer base.
Good insights, thanks. By the way, do you have a simple explanation for last Monday and the crazy yen/carry trade panic? I read about it a bunch of times but still don't fully understand it. LOL!

CRWD almost feels like it has another leg lower. My inclination is to wait until it is drops to $175-185 before starting a position here. They do have a lot of competition and I am pretty sure it is easy to switch from one company to another.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
Good insights, thanks. By the way, do you have a simple explanation for last Monday and the crazy yen/carry trade panic? I read about it a bunch of times but still don't fully understand it. LOL!
Yen carry trade was definitely a part of the correction along with the poor jobs report. Yen carry trade is simply being able to borrow money at a low interest rate and investing it back into a country with higher interest rate. Easy money. We were quite busy the past few weeks sorting it out, but never fear there no shortage of low interest rate and stable ways to borrow.

CRWD almost feels like it has another leg lower. My inclination is to wait until it is drops to $175-185 before starting a position here. They do have a lot of competition and I am pretty sure it is easy to switch from one company to another.
I own CRWD, PANW, and ZS. Aggressively bought the dip on the latter two, but not CRWD yet.

Are you a holder or trader of BTC? Seems like institutional support is growing. The data suggests they bought the BTC dip on Monday big time.

I own CRWD, PANW, and ZS. Aggressively bought the dip on the latter two, but not CRWD yet.

Are you a holder or trader of BTC? Seems like institutional support is growing. The data suggests they bought the BTC dip on Monday big time.
I do own BTC but it isn't a substantial portion of my portfolio. I haven't seen enough use for it in everyday scenario for my to make a bigger investment in it. Institutions are buying it because their investors want it and there is a chance it can make money for them. Not too many serious investors feel like something this volatile can be used to any day to day financial transactions. Even Elon stopped accepting it to buy a Tesla.

I purchased a stake In CAVA in the mid $70's. Good long term play. I have a feeling the earnings will disappoint this time around.
SG crushed earnings last week jumped over 20%. I like CAVA too and think there is a good chance they beat. I also bought BROS on the recent earnings plunge - it’s got a cult like following and should undergo massive expansion in the next 5 years.

Reactions: RU-05
Reactions: T2Kplus20 and RU-05
CMG CEO moving to SBUX...CMG down8% and SBUX 17% up on the news in the premarket...takes CMG below the 200DMA after its 2nd attempt trying to retake it...conversely SBUX has a gap up above the 200 DMA

I'd still be more interested in CMG on the weakness than SBUX on the strength

CMG really turned around when Brian Niccol took over the company. I would be careful jumping into this name too quickly. Investing in the food industry can be very tricky.

This pullback is really hurting the AI software companies. Start planning your future purchases now... I am looking at better levels on SOUN, PLTR, BBAI, CXAI to name a few. Some of these names won't work out, but hopefully a few of these will be home runs.
CXAI is tearing it up today. PLTR is a long term winner and SOUN looks to be a winner as well. Jury is still out on BBAI

Increase my NVDA and AMZN yesterday base on your comment. Still wary about AAPL due to Buffett. Also have CRM and AVGO. any thoughts on them.

CMG really turned around when Brian Niccol took over the company. I would be careful jumping into this name too quickly. Investing in the food industry can be very tricky.
Not in it. Would take a look if it ever dropped into the mid 30s to lower 40s area. It's had a nice run of 7 green months in a row but has since followed up by 3 red months, not including this one.

Link on halftime seems to like it 30% off the highs, Terranova not as enthusiastic about it on valuation.

I do agree management is a big deal though. GE is always my shining example of that.

Mentioned on halftiime just now that Peltz (I've luckily been in stocks that he's gone into at times) had built a substantial stake in SBUX but has gotten out now on this news.

SBUX a buy with the new CEO?
I sold my entire position on the news although I only had 7% gain b/c DCA’d a bunch after started buying in the high eighties. I may jump back in at some point. I bought more CMG this morning around $49. I would like to think the executive team learned from the former CEO and it’s already down 30% from recent highs.

anyone have thoughts on SNAP? It’s gotten annihilated yet seems like every kid uses it and still has a solid niche

anyone have thoughts on SNAP? It’s gotten annihilated yet seems like every kid uses it and still has a solid niche
Great product, bad business (at least to date). It happens. However, with the right leadership, I'm sure they can figure out how to better monetize the platform. Question is, when will they get the right leaders?

PLTR is once again ripping. Closing above $30 was a big plus. Let's see if it can hold that level and move up to ~$32. At that point, $30 will become new support. I've always told people to buy and hold it forever and pass it not their progeny unless something bad happens to that company. They also have a good mix of conservatives and liberals on their board which makes them more immune to political swings. I guess that is a good thing considering how much of their revenues come from the government.
It only took 3 years but the stock finally recovered ;) Glad you got in at the basement, but for those who got in around $25 we're not ready to uncork the best champagne

T2K has it right.

The only thing I'd add is, this is down near the bottom end of the range it has traded at for 2 years.
Those who bought at this level have been rewarded.....at least over the past few years.

Last edited:
T2K has it right.

The only thing I'd add is, this is down near the bottom end of the range it has traded at for 2 years.
Not one for me but I'd say 7-10 range is a place it could meander for awhile unless some really good news or bad news happens.

On another note, INTC still holding that 19 to 20 and change support level I mentioned when it tanked. It could stabilize around there, unless the overall market has any issues. Wouldn't expect any significant upward movement though any time soon.

Siegel on Closing bell. Mia Culpa tour after his "emergency 75 basis points cut(and then another 75 in sept)" call.

Says last weeks jobless claims coming in lower then the previous week surprised him...... He should have read my post.

So looking at todays jobless claims number in context to historical numbers.

1)There does look to be a seasonal aspect to this. Something to do with the auto industry. This was the highest number since Aug last year. That obviously was not the precursor to a recession. Or even higher numbers. In 2022 jobless claims peaked July 30th with 229 claims and were back down below 200K in Sept. In 2023 they peaked Aug 5th with 258K claims, and were back to 200K by Oct.

2) Prior to 2014, jobless claim numbers below 300K were exceedingly rare. Just a handful of weeks each decade going back to about 1975. Is that due to change in policy? Maybe workforce participation?

3)There have been 7 recessions since 1972. There was a strong run up of jobless claims prior to 3 of those recessions, which on the surface one might say that doesn't make for much of an indicator. But of the 4 which did not see a jobless claim increase prior, one of those was Covid. Another the GFC. Another the oil embargo. And one quickly followed a previous recession in the early 80's. So, excluding the double dip, over the last 50 years years a steady rise in jobless claims, or a black swan event has preceded every recession.

Siegel on Closing bell. Mia Culpa tour after his "emergency 75 basis points cut(and then another 75 in sept)" call.

Says last weeks jobless claims coming in lower then the previous week surprised him...... He should have read my post.
Good to hear that from the Professor. However, he is correct. Powell/Fed are behind the curve again and we need to start moving to neutral ASAP. It would be a shame if we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Eyeing DIS for another trade opportunity. Worked out well last time. Hoping for it to dip below $85.

Good to hear that from the Professor. However, he is correct. Powell/Fed are behind the curve again and we need to start moving to neutral ASAP. It would be a shame if we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Eyeing DIS for another trade opportunity. Worked out well last time. Hoping for it to dip below $85.
Siegel has been looking for a more dovish fed, and been wrong in doing so, for going on 2 years.

Economy remains strong. Recent jobless claims(as I noted) and unemployment numbers(see growing work force) have been misleading.

As per Dis? I'd like to get in as an investment not a trade, but it's been a terrible investment for years now. But I'll be watching.

Just bought some LYFT in extended.

Been cut in half since March highs. Falling knife? Hope not but we are down near support. .8x on revs. Which are growing.

Been fcf positive for the last 4 qtrs. Has beat on EPS every qtr for the last 4 years.

Uber is one of my biggest positions, been thinking about LYFT for awhile, heard some big name upped their stake in a big way. Figured I'd follow that in.

Been cut in half since March highs. Falling knife? Hope not but we are down near support. .8x on revs. Which are growing.

Been fcf positive for the last 4 qtrs. Has beat on EPS every qtr for the last 4 years.

Uber is one of my biggest positions, been thinking about LYFT for awhile, heard some big name upped their stake in a big way. Figured I'd follow that in.
Hmm, their tech and network just seem so far behind UBER. But, anything can be a good trade! :)

As is the stock.

Just like the cheap/growing/support/big investor jumping in combo.
I guess I do the same thing. I review quarter reports of my favorite mutual funds/portfolio managers and see who they are buying. FDGRX, PRWCX, DODGX, and PRWAX.

Interesting... LYFT is not looking good technically or fundamentally. Hopefully for you, it has bottomed and a new trend is about to emerge.

Reactions: RU-05 and T2Kplus20
Jobless claims fall again.

Retail sales come in way above expectations. Up 1% vs .3% expected.

Is a Sept cut now in question?

Markets up though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT