ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sunshine Protection Act

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Marco Rubio and seven other United States senators reintroduced the Sunshine Protection Act, a bill that would make Daylight Saving Time (DST) permanent across the country.

Seems like a waste of time, but I'd dig it. Prefer daylight savings time and can't stand when it gets dark at 5 p.m. But that's because I don't have to go to work early - don't much like dragging myself out of bed when it's still dark, either.

Don't see it becoming a thing. A couple states still don't even use DST (which is annoying when visiting).

Marco Rubio and seven other United States senators reintroduced the Sunshine Protection Act, a bill that would make Daylight Saving Time (DST) permanent across the country.

Daylight savings is one of the dumbest things we do as a country. I don't care if we don't celebrate it or make it permanent, just stop the ridiculous time changes. Making it permanent will inspire some idiot to propose bringing it back after a few years. Then another idiot will propose to make that permanent. After a several more iterations, noon will be at midnight.

Last edited:
Reactions: scripts
Just about everyone in the country. Nobody cares about sunrises. That’s why everyone complains in the cold months when it’s dark by 5pm.

Last edited:
This law was put in when America had a ton of family farms. Giving farmers and their crops an extra hour of sunlight. While not a huge issue to me either way, Arizona for one doesn't recognize DST, just on the studies that show more accidents happen and there is an uptick in medical emergencies around the time we spring forward or fall back, Congress might do away with it. Personally I think it is sad but the family farms have been replaced by corporate farms in many cases. Bill Gates now owns the most farmland in America.

• Wow
Reactions: redking
This law was put in when America had a ton of family farms. Giving farmers and their crops an extra hour of sunlight. While not a huge issue to me either way, Arizona for one doesn't recognize DST, just on the studies that show more accidents happen and there is an uptick in medical emergencies around the time we spring forward or fall back, Congress might do away with it. Personally I think it is sad but the family farms have been replaced by corporate farms in many cases. Bill Gates now owns the most farmland in America.

This is an often repeated myth.
Farmers work sun up to sun down. They do not care about what time the clock says.

DST was implemented to save energy as office buildings and factories use less energy for lighting with it in place. Extending it to 12 months would have the opposite effect in northern states as more lighting will be needed in the morning hours in winter.

This is an often repeated myth.
Farmers work sun up to sun down. They do not care about what time the clock says.

DST was implemented to save energy as office buildings and factories use less energy for lighting with it in place. Extending it to 12 months would have the opposite effect in northern states as more lighting will be needed in the morning hours in winter.
Agree to disagree. As with any issue it is multifaceted. Farmers work very hard yes all day, however what I said was used to sell it when it was first put in. I was not and would not knock farmers. I wish we had more family farms.

it was actually started for energy savings.....sunlight at different time of day..

and the British farmers opposed daylight savings...

Willett’s Daylight Saving plan caught the attention of the British Member of Parliament Robert Pearce who introduced a bill to the House of Commons in February 1908. The first Daylight Saving Bill was drafted in 1909, presented to Parliament several times and examined by a select committee. However, the idea was opposed by many, especially farmers, so the bill was never made into a law.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html

Agree to disagree. As with any issue it is multifaceted. Farmers work very hard yes all day, however what I said was used to sell it when it was first put in. I was not and would not knock farmers. I wish we had more family farms.
No one said you were knocking farmers.
What I said was that daylight savings had nothing to do with farms or farmers.
It was an energy savings measure that had to do with how many hours buildings need to be lighted.
It essentially made it so that offices and factories operate less outside of daylight hours.

Reactions: Jimpeg
It’s for the farmers. Not to say I understand it. Where’s our Monmouth county farmer-in-residence?? Maybe he can explain it.
It’s all about crop planting for our Midwest Farmers.

5-an3_3.jpg

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Daylight savings is one of the dumbest things we do as a country. I don't care if we don't celebrate it or make it permanent, just stop the ridiculous time changes. Making it permanent will inspire some idiot to propose bringing it back after a few years. Then another idiot will propose to make that permanent. After a several more iterations, noon will be at midnight.
Nothing better than daylight savings time. The farmers don’t care anymore. The few hours lost in sleep is quickly forgotten. The ability to be out in daylight is conducive to a better feeling . Long Live Daylight Savings Time

Reactions: Jimpeg and ArminRU
Nothing better than daylight savings time. The farmers don’t care anymore. The few hours lost in sleep is quickly forgotten. The ability to be out in daylight is conducive to a better feeling . Long Live Daylight Savings Time
I like it the way it is, makes the summer more fun
who cares what time it is in the winter you are
stuck inside anyway.

Last edited:
stuck inside anyway.
Just more political bull ship.

The change wouldn’t effect the summer. It just wouldn’t get dark at 4pm in the winter, which the large majority of the population hates.

stuck inside anyway.
Just more political bull ship.
Of course NickKnight every few years it seems since I’m a kid after 1966 when it really took hold. The same people who clamor for let’s live in darkness will be complaining for DST . The farmers don’t care either way.

I would be in school for almost 2 hours before the sun came up haha.
I would be getting up to go to work 4 hours before the sun came up . WTF ? I have a day job not a darkness / lightness job . We are not Alaska .

Reactions: gef21
I would be getting up to go to work 4 hours before the sun came up . WTF ? I have a day job not a darkness / lightness job . We are not Alaska .
You do realize people have been getting up to go to work in darkness for many, many years. Some almost never see the light. Ask around ...it is a nice thing and especially in a 2021 society where people actually are now craving some normal existence outside in warmer weather.

You do realize people have been getting up to go to work in darkness for many, many years. Some almost never see the light. Ask around ...it is a nice thing and especially in a 2021 society where people actually are now craving some normal existence outside in warmer weather.
I am joking. I get up at 4:30 now and it is dark . I start at 6:00 at it is dark. Been working at this job for 20 1/2 years. I am used to it , could care less !

Reactions: RUBOB72
Shit, when I used to commute in and out of NYC I wouldn't see the sun during the week. Leave house at 7am, in NYC by 830 (so got 10 minutes of sun) and then gone from work 530, home at 7, back to darkness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT