ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Syracuse University recruiting in New Jersey in 2017

Syracuse's 2016 class had exactly ZERO players from New Jersey OR New York. When was the last time that happened? Granted they were a program in transition as were we so I won't read into it too much, however, I also do not believe that in Babers' first full year he's going to raid NJ. Let me see them take one guy we want over Ash first and then I will give it a thought.
He had some committed but they went another direction. Babers will never get the best NJ recruits. They will go to Michigan, Ohio st, Penn st, Michigan st Rutgers first

Reactions: socaldave
Thank you, you've now said you will be following Syracuse recruiting more closely in each of your last four posts...why a Pitt fan is posting about Syracuse recruiting on a Rutgers board is a little weird, don't you think? RU certainly isn't threatened by Syracuae but sounds like Pitt fans are so good luck with that.
Oh goodie...a cat fight.

This is from City-Data.com

Here's the top 10, look who came in 5th.
Top 101 cities with the highest average snowfall in a year (population 50,000+)
RankCitySnowfall1.
Youngstown, OH (housing) (pop. 65,184)395.1 in2.
Flint, MI (housing) (pop. 99,763)222.4 in3.
Toledo, OH (housing) (pop. 282,313)185.0 in4.
Philadelphia, PA (housing) (pop. 1,553,165)177.8 in5.
Camden, NJ (housing) (pop. 76,903)140.3 in6.
Springfield, OH (housing) (pop. 59,357)132.6 in7.
Cincinnati, OH (housing) (pop. 297,517)130.3 in8.
Buffalo, NY (housing) (pop. 258,959)112.0 in9.
Gary, IN (housing) (pop. 78,450)101.9 in10.
Schenectady, NY (housing) (pop. 65,902)96.1 in11.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html#ixzz40SJqUHvN
Are you lacking a brain? Did you not look at the data you posted and think, this makes no sense. Philadelphia gets 30 inches more snow than Camden, which is directly across the river? Buffalo gets less snow than Philadelphia? Did you not look at that data and say to yourself, maybe I should check another source.
Gotta say....

this is most animated of a post I have ever seen coming from @Upstream.

I like it. Nice job money3189 in bringing it out of him.

Reactions: money3189
Gotta say....

I respectfully aim to bring the best out of people. I thought I would get props that supports my claim. Getting credit for this was a surprise. I am honored though

Last edited:
I don't think the claim about Philly getting 30 inches more in snow totals than Camden is off base. Where would prefer to land if you were a snowflake?

Reactions: mychaljohn
Gotta say....

Utter stupidity is one of my pet peeves.

I don't mind when people post opinions that I don't agree with. I don't even mind when people are argumentative just for the sake of arguing. But I can't understand how supposedly college-educated people can post stuff that is just so obviously wrong.

It isn't like Money didn't look at the data he posted; he commented that Camden was on the list. As his follow-up comment made clear, he just didn't care whether his claims had any basis in reality.

Reactions: Arizona Knight

I don't mind when people post opinions that I don't agree with. I don't even mind when people are argumentative just for the sake of arguing. But I can't understand how supposedly college-educated people can post stuff that is just so obviously wrong.

It isn't like Money didn't look at the data he posted; he commented that Camden was on the list. As his follow-up comment made clear, he just didn't care whether his claims had any basis in reality.
I imagined this look on your face when you read what he posted...

What do you guys think about this.

I was reading the Rivals article, "Recruiting Predictions for 2017 - ACC" but was totally surprised/shocked that they are predicting that Syracuse (Dino Babbers) will have the 4th best recruiting class in 2017 in the ACC.

I have no idea why they think Syracuse will be so successful recruiting, but if they are what impact might they have on recruiting in New Jersey.

I guess I will now be following Ash vs Babbers recruiting 2017.

I know many on this board dismiss Syracuse but where there is smoke there is fire.

Do you think Syracuse will make serious in roads in recruiting New Jersey.

Rivals also has a similar article relating to the B1G recruiting 2017.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Yawn...

No impact on their games, but they have to live with it during the off season.
To live with it? I hear u brother but they are 18-22 year olds that have to deal with snow for 3 months a year for 4 years. Thats a total of 12 months out of their entire life. They can deal with that. They are not 70 year olds retiring there.

It was obviously a joke. I guess you haven't realize that yet. Its not that serious. I will continue to support Cuse and any NE program. I just sent a kid from my program to rutgers jr day. No ill intent.

Last edited:
To live with it? I hear u brother but they are 18-22 year olds that have to deal with snow for 3 months a year for 4 years. Thats a total of 12 months out of their entire life. They can deal with that. They are not 70 year olds retiring there.

Like you said, they have to deal with it.

Syracuse heavily sells the dome. All home games will be played in a dry environment that is not freezing. I am not trying to say that the place is a great place to play in, but it sure as hell beats some of the days just about every other player has to deal with in Northeast. This pretty much takes the "arctic" comments out of the equation for the players.
As for recruiting Jersey, they certainly have more "stain" than Rutgers. Even if it is kind of ancient history to these young kids.

It was obviously a joke. I guess you haven't realize that yet. Its not that serious. I will continue to support Cuse and any NE program. I just sent a kid from my program to rutgers jr day. No ill intent.
Wipe your face and get off your knees. It's embarrassing.

The Rochester & Buffalo areas are #1 and #2 in average annual snowfall.

Link: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/snowiest-cities.php

Here are the actual figures on snowfall:

City......................Inches.....Centremetres
Rochester, New York 99.5 252.7
Buffalo, New York 94.7 240.5
Cleveland, Ohio 68.1 173.0
Salt Lake City, Utah 56.2 142.7
Minneapolis, Minnesota 54.0 137.2
Denver, Colorado 53.8 136.7
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 46.9 119.1
Boston, Massachusetts 43.8 111.3
Detroit, Michigan 42.7 108.5
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 41.9 106.4
Hartford, Connecticut 40.5 102.9
Chicago, Illinois 36.7 93.2
Providence, Rhode Island 33.8 85.9
Columbus, Ohio 27.5 69.9
Indianapolis, Indiana 25.9 65.8
New York, New York 25.1 63.8

Given that the college football season ends around early December snow really isn't an issue. A bigger issue is location. If Syracuse was a great college town or a thriving city remote location in upstate new york wouldn't matter. But it's neither of those things. It must be hard to have a good time up there.

Given that the college football season ends around early December snow really isn't an issue. A bigger issue is location. If Syracuse was a great college town or a thriving city remote location in upstate new york wouldn't matter. But it's neither of those things. It must be hard to have a good time up there.

But as a student you have to live in that Tundra in December, January, February and March or even April. The area averages 8 inches of snow in the month of November and 27 inches in December.

Last edited:
Yeah but it makes sense to determine coaching, scheme and X's and O's base on weather they will never play games in.

It's not just about football weather. Syracuse, at times, is buried in snow; that's not every kids cup of tea. It's just a fact.

Anything is possible and while I know very little about Babers, he's a fresh start and you never know if he can bottle lightning. That said, I'm willing to bet everything I own that he won't have the 4th best class in the ACC next year. No way he will beat Clemson, FSU, Miami. If Babers beat out everyone else, that would place his class at 4th. There are a slew of new coaches in the ACC, but Pitt looks strong under Narduzzi, Virginia Tech seems to be undergoing a rebirth following the stagnation under Beamer, Fedora seems to have plenty of recruiting success at UNC. I think Mendenhall could have success at UVA. Bobby Petrino can get guys at the Ville. So someone is going to tell me Babers will beat all these guys? Yeah, don't think so.

What do you guys think about this.

I was reading the Rivals article, "Recruiting Predictions for 2017 - ACC" but was totally surprised/shocked that they are predicting that Syracuse (Dino Babbers) will have the 4th best recruiting class in 2017 in the ACC.

I have no idea why they think Syracuse will be so successful recruiting, but if they are what impact might they have on recruiting in New Jersey.

I guess I will now be following Ash vs Babbers recruiting 2017.

I know many on this board dismiss Syracuse but where there is smoke there is fire.

Do you think Syracuse will make serious in roads in recruiting New Jersey.

Rivals also has a similar article relating to the B1G recruiting 2017.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Smoke fire troll

Reactions: rurichdog
The interesting thing is that SU has 3 indoor practice facilities. The only team in the country with 3. So the players wont play in the snow or cold.
Yes but they will live in it. Give me a break.

But as a student you have to live in that Tundra in December, January, February and March or even April. The area averages 8 inches of snow in the month of November and 27 inches in December.
It's really a very sad place

You're the one on a Rutgers site debating anything said about SU. Maybe you should go so don't have to answer every post you dislike.
What? What was the debate about? lol. The weather? I made a comment about how I was joking about weather then you came in with a insult. Syracuse is cold in the winters and its snow a lot. Always did and always will. Ok, who cares? It has no barring on the game. Talk about how much they suck on the field. It doesn't bother me lol. I actually encourage it. That's more relevant than the weather.

They sucked before, they suck now, they will suck in the future.

It was fun beating up on them the last 10 years but they moved over and we moved up.

Outside of maybe offering them a one and done as our Homecoming game, they will never have the privilege of playing us again. Let their players jump in the stands to beat up 12 year old boys of other schools. They offer nothing other than a win.

They sucked before, they suck now, they will suck in the future.

It was fun beating up on them the last 10 years but they moved over and we moved up.

Outside of maybe offering them a one and done as our Homecoming game, they will never have the privilege of playing us again. Let their players jump in the stands to beat up 12 year old boys of other schools. They offer nothing other than a win.
Cali I will never forget being president of the Rutgers So cal club in the early 90s we started a Big East Softball alumni league. We did it for a couple of seasons, everyone was pretty cool from the other teams, except for the Syracuse team. What bunch of arrogant arse holes.

Syracuse heavily sells the dome. All home games will be played in a dry environment that is not freezing. I am not trying to say that the place is a great place to play in, but it sure as hell beats some of the days just about every other player has to deal with in Northeast. This pretty much takes the "arctic" comments out of the equation for the players.
As for recruiting Jersey, they certainly have more "stain" than Rutgers. Even if it is kind of ancient history to these young kids.
I don't think any recruit ever thought Syracuse was good in football. I 'm 60 and I don't remember when Syracuse was good. I didn't alway watch college football. Were they good in the 70's? That is over 45 years ago.

Last edited:
You know the one thing I really never never understood with Syracuse...If they really made a concerted effort around a 3 hour radius from their campus, held camps, push hard for the local kids, they can get 8-10 local kids every year that are decent D1 prospects. Rochester and Albany is always good for 1 or 2 kids a year....The Poconos is only a 2.5-3 hour trip dead south on 81 from Syracuse where they could have gotten for example Battle, and Milford Academy one of the top prep schools in the NE is only a little more than an hour away from campus. Yet they have this idea that they can recruit nationally, and lose probably 80% of the kids who's closest D1 campus is Cuse. There are times when I laugh there have been one or two kids in the Rochester area who's final two schools were Rutgers and BC...both schools the kid had to drive through Syracuse to get to....

I don't think any recruit ever thought Syracuse was good in football. I 'm 60 and I don't remember when Syracuse was good. I didn't alway watch college football. Were they good in the 70's? That is over 45 years ago.

For most of the 70s, Syracuse U. was one of the worst teams in college football, multiple seasons of just 2 and 3 wins ... so the answer to your question is no. 80s and 90s was a different story.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Cali I will never forget being president of the Rutgers So cal club in the early 90s we started a Big East Softball alumni league. We did it for a couple of seasons, everyone was pretty cool from the other teams, except for the Syracuse team. What bunch of arrogant arse holes.

Arrogant? My experience is they were just losers, outside of the few laxers I know from there. Good dudes, but no one will say the are producing Mensa members.

The best part of being in the B1G is rubbing elbows with real fan bases now. That and the money we are about to print. What a massive upgrade. The acc now has to deal with those fat hard hat wearing knuckle draggers.

Dropping a bunch of losses in their face was the perfect way to leave that quasi association.

I am old enough to remember Jim Brown though i was very young..
That was a long time ago. He just turned 80 lol. Its interesting how people talk about SU in their great years but SU historically havent been good. Won a national championship in 1959, had a good stretch in the late 80's to late 90"s but thats it. Dont know why SU's mediocrity is such a hot topic. Its what they've always been in football. 3 bowl wins in the last 8 years is about right. There isnt a big enough commitment to football in NYS. Its obvious. Basketball, Lacrosse is a different story. Thats what SU fans really care about to be honest. Not football.

I am old enough to remember Jim Brown though i was very young..

My father doesn't care about college football or watch it, but he does know a lot about college lacrosse, and he says Jim Brown was the best he's seen. I never saw Jim Brown play football or lacrosse, but it is hard for me to think he was better than Eamon McEneaney or Gary Gait at lacrosse - the two best I have seen.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT