ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Temple on-campus stadium going forward

You keep on wearing those scarlet colored glasses which I’d expect you to do as an alum.

Be in for a big surprise come 2020. This isn’t your grandfather’s Temple. PSU folks came with that same level of cockiness in 2015 and we all know how that ended up.

You keep on wearing those scarlet colored glasses which I’d expect you to do as an alum.

Be in for a big surprise come 2020. This isn’t your grandfather’s Temple. PSU folks came with that same level of cockiness in 2015 and we all know how that ended up.
Unless the surprise is this new place is ready by then, there will be nothing new...

There will be hardly any of you guys who’ll come here and people will think you changed your school colors when we go there.

200.gif

Thanks. I wonder what the Pitt/Steeler relationship is like at Heinz Field? Both stadiums have natural grass and those extra college games particularly late in the season take their toll. Pitt used to play on campus but then moved downtown if I recall correctly.

The Pitt/Steeler relationship is very harmonious.

Heinz Field is technically owned/operated by the Pittsburgh Stadium authority and you can make a case that both Pitt/Steelers rent the facility. Although the truth is the Steelers have the significant voice in any discussions involving Heinz.

Now the Pitt/Steelers practice facilities are located on the South Side and are owned by University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) who rent them to the Steelers and Pitt.
Actually, there are two practice facilities next to each other (one for Pitt and one for the Steelers).

What Rutgers fans may find surprising is that UPMC is the LARGEST employer in Pennsylvania with over 30 Hospitals and 80,000 employees. All of Pitt's Health Professions are all rated in the Top 20 (US News) and the only Med School ranked higher than Pitt in the B1G is Michigan and Duke in the ACC (sorry for the commercial).

The Steelers and Pitt have an excellent relationship and Dan Rooney (Steelers majority owner) is a good corporate citizen in Pittsburgh. Old Pitt Stadium had a capacity of 56,000 and was probably a good capacity for us. I would Tarp down (Right Size) Heinz Field (Pitt games) to 56,000 or so except when playing Notre Dame, Penn State and West Virginia (IMHO). I believe this years Pac-12 Championship Game was played in a "Tarped" stadium.

I enjoy all the amenities of an NFL Stadium (especially Club Seating).

I think the move by Temple to build is probably good because the Linc was too big.

Would like Pitt to play a home and home OOC game with Rutgers sometime in the future.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Efdny,

Cmon man. We signed home and homes with Miami, GT, MD, BC, and Duke to name a few of our upcoming OOC series. Our AD isn’t signing off on a 2 for 1 with RU. You better come with history and tradition like Oklahoma has before he’ll agree to those terms. He’s a businessman and a shrewd one at that. We’re not talking about 1990 idiots running the athletic department anymore.
Our leverage for a 2-1 is that it benefits Temple more than us. We have no reason ever to play Temple.

Diehard Temple fan here who is 100% against this project. It will be cost prohibitive, will plunge Temple into debt, there is no plans to accomodate 30,000 people entering a neighborhood that was designed 100 years ago and anyone who attends Temple BB games on campus knows, people dont come to campus for sporting events.

So, why would anyone at Rutgers care? Consider this....on two seperate occassions within the last 5 years, Villanova has approached the Big East and the ACC about joining their conference as a full time member. The major hurdle is no access to a suitable FB stadium. This project eliminates that hurdle at no cost to them and a price of 135 Million + to their rival, Temple University.

Villanova has consistently had one of the top MBB teams in the country, have a huge war chest of donors, have had Div 1 FB previously, would just be interested in a 20 Million dollar per year TV Contract as any other school, routinely sell out the Wells Fargo arena for BB and offer just as much opportunity to seize the Phila TV Market as Temple, if not more so.

Villanova joining the ACC would devastate Temple and certainly be a bad thing for Rutgers too.

Having a little trouble following you here...

Are you saying Villanova would be a tenant in YOUR new place and use that as a springboard to try and garner membership in the ACC?

I’ve met our AD, spoken to our AD and I know exactly how he’d answer this....in his words

When RU comes with the track record that PSU, ND and OU have developed over the decades, we’ll talk 2 for 1 deals. Until your program accomplishes that, it’s an even trade.

Bring all the people you want that “spend money” as you say but win a few national titles or Rose Bowls before you come with that arrogance though

Going to be hard to do Matt. Miami is on the 2019 schedule. They’ll get stuck paying a nice buyout fee if they elect to go that route.
Hurricane forecasted in the vicinity of South Florida? Game cancelled.

No, he’s implying TU leaves the Linc for an OCFS. VU secures a lease for LFF and upgrades to FBS football, eventually securing an ACC invite.

I think I have a better chance at winning Powerball AND Mega in the same year than that ever happening.

I’ve been on the fence with the OCFS. I understand the president’s POV and I understand the anti OCFS crowd. Merit to both, but at the end of the day, LFF doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Having a little trouble following you here...

Are you saying Villanova would be a tenant in YOUR new place and use that as a springboard to try and garner membership in the ACC?
Well, since the ACC and Big East didn't fund Nova's prior stadium build-outs, and for some reason that PPL Park expansion never happened, of course Temple would allow Nova to use its stadium and use it as a springboard into the ACC. One plays at noon the other at 4:30 or 8, right? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

No, he’s implying TU leaves the Linc for an OCFS. VU secures a lease for LFF and upgrades to FBS football, eventually securing an ACC invite.

Exactly. Templeowls is likely a fan that completely dismissed this possibility out of sheer ignorance. Villanova has outmaneuvered Temple at every turn and this would be the final nail that permanently seperated Villanova from the rest of the Philly Big 5 Schools.

I have been to Temple games at the Linc in the last few years that had less than 10,000 people in attendance. Villanova could bring 10,000 as a novelty. If Nova played PSU or ND at the Linc, there would be 60,000 for those games too.

This move has clear ramifications for Rutgers too. There isnt enough quality FBS players in this region to support 85 more scholarships

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/199484-report-villanova-applied-to-join-acc

I think I have a better chance at winning Powerball AND Mega in the same year than that ever happening.

I’ve been on the fence with the OCFS. I understand the president’s POV and I understand the anti OCFS crowd. Merit to both, but at the end of the day, LFF doesn’t make a ton of sense.
Okay.

Explained that way I see what @MH55 is talking about.

And agree with you it’s doubtful that’s how it would play out for Villanova.

I like the idea for you guys (but I ain’t paying for it so easy for me to say) but it’s too bad your old place still isn’t around as that thing screams college football. As I said earlier in the thread I had no idea it existed and it was a nice looking facility.

Ok. Geoff Collins is only 1 year into his regime. Let’s see what he can do in Year 4.......of course if he’s still on the payroll.

And to MH55 who thinks I’m ignorant, I think it’s more of me believing we have an AD who can play poker and not show his cards to VU.

Difference in opinion.

Why do you think its Doubtful ?

Coastal Carolina, Liberty and Old Dominion have moved up for a piece of that FBS pie? You dont think the Cathlolic Leadership at Villanova would be interested in the lucrative TV Package the ACC delivers ? Well, the answer is already out there.....they were. And both the ACC and BE ad representatives discuss and visit their potential solutions...Citizens Bank Park and the soccer stadium in Chester PA. If Temple builds, then Nova could get immediate access to one of the premier FB facilities in the country.

Currently, Temple pays the Eagles 1 Milion a year. Temple people balk at that. It is no exaggeration, Jay Wright could raise 1 million this afternoon with a golf outing at at chip and putt with a two hours notice.

Coastal Carolina, Liberty and Old Dominion have moved up for a piece of that FBS pie? You dont think the Cathlolic Leadership at Villanova would be interested in the lucrative TV Package the ACC delivers ? Well, the answer is already out there.....they were. And both the ACC and BE ad representatives discuss and visit their potential solutions...Citizens Bank Park and the soccer stadium in Chester PA. If Temple builds, then Nova could get immediate access to one of the premier FB facilities in the country.

Currently, Temple pays the Eagles 1 Milion a year. Temple people balk at that. It is no exaggeration, Jay Wright could raise 1 million this afternoon with a golf outing at at chip and putt with a two hours notice.
5000 Nova fans in the Linc would look absolutely ridiculous. They may have the money to rent the Linc for $1 Million and hope a P5 conference scoops them up (instead of paying their dues in the G5 first), but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a good idea.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
I hope Temple can get an OCFS because Temple fans are so much saner than most Penn State fans. The Jerry Sandusky scandal wouldn't have been a thing at Temple (or most places for that matter).

This guy is one of the few Temple fans i respect. He understands that Temple should not be wasting money on an OCS. He also understands that Temple does not have enough fans to adequately support any type of FBS football program and it is time Temple drop football and concentrate on basketball. The other Temple fans can put him down, but he is one of the few that gets it, Temple doesn't belong in football. It is a glorified community college which had a decent basketball program that has hit some hard times. It has horrible fans that do nothing but complain about the cost of tickets and don't support the programs. It is time for them to leave the stage, the party is over, and this guy, god bless him, is leading the charge from within.

Our past administrations are why we are where we are. The new regimes thought/think differently. It’s not the po-dunk campus it once was. It’s become almost a mini city inside of a city. They think this venue will create an on campus experience for the students so the future fan base will exceed the 20k norms right now once they become alums. Big gamble? You bet. Lot of money to plunk down on a project you hope pays dividends going forward.

I honestly don't think you can put a value on an on-campus stadium. It becomes part of the fabric of campus life. In doing the research above, I was shocked to find out that Temple used to have an on-campus stadium and discarded it to jump to the Vet. Bonehead decision in my view. Yeah, that stadium may have needed a ton of work, but if they had rebuilt it in the same footprint and expanded it, the result would have been a huge benefit to Temple athletics. Hell, we had a 23K stadium up until 1992, when it was rebuilt and opened as a double-decked 41.5K stadium for the 1994 season. And with the further expansion in 2008, we're now around 52.5K seating capacity.

This stadium sat low 20s. Grass hill which was kind of like Navy added another 3k or so.
There were a number of horseshoe style stadiums built in that time period with the stadium capacity you suggest. Below is a depiction of IU's Memorial Stadium, capacity 22,000, that opened in 1925, from the Purdue game stadium dedication game program cover.

IUPU25.jpg

"Glorified community college" sounds like something Penn State people say about Rutgers. Temple is becoming a research power in its own right and has top notch faculty in many fields.

Reactions: tico brown
That was also with Rhule

Rhule did something special there and I think the good bones he built carried over into last year. But with that said, if they played our schedule last year, they would have ended with our record at best. But to be fair, let's say they end up about where we did.
Next year will say a lot about the future of Temple football. I want to see the results of BC, MAryland, UCF, USF, Hou, Memphis and Navy. Go .500 or better and I am impressed.

But what does Rutgers gain by beating a tomato-can 65 to nothing?
Because there is no way they'll lose to an FCS school and they've taken them off the schedule. Temple can beat Rutgers if things bounce their way. It's a high risk no reward situation. Beating Norfolk state is expected and guaranteed.

Rhule did something special there and I think the good bones he built carried over into last year. But with that said, if they played our schedule last year, they would have ended with our record at best. But to be fair, let's say they end up about where we did.
Next year will say a lot about the future of Temple football. I want to see the results of BC, MAryland, UCF, USF, Hou, Memphis and Navy. Go .500 or better and I am impressed.
Agreed

Appreciate the kind words RUforLIfe but I dont advocate dropping TUFB. I particularly dont advocate investing 135 Million plus in this product since Ive yet to meet a single person who will go to the campus stadium because its built. I have met numerous people who are going now who wont go to campus.

DJ Spanky, Temple Stadium was not on campus. It was 7 miles north, the same distance the Linc is south, 7 miles. Temple Stadium was torn down because it was literally falling down. It was built in 1928 and was completely unsafe. It would have cost more than Vet Stadium to adequately repair.

As I suggest, this development at Temple will produce circumstances. I am dumbfounded that some Temple people believe other schools will just sit around and allow Temple to make moves that may make them more attractive to another conference. Though I believe a 30K seat stadium eliminates Temple from any further consideration of a P5 invite, there is a contingent of people who believe it does help. Why would anyone think Villanova will sit on their thumb and not entertain steps to prevent that ?

Appreciate the kind words RUforLIfe but I dont advocate dropping TUFB. I particularly dont advocate investing 135 Million plus in this product since Ive yet to meet a single person who will go to the campus stadium because its built. I have met numerous people who are going now who wont go to campus.

DJ Spanky, Temple Stadium was not on campus. It was 7 miles north, the same distance the Linc is south, 7 miles. Temple Stadium was torn down because it was literally falling down. It was built in 1928 and was completely unsafe. It would have cost more than Vet Stadium to adequately repair.

As I suggest, this development at Temple will produce circumstances. I am dumbfounded that some Temple people believe other schools will just sit around and allow Temple to make moves that may make them more attractive to another conference. Though I believe a 30K seat stadium eliminates Temple from any further consideration of a P5 invite, there is a contingent of people who believe it does help. Why would anyone think Villanova will sit on their thumb and not entertain steps to prevent that ?

Agree w your last sentence. Nova will not want to see this happen for Temple. I believe the stadium never gets built.

This guy is one of the few Temple fans i respect. He understands that Temple should not be wasting money on an OCS. He also understands that Temple does not have enough fans to adequately support any type of FBS football program and it is time Temple drop football and concentrate on basketball. The other Temple fans can put him down, but he is one of the few that gets it, Temple doesn't belong in football. It is a glorified community college which had a decent basketball program that has hit some hard times. It has horrible fans that do nothing but complain about the cost of tickets and don't support the programs. It is time for them to leave the stage, the party is over, and this guy, god bless him, is leading the charge from within.
So you would respect somebody who is the the equivalent of the former Rutgers100 or whatever they called themselves.

So you would respect somebody who is the the equivalent of the former Rutgers100 or whatever they called themselves.
The Rutgers1000 was led by a nutty professor who wanted to turn back the clock. This guys appears to be a real Temple fan who understands that there is no reason for the school to be spending $130 million or more on a stadium. Temple should not be playing football, period. They need to be using the $s they are wasting on the football program to revitalizing their once proud basketball program.

Reactions: IL Lusciato

Was funny. Would read again. Sounded like a spoof.

I think one of the biggest challenges that has NOT been discussed here regarding an OCS for Temple is the traffic situation. Temple is an a challenging place in the city to get to with no major highways connecting it. Nova has the Blue Route, Penn/Drexel has the Schuylkill. Rutgers has Route 18 for example. I don't think Broad Street can handle 35k on the roads at one time for a Temple football game.

You guys had a great season. They were nowhere near what they, unfortunately, are again now. You beat them, however, that ain't got dick to do with 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT