ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

You are correct that football bowl revenues are split equally across the teams.

Here are Rutgers athletics department revenues related conference distributions in fiscal year 2023.

Media Rights $44,137,387
NCAA Distributions $4,680,845
Conference Distributions (Non Media and Non Football Bowl) $4,048,754
Conference Distributions of Football Bowl Generated Revenue $7,734,857

Total Conference Distributions $60,601,843.

Source: Rutgers University

Is the approximately $100 million media rights or total conference distributions? Either way, I'll believe the popular $100 million amount when it is reported in Rutgers athletics financial reports. Hopefully, Pat Hobbs and team have a clear outlook for B1G payouts to Rutgers across the next several years.

The flagship designation is backed by 9-figure capital investments in new academic buildings at Buffalo and Stony Brook. In addition, SUNY research spending will be directed to the flagships, such as an artificial intelligence hub at Stony Brook.

Buffalo and Stony Brook, like all SUNY schools, focus on educating New York residents. Rutgers is the same in New Jersey, though B1G membership has increased exposure to sports-oriented people. The three flagships do a poor job attracting out-of-state students to their universities and bringing fans into their football stadiums.

All three schools, measuring by football, have been climbing the ladder on intercollegiate athletics though. Buffalo and Stony Brook played division 3 football as recently as the 1990s. Now, they compete at the FBS and FCS levels. In an age of radical conference realignment, Buffalo and Stony Brook to ACC cannot be ruled out.
I had forgotten (if I ever knew) that Buffalo and Stony Brook universities are substantially larger than Binghamton. FWIW, Binghamton posts that it's "the #1 public in New York." https://www.binghamton.edu/promo/ad...gfm1799ecK1wP5FgDbd37Q8UfyIdHZahoCYuAQAvD_BwE

Those SUNY schools are not viewed as flagship representatives of NY state for sports and never will be.

For the purpose of revenue generating potential, NY doesn’t have a representative flagship that could step up to the plate for football. Those are all regional schools where realistically - your talking about alumni support only. NYC residents do not and would not ever identify with following the sports at any those schools. Arguably - Albany would have the greatest long term potential as New Yorkers might identify with the state capital in a theoretical bandwagon situation. But it’s extremely unlikely. A stand out season or 2 from army would probably pose the biggest local regional threat but it’s still minimal.
The Army of Red Blaik and Pete Dawkins had a lot of support when it was a leading football power in the late 50s. Syracuse was the same in its national championship year. (I'm old enough to remember both.) Winning means a lot. That's not very different for Rutgers -- many New Jerseyans laugh at us and even say we should disband the program when we're not doing well.

Reactions: MADHAT1
The Army of Red Blaik and Pete Dawkins had a lot of support when it was a leading football power in the late 50s. Syracuse was the same in its national championship year. (I'm old enough to remember both.) Winning means a lot. That's not very different for Rutgers -- many New Jerseyans laugh at us and even say we should disband the program when we're not doing well.

Well I wasn’t around then, but I have a hard time imagining NYC families without ties to Syracuse University following their sports team the way they would support the Mets or the Yankees as the local team. Is that what you recall?

Well I wasn’t around then, but I have a hard time imagining NYC families without ties to Syracuse University following their sports team the way they would support the Mets or the Yankees as the local team. Is that what you recall?
Yes, I do. I even remember Army's The Lonely End -- the end who didn't huddle with the team. Of course, the parallel is more the Giants (the "Titans" of the AFL came later) than baseball. It might have helped that the NYC area was especially football conscious then because the Giants were a perennial contender -- the Giants were part of the so-called Greatest Game with the Baltimore Colts around this time. Sometimes one team's success helps another. BTW, the service academies were a bigger deal in the sports world than they are now -- I remember a lot of New Yorkers caring about the Army-Navy game and rooting depending on past or present personal or family affiliation with one of the armed services. Take it from me -- it was a different time.

Reactions: MADHAT1

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel

Have been told by multiple sources that there’s no expectation for Florida State or Clemson to notify the ACC they intend to leave by the Aug. 15 deadline to depart after the upcoming year. That’s the deadline to declare intentions to exit for the 2025-26 year.
If true, and Thamel is pretty tuned in, it’ll be interesting if next year is the year they leave

2-3 years is what I was told when I started posting about this in 2023

There's a huge amount of posturing here. Despite the rumors, it is hard to believe that FSU and Clemson are going anywhere until the GOR lawsuits are resolved either by settlement or final decision by the courts -- and it would be a long time if we have to wait for the latter. No conference wants to run the risk of being held liable for inducing breach of contract as they would be if the grant of rights is ultimately held valid.

There's a huge amount of posturing here. Despite the rumors, it is hard to believe that FSU and Clemson are going anywhere until the GOR lawsuits are resolved either by settlement or final decision by the courts -- and it would be a long time if we have to wait for the latter. No conference wants to run the risk of being held liable for inducing breach of contract as they would be if the grant of rights is ultimately held valid.
They’re 100% not going anywhere until the GOR is resolved, I don’t think that’s even remotely debatable

I haven't followed all the back and forth that closely, but there's never been a point when I thought programs would be allowed to walk away from deals that they agreed to, except for some extraordinary circumstance, which I don't see here (I was an ACC fan most of my life, and know about the nepotism shenanigans, but I never thought that was enough)...

I haven't followed all the back and forth that closely, but there's never been a point when I thought programs would be allowed to walk away from deals that they agreed to, except for some extraordinary circumstance, which I don't see here (I was an ACC fan most of my life, and know about the nepotism shenanigans, but I never thought that was enough)...
Nobody’s walking away unscathed, it will certainly cost some money, and the exact amount apparently is TBD

Because that’s the information that’s being told to me

Whether or not it happens remains to be seen
But you know that information is not true. It's one thing if someone says, "I hear from a good source that the litigation is about to settle," but quite another when someone says, "gee, I hear we're leaving by date X." As you've stated, the latter isn't happening without the former.

You also might want to think about whether your sources (who, I take it, are mostly from FSU) are really in a position to know something and/or are engaged in wishful thinking as so many of us do on a topic we care about. I have not been following this anywhere near as closely as you have, but I would distrust any reports of a settlement except at a truly huge price. As I know you appreciate, this is an existential issue for the ACC --if Florida and Clemson are allowed to leave, there will be unbelievable pressure from UNC and UVa (and perhaps others) to get out as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see the ACC surviving the loss of all four even assuming everyone else was willing to stay. So my guess (and yes, it's just a guess) is that the ACC will fight this out unles it's offered *much* more money than anyone has talked about so far.

But you know that information is not true. It's one thing if someone says, "I hear from a good source that the litigation is about to settle," but quite another when someone says, "gee, I hear we're leaving by date X." As you've stated, the latter isn't happening without the former.

You also might want to think about whether your sources (who, I take it, are mostly from FSU) are really in a position to know something and/or are engaged in wishful thinking as so many of us do on a topic we care about. I have not been following this anywhere near as closely as you have, but I would distrust any reports of a settlement except at a truly huge price. As I know you appreciate, this is an existential issue for the ACC --if Florida and Clemson are allowed to leave, there will be unbelievable pressure from UNC and UVa (and perhaps others) to get out as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see the ACC surviving the loss of all four even assuming everyone else was willing to stay. So my guess (and yes, it's just a guess) is that the ACC will fight this out unles it's offered *much* more money than anyone has talked about so far.
What in the blue hell are you taking about?

I’m getting info from guys I trust that are pretty connected to the situation.

In case you live under a rock, or are just a completely uninformed, you should know exactly what’s going out with the ACC and that there is not a chance in hell that FSU and Clemson will be in for the duration of the contract.

The only questions are when will they get out, how much will cost them, and where they will be going.

Let me put it to you in the simplest terms, there is no way two established programs like that have produced a shit ton of revenue and have millions of fans around the country are going to settle in mediocrity, because they’re in a league that is a bunch of ****ing idiots and doesn’t know how to run the business

Whether it’s this year, next year, or the next few years, they will absolutely be out, because if they’re not, you can kiss any future success of their programs, and not just football, but their entire athletic departments, goodbye

ACC commissioner: "For as long as it takes" to combat the Florida State and Clemson ill-advised lawsuits against their kith and kin conference through which they enjoy tens of millions of cash transfers per year.

The law is on the side of the conference. The contracts must be honored; no serious court would throw out agreements reached between sophisticated parties.

Slowly, stumblingly, Florida State and Clemson attorneys will advise their clients they signed concrete contracts that must be honored. That means 9-figure money raises to move on from the ACC. That is money they cannot raise.

ACC commissioner: "For as long as it takes" to combat the Florida State and Clemson ill-advised lawsuits against their kith and kin conference through which they enjoy tens of millions of cash transfers per year.

The law is on the side of the conference. The contracts must be honored; no serious court would throw out agreements reached between sophisticated parties.

Slowly, stumblingly, Florida State and Clemson attorneys will advise their clients they signed concrete contracts that must be honored. That means 9-figure money raises to move on from the ACC. That is money they cannot raise.
Yeeeaaahhhhh…. That’s not going to happen

As things are currently constituted, with the money discrepancy soon to be $40-$50 million per year behind the SEC and B1G,
Florida and Clemson will not be in the ACC much longer.

If it gets down to it, Discovery will happen and that piece of shit league and they’re piece of shit leadership will be fully exposed

Take that to the bank, as it would be a death blow and normally football, but their entire athletic departments.

In case you live under a rock, or are just a completely uninformed, you should know exactly what’s going out with the ACC and that there is not a chance in hell that FSU and Clemson will be in for the duration of the contract.

The only questions are when will they get out, how much will cost them, and where they will be going.

Let me put it to you in the simplest terms, there is no way two established programs like that have produced a shit ton of revenue and have millions of fans around the country are going to settle in mediocrity, because they’re in a league that is a bunch of ****ing idiots and doesn’t know how to run the business

Whether it’s this year, next year, or the next few years, they will absolutely be out, because if they’re not, you can kiss any future success of their programs, and not just football, but their entire athletic departments, goodbye
Do you think FSU will be out before 2036 if the GOR is held valid? The answer is no, of course. Any lawsuit can be settled for enough money -- but if the GOR is valid, what incentive does the ACC have to settle at any price that FSU can realistically pay? The answer is "none." Does the ACC have an incentive to settle at a reasonable price while the litigation is going on? The answer again is "no," because allowing FSU and Clemson to go kills the conference.

I understand how much FSU and its fans want to get out. But as the old song says, it's easier said than done. Sometimes you can't have what you want no matter how much you want it.

Do you think FSU will be out before 2036 if the GOR is held valid? The answer is no, of course. Any lawsuit can be settled for enough money -- but if the GOR is valid, what incentive does the ACC have to settle at any price that FSU can realistically pay? The answer is "none." Does the ACC have an incentive to settle at a reasonable price while the litigation is going on? The answer again is "no," because allowing FSU and Clemson to go kills the conference.

I understand how much FSU and its fans want to get out. But as the old song says, it's easier said than done. Sometimes you can't have what you want no matter how much you want it.
Yes they’ll be out

I’ve been told 2-3 years from when it got hit in 2023

Bad leadership, complacency, laziness and various other issues have led us to this point

All the ACC is absolutely to blame as they are the epitome of dog Shit, FSU‘s leader ship, or lack there of, prior to the current administration, left nothing to be desired.

Hence, publicly scrambling to get off of the sinking ship before it is too late

JDog
don't get upset if someone questions your sources, you should take into account very few here know your sources and have been misled at times on this or another board by someone who claimed to have impeccable sources.
On this issue you might be confident you're getting the real scoop, but there are those ( like me) that wonder if you're just getting the positive part of what's going on but the negative parts that are messing up the works are not shared with you.
I personal believe FSU is doing everything it can to get out of the ACC, but the cost will be more than they will be able to pay. I can't claim to be right, only can say that's how I feel without having inside info backing it up.
Your sources might say different, but I don't know them and can't base what I feel and say on someone else's trusted sources .
In the end it will come out in the wash , but right now the spin cycle is still going> pro and con

Reactions: retired711
JDog
don't get upset if someone questions your sources, you should take into account very few here know your sources and have been misled at times on this or another board by someone who claimed to have impeccable sources.
On this issue you might be confident you're getting the real scoop, but there are those ( like me) that wonder if you're just getting the positive part of what's going on but the negative parts that are messing up the works are not shared with you.
I personal believe FSU is doing everything it can to get out of the ACC, but the cost will be more than they will be able to pay. I can't claim to be right, only can say that's how I feel without having inside info backing it up.
Your sources might say different, but I don't know them and can't base what I feel and say on someone else's trusted sources .
In the end it will come out in the wash , but right now the spin cycle is still going> pro and con
The guy literally told me I’m telling everybody information knowingly that is not true, it’s questioning my integrity

All I’m doing is relaying information that I have for a few trusted sources who are in the mix

I’m not making anything up, or wishing upon a star

I don’t mind being questions as when you volunteer to give information, that is part of the deal

But to say that I am intentionally misleading a message board (and more importantly, a community) that I read every day and I’m actively a part of, it’s not something I take lightly

I’ll be the first one to admit that I was wrong if this does come to fruition, and will be rubbing it in anybody’s face if it does.

The guy literally told me I’m telling everybody information knowingly that is not true, it’s questioning my integrity

All I’m doing is relaying information that I have for a few trusted sources who are in the mix

I’m not making anything up, or wishing upon a star

I don’t mind being questions as when you volunteer to give information, that is part of the deal

But to say that I am intentionally misleading a message board (and more importantly, a community) that I read every day and I’m actively a part of, it’s not something I take lightly

I’ll be the first one to admit that I was wrong if this does come to fruition, and will be rubbing it in anybody’s face if it does.
As you should!

Good luck to Florida State. My team has a lot of one-sided losses invested in them, but their fans were always cool and down-to-earth. Any conference will be happy to have them...

"ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said Monday that the league would fight lawsuits with Clemson and Florida State "for as long as it takes," adding "this conference is bigger than any one school or schools" as the league prepares to enter football season embroiled in courtrooms with two of its premier programs."

"I can state that we will fight to protect the ACC and our members for as long as it takes," Phillips said. "We are confident in this league and that it will remain a premier conference in college athletics for the long-term future. These disputes continue to be extremely damaging, disruptive and incredibly harmful to the league."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...cc-boss-fight-clemson-fsu-lawsuits-long-takes

Yeeeaaahhhhh…. That’s not going to happen

As things are currently constituted, with the money discrepancy soon to be $40-$50 million per year behind the SEC and B1G,
Florida and Clemson will not be in the ACC much longer.

If it gets down to it, Discovery will happen and that piece of shit league and they’re piece of shit leadership will be fully exposed

Take that to the bank, as it would be a death blow and normally football, but their entire athletic departments.
What is not going to happen? Please clarify.

Florida State has written the university must pay a $572 million amount to the ACC to cancel the ACC grant of rights contract.

The arguments made by Florida State and its fans contradict the contract the university signed enthusiastically, then began whining about. This misbehavior, while entertaining to observe and comment about, will not stand up to judicial scrutiny.

Florida State hired JPMorgan to advise it on funding the university's athletic department. The reason JPMorgan was brought on is to raise money - hundreds of millions - to meet Florida State's contractually-agreed obligations to the ACC in order to leave the league. That means selling the university to a private investment firm. If I were a college sports fan, and I am, I would oppose that arrangement.

As you should!

Good luck to Florida State. My team has a lot of one-sided losses invested in them, but their fans were always cool and down-to-earth. Any conference will be happy to have them...
We love our schools
I love FSU and Rutgers

Can’t wait for college football season so we can finally put the pads on and see what our teams are all about this year

"ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said Monday that the league would fight lawsuits with Clemson and Florida State "for as long as it takes," adding "this conference is bigger than any one school or schools" as the league prepares to enter football season embroiled in courtrooms with two of its premier programs."

"I can state that we will fight to protect the ACC and our members for as long as it takes," Phillips said. "We are confident in this league and that it will remain a premier conference in college athletics for the long-term future. These disputes continue to be extremely damaging, disruptive and incredibly harmful to the league."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...cc-boss-fight-clemson-fsu-lawsuits-long-takes
As they should

Too bad they didn’t have this much attention to detail and Goodwill towards members while They were getting bent over with their shitty TV deals and basketball centric leadership all those years.

Also, what’s he going to say, he knows that they are dead man walking

He kept his mouth shut when we got snubbed out of the playoffs last year like a bitch, which showed his true colors

It’s all good, they be like the big east sooner rather than later

What is not going to happen? Please clarify.

Florida State has written the university must pay a $572 million amount to the ACC to cancel the ACC grant of rights contract.

The arguments made by Florida State and its fans contradict the contract the university signed enthusiastically, then began whining about. This misbehavior, while entertaining to observe and comment about, will not stand up to judicial scrutiny.

Florida State hired JPMorgan to advise it on funding the university's athletic department. The reason JPMorgan was brought on is to raise money - hundreds of millions - to meet Florida State's contractually-agreed obligations to the ACC in order to leave the league. That means selling the university to a private investment firm. If I were a college sports fan, and I am, I would oppose that arrangement.
I was told between 2 to 3 years when I first started talking about this on this board in 2023

When it’ll happen, who knows I’m just relaying what it’s been told me a few people I trust who are close to the situation

The only thing I can unequivocally say is that they will be out of the ACC long before the 2036 deal is done, unless they start getting some additional revenue which is significant, as falling $500 million behind their peers is simply not an option

The only thing I can unequivocally say is that they will be out of the ACC long before the 2036 deal is done, unless they start getting some additional revenue which is significant, as falling $500 million behind their peers is simply not an option
You keep assuming they're guaranteed a place in either the B1G or SEC if they ever get out of the ACC. Unless they (and likely a joining partner school) individually bring in at least as much money as those leagues are currently paying per team, that doesn't seem guaranteed. Not that I have any inside information.

What sort of magical horrible secrets could exist that would have the ACC so afraid of going to discovery? Are Wake Forest and SMU and BC going to support the league settling out of court, putting themselves in a worse financial situation to avoid the terror of discovery? A lot of this sounds like wishcasting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT