ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

False on the Money.
Everyone can agree on ESPN doing what makes $$$ for them and taking advantage of it.

1) The B12 contract was based off of the additions of the Cincy, UCF, Houston and BYU. Utah, Colorado, ASU, Arizona did not renegotiate. ESPN was willing to pay the B12 amount each since those schools were worth more. B12 contract slightly undervalued - not a significant amount since you are splitting the money 16 ways, but still a couple of million. This comes up for renegotiation in 2031. Toward the tail end of this contract they are making more than the ACC even if ESPN picks up the ACC contract. And then the Big12 gets a bump. 380M/year(16 schools) from 2025 to 2031(currently 200M/year). ACC deal is 240M/year(14 schools) (i believe not counting ACC Network). The new additions are getting similar shares - although SMU,Stanford and Cal coming for free so other schools can bridge the gap)

2) I think everyone can agree FSU and Clemson are leaving. Maybe not the B10 or SEC but to the Big12, Independent or something else. Most people scream that FSU didn't do all this to just to go to the Big12, but for certain i they definitely didn't do all this to stay in the ACC till 2036. FSU will rather get screwed in money than allow the ACC to continue like if nothing is going on. They will leave. ESPN will not renew the the ACC deal without FSU and Clemson. But even if they did, the Big12 is making more and gets another Bump in 2031. I think FSU goes to the Big12 with the hopes of joining the P2 in the future. The Big12 will give them some unequal revenue sharing. Big12 wants to kill the ACC.

3) B12 going all in on maximizing their money. This might all backfire eventually, but in the short term they will be making more. They don't care if the B12 gets- renamed to Kellogg's Cereal Conference. ACC will not do that.

ACC is status quo on money or making less if somehow FSU can leave.

Big12 will be making more as of 2025(payouts in 2027) and they will sell their underwear to make more money. They will give FSU unequal revenue sharing. The Big12 sees the ACC gutting as ensuring their survival (I personally disagree with this), but this is how they see it.

I wish the ACC and PAc12 would have gutted the Big12 years ago to ensure 4 strong conferences even if the B10 and SEC were ahead. But it clearly seems the Big12 will be the lone 3rd league with the ACC a distant 4th.

Winners
Cincy
UCF
BYU
Houston
Iowa St
Kansas St

Losers
Oregon St
Wash St
Boston College
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Cal
Maybe Stanford
Anyone that doesn't get into the Big12
In regard to point 2, the preference is the B1G then SEC. That's not debatebale
But the main goal is $$$

If that means going to the B12 and only being 5-10 million behind the SEC/B1G, they'll do it in a heartbeat
Need out of the ACC immediately

In regard to point 2, the preference is the B1G then SEC. That's not debatable
But the main goal is $$$

If that means going to the B12 and only being 5-10 million behind the SEC/B1G, they'll do it in a heartbeat
Need out of the ACC immediately

For sure the B10 is their target and will do everything they can to get in.

Especially how Sankey keeps dogging FSU in public.

But i can see the B10 wanting to have a clearer picture on ND before committing to others. Which might result in a temporary home for FSU outside the P2. I believe UNC is the number 2 pick since SEC really wants them. But a Florida school in my opinion is 3rd target. I would go for both Miami and FSU. But i see others prefer different.

For sure the B10 is their target and will do everything they can to get in.

Especially how Sankey keeps dogging FSU in public.

But i can see the B10 wanting to have a clearer picture on ND before committing to others. Which might result in a temporary home for FSU outside the P2. I believe UNC is the number 2 pick since SEC really wants them. But a Florida school in my opinion is 3rd target. I would go for both Miami and FSU. But i see others prefer different.
There's no love lost between the FSU and the SEC, the beef has been going on for over 3 decades

In regard to the B1G, they're smart and will do what's financially best for them
It's ND and the rest really; although UNC is a big-time brand that I assume would be coveted by both leagues

If the B12 rumors are true, I'd definitely be on board w/it as long as the money is right

$$$ is all it comes down to, and although I'd much prefer PWay, Ann Arbor, Madison, and Columbus to Aimes, Lubbock, Stillwater, Lawrence, etc., the goal is to get out of the ACC yesterday for the sake of football and the entire athletic department

False on the Money.
Everyone can agree on ESPN doing what makes $$$ for them and taking advantage of it.

1) The B12 contract was based off of the additions of the Cincy, UCF, Houston and BYU. Utah, Colorado, ASU, Arizona did not renegotiate. ESPN was willing to pay the B12 amount each since those schools were worth more. B12 contract slightly undervalued - not a significant amount since you are splitting the money 16 ways, but still a couple of million. This comes up for renegotiation in 2031. Toward the tail end of this contract they are making more than the ACC even if ESPN picks up the ACC contract. And then the Big12 gets a bump. 380M/year(16 schools) from 2025 to 2031(currently 200M/year). ACC deal is 240M/year(14 schools) (i believe not counting ACC Network). The new additions are getting similar shares - although SMU,Stanford and Cal coming for free so other schools can bridge the gap)

2) I think everyone can agree FSU and Clemson are leaving. Maybe not the B10 or SEC but to the Big12, Independent or something else. Most people scream that FSU didn't do all this to just to go to the Big12, but for certain i they definitely didn't do all this to stay in the ACC till 2036. FSU will rather get screwed in money than allow the ACC to continue like if nothing is going on. They will leave. ESPN will not renew the the ACC deal without FSU and Clemson. But even if they did, the Big12 is making more and gets another Bump in 2031. I think FSU goes to the Big12 with the hopes of joining the P2 in the future. The Big12 will give them some unequal revenue sharing. Big12 wants to kill the ACC.

3) B12 going all in on maximizing their money. This might all backfire eventually, but in the short term they will be making more. They don't care if the B12 gets- renamed to Kellogg's Cereal Conference. ACC will not do that.

ACC is status quo on money or making less if somehow FSU can leave.

Big12 will be making more as of 2025(payouts in 2027) and they will sell their underwear to make more money. They will give FSU unequal revenue sharing. The Big12 sees the ACC gutting as ensuring their survival (I personally disagree with this), but this is how they see it.

I wish the ACC and PAc12 would have gutted the Big12 years ago to ensure 4 strong conferences even if the B10 and SEC were ahead. But it clearly seems the Big12 will be the lone 3rd league with the ACC a distant 4th.

Winners
Cincy
UCF
BYU
Houston
Iowa St
Kansas St

Losers
Oregon St
Wash St
Boston College
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Cal
Maybe Stanford
Anyone that doesn't get into the Big12
The B12 just distributed sightly under 40M for its full members. The ACC distributed 45M to its 14 full members. The ACC distributed 700M to its members with 480 coming from tv.

Some projections put the B12 in the vicinity of up to 50M/yr when then new deal kicks in 2025/26 when adding in the CFP deal, etc... The ACC will also get a bump from the CFP deal and ACCN distribution in the new states. Like I said the ACC is either somewhat in front or just about par. Whatever it shakes out to be, whether the gap is ahead or behind...it's essentially negligible in both directions and not enough to move an ACC school out of a conference, especially one that's not a geographic fit.

I don't agree that Clemson/FSU will move to the B12 or go indy. They might be causing a big stink but I don't see them leaving without it being the SEC/B10.

I also don't see the B12 giving unequal revenue sharing, it didn't exist for Texas/OU (outside of LHN and similar networks) so I wouldn't expect it at all for FSU or anyone else. Plus why would B12 schools do that knowing that it would really be just a temporary home for their ultimate goal into a P2. No different than the ACC now having no motivation to give in knowing eventually they will leave anyway whenever the GOR stuff resolves, be it through litigation or expiration. Kowtowing to a school is a pointless endeavor as you see with Texas/OU, USC/UCLA or Miami back in the BE days. They will leave you regardless if its in their best interests.

Reactions: mosito
The B12 just distributed sightly under 40M for its full members. The ACC distributed 45M to its 14 full members. The ACC distributed 700M to its members with 480 coming from tv.

Some projections put the B12 in the vicinity of up to 50M/yr when then new deal kicks in 2025/26 when adding in the CFP deal, etc... The ACC will also get a bump from the CFP deal and ACCN distribution in the new states. Like I said the ACC is either somewhat in front or just about par. Whatever it shakes out to be, whether the gap is ahead or behind...it's essentially negligible in both directions and not enough to move an ACC school out of a conference, especially one that's not a geographic fit.

I don't agree that Clemson/FSU will move to the B12 or go indy. They might be causing a big stink but I don't see them leaving without it being the SEC/B10.

I also don't see the B12 giving unequal revenue sharing, it didn't exist for Texas/OU (outside of LHN and similar networks) so I wouldn't expect it at all for FSU or anyone else. Plus why would B12 schools do that knowing that it would really be just a temporary home for their ultimate goal into a P2. No different than the ACC now having no motivation to give in knowing eventually they will leave anyway whenever the GOR stuff resolves, be it through litigation or expiration. Kowtowing to a school is a pointless endeavor as you see with Texas/OU, USC/UCLA or Miami back in the BE days. They will leave you regardless if its in their best interests.
I think if FSU and Clemson can add 5M per school to the overall contract. I think Brett Yormark can convince the B12 teams to only accept 2M more, give 3M each resulting in FSU and Clemson getting 15-20M. Pretty sure B12 believes that if they can make the ACC so weak, that give more windows to them making them more money in the long term by eliminating the competition, even if FSU is only there for 4-10 years.

Suck up the unequal revenue for more money anyway.

To quote Jeff Cameron... "the Big 12 would have to give FSU a billion dollars a year" for them to enter the conference

He's saying that in jest, but it's either under the assumption unequal revenue sharing will happen (highly unlikely), or bringing in a trio of FSU/Clemson/Miami would bump up the $$ per year significantly.

Add ND into the mix (no idea if that's even remotely possible), and it's even more $$ per year

FWIW, my guys are still saying B1G/SEC, and are dismissing B12 as rumors
Who knows what's true at this stage

Hearty golf clap for you
How the Aggies looking this year?
It's too bad that Jimbo thing didn't work out...Neither did Sumlin...RC Slokium...or anyone really...ever.

At least your baseball coach stayed on board after that heartbreaking loss in the championship
Truly a man of his word, sticking around Aggieland and not succumbing to the temptation of coaching Big Brother in Austin

I know, I know...It's hard to believe
By all accounts, College Stadion is on par with Bora Bora. Tahiti. Maybe even the Maldives.

And the fans... completely normal!
Not a cult...not weird...not strange in the least bit!

You have a golf clap for me as well ????

I make two assumptions here. One the networks run the show, and two they want to maximize $$$$ - they don't give a crap about the schools or the athletes.

In my opinion FSU not getting into the playoffs was a false flag for E$PN to extract then top teams from the ACC and put them in the $EC and BIG 12. E$PN has $$$$ ties to both leagues.

Think of this as a layoff. How do you keep the best teams/properties in your portfolio, and ditch the dead weight? Break up the ACC. Let the remaining ACC teams and league file lawsuits. Big East found out how that went.

$EC and B1G both saying they won't get involved unless ACC ceases to exist. This is PAC-12 part two.

6-8 ACC teams to BIG 12, UNC to $EC or B1G for sure. Maybe one or more of the remaining AAU's to B1G. There will be a battle over NC and Virginia markets. Would $EC be satisfied with NC State or Dook, and Va Tech vs UNC and UVa?

Cut loose: Cuse, WF, BC, Cal, SMU and whoever $EC and B1G don't want. Save money. Spend it on $EC and Big 12.

I don't think $EC, B1G nor Big 12 will let ND park their olympic sports. Big East again - maybe. I think ND being "forced" to B1G.

Hopefully this will be over in the next couple of years.

Problem for them is there is nothing to instigate the break of the ACC. The PAC didn't break until a new deal was being negotiated and if they had taken the networks first offer after USC/UCLA left they would still be together. The B12 sneaking in and taking the deal a year early screwed them and then Colorado (one of the poorer performing PAC schools) leaving after a long holdout broke the floodgates and the B10 came in after that to take Oregon/Washington. Like I mentioned above even in that scenario what's the motivation of FSU if they have to take a reduced payout like Oregon/Washington. Pay massive exit fees and then get what you get or less than what you get in the ACC. No point then and might as well sit tight til the 2030s.

On top of which there is no such scenario in the ACC that would motivate any ACC (high or low status) to leave to the B12 (again WVU/UCF more likely in the other direction somewhere down the line imo) to create a crack similar to Colorado. In addition, the ACC has already backfilled with the western teams anyway in case of such an unlikely event. Their contract is set and it's essentially on par with the B12, probably somewhat better. So I don't see any motivation for anyone to leave to the B12 and thus no cracks to form similar to when Colorado left.
PAC would have been around but not with USC and UCLA. Larry Scott would have taken the offer after screwing up PAC12 Network endeavor without partners (EsPN/Fox). USC especially wanted no part of taking a deal that would have them fall further behind their perceived peers (OSU, Mich, GA, Bama, Tex) by getting revenue at the same level with Or St, WAZZU and other B12 schools. USC was no different than Tex in how they looked at most of their conference mates and probably held PAC12 leaders to the fire on a commitment to the conference. The PAC12’s death would have been slower with just USC/UCLA leaving and a deal that would have guaranteed $25-40MM per remaining members. USC wanted no part of that.

GO RU

I just don't get it. All this hand wringing to jump from one conference making $45 mil. to another conference making $40 mil.. Now sure, there will be a bump per team if FSU and Clemson join the Big 12. But with a 16 team conference or more it's not like the addition of these two is going to sweeten the pot by $20mil. per team. And even if it did, which would be a miracle they'd still be far behind.

This is a textbook post of why that NC State fan said he/she loved seeing the Sankey video. FSU fans think the ACC isn't good enough for them now. Hearing the SEC commissioner basically say his conference is not pursuing FSU in their current scenario just shows there's not necessarily a better conference slot available for FSU.

Also, NC State has won five of the last six games in the series dating back to 2017 season. Calling them a little brother in that situation looks like Syracuse-RU sour grapes.
It has nothing to do with
I just don't get it. All this hand wringing to jump from one conference making $45 mil. to another conference making $40 mil.. Now sure, there will be a bump per team if FSU and Clemson join the Big 12. But with a 16 team conference or more it's not like the addition of these two is going to sweeten the pot by $20mil. per team. And even if it did, which would be a miracle they'd still be far behind.
theyre not jumping conferences for equal or less money

I think most rational fans would agree it’s ND as the top prize and that’s not debateable

Who’s second is the question. Is it UNC? FSU? Will A & M secretly leave for the B1G?

FSU could be 4th if it’s ND, UNC, and A & M rounding out the top 3

Or they could be a distant second behind ND
ND is the big prize
North Carolina being a blue blood in basketball makes them a desired pick-up and the second choice because of that..
TAM is overrated, but has a State the B1G could use and the type of support that makes it worth considering
FSU is a notch below TAM in desirability to become B1G ,in my point of view, but would be a good program for the B1G to have if a deal could be worked out (one not based on revenue received while an ACC member)
I say that because I'm guessing TAM's boosters are far more generous than FSU's and to get away from Texas in the SEC would support the Aggies taking a smaller cut of the pie ( for a few years) to go B1G than the Seminoles would

ND is the big prize
North Carolina being a blue blood in basketball makes them a desired pick-up and the second choice because of that..
TAM is overrated, but has a State the B1G could use and the type of support that makes it worth considering
FSU is a notch below TAM in desirability to become B1G ,in my point of view, but would be a good program for the B1G to have if a deal could be worked out (one not based on revenue received while an ACC member)
I say that because I'm guessing TAM's boosters are far more generous than FSU's and to get away from Texas in the SEC would support the Aggies taking a smaller cut of the pie ( for a few years) to go B1G than the Seminoles would
ND yes
UNC being second but is it b/c of bball, when fb runs the show? Could be
Aggie yes - I believe they have a bunch of big $$ boosters and robust NIL program. One thing they're not short on is money

What's being floated in the media is the B12 as a stopgap for a few years then B1G or SEC - not the worst thing as long as the money is better and somewhat comparable to the Big 2

I make two assumptions here. One the networks run the show, and two they want to maximize $$$$ - they don't give a crap about the schools or the athletes.

In my opinion FSU not getting into the playoffs was a false flag for E$PN to extract then top teams from the ACC and put them in the $EC and BIG 12. E$PN has $$$$ ties to both leagues.

Think of this as a layoff. How do you keep the best teams/properties in your portfolio, and ditch the dead weight? Break up the ACC. Let the remaining ACC teams and league file lawsuits. Big East found out how that went.

$EC and B1G both saying they won't get involved unless ACC ceases to exist. This is PAC-12 part two.

6-8 ACC teams to BIG 12, UNC to $EC or B1G for sure. Maybe one or more of the remaining AAU's to B1G. There will be a battle over NC and Virginia markets. Would $EC be satisfied with NC State or Dook, and Va Tech vs UNC and UVa?

Cut loose: Cuse, WF, BC, Cal, SMU and whoever $EC and B1G don't want. Save money. Spend it on $EC and Big 12.

I don't think $EC, B1G nor Big 12 will let ND park their olympic sports. Big East again - maybe. I think ND being "forced" to B1G.

Hopefully this will be over in the next couple of years.
Your scenario is not at all a good solution for ESPN.

They need live content to fill their cable channels and +.

Eliminating the dead weight of 5-6 schools would not make up for having to give raises to others, and losing the live games of those 5-6 schools plus 50% of the games of the schools that go to the B12 (they share that contract).

ND yes
Aggie yes - I believe they have a bunch of big $$ boosters and robust NIL program. One thing they're not short on is money

What's being floated in the media is the B12 as a stopgap for a few years then B1G or SEC - not the worst thing as long as the money is better and somewhat comparable to the Big 2
I can't see the Vitamin (B-12) Conference as a serious alternative to the ACC, money gained not worth the cost to leave the ACC.
But I could see the Big 12 being used as a possible destination while the B1G and FSU discuss entrance though ""unofficial" third party talks .
The B1G will be claiming there will be no expansion in the foreseeable future and FSU threatens to become a Vitamin all the while those talks are going on.
The entrance might depend on how much FSU is willing to give op in revenue sharing and the amount of years they will accept less ( starting low and increasing every year until a full share is given to them )

ND is the big prize

I tend to agree that UNC and UVA (or VT) are the prime ACC targets. They represent new, untapped markets - especially for the SEC.

ND yes

I haven’t been paying as close attention lately but I don’t see anything being floated in the media with regards to the B12 unless you’re talking about typical internet and twitter rumor mongers. I don’t think any CFB mainstream media has said anything of substance with regard to the ACC schools and the B12.

I can't see the Vitamin (B-12) Conference as a serious alternative to the ACC, money gained not worth the cost to leave the ACC.
But I could see the Big 12 being used as a possible destination while the B1G and FSU discuss entrance though ""unofficial" third party talks .
The B1G will be claiming there will be no expansion in the foreseeable future and FSU threatens to become a Vitamin all the while those talks are going on.
The entrance might depend on how much FSU is willing to give op in revenue sharing and the amount of years they will accept less ( starting low and increasing every year until a full share is given to them )
Yeah I highly doubt the B12 would be a long term situation - just not enough teams of value to keep the revenue gap minimal

Either way, FSU isn't going through all of this not to be in the P2 - but money talks, and if the B12 money is there, at least temporarily, I could see it happening until things get squared away with either the B1G or SEC

I haven’t been paying as close attention lately but I don’t see anything being floated in the media with regards to the B12 unless you’re talking about typical internet and twitter rumor mongers. I don’t think any CFB mainstream media has said anything of substance with regard to the ACC schools and the B12.
A couple of mainstream guys have reported on it
It's not all that far-fetched pending the $$ is right and it's not a permanent thing

A couple of mainstream guys have reported on it
It's not all that far-fetched pending the $$ is right and it's not a permanent thing
Got links or tweets from Thamel, Dellenger, McMurphy, anyone form the Athletic etc..

To me it is fairly far fetched because the money difference wont be enough and the geography isn’t favorable either.

That kind of thing only happens in desperation like the PAC and SMU to the ACC or WVU to the B12…as in essentially no reasonable alternative. Sitting in the ACC despite all the infighting is a perfectly reasonable alternative to the B12.

Got links or tweets from Thamel, Dellenger, McMurphy, anyone form the Athletic etc..

To me it is fairly far fetched because the money difference wont be enough and the geography isn’t favorable either.

That kind of thing only happens in desperation like the PAC and SMU to the ACC or WVU to the B12…as in essentially no reasonable alternative. Sitting in the ACC despite all the infighting is a perfectly reasonable alternative to the B12.
Not if the B12 money is right
Pate and a few others had pods on it

Again, not saying it’s happening - but it’s not completely unreasonable

Not if the B12 money is right
Pate and a few others had pods on it

Again, not saying it’s happening - but it’s not completely unreasonable
I think its pie in the sky dreaming if you think the B12 money will be appreciably better, as in 15-20M, than the ACC. It has to be an appreciable gap to motivate a move, especially when the geography isn’t favorable.

Desperation is the other motivation and that doesn’t apply to FSU as they have a perfectly fine home comparable or better than the B12.

I think its pie in the sky dreaming if you think the B12 money will be appreciably better, as in 15-20M, than the ACC. It has to be an appreciable gap to motivate a move, especially when the geography isn’t favorable.

Desperation is the other motivation and that doesn’t apply to FSU as they have a perfectly fine home comparable or better than the B12.
The only way the money would be significantly different is if he bought him a bunch of elite programs, so I have to be FSU, Clemson, UNC and possibly Notre Dame.

Otherwise, to your point point I don’t see how the money could be any different, or that much different in order to make a move

Anyone can start a rumor.

If you rationally look at the financial aspects associated with the move it doesn't make a lot of sense.

FSU/Clemson and 4 additional ACC teams going to Big 12. Who is paying for the move.

FSU and Clemson now involved in a Court Case involving a potentially negotiated GOR exit. ACC and ESPN are part of the Court Case.

Don't know the outcome at this point but FSU and Clemson could face paying hundreds of millions to leave. Add in 4 additional ACC teams and the amount to exit (GOR) for the 6 schools could exceed $1.5 Billion or more.

Then the Big-12 will have a 22 team conference that will exceed the 18 team members of the B1G. Each Big 12 schools will want to receive more financial compensation approaching what the B1G schools are getting (point of leaving a conference is to make a lot more money).

Who is paying the money (lots of it).

ESPN and ACC (Jim Phillips) sit by and let the money supplier (Fox Sports-Hedge Fund-who ever.) allow this to hurt ESPN bottom line (economically and through significant decrease in ESPN sports content).

Again I don't know what will happen but I feel confident that ESPN will react to anything that would ultimately hurt their bottom line.

ESPN did not become the leader in sports by being stupid (ACC/ESPN Look In for contract modifications occur in 2025).

Count me as skeptical of this Big 12 move as presented.

I'll make one final comment. I would not be totally surprised if the FSU/Clemson GOR Court Case is resolved with both FSU/Clemson dropping the suit because ESPN renegotiated the ACC contract (2025 Look IN) giving more money to the ACC (FSU and Clemson remain in the ACC). FSU and Clemson can then remain Dominant Football Powers in the ACC but not so much in the B1G or SEC.

Wait to see how everything unfolds.

Interesting discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

As an ACC member, which conference teams will become Oregon State/Washington State if the ACC ends?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT