ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

McMurphy says the B1G adding FSU doesn't make financial success.
I disagree and feel FSU bringing in the Florida TV market makes membership a plus while adding a fertile recruiting ground as wEll .
As for disruptive, I doubt FSU would be even a minor irritant in the B1G because of the stratus of some B1G programs would put them in the middle class level , while in the ACC FSU was one of the top dogs and what they do/did made the people running the ACC worry more over FSU's actions than if Wake Forrest did the same.
Correct, but most people don’t understand as a simply want to be paid fair market value

The ACC dropped the ball in that in about 20 other different things, making FSU go public to air their grievances

The fact that it took this long for them to make noises it’s really mind-boggling, as those of us pay attention we’re calling for this type of action years ago

I disagree and feel FSU bringing in the Florida TV market makes membership a plus while adding a fertile recruiting ground as wEll .
As for disruptive, I doubt FSU would be even a minor irritant in the B1G because of the stratus of some B1G programs would put them in the middle class level , while in the ACC FSU was one of the top dogs and what they do/did made the people running the ACC worry more over FSU's actions than if Wake Forrest did the same.
That's a good point on the last one. In the B1G, OSU and Michigan are the Golden Children so FSU would promptly be put in their place if they even remotely tried any crybaby stuff in the B1G.

That's a good point on the last one. In the B1G, OSU and Michigan are the Golden Children so FSU would promptly be put in their place if they even remotely tried any crybaby stuff in the B1G.
Why would they complain?

We’d be in the premier academic and athletic conference in the country, competing, and often times beating the top dogs, allowing us to compete for titles while getting paid fair market value and furthering our athletic and academic departments respectively, as well as our reach as a university.

Market is definitely important and contributes to the bottom line but the largest share of money comes from the tv contracts so if the networks don't want to ante up then it's not enough.

Plus don't forget Fox has an even larger stake in the BTN than they did before the pandemic. I think it's 61% now.

Eventually, I think they will get in just not soon if the networks don't want to pay up.

Why would they complain?

We’d be in the premier academic and athletic conference in the country, competing, and often times beating the top dogs, allowing us to compete for titles while getting paid fair market value and furthering our athletic and academic departments respectively, as well as our reach as a university.
Doesn't mean the B1G won't have eyes on FSU because of past history. FSU is gonna be Kevin Bacon in Animal House being paddled if they get in for a long time. No crying and running to the SEC if they get a bad call vs OSU in a B1G Title Game.

Doesn't mean the B1G won't have eyes on FSU because of past history. FSU is gonna be Kevin Bacon in Animal House being paddled if they get in for a long time. No crying and running to the SEC if they get a bad call vs OSU in a B1G Title Game.
Why?
Because they stood up for their school and their brand, and were tired of getting ****ed?

If anything, B1G leadership will ask them "what the hell took you so long to start making noise" in regard to dealing w/the ACC shitshow

Why?
Because they stood up for their school and their brand, and were tired of getting ****ed?

If anything, B1G leadership will ask them "what the hell took you so long to start making noise" in regard to dealing w/the ACC shitshow
I'm just saying, B1G will say keep your mouths shut if anything doesn't go their way. It's no different than bitching in a job interview to your potential new boss about your current employer. There's just tactful ways of doing this, like USC being much more covert about leaving the Pac-12. B1G if anything may test FSU's loyalty in the early days to make sure they won't be a problem child down the road.

Last edited:
I'm just saying, B1G will say keep your mouths shut if anything doesn't go their way. It's no different than bitching in a job interview to your potential new boss about your current employer. There's just tactful ways of doing this, like USC being much more covert about leaving the Pac-12. B1G if anything may test FSU's loyalty in the early days to make sure they won't be a problem child down the road.
I doubt it
They don't have a history of popping off and acting out of line

In regard to loyalty, the B1G is business first

Doubtful they're having FSU go up to Michigan in November the first year in the conference, just like they wouldn't want Michigan to travel down to Tallahassee in September

They have common sense and realize the big picture - something the ACC never had and never did

I honestly believe, (if it is true that B10 is taking it slow), that the idea is to see what Notre Dame does. If somehow the B12 can dislodge 4 teams, that puts ND in a bind.... UNC then comes up for play as well. Maybe B10 can take ND and UNC and get to 20 and wait. If UNC goes to SEC, maybe B10 takes Stanford instead.

SEC can't keep B10 out of Florida, so maybe go all in on ND and UNC and see what happens with the rest. SEC has zero appetite for Clemson IMO. They can come round for combination of FSU/Miami/UVA/GT/Duke/Clemson/Stanford/Utah/ArizonaSt later to get to 22 or 24. FSU, Miami are not signing long term contracts with B12.

When it comes to the Big 12 poaching ACC members, the money isn't there to make ACC programs feel it's worthwhile.
For the 2022-23 fiscal year, each ACC school received between $43.3 million and $46.9 million; Notre Dame, an independent in football, received $22.1 million.
Big 12 schools received distributions ranging from $43.8 million to $48.2 million.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
So the Big Ten won't take CFB blue bloods FSU/Clemson - teams literally winning and competing for national championships - because it doesn't make sense financially.

But some still think the Big Ten took a huge "risk" and threw Rutgers a "life raft"?
For what - some sort of charity?
Because Tim talked to Delaney on the treadmill?

So the Big Ten won't take CFB blue bloods FSU/Clemson - teams literally winning and competing for national championships - because it doesn't make sense financially.

But some still think the Big Ten took a huge "risk" and threw Rutgers a "life raft"?
Clemson is a good program with recent NC success but nowhere near a CFP blue blood. They don't have anywhere near the history to be a blue blood.

Reactions: NickRU714

If FSU made financial sense, then they would be in the Big Ten.
The conference leadership isn't dumb.
Nobody is voting to add another mouth to feed unless the rest of the mouths at a minimum stay even.

When it comes to the Big 12 poaching ACC members, the money isn't there to make ACC programs feel it's worthwhile.
For the 2022-23 fiscal year, each ACC school received between $43.3 million and $46.9 million; Notre Dame, an independent in football, received $22.1 million.
Big 12 schools received distributions ranging from $43.8 million to $48.2 million.
Don’t forget B12 contract wont be as lucrative now that Texas and OU are gone.

New ACC members aren’t getting anything yet either so less dilution for them.

Correct, but most people don’t understand as a simply want to be paid fair market value

The ACC dropped the ball in that in about 20 other different things, making FSU go public to air their grievances

The fact that it took this long for them to make noises it’s really mind-boggling, as those of us pay attention we’re calling for this type of action years ago
I recall you are a pretty big FSU fan and I feel for you. UCF being in the Big XII AND being in one of the fastest growing regions in the nation.. Orlando area.. I think there's a real chance they will rise to the Big Three Florida school level. And if that happens and if FSU have not resolved their ACC situation.. look out when a "directional school" surpasses them and Miami.

I think FSU belongs in the SEC but not sure the Gators will allow it. Same for Clemson and the 'cocks. Big XII wouldn't be bad either.. but it would create a quasi-instant parity between FSU and UCF... which would be hard to stomach.. but that's better than being surpassed by them.

Clemson is a good program with recent NC success but nowhere near a CFP blue blood. They don't have anywhere near the history to be a blue blood.
I think you misunderstand "southern" football. For many decades of the 20th Century the South felt, perhaps rightfully, under-valued by the "Eastern" media (meaning Northeast to Chicago) that dominated newspapers and radio reporting on a national level. Same reason why the PAC got that whole Bowl Game thing going.. to earn their due on the field.

Clemson is a blue blood down there... though, really, can any non-SEC team really get that recognition these days?

I recall you are a pretty big FSU fan and I feel for you. UCF being in the Big XII AND being in one of the fastest growing regions in the nation.. Orlando area.. I think there's a real chance they will rise to the Big Three Florida school level. And if that happens and if FSU have not resolved their ACC situation.. look out when a "directional school" surpasses them and Miami.

I think FSU belongs in the SEC but not sure the Gators will allow it. Same for Clemson and the 'cocks. Big XII wouldn't be bad either.. but it would create a quasi-instant parity between FSU and UCF... which would be hard to stomach.. but that's better than being surpassed by them.
I like UCF

Always root for them as they’re fun to watch w Malzahn

Don’t think they’ll ever surpass FSU, or Miami for that matter (At least in our lifetimes)

8 combined nattys and a bunch of Heismans in the last 40 years builds up fandom that’s hard to replicate

There was risk, and that risk was reflected in the financial deal we got.

There was risk, and that risk was reflected in the financial deal we got.
Disagree. The financial deal was based on how desperate we were for a deal.. not the risk of the value we brought. Any offer was an offer we couldn't refuse

Though I still would have countered with something attaching an actual price to join rather than what we would be paid over X years after joining). I think Delaney/BigTen would have respected request at least, even if they did not agree. It would only mean paying us more if our value was more than they thought.. which it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT