ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

Greg Swaim Tweet: 4 ACC Schools Joining FSU and Clemson to B12.

Wonder how credible.

JDog: are you becoming a believer?

GO RU

The existing Big Ten conference with the addition of ND( like them or not) Stanford, Texas A&M and Florida State NC/Virginia? That would be a juggernaut that would easily surpass anything the SEC could come up with.
The resources, to much for other conferences to compete with.
With the huge markets in the BIG it would almost be a monopoly. That being said, I’m fine holding at 18 for a while. Let the “sleeping giant” build the brand!
As for Florida State let them do what they have to do. They can join the BIG from the ACC or the Big 12 it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: bigmatt718
The existing Big Ten conference with the addition of ND( like them or not) Stanford, Texas A&M and Florida State NC/Virginia? That would be a juggernaut that would easily surpass anything the SEC could come up with.
The resources, to much for other conferences to compete with.
With the huge markets in the BIG it would almost be a monopoly. That being said, I’m fine holding at 18 for a while. Let the “sleeping giant” build the brand!
As for Florida State let them do what they have to do. They can join the BIG from the ACC or the Big 12 it doesn’t matter.
That's also true. FSU could go to the Big 12 and the B1G can easily poach them away at a later date. Sometimes it's not just who you target to expand, but when you expand as well. B1G may elect to wait until 2028 to strike right before their current media deal is set to end.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Here’s what I’ll say

None of the guys I talk to at FSU put any credence to this story

Doesn’t mean it’s not true or won’t happen, but to quote Jeff Cameron “the B12 would have to pay FSU a billion dollars for them to join”

Which means, in lehmans terms, for the Noles to go to the B12, the yearly $$ would be significantly better than the ACC (accomploshed by increased payout due per team due the number of Marquis schools joining, or in the less likely event, unequal revenue sharing)

Which, if it were to come to fruition, although admittedly, not the first or even the second choice, would be significantly better than the current position FSU is in receiving soon to be $40-$50 million less than our peers, and given the nature of their desire to be in one of the big two conferences, along with how they’re lining things up internally, likely be a stop gap until they were admitted entrance there

Here’s what I’ll say

Doesn’t mean it’s not true or won’t happen, but to quote Jeff Cameron “the B12 would have to pay FSU a billion dollars for them to join”

Which means, in lehmans terms, for the Noles to go to the B12, the yearly $$ would be significantly better than the ACC (accomploshed by increased payout due per team due the number of Marquis schools joining, or in the less likely event, unequal revenue sharing)

Which, if it were to come to fruition, although admittedly, not the first or even the second choice, would be significantly better than the current position FSU is in receiving soon to be $40-$50 million less than our peers, and given the nature of their desire to be in one of the big two conferences, along with how they’re lining things up internally, likely be a stop gap until they were admitted entrance there
So FSU/Clemson goes to the Big 12 with the B1G giving both a handshake agreement that if either get their academics to AAU status, they'll take them in the next media deal around 2028/2029 before the contract expires before 2030. Big 12 can't stop the B1G if that scenario happens.

Swaim is a dipshit. Plain and simple.

Anyone can start a rumor.

If you rationally look at the financial aspects associated with the move it doesn't make a lot of sense.

FSU/Clemson and 4 additional ACC teams going to Big 12. Who is paying for the move.

FSU and Clemson now involved in a Court Case involving a potentially negotiated GOR exit. ACC and ESPN are part of the Court Case.

Don't know the outcome at this point but FSU and Clemson could face paying hundreds of millions to leave. Add in 4 additional ACC teams and the amount to exit (GOR) for the 6 schools could exceed $1.5 Billion or more.

Then the Big-12 will have a 22 team conference that will exceed the 18 team members of the B1G. Each Big 12 schools will want to receive more financial compensation approaching what the B1G schools are getting (point of leaving a conference is to make a lot more money).

Who is paying the money (lots of it).

ESPN and ACC (Jim Phillips) sit by and let the money supplier (Fox Sports-Hedge Fund-who ever.) allow this to hurt ESPN bottom line (economically and through significant decrease in ESPN sports content).

Again I don't know what will happen but I feel confident that ESPN will react to anything that would ultimately hurt their bottom line.

ESPN did not become the leader in sports by being stupid (ACC/ESPN Look In for contract modifications occur in 2025).

Count me as skeptical of this Big 12 move as presented.

I'll make one final comment. I would not be totally surprised if the FSU/Clemson GOR Court Case is resolved with both FSU/Clemson dropping the suit because ESPN renegotiated the ACC contract (2025 Look IN) giving more money to the ACC (FSU and Clemson remain in the ACC). FSU and Clemson can then remain Dominant Football Powers in the ACC but not so much in the B1G or SEC.

Wait to see how everything unfolds.

Interesting discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
It's been noted from different outlets that the ACC did not copy the Big12 GOR word for word and that Clemson lawsuit is not about whether the GOR is valid.

If that ruling is in Clemsons favor (sure it will get appealed) All the schools can leave after it is resolved just for the exit fee. Or ACC negotiates for significantly less. Turn that 1.5B to 10-20%.

FSU lawsuit is we have been wronged, ACC sucks... Clemson throws the GOR out the window on technicalities.

When Panthergrowl posts, it's using what we all thought the GOR was supposed to be.

Pitt should 100% be talking to the Big12.

I used to believe the ACC would get a windfall of $$$. I have posted I wanted the ACC to remain as a weak 4th conference with $$ for the short term.

Based on what has occured so far I'm the courts and some of the documents that have come out.... ACC will lose 4-8 of its top brands and potentially not even be considered part of the Power 4 after the next CFP.

Pitt seems to be acting exactly like Utah did.... the only problem is Pitt might be left out if they continue to stick their head in the sand

So FSU/Clemson goes to the Big 12 with the B1G giving both a handshake agreement that if either get their academics to AAU status, they'll take them in the next media deal around 2028/2029 before the contract expires before 2030. Big 12 can't stop the B1G if that scenario happens.
Not so much academics as it is about money, although I won’t discount it as it does play a factor

If you rationally look at the financial aspects associated with the move it doesn't make a lot of sense.

FSU/Clemson and 4 additional ACC teams going to Big 12. Who is paying for the move.

FSU and Clemson now involved in a Court Case involving a potentially negotiated GOR exit. ACC and ESPN are part of the Court Case.

Don't know the outcome at this point but FSU and Clemson could face paying hundreds of millions to leave. Add in 4 additional ACC teams and the amount to exit (GOR) for the 6 schools could exceed $1.5 Billion or more.

Then the Big-12 will have a 22 team conference that will exceed the 18 team members of the B1G. Each Big 12 schools will want to receive more financial compensation approaching what the B1G schools are getting (point of leaving a conference is to make a lot more money).

ESPN and ACC (Jim Phillips) sit by and let the money supplier (Fox Sports-Hedge Fund-who ever.) allow this to hurt ESPN bottom line (economically and through significant decrease in ESPN sports content).

Again I don't know what will happen but I feel confident that ESPN will react to anything that would ultimately hurt their bottom line.

ESPN did not become the leader in sports by being stupid (ACC/ESPN Look In for contract modifications occur in 2025).

I'll make one final comment. I would not be totally surprised if the FSU/Clemson GOR Court Case is resolved with both FSU/Clemson dropping the suit because ESPN renegotiated the ACC contract (2025 Look IN) giving more money to the ACC (FSU and Clemson remain in the ACC). FSU and Clemson can then remain Dominant Football Powers in the ACC but not so much in the B1G or SEC.

Interesting discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
40/mil/year behind your peers is not sustainable if you’d like to remain elite

That’s really all this comes down to

Last edited:
Here’s what I’ll say

who is Lehman and what are his terms ?

Don't know if Clemson is going to the B1G but I agree with your assessment.

Clemson is the #2 Team in a state with a population of 5 million.

If Clemson and FSU go to the B1G, coupled with the 4 Pac Power Schools and 4 traditional B1G Power Schools, thats 10 teams that hope to be dominant as they were in their old Conferences. 3 B1G slots open for NC. If Clemson in the future becomes a 6-6 team in the New B1G, most people will be talking about how they were good in the ACC but turned to mediocrity (aka Nebraska) in the the B1G.

Have to wait to see how this all shakes out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Mediocrity in one of the two big conferences is a better long term strategy than what is now mediocrity in a dying conference.

It's been noted from different outlets that the ACC did not copy the Big12 GOR word for word and that Clemson lawsuit is not about whether the GOR is valid.

If that ruling is in Clemsons favor (sure it will get appealed) All the schools can leave after it is resolved just for the exit fee. Or ACC negotiates for significantly less. Turn that 1.5B to 10-20%.

FSU lawsuit is we have been wronged, ACC sucks... Clemson throws the GOR out the window on technicalities.

When Panthergrowl posts, it's using what we all thought the GOR was supposed to be.

Pitt should 100% be talking to the Big12.

I used to believe the ACC would get a windfall of $$$. I have posted I wanted the ACC to remain as a weak 4th conference with $$ for the short term.

Based on what has occured so far I'm the courts and some of the documents that have come out.... ACC will lose 4-8 of its top brands and potentially not even be considered part of the Power 4 after the next CFP.

Pitt seems to be acting exactly like Utah did.... the only problem is Pitt might be left out if they continue to stick their head in the sand

People/companies/organizations sign civil contracts all the time. Commerce is based upon the terms and conditions of the contract.

Anyone, can appeal their contract through the court system.

If most/all contracts are found invalid by the courts, there is no point of having a contract.

I'll wait for the legal proceedings to play out.

You did not address the question, who is the party paying ($$$$$$) the 6 departing ACC schools to go to the 22 school Big 12.

I have total confidence in the Pitt administration and governing Board of Directors.

They have guided Pitt to become a Top AAU Research Universiy with $1.16 Billion in Annual Research Grants and accumulating $5.5 Billion in Endowments. As for sports do not be concerned for Pitt, they will be fine.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:

Interesting discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
i agree with you that the Big12 talk is nothing more than the Big12 throwing a hail Mary which is highly unlikely to work. The economics around it just make no sense. Like I have yet to see anyone even attempt to explain how the $ would work. Because it can't. That said, FSU and Clemson cannot and will not stay in the ACC. You don't go through that level of effort and acrimony to sue your conference to simply go back in the end. It is not possible at this point. The only question is where they land and when. B1G 85%, SEC 14%, Big 12 1%, ACC 0%.

i agree with you that the Big12 talk is nothing more than the Big12 throwing a hail Mary which is highly unlikely to work. The economics around it just make no sense. Like I have yet to see anyone even attempt to explain how the $ would work. Because it can't. That said, FSU and Clemson cannot and will not stay in the ACC. You don't go through that level of effort and acrimony to sue your conference to simply go back in the end. It is not possible at this point. The only question is where they land and when. B1G 85%, SEC 14%, Big 12 1%, ACC 0%.
Agree, except if the ACC came back with unequal revenue sharing (which they won’t), increasing FSU & Clemson’s yearly payouts to 70+ million year while decreasing BC/ Cuse / Wake / etc from 40 mil / year to compensate for the difference

Agree, except if the ACC came back with unequal revenue sharing (which they won’t), increasing FSU & Clemson’s yearly payouts to 70+ million year while decreasing BC/ Cuse / Wake / etc from 40 mil / year to compensate for the difference
I don't think that would even move the needle right now. Beyond $, FSU is looking for a long term home with stability and a seat at the big boys table. How does the ACC accomplish that for them? Not to mention, FSU has already gone scorched earth against the ACC. Simply no longer a viable option if a P2 offer is there (which it is)

I don't think that would even move the needle right now. Beyond $, FSU is looking for a long term home with stability and a seat at the big boys table. How does the ACC accomplish that for them? Not to mention, FSU has already gone scorched earth against the ACC. Simply no longer a viable option if a P2 offer is there (which it is)
8/15 is the date to watch out for, and Pate indicated there could be significant movement in July from a bunch of schools
Things should get interesting at conference media days

8/15 is the date to watch out for, and Pate indicated there could be significant movement in July from a bunch of schools
Things should get interesting at conference media days
Yup. Announcement could come any day between now and 8/15. But it will happen

Reactions: rubigtimenow
From your lips to God's ears
I've lost 10 years off my life with this drama!
I get it. I followed realignment religiously for more than a decade before RU got the B1G invite. I have given up hope several times and remember what an emotional roller coaster it is. It is more enjoyable to me to follow now given that RU is already in.

Last edited:
Yup. Announcement could come any day between now and 8/15. But it will happen
You’ve been really confident with you’re predication of FSU to the BIG and the B12 not being a viable option.

May I ask how this bravado is supported? Do you have a connection to the situation?

GO RU

You’ve been really confident with you’re predication of FSU to the BIG and the B12 not being a viable option.

May I ask how this bravado is supported? Do you have a connection to the situation?

GO RU
i have followed realignment religiously since before Nebraska to the B1G. I don't have direct sources myself, but have accumulated a small circle of highly reliable sources who do. Read my posts and analysis on realignment over the years. Vast majority of what I said has proven to be spot on. I also backup my statements with logic on WHY something will happen. Just in this thread alone, 90% of what is written is either insanity or just flat out misinformation. When talking about realignment, it is important to understand not only the motivations of the parties involved, but also their capabilities to actually make something a reality. When the motivations, abilities to make it happen, and the $'s all align, then things get done.

Last edited:
there is some truth to the smoke for A&M. do not think they leave SEC but yeah, back channels. the hate is real there for Texas. I mean it's like Red Dawn vs Soviets hate

Having lived in Houston I can attest to that! And it's reciprocated.

Disagree a bit on the reciprocation. My daughter is a Longhorn. My son-in-law is a Longhorn. I just attended a wedding this weekend that was marrying two longhorns. I also live around and socialize with a ton of Aggies. The hate is more on the Aggie side. Texas’ main rival is OU. By a long shot.

i have followed realignment religiously since before Nebraska to the B1G. I don't have direct sources myself, but have accumulated a small circle of highly reliable sources who do. Read my posts and analysis on realignment over the years. Vast majority of what I said has proven to be spot on. I also backup my statements with logic on WHY something will happen. Just in this thread alone, 90% of what is written is either insanity or just flat out misinformation. When talking about realignment, it is important to understand not only the motivations of the parties involved, but also their capabilities to actually make something a reality. When the motivations, abilities to make it happen, and the $'s all align, then things get done.
From what you have heard, is there anything true to the A&M rumors?

Fair enough and respect the mindset behind your arguments.

I just read the following comments by SEC Sankey which state:

“Our presidents have been clear that I am not going to entangle us in litigation around expansion. So I pay attention, but I'm not engaged in those conversations. The broader implications, obviously if things change, then there's a new level of uncertainty. It already creates speculation that I think is counterproductive, but I don't spend an enormous amount of my time thinking about it. I certainly don't spend any time engaged in that recruiting activity because we're focused on our 16."

In his opening statement to kick off SEC media days, Sankey noted that "Sixteen is our today, and 16 is our tomorrow."

Asked later in his news conference whether tomorrow means staying at 16 for the long term, Sankey said, "Our focus is on our 16 members. I have a responsibility to pay attention, and I'm certainly not going to fuel speculation on what happens next. We can certainly remain at 16 for a long, long time and be incredibly successful."

This tells me the SEC wants nothing to do with considering schools that are caught in a web of litigation and that none of the college presidents want that stench on them; and that they are good where they are (16 schools) which tells the public that FSU and Clemson are not being considered for membership at this time. I would think the BIG has the same line of thinking.

Do you disagree with this assertion?

GO RU

Disagree a bit on the reciprocation. My daughter is a Longhorn. My son-in-law is a Longhorn. I just attended a wedding this weekend that was marrying two longhorns. I also live around and socialize with a ton of Aggies. The hate is more on the Aggie side. Texas’ main rival is OU. By a long shot.
"Texas’ main rival is OU. By a long shot." that might be the reason for the Aggies hate for the Longhorns/
Texas treats A&M like it's nothing and acts like the boss of Texas' College Football and expects to be treated like one.
I'm of the opinion if that Aggie hate for Texas is strong enough and the B1G wants a foothold in Texas, the FSU situation might have a bearing on A&M leaving the SEC to get away from Texas like Nebraska left the Big 12 because of their feeling Texas was running that conference and wanting to get away from Texas' influence on B-12 policies

If FSU gets out of the ACC and asks for B1G membership the B1G might feel Texas A&M might be a better choice to come in with FSU then Clemson would because of gaining a foothold in the fertile Texas recruiting area along with the Florida one FSU will bring.

Fair enough and respect the mindset behind your arguments.

I just read the following comments by SEC Sankey which state:

“Our presidents have been clear that I am not going to entangle us in litigation around expansion. So I pay attention, but I'm not engaged in those conversations. The broader implications, obviously if things change, then there's a new level of uncertainty. It already creates speculation that I think is counterproductive, but I don't spend an enormous amount of my time thinking about it. I certainly don't spend any time engaged in that recruiting activity because we're focused on our 16."

In his opening statement to kick off SEC media days, Sankey noted that "Sixteen is our today, and 16 is our tomorrow."

Asked later in his news conference whether tomorrow means staying at 16 for the long term, Sankey said, "Our focus is on our 16 members. I have a responsibility to pay attention, and I'm certainly not going to fuel speculation on what happens next. We can certainly remain at 16 for a long, long time and be incredibly successful."

This tells me the SEC wants nothing to do with considering schools that are caught in a web of litigation and that none of the college presidents want that stench on them; and that they are good where they are (16 schools) which tells the public that FSU and Clemson are not being considered for membership at this time. I would think the BIG has the same line of thinking.

Do you disagree with this assertion?

GO RU
Conference Commissioners will NEVER tip their hand in advance, would give other Conferences a chance to make a earlier move

Conference Commissioners will NEVER tip their hand in advance, would give other Conferences a chance to make a earlier move
Exactly. Sankey and Petitti are playing poker right now. B1G strikes in the most stealthily ways possible. Hell the USC/UCLA additions didn't come on our radars until they were all but locked in hours later.

Yeah. All of us that have followed the realignment wave over the years are aware that ADs play it straight in front of the cameras but Sankey is basically saying that no school that is tied up in litigation is attractive to our membership. Now if there’s a settlement I would imagine all bets are off.

GO RU

FSU, Clemson + 4 other ACC schools looking to jump to a Power conference with great football & Tradition. Welcome to the New PAC 8

Yeah. All of us that have followed the realignment wave over the years are aware that ADs play it straight in front of the cameras but Sankey is basically saying that no school that is tied up in litigation is attractive to our membership. Now if there’s a settlement I would imagine all bets are off.

GO RU
So Stankey told all school's interested in the SEC that get out of their Conference affiliation first, then we can talk

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I have a brother-in-law who owns a sports bar/restaurant in Houston, and a friend who is an Aggie. Yeah, the hate of the 'Horns is extreme/borderline unhealthy.
I don't personally know any Longhorns, but when I've covered games at Texas and been in Austin, I've gotten the vibe they view A&M so far beneath them as to not even warrant notice. A kind of "the lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep" level hubris. But I'd be interested in hearing any Texas residents (especially 'Horns alumni) weigh in and let me know if I'm right or wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Worm
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT