ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

When talking B 12 getting FSU one must wonder if that Vitamin Conference's payout is worth leaving the ACC for.
I would think not and FSU is in a B1G or SEC membership or stay the course ( until B1G /SEC is willing to accept them)
I'm under the impression that FSU would rather stay in the ACC if they don't get into the B1G/SEC, especially with the CFP expanding to 12 teams.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Regarding Swaim's info. I hope the B12 does nuke the ACC. That will put more pressure on ND to $hit or get off the pot. Also, I don't believe for a second that B1G is standing down. It's probably the opposite. We've seen this before. B12 get 4 corners schools, then B1G grabs Washington and Oregon.

In my opinion the B1G or $EC letting UNC go to the B12 is insane. Assuming Swaim is correct about the "6 ACC schools moving". UNC would be insane to stay in a depopulated ACC. So there has to be more to this.

Assuming Swaim is right about 6 ACC schools going to B12. It will be the ones not going B1G or $EC. My guess, assuming FSU and Clemson go B12 is Pitt, Dook, Lville and one of the rest not named UNC, Wake, BC or Cuse. Probably NC State.

I agree with other posters that I can't see FSU and Clemson doing the heavy lifting in court without some kind of landing spot.

August 15th can't get here fast enough.
I hope FUnd stays independent so long, they become irrelevant. Every year they weaken.

When talking B 12 getting FSU one must wonder if that Vitamin Conference's payout is worth leaving the ACC for.
I would think not and FSU is in a B1G or SEC membership or stay the course ( until B1G /SEC is willing to accept them)
Shelby agrees. Yormark is no dummy, but it seems to me that CU and FSU are trying to use the Big12 angle to force either the B1G and SEC's hand to either take them now with some financial support offsetting the ACC leaving costs or risk not having another shot down the road.

Them joining the Big12 wouldn't increase pressure on ND to join a conference. If the ACC implodes with the departure of the two, ND could just have a scheduling alliance with the Big12 for football instead and be in the Big12 for all other sports. So it doesn't benefit the B1G to let CU and FSU go.

Reactions: LOU-RU85
It’s not even a question . Schiano is the best coach for Rutgers . Narduzzi could not do what Greg is doing at Rutgers. Period . That was the question …….who would be best coach for Rutgers ? So glad the powers chose Greg . Exciting football season coming up. Enjoy it.

Well maybe each team got the coach that they needed to get.

Waiting for the 2024 season to begin.

Recently got a copy of Phil Steele's Football Magazine.

Said many good things about Rutgers and Pitt including the fact that he is predicting both teams to go Bowling this year.

The two early games that I am going to watch is Rutgers vs Virginia Tech (Home) and Pitt (Home) vs West Virginia.

The results of those games should be an indication of how the rest of the season will go for our respective teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Clemson is an absolutely jarring fit for the B1G if they're not NC level in football. They aren't AAU and their academics are meh, they aren't in a state with a massive population or big time media market, and culturally they align more with SEC schools like Ole Miss or Tennessee. If they aren't bringing elite, NC level football, they don't add value to the B1G.

Don't know if Clemson is going to the B1G but I agree with your assessment.

Clemson is the #2 Team in a state with a population of 5 million.

If Clemson and FSU go to the B1G, coupled with the 4 Pac Power Schools and 4 traditional B1G Power Schools, thats 10 teams that hope to be dominant as they were in their old Conferences. 3 B1G slots open for NC. If Clemson in the future becomes a 6-6 team in the New B1G, most people will be talking about how they were good in the ACC but turned to mediocrity (aka Nebraska) in the the B1G.

Have to wait to see how this all shakes out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Didn’t Oregon and Washington do the same?

Both used Big 12 as leverage to gain quick access to Big 10

When all is said and done, I would love to see FSU and UNC from ACC in Big 10.

I'm under the impression that FSU would rather stay in the ACC if they don't get into the B1G/SEC, especially with the CFP expanding to 12 teams.
We’re pretty much done with them
Only way we’re staying as if something crazy happens with the big two, or the big 12 bluster is just that

Shelby agrees. Yormark is no dummy, but it seems to me that CU and FSU are trying to use the Big12 angle to force either the B1G and SEC's hand to either take them now with some financial support offsetting the ACC leaving costs or risk not having another shot down the road.

Them joining the Big12 wouldn't increase pressure on ND to join a conference. If the ACC implodes with the departure of the two, ND could just have a scheduling alliance with the Big12 for football instead and be in the Big12 for all other sports. So it doesn't benefit the B1G to let CU and FSU go.
The preference is obviously the Big Ten, then the SEC, and the last resort would be the big 12

Reactions: Ridge 22
According to 95 and others in the know, absent of Notre Dame, those are the too big fishes on the big ten’s radar
they are

people forget, ND deal with NBC may not even be obtainable and it's baseline is less than 50mm and they have to hit targets for full payout. Now ND playing a BIG slate, game on and networks will pay.

FSU is top 7 in eyeballs, yes a shitty home mkt but lots of TV's tune in to FSU in Fl. UNC has everything the BIG wants

those three are the fish

lots of really stupid shit floating around

but will add, there is some truth to the smoke for A&M. do not think they leave SEC but yeah, back channels. the hate is real there for Texas. I mean it's like Red Dawn vs Soviets hate

Like I said last year and year before, ND options becoming less as both SEC and ND add a conference game.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
they are

people forget, ND deal with NBC may not even be obtainable and it's baseline is less than 50mm and they have to hit targets for full payout. Now ND playing a BIG slate, game on and networks will pay.

FSU is top 7 in eyeballs, yes a shitty home mkt but lots of TV's tune in to FSU in Fl. UNC has everything the BIG wants

those three are the fish

but will add, there is some truth to the smoke for A&M. do not think they leave SEC but yeah, back channels. the hate is real there for Texas. I mean it's like Red Dawn vs Soviets hate

Like I said last year and year before, ND options becoming less as both SEC and ND add a conference game.
Yea that’s the way I see it as well. Not many other options that will move the needle outside of UNC FSU and ND. Spoke to a colleague that went to A&M. He said much of what you said. Will take a lot to make them move again but they didn’t like the smell of the longhorns entering the SEC.

As far as Oregon and Washington using b12 as leverage I read it another way. I think the B1G used the b12 as cover. They didn’t want to be the conference that lead to the demise of the Pac12 as soon as b12 approached the remaining members. It made it easy to swallow the remaining best 2 targets in the PAC at a reduced rate.

Last edited:
Yea that’s the way I see it as well. Not many other options that will move the needle outside of UNC FSU and ND. Spoke to a colleague that went to A&M. He said much of what you said. Will take a lot to make them move again but they didn’t like the smell of the longhorns entering the SEC.

As far as Oregon and Washington using b12 as leverage I read it another way. I think the B1G used the b12 as cover. They didn’t want to be the conference that lead to the demise of the Pac12 as soon as b12 approached the remaining members. It made it easy to swallow the remaining best 2 targets in the PAC at a reduced rate.
BIG didn't want them first go round and it was the networks that pushed that. Hell even the unofficial roll call had Oregon needing a few. crazy to think about. WE ALL better be loving Bob M big time

Oregon and Washington add content for a legit full day of programming and Oregon is nasty good with Washington being an academic counterweight.

Don't know if Clemson is going to the B1G but I agree with your assessment.

Clemson is the #2 Team in a state with a population of 5 million.

If Clemson and FSU go to the B1G, coupled with the 4 Pac Power Schools and 4 traditional B1G Power Schools, thats 10 teams that hope to be dominant as they were in their old Conferences. 3 B1G slots open for NC. If Clemson in the future becomes a 6-6 team in the New B1G, most people will be talking about how they were good in the ACC but turned to mediocrity (aka Nebraska) in the the B1G.

Have to wait to see how this all shakes out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Is Clemson really the #2 ? USC hasn’t been relevant since George Rogers and Clemson’s hoops team has also been better for decades. I’m sure if they could get a do-over the SEC would pick Clemson and not USC

they are

those three are the fish

Are you saying SEC will be adding a 9th conference game shortly? Guess espn needs more significant inventory ? Lol.

Interesting on A&M. Can’t see them leaving Though that’s a game I ll be sure to watch when they play Texas. Lol.

they are

those three are the fish

"but will add, there is some truth to the smoke for A&M. do not think they leave SEC but yeah, back channels. the hate is real there for Texas. I mean it's like Red Dawn vs Soviets hate"

A&M might want to leave , but SEC's Grant of Rights might stop that thought.
I'm not sure but think the SEC made a 10 year deal with ESPN in 2021, so it will be around 2031 when we find out if the hate is strong enough for A&M to leave the SEC like Nebraska's hate for Texas was when they left the Big 12 for the B1G.

Last edited:
Regarding Swaim's info. I hope the B12 does nuke the ACC. That will put more pressure on ND to $hit or get off the pot. Also, I don't believe for a second that B1G is standing down. It's probably the opposite. We've seen this before. B12 get 4 corners schools, then B1G grabs Washington and Oregon.

In my opinion the B1G or $EC letting UNC go to the B12 is insane. Assuming Swaim is correct about the "6 ACC schools moving". UNC would be insane to stay in a depopulated ACC. So there has to be more to this.

Assuming Swaim is right about 6 ACC schools going to B12. It will be the ones not going B1G or $EC. My guess, assuming FSU and Clemson go B12 is Pitt, Dook, Lville and one of the rest not named UNC, Wake, BC or Cuse. Probably NC State.

I agree with other posters that I can't see FSU and Clemson doing the heavy lifting in court without some kind of landing spot.

August 15th can't get here fast enough.
The B1G knows how to keep a lid on exactly what they are doing. I golf with the former SC basketball coach. The AD called him 10 minutes before the story broke to the public that SC was joining. It sure how they do it but they’ve mastered confidentiality.

"but will add, there is some truth to the smoke for A&M. do not think they leave SEC but yeah, back channels. the hate is real there for Texas. I mean it's like Red Dawn vs Soviets hate"

A&M might want to leave , but SEC's Grant of Rights might stop that thought.
I'm not sure but think the SEC made a 10 year deal with ESPN in 2021, so it will be around 2031 when we find out if the hate is strong enough for A&M to leave the SEC like Nebraska's hate for Texas was when they left the Big 12 for the B1G.
Does the SEC or BIG even have a GOR?
Nobody leaves those conferences.

Is Clemson really the #2 ? USC hasn’t been relevant since George Rogers and Clemson’s hoops team has also been better for decades. I’m sure if they could get a do-over the SEC would pick Clemson and not USC

Although both schools are public, the total student body of USC is about 47,000 students and Clemson has a total student body of about 29,000 students.

Clemson going B1G may make them like USC in the SEC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Although both schools are public, the total student body of USC is about 47,000 students and Clemson has a total student body of about 29,000 students.

Clemson going B1G may make them like USC in the SEC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
USC is not public.

It’s not about size of the student body. Oregon St is significantly bigger than Oregon, and how did that work out ?

NC St is significantly bigger than UNC.

Clemson has long been the #1 there. And I think when it’s all said and done they will be in the SEC.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
It’s not about size of the student body. Oregon St is significantly bigger than Oregon, and how did that work out ?

NC St is significantly bigger than UNC.

Clemson has long been the #1 there. And I think when it’s all said and done they will be in the SEC.

At this point who knows.

If FSU and Clemson both go to the SEC, then ESPN will have to pay for the GOR negotiated departures (FSU and Clemson) and then ESPN will have to pay more money for FSU and Clemson to go to the SEC. SEC will then get 2 schools in South Carolina and Florida.

ESPN fights the GOR in Court and then pays for the schools to leave and still remain ESPN broadcast schools.

Not sure ESPN gets a lot for a lot of money.

I'm skeptical of this ESPN scenario.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Exactly! A&M could leave if they wanted.I doubt they would but there’s no GOR holding them back.
I don't think they do but if they did, now is the time. If the BIG grabbed FSU and A&M just wow. think A&M is not happening

the hatred for Texas at A&M is another level.

Does the SEC or BIG even have a GOR?
Nobody leaves those conferences.
Not sure about GOR but in this article it implies TV rights money could be withheld during 2 year waiting period along with paying a $45 million exit fee to leave
The $45 million exit fee might be chump change for TAM,but the lack of revenue sharing, if applied by SEC, for 2 years might hurt
SEC Quietly Adds Exit Fee to Conference Bylaws
3.2.3 Withdrawal Fee—Member Deemed to Have Withdrawn. A member deemed to have withdrawn from the Conference shall pay a withdrawal fee of $45 million to the Conference immediately upon being informed that the Commissioner has determined that the member is deemed to have withdrawn. [Adopted: 1/14/21]

*3.2.4 Reduction of Distributions to Withdrawing Member. The Commissioner may, at any time (including prior to the
effective date of any withdrawal or deemed withdrawal), reduce any distributions otherwise payable to a member that has provided notice of withdrawal or who has been deemed to have withdrawn, including but not limited to distributions otherwise provided for in Bylaw 31, and apply such distributions to the withdrawal fee payable by the member to the Conference. [Adopted: 1/14/21]

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Something about the Big 12 is off IMO. Yormark strikes me as a rich man's Aresco with the AAC. Just a snake oil salesman at his core.
He’s a smart guy, not sure about his ethics or how’s hes going about getting things done, but at the end of the day, when he’s around, things happen

Not sure about GOR but in this article it implies TV rights money could be withheld during 2 year waiting period along with paying a $45 million exit fee to leave
The $45 million exit fee might be chump change for TAM,but the lack of revenue sharing, if applied by SEC, for 2 years might hurt
SEC Quietly Adds Exit Fee to Conference Bylaws
3.2.3 Withdrawal Fee—Member Deemed to Have Withdrawn. A member deemed to have withdrawn from the Conference shall pay a withdrawal fee of $45 million to the Conference immediately upon being informed that the Commissioner has determined that the member is deemed to have withdrawn. [Adopted: 1/14/21]

*3.2.4 Reduction of Distributions to Withdrawing Member. The Commissioner may, at any time (including prior to the
effective date of any withdrawal or deemed withdrawal), reduce any distributions otherwise payable to a member that has provided notice of withdrawal or who has been deemed to have withdrawn, including but not limited to distributions otherwise provided for in Bylaw 31, and apply such distributions to the withdrawal fee payable by the member to the Conference. [Adopted: 1/14/21]

that is a small obstacle in today's game

Reactions: MADHAT1
I don't think they do but if they did, now is the time. If the BIG grabbed FSU and A&M just wow. think A&M is not happening

the hatred for Texas at A&M is another level.
doubt it. there are thousands of mixed families and from A&Ms perspective Texas in the conference means more money for them.

Rivalry doesn’t equal hatred

doubt it. there are thousands of mixed families and from A&Ms perspective Texas in the conference means more money for them.

It runs deep down there man
Straight up religion type stuff
Hard for us to relate up here

how many UT and A&M people do you know personally?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT