ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

I much prefer FSU to Miami.

One: Miami doesn't have the alumni strength to build itself a stadium.

Two: the entire city may be underwater in 50 years.

The Canes are a (very) poor man's USC. When they are contending for a national title, they are popular. When they are not contending, they may draw 25k.
It’s also a land issue in regard to Miami building a Stadium

I cannot and will never be permitted to build one in Coral Gables, so on campus is out of the question

There was that whole MLS and Beckham idea, were they would build a approximate 50,000 seats stadium to be shared by the Miami soccer team and the canes

When they’re elite, they’re more popular than the Dolphins - but when they’re pedestrian, they’re on the Marlins level ( not quite, but you get the point)

On my phone now, so can’t post the link, but Greg Swaim claiming that neither FSU or Clemson will be moving to B1G or SEC. Says Six ACC schools may move to Big 12. These posts coincide with the Big 12 media day news/rumors. He also noted that adding FSU/Clemson can give the Big 12 a lot more TV $$ than the ACC, but still less than B1G/SEC.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
On my phone now, so can’t post the link, but Greg Swaim claiming that neither FSU or Clemson will be moving to B1G or SEC. Says Six ACC schools may move to Big 12. These posts coincide with the Big 12 media day news/rumors. He also noted that adding FSU/Clemson can give the Big 12 a lot more TV $$ than the ACC, but still less than B1G/SEC.
Wow, if true gotta give a lot of credit to the Big 12 commissioner. He's a shaker and mover.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
No clue if true. But I've dealt with Brett for years professionally. He's smart, strategic, and slick. And he knows EVERYBODY. He could sell salt water to a guy drowning in the ocean.
Brett got the Nets moving to Brooklyn desk done with Prok

This is the property equity deal that’s been rumored for a while, not sure if it has legit legs or not

You can share the link in an email to yourself, open the email, then copy and paste it in a post here. or you can share the link in Samsung Notes if using a Samsung Galaxy and copy and paste. or the notes app on iPhone

If fsu and Clemson go to the big 12 , the realignment twitter/youtube insiders will never recover lol

Can’t see making this big of a push by Clemson and FSU only to be relegated to big 12.

If true Sounds to me FSU and Clemson never had the secret invitation to the B1G and SEC. Way too big of a risk initiate the lawsuit without knowing your landing spot.

Think swaim is way off on this one.

We shall see.

Last edited:

Can’t see making this big of a push by Clemson and FSU only to be relegated to big 12.

If true Sounds to me FSU and Clemson never had the secret invitation to the B1G and SEC. Way too big of a risk initiate the lawsuit without knowing your landing spot.

Think swaim is way off on this one.

We shall see.
Honestly it sounds plausible, with Yormark anything is possible and there’s that PE money idea being foisted around

Reactions: satnom
I ran this one by my Clemson buddy and he claims the guy is trolling

Clemson is an absolutely jarring fit for the B1G if they're not NC level in football. They aren't AAU and their academics are meh, they aren't in a state with a massive population or big time media market, and culturally they align more with SEC schools like Ole Miss or Tennessee. If they aren't bringing elite, NC level football, they don't add value to the B1G.

Honestly it sounds plausible, with Yormark anything is possible and there’s that PE money idea being foisted around
Jaydog,

Are you now giving more credence to the possibility of FSU’s main suitor being the B12?

GO RU

Get ready to be sold off piece by piece if that comes to fruition. Private Equity is a death sentence, they only care about one thing, their bottom line not yours. You better pray FSU doesn't get involved in that asinine idea.

Get ready to be sold off piece by piece if that comes to fruition. Private Equity is a death sentence, they only care about one thing, their bottom line not yours. You better pray FSU doesn't get involved in that asinine idea.
Yeah I’m not crazy about it

Reactions: koleszar
I can see PE paying for an exit fee in return for future returns to one or 2 teams. I can’t see PE ponying up to finance an entire conference. I also can’t see why Clemson and FSU would initiate a move and file lawsuits for all intents and purposes a similar situation. The love was to get into a power 2 not into a watered down b12 without Texas and OU. If that’s the case they misread the room and should have stayed put until they had a concrete invite.

Reactions: Shelby65
I can see PE paying for an exit fee in return for future returns to one or 2 teams. I can’t see PE ponying up to finance an entire conference. I also can’t see why Clemson and FSU would initiate a move and file lawsuits for all intents and purposes a similar situation. The love was to get into a power 2 not into a watered down b12 without Texas and OU. If that’s the case they misread the room and should have stayed put until they had a concrete invite.
I assume that if this ever came to fruition, the monetary difference from the big 12 to the ACC would be substantial enough for them to have gone through all the trouble

Alford, Ponder, McCullough, Collins, the BOT and the Boosters are all on the same page (which, for some reason, has never been the case for the powers that be down there), and have financial projections out until around 2042.

I’m going to assume they have thoroughly vetted out every possible scenario in order to make the best short term and long-term decision for the program, and institution

I assume that if this ever came to fruition, the monetary difference from the big 12 to the ACC would be substantial enough for them to have gone through all the trouble

Alford, Ponder, McCullough, Collins, the BOT and the Boosters are all on the same page (which, for some reason, has never been the case for the powers that be down there), and have financial projections out until around 2042.

I’m going to assume they have thoroughly vetted out every possible scenario in order to make the best short term and long-term decision for the program, and institution
One of the scenarios being talked about is B12 offering more money to FSU and Clemson than other members to entice football powers.

Any partnership offering more to some members over others is destined for future problems. Let’s see how this plays out but Yormark will put offers in front of FSU/Clem that will compensate more than ACC in short and long terms. The question is “At what price?”

GO RU

Reactions: Scarlet83
One of the scenarios being talked about is B12 offering more money to FSU and Clemson than other members to entice football powers.

Any partnership offering more to some members over others is destined for future problems. Let’s see how this plays out but Yormark will put offers in front of FSU/Clem that will compensate more than ACC in short and long terms. The question is “At what price?”

GO RU

Agree - especially with their experience with Texas and the Longhorn network.

They obviously believe they need an anchor program(s) to solidify themselves as a P3 league- which is what will be left if FSU/Clemson leave the ACC for the B12 - at least in football. They are already a bball heavyweight.

Reactions: satnom
As I said before, you have a very good active board which engages in many different/varied topics.

Although I like pro sports, I particularly enjoy college sports and all of the issues they are currently facing.

I give opinions on what I believe (based on subject research) and enjoy the debate on the topic. In the end people can just agree to disagree and then come back when the issue is resolved.

Not all topics may be sports related. For example, WVU is raising tuition and cutting academic programs due to a 10% drop in student body over the last several years. Penn State will be facing the same kind of decisions due to its drop in student body at its 20 Branch campuses. Luckily for Rutgers and Pitt they don't have these issues. All topics for future OT discussions.

Pitt will survive and prosper because it is well funded based upon it Research Activity and Endowment.

I do not believe the ACC will not fall apart (as some on this board speculate) and will continue to be a viable component of the college sports scene (future topic discussions). If any ACC teams leave (court GOR resolution) they will be replaced by Big 12 schools or an ACC West Pod involving Washington State/Oregon State.

For those who been to Pittsburgh before you know its a great sports town. Even the Pirates are somewhat competitive this year.

Rutgers will face increased competition in the NEW B1G and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Lastly, I was in the camp that wanted Old Pitt Stadium to be refurbished but the administration believed that the on campus land could be put to better use. I am fine with the decision and drive 3.5 miles further to Acrisure Stadium and engage in all the pre/post game activity on the North Shore. Additionally, you cannot beat NFL Club Seats.

Well the 2024 Football Season will begin shortly and we will be able to discuss W-L and who is the better coach Narduzzi or Greg LOL.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
It’s not even a question . Schiano is the best coach for Rutgers . Narduzzi could not do what Greg is doing at Rutgers. Period . That was the question …….who would be best coach for Rutgers ? So glad the powers chose Greg . Exciting football season coming up. Enjoy it.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Regarding Swaim's info. I hope the B12 does nuke the ACC. That will put more pressure on ND to $hit or get off the pot. Also, I don't believe for a second that B1G is standing down. It's probably the opposite. We've seen this before. B12 get 4 corners schools, then B1G grabs Washington and Oregon.

In my opinion the B1G or $EC letting UNC go to the B12 is insane. Assuming Swaim is correct about the "6 ACC schools moving". UNC would be insane to stay in a depopulated ACC. So there has to be more to this.

Assuming Swaim is right about 6 ACC schools going to B12. It will be the ones not going B1G or $EC. My guess, assuming FSU and Clemson go B12 is Pitt, Dook, Lville and one of the rest not named UNC, Wake, BC or Cuse. Probably NC State.

I agree with other posters that I can't see FSU and Clemson doing the heavy lifting in court without some kind of landing spot.

August 15th can't get here fast enough.

Regarding Swaim's info. I hope the B12 does nuke the ACC. That will put more pressure on ND to $hit or get off the pot. Also, I don't believe for a second that B1G is standing down. It's probably the opposite. We've seen this before. B12 get 4 corners schools, then B1G grabs Washington and Oregon.

In my opinion the B1G or $EC letting UNC go to the B12 is insane. Assuming Swaim is correct about the "6 ACC schools moving". UNC would be insane to stay in a depopulated ACC. So there has to be more to this.

Assuming Swaim is right about 6 ACC schools going to B12. It will be the ones not going B1G or $EC. My guess, assuming FSU and Clemson go B12 is Pitt, Dook, Lville and one of the rest not named UNC, Wake, BC or Cuse. Probably NC State.

I agree with other posters that I can't see FSU and Clemson doing the heavy lifting in court without some kind of landing spot.

August 15th can't get here fast enough.
So VT and UVa are still bound at the hip and SOL ? And what's GT's fate ?

The entire PE thing is ridiculous to me. PE money is not charity. They will want their money back over time, along with a high rate of return, which will have to come out of future media rights $'s, which are already below the P2 before further dilution. While PE might help with cash flow now, it does little to address the fact that the Big 12 would still be at a significant revenue deficit vs the P2. Only now, the Big 12 schools would get even less revenue going forward, as presumably the PE firms would now own a share of future media rights revenues (otherwise why would they bother investing). It feels similar to borrowing on a credit card to buy the same house as the person next door to you has, but who also makes twice as much as you. Great that you now have the cashflow to buy the house you can't afford, but what happens when the bills come due? Unless you are addressing your income situation, taking loans to buy things you can't afford, which is essentially what this is, doesn't solve the problem. Not to mention, if I am FSU and Clemson, it would take a massive premium for me to go to the Big 12, when I have P2 options which offer the most money and future stability. I have yet to see a single person explain how the math would possibly work here.

Ahh they got me
I'm not on Twitter so anything that looks real I just assume is
JD,

Have the winds in your FSU to BIG sail died down? You have to admit: there’s a lot of smoke that FSU is a no go to BIG/SEC and that the main suitor will be the B12?

GO RU

JD,

Have the winds in your FSU to BIG sail died down? You have to admit: there’s a lot of smoke that FSU is a no go to BIG/SEC and that the main suitor will be the B12?

GO RU
Not yet, as the few guys I speak to about this aren’t taking it seriously

But objectively, there is a lot of smoke - and if PE is involved in order to either fund the Acc buyout and / or give FSU uneven revenue revenue, then, whether fsu fans like it or not, it becomes plausible bc, like most things in life, it comes down to money

this thread needs a timeout. The Big XII is not controlling things and let’s not bring Greg Swaim into any discussion here.
Pate said things could happen in July for multiple schools

8/15 is the date Wel have to know by if schools are leaving for the 2025 season

If anyone other than Yormsrl was running the show over there, I would tend to agree that this is all bluster, but the guy is a visionary and almost single-handedly brought the Nets from Jersey to Brooklyn

Hence, I would not rule anything out with him in charge

When talking B 12 getting FSU one must wonder if that Vitamin Conference's payout is worth leaving the ACC for.
I would think not and FSU is in a B1G or SEC membership or stay the course ( until B1G /SEC is willing to accept them)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT