ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

Having lived in Houston I can attest to that! And it's reciprocated.

Just to give this a little bit of context, this was back a couple of decades ago when they were both in the Southwest Conference. I remember there was a lot of hard feelings between Horns and Aggies, I also seem to remember a bit of that between the Horns and Razorbacks.

Arkansas–Texas football rivalry

Fair enough and respect the mindset behind your arguments.

I just read the following comments by SEC Sankey which state:

“Our presidents have been clear that I am not going to entangle us in litigation around expansion. So I pay attention, but I'm not engaged in those conversations. The broader implications, obviously if things change, then there's a new level of uncertainty. It already creates speculation that I think is counterproductive, but I don't spend an enormous amount of my time thinking about it. I certainly don't spend any time engaged in that recruiting activity because we're focused on our 16."

In his opening statement to kick off SEC media days, Sankey noted that "Sixteen is our today, and 16 is our tomorrow."

Asked later in his news conference whether tomorrow means staying at 16 for the long term, Sankey said, "Our focus is on our 16 members. I have a responsibility to pay attention, and I'm certainly not going to fuel speculation on what happens next. We can certainly remain at 16 for a long, long time and be incredibly successful."

This tells me the SEC wants nothing to do with considering schools that are caught in a web of litigation and that none of the college presidents want that stench on them; and that they are good where they are (16 schools) which tells the public that FSU and Clemson are not being considered for membership at this time. I would think the BIG has the same line of thinking.

Do you disagree with this assertion?

GO RU
I agree the new conferences do not want to get involved in the GOR dispute with the old conference. Bad look. I don't think it will matter much though. FSU and probably Clemson too, will settle relatively quickly. I think people will be surprised at that. FSU probably not before 8/15, but I don't think that impacts their decision. They will announce and it will get resolved. Clemson likely to settle quickly thereafter. Their legal arguments are similar. ACC is better off settling then setting a precedent. Plus discovery would be rough for them. Among other issues in proceeding.

Your larger point though is in essence the argument behind the Big12 hail Mary as I see it. Borrow gobs of PE money today to hand over to FSU and Clemson to cover their costs to leave and then watch the ACC implode and hope you are still relevant in 2030 when the bills come due and their new media rights deal would kick in. Just don't see it as viable, but I appreciate their balls to think outside the box. If Yormark was running the old Big East, it would still be here today in good shape i bet

"Texas’ main rival is OU. By a long shot." that might be the reason for the Aggies hate for the Longhorns/
Texas treats A&M like it's nothing and acts like the boss of Texas' College Football and expects to be treated like one.
I'm of the opinion if that Aggie hate for Texas is strong enough and the B1G wants a foothold in Texas, the FSU situation might have a bearing on A&M leaving the SEC to get away from Texas like Nebraska left the Big 12 because of their feeling Texas was running that conference and wanting to get away from Texas' influence on B-12 policies

If FSU gets out of the ACC and asks for B1G membership the B1G might feel Texas A&M might be a better choice to come in with FSU then Clemson would because of gaining a foothold in the fertile Texas recruiting area along with the Florida one FSU will bring.
While I don’t want more B1G expansion, IMO, Clemson is behind FSU, UNC, TAM and UVA.

And Clemson is WAYYYY behind those schools. Clemson does not pay for themselves and their football program has been trending down.

Last edited:
While I don’t want more B1G expansion, IMO, Clemson is behind FSU, UNC, TAM and UVA.

And Clemson is WAYYYY behind those schools. Clemson does not pay for themselves and their football program has been trending down.
I totally agree. Clemson brings nothing meaningful outside of football.

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT