ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

Actually, Rutgers was taken for the most part to get the B1G into the NYC Nielsen TV Market Area.

The ACC/ACCN now gets into the Dallas/Fort Worth TV Nielsen Market (#5 Nielsen ranking/ and into Texas) and into the San Fran/Oakland Market (#10 Nielsen ranking and into California).

Watch out for SMU in the future. Phil Steele has them ranked #4 in the ACC this year. If Clemson leaves they could be the new Clemson LOL. Hey with the NIL, big money teams can move up quickly in the new era of college football.

I posted previously how SMU donors raised $160 million this year alone.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Yea that’s what I said about Rutgers and Maryland earlier. Thanks for reiterating. If the game was still about cable carry fees Cal and Stanford would have been taken over Oregon and Washington. And UCONN wouldn’t be left out on an island.

Actually, Rutgers was taken for the most part to get the B1G into the NYC Nielsen TV Market Area.

The ACC/ACCN now gets into the Dallas/Fort Worth TV Nielsen Market (#5 Nielsen ranking/ and into Texas) and into the San Fran/Oakland Market (#10 Nielsen ranking and into California).

Watch out for SMU in the future. Phil Steele has them ranked #4 in the ACC this year. If Clemson leaves they could be the new Clemson LOL. Hey with the NIL, big money teams can move up quickly in the new era of college football.

With NIL money teams can now compete for the Rival 5/4 Star recruits.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
SMU has the potential to be a top tier program in the country

Post death penalty and Prior to NIL, they had no shot of ever being relavent

This is precisely why I am in favor of NIL

Reactions: Panthergrowl13

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
SMU might get back to being close to what they were in the SWC, before being hit with the
"Death Penalty"
Mustang booster seem to be stepping up and trying to bring back the SWC type program SMU was.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Yea that’s what I said about Rutgers and Maryland earlier. Thanks for reiterating. If the game was still about cable carry fees Cal and Stanford would have been taken over Oregon and Washington. And UCONN wouldn’t be left out on an island.

College football and conferences are evolving and teams that were good in the past may not be so good in the future.

I'm sure Rutgers plans to improve to a Tier 1-2 team in the NEW B1G.

All the new teams coming into the B1G I'm sure think they will be just as good as they were in their old conference.

Will just have to wait to see how it all plays out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

College football and conferences are evolving and teams that were good in the past may not be so good in the future.

I'm sure Rutgers plans to improve to a Tier 1-2 team in the NEW B1G.

All the new teams coming into the B1G I'm sure think they will be just as good as they were in their old conference.

Will just have to wait to see how it all plays out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

The top talent will funnel into the P2 conferences. It’s already happening. We have the resources, the coaching, the exposure, the money, Etc.

The P2 will either keep the ACC and Big12 as punching bags moving forward, giving them 2-3 spots total in a playoffs. Can't compete with less than 50% $$ and perception of being a weaker conference ..or just jump to 20-24 teams each in the P2 and do a 40-48 breakaway.

I prefer the former...

If Private Equity can entice Bama and Ohio State, there might be a 30 team Brand breakaway, but that seems unlikely as eventually you will see some brands become perennial losers.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

All the B1G alumni living the Megalopolis was another reason why RU and Maryland were selected.

The top talent will funnel into the P2 conferences. It’s already happening. We have the resources, the coaching, the exposure, the money, Etc.

Recruits will go to teams that they believe can provide them the best opportunity to play in the NFL.

Why sit on the bench until you graduate.

Pitt for example had 17 recruits drafted into the NFL (7 Rounds) in the last 4 years while Rutgers had 4 recruits drafted into the NFL in the last 4 years.

Pitt's NFL draft numbers also exceed many other B1G teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Recruits will go to teams that they believe can provide them the best opportunity to play in the NFL.
This doesn’t reflect today’s college football. Even if kids don’t need the money, they will go to schools that value them fairly. The $$$ isn’t just about financial stability, it’s about showing how much a school values them… Some kids might be willing to take a little less to stay home or to be part of a cultural fit, but you need to be in the ballpark with $$$. And let’s not kid ourselves, there are some who are looking for financial stability. This is why schools are trying so hard to get into the P2. It’s also why the B1G and SEC are going to be reluctant to open the membership books.

Pitt for example had 17 recruits drafted into the NFL (7 Rounds) in the last 4 years while Rutgers had 4 recruits drafted into the NFL in the last 4 years.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Current SEC schools and B1G schools dominated the draft this year and that is only going to become more pronounced moving forward. Better resources, better coaching, more players in the NFL, better exposure, better competition, etc.

Why is there an ACC thread? This is a Rutgers/Big Ten forum.
Because this is a football board.

Conference realignment can impact the B1G.
All ACC topics got rolled into one, so our vast # of OT topics wouldn't be impacted in the off season.

It is one of the more relevant threads to the football board.

I for one, rather enjoy reading the potential movement when it comes to realignment.

This topic has had great discussions from different POVs & hasn't gone off the rails.

Because this is a football board.

Conference realignment can impact the B1G.
All ACC topics got rolled into one, so our vast # of OT topics wouldn't be impacted in the off season.

It is one of the more relevant threads to the football board.

I for one, rather enjoy reading the potential movement when it comes to realignment.

This topic has had great discussions from different POVs & hasn't gone off the rails.
Also FSU might be considered a potential B1G member if they can get out of the ACC.

Reactions: wheezer
Also FSU might be considered a potential B1G member if they can get out of the ACC.
Agreed. Also I believe others have claimed UNC is desired if ACC falls apart( after ND of course).
Although I don't get it, I guess I'm not over their fake classes for athletes & don't understand how that doesn't negatively impact their academic reputation.

Agreed. Also I believe others have claimed UNC is desired if ACC falls apart( after ND of course).
Although I don't get it, I guess I'm not over their fake classes for athletes & don't understand how that doesn't negatively impact their academic reputation.
You don't have to overthink it. NC as a state is 9th by population and UNC is an elite public institution - top 5 by USNWR. Inroads into the south, the BIG's clearest weakness. Top 10 (fuzzy here) state for high school football talent, depending on the metric. Guys like Dexter Lawrence, Brandon Spikes etc. And they are a true blue blood for basketball to add some frosting. Even football hasn't been elite but you have LT and top 40 all-time in wins.

A no-brainer addition.

Reactions: mosito
Maryland has been in the B1G for a decade now and has an ACC ring in football more recently than more than half the ACC. Miami, Cuse, and BC sure contributed to the goose eggs in the ACC in football.

I'll bring some facts to the discussion.

Pitt does not play to a 3/4 empty stadium. Using data from Phil Steele's 2024 Football Magazine and how we compare to Rutgers and Maryland for home attendance per game. Also remember Pitt was 3-9 last year.

Rutgers Home Football attendance 49,251 (#44)
Pitt Home Football attendance 48,122 (#47)
Maryland Football Home attendance 40,314 (#56)

As I tried to explain, playing in an NFL Stadium (Acrisure) located 3.5 miles from campus for 7 home football games a year is not a negative as some posters make it out to be. Pitt has very favorable financial terms.

Why spend $ 750 million or more for a new on campus stadium (used only 7 times per year) when you can direct funds toward Research Facilities that can be utilized 24/7.

All of Pitt's Health Care Programs are ranked in the Top 20 (US News "Americas Best Graduate Programs).

Supporting the University Health Programs is the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC).

UPMC is an integrated Global nonprofit Health enterprise comprising 40 Hospitals and over 100,000 employees.

As I stated in a previous post UPMC is now spending $1.5 Billion for a new 17 story on campus special medicine tower that is targeted to open in 2026.

How does Pitt compare to FSU from attracting research dollars and research expenditures.

Pitt is an AAU Research University that utilizes annual research grants amounting to $1.16 Billion per year and is ranked #50 in US News Global Ranking.

FSU is aspiring to become an AAU Research University and has research expeditures of about $400 million per year and is ranked #305 in US News Global Ranking.

Bottom line Pitt brings in over $700 million more per year than FSU from a Research perspective (More money in Rsearch vs Sports).

Now I do think that FSU will be able to become an AAU University some time in the future and is a good academic school.

However, I do think FSU will have a hard time dominating in the B1G (if accepted) as they had in the ACC. I think the days of FSU being 12-0 to 10-2 will be over. Additionally, I wonder if FSU would want to keep their annual game (OOC) with the University of Florida and risk the potential loss.

I do think that the FSU case will be resolved via the Courts and the ACC will not negotiate a settlement (appeals likely). Texas and Oklahoma had to pay $50 million each to leave the Big 12 for 1 year and Maryland had to pay about the same to leave the ACC.
FSU is facing a 10 year GOR payment.

As for Pitt, I am confident that the ACC will survive and Pitt will continue to do well in sports and financially prosper.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Pitt is a great school. And the only one from the old BE that I still pull for. Much in common with RU. But your near and mid-term future look F'd right now. Either the Big 12 or a neutered ACC (with even lower payouts than today) seem almost guaranteed within the next 1-2 years. May not be fair, but it is your reality.

Why is there an ACC thread? This is a Rutgers/Big Ten forum.
If a football centric thread on a football centric message board doesn’t interest you (ironic, considering theres 547 other off-topic posts on page 1 of this board, most having nothing to do with football), especially when one of the prominent schools mentioned is a serious candidate for the B1G sooner rather than later…. You may want join another board

Pitt is a great school. And the only one from the old BE that I still pull for. Much in common with RU. But your near and mid-term future look F'd right now. Either the Big 12 or a neutered ACC (with even lower payouts than today) seem almost guaranteed within the next 1-2 years. May not be fair, but it is your reality.
Agree
And this is precisely why I love NIL

Prior to NIL, Pitt was toast
As in, never seriously competing again in any of our lifetimes

Now, thanks to NIL, they at least have hope

Spoke to my guy last night and got this update (quoted in typical J-Dog style, clearly not verbatim)

“Things are status quo.

Powers that be are weighing early exit vs 2027 end of league due to ESPN not renewing contract - if $ discrepancy per year vs negioated buyout makes sense, they’ll go that route.

If not, they’ll wait til 2027 (there’s other ancillary issues at stake as well (increased Ticket sales, merchandise, impact on Tallahassee economy, etc) rather than just numbers with the buyout versus the new league pants payouts)

Moody (Florida AG) is a boss and really helped us w the lawsuit exposing those frauds.”

Thankfully the season is starting soon so we can focus on the fun stuff rather than the business aspect of things

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Coaches Poll is out. Top 10 are…

SEC
B1G
B1G
SEC
SEC
SEC
Notre Dame
B1G
B1G
FSU who is suing the ACC to try and leave to the B1G/SEC

Still having trouble visualizing the P2?

Coaches Poll is out. Top 10 are…

SEC
B1G
B1G
SEC
SEC
SEC
Notre Dame
B1G
B1G
FSU who is suing the ACC to try and leave to the B1G/SEC

Still having trouble visualizing the P2?
10 is super ambitious
We lost a ton of guys

Mikes not consistently recruiting at the level where you can simply reload every year like Bobby used to (although last year’s class and this year’s class, if repeated, will certainly change things in that regard), and there’s no way he can keep hitting gems in the portal at the ungodly rate he’s been doing it

Just goes to show how bad the ACC is
If they’re in the B1G/SEC, they’d be ranked 15-20ish

Fair point. Actual on field results should count more .

Did you happen to see playoffs last year?

B1G vs SEC
SEC vs B1G

If you look at the actual National Championships in the last 15 years it looks more like a P-1 with the SEC.

The football season will be beginning soon and the Rutgers game against VT should be an interesting match up we can discuss.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

If you look at the actual National Championships in the last 15 years it looks more like a P-1 with the SEC.

The football season will be beginning soon and the Rutgers game against VT should be an interesting match up we can discuss.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

No one is talking about 15 years. I am talking about the P2. That’s a new phenomenon where the consolidation of money, exposure, brands, and talent has taken place. It’s a new dawn for everyone but those who put their heads in the sand. Like it or not, there is no P4. That’s the point.

No one is talking about 15 years. I am talking about the P2. That’s a new phenomenon where the consolidation of money, exposure, brands, and talent has taken place. It’s a new dawn for everyone but those who put their heads in the sand. Like it or not, there is no P4. That’s the point.

Your opinion is respected but the actual results in the next 15 years need to be determined.

Speculation is not verification.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Your opinion is respected but the actual results in the next 15 years need to be determined.

Speculation is not verification.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Commen sense is a virtue that Utah fans could have used.

Speculating that a routine fly ball will be caught every time is common sense. You would argue that the sun can get in the way or that a bird will fly into the ball. But the latter is less than 1% chance.

Speculating that
The SEC and B10 are the P2
Or
ACC without FSU / Clemson is a clear 4th conference

Are pretty much guarantees and not speculation. Putting your head in the sand and saying let's see the results doesn't change that.

When I hear B12 fans say that Pitt is the new Utah, they speaking truth.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Bc
Why is it noteworthy if ordered by the judge?
Bc it’s another step (and a rather important one) in the battle to get out

Rohan is a good listen on multiple podcasts and has access to FSU leadership

He believes (as do I, and many others) that this gets resolved between 8-16-24 and 2-1-25

Latest info indicates 50/50 between going to B1G and SEC, with a payout in the neighborhood of 200 million

The other unlikely scenario being floated (similar to the B12 theory - not impossible, but pretty much DOA) is ESPN telling the ACC no mas for 2027 and beyond unless you give fsu & Clemson ~80-90 mil/year to stay (based on media revenue historically) through the duration of the contract, with a handful of others getting a little more than half that, and the rest getting ~1/3 of the 2 big dogs (and espn’s payout the league remains the same)

Bc

Bc it’s another step (and a rather important one) in the battle to get out

Rohan is a good listen on multiple podcasts and has access to FSU leadership

He believes (as do I, and many others) that this gets resolved between 8-16-24 and 2-1-25

Latest info indicates 50/50 between going to B1G and SEC, with a payout in the neighborhood of 200 million

The other unlikely scenario being floated (similar to the B12 theory - not impossible, but pretty much DOA) is ESPN telling the ACC no mas for 2027 and beyond unless you give fsu & Clemson ~80-90 mil/year to stay (based on media revenue historically) through the duration of the contract, with a handful of others getting a little more than half that, and the rest getting ~1/3 of the 2 big dogs (and espn’s payout the league remains the same)
It's a purely procedural step if the ACC has no desire to settle at this point. Do you think there will be some ACC epiphany when FSU asks to get out for a fraction of the GOR and the ACC goes "you know what.... sure let's do that."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT