ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Shine Is Off Coach Prime

The new school wasn't even getting off the ground.
Can't do "due dilliegence" on a new thing - its a dice role no matter what
Did you see Bill Di Blasio's wife lose a billion?
The "idealists" with lofty goals can be the worst grifters
The "rescue" schools and programs etc are full of grifters and dopes and Deion ran into them
I ran into them myself doing community stuff
There are reasons why so many things have been bad for decades and never get better despite helicopter cash

she should be in jail with the rest of them

Reactions: ashokan
I'personally prefer GS's approach but all this talk of "built to last" completely overlooks why GS is back again rebuilding. His method is no more built to last than Deon's.

Reactions: brgRC90
she should be in jail with the rest of them

Sure but these people all get away with things because the corruption mafias covers for their own.
A lot of "poor" places are awash in funds that do more for the bureacratic gangsters than the people.
When they cry "need more money!" they mean for them

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I'personally prefer GS's approach but all this talk of "built to last" completely overlooks why GS is back again rebuilding. His method is no more built to last than Deon's.
It was "built to last" until you had a totally incompetent come in and decide he had to tear everything down and rebuild from scratch. He got the tearing it down part done but did nothing for the second part.

Reactions: redking

Deion likes established players who will be in and out.
Holding hands with underbuilt freshman for a couple years before they can start isn't ideal

I was listening to Rick Pitino on WFAN and he explained how he thought NIL was only kids getting endorsement deals but schools also have general funds to pay players.

RIght now Monangai could get 1000 yds and 10 TDs this year
A productive yet high character player like that who had service academy and Ivy offers can hit the jackpot. Shedeur will make 10 million next year and a bunch of others will make 2+ million.

On3.com (started by rivals.com founder) has Monongai NIL value at 177k a year.
That could prove low the way his season is going.
Freshman Cormani McClain just started playing at Colorado and has 500k
Colorado has money flying all over the place and a good RB going there can make an NFL rookie salary.
Players will go to Colorado for the hype, publicity and cash more than score of Stanford game

yeah I mean exactly. It didn't last.
Holding hands with underbuilt freshman for a couple years before they can start isn't ideal

I was listening to Rick Pitino on WFAN and he explained how he thought NIL was only kids getting endorsement deals but schools also have general funds to pay players.

A productive yet high character player like that who had service academy and Ivy offers can hit the jackpot. Shedeur will make 10 million next year and a bunch of others will make 2+ million.

Colorado has money flying all over the place and a good RB going there can make an NFL rookie salary.
Players will go to Colorado for the hype, publicity and cash more than score of Stanford game

I understand. I have never criticized Deon. What he is building isn't my personal style but I understand it. I believe he will be successful with wins and losses eventually too, even if he only has other metrics to hang his hat on now. Spectacle sells.

I was simply pointing out that nothing is guarenteed to last once coaches leave.

yeah I mean exactly. It didn't last.

I understand. I have never criticized Deon. What he is building isn't my personal style but I understand it. I believe he will be successful with wins and losses eventually too, even if he only has other metrics to hang his hat on now. Spectacle sells.

I was simply pointing out that nothing is guarenteed to last once coaches leave.

True and worth mentioning Sanders has what Greg had in his first stint - a college president and AD that are with him 100%. I've seen that with most teams making a dramatic u-turn, it takes every level to commit. Army coaches could not get out of a slump with a superintendent that was not on the mission with coach. Monken got that and had a ND exec as AD. He "got football" where other ADs didn't - they usually wanted to build structures as some ADs do.

Colorado athletic director Rick George loves Deion and likes his crucifixes and prayers. There have already been hostile groups unhappy with Sanders religiosity but the uni isn't ready to throw him under the bus as usually happens, That's a reason Sanders loves Colorado and the admins there. Plus he loves the views and atmosphere.

I used to think Colorado was in middle of nowhere recruiting wise but its in the middle of everywhere. RU could have trouble getting CA kids but Colorado is half-way there - and Texas, FL, Ohio...

JcMQgeQ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKnightclub
Recruiting and personnel management is the single most important responsibility of a p5 college head coach lol

Disagree? Go talk to Urban Meyer.
No crap. And with his guys he Gonna be 6-6 or 7-5 best case scenario. So not really sure what your point is.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

If you don’t win and win big the NIL money will disappear.

Reactions: TRU2RU
People keep mentioning Colorado NIL as if they're Texas A&M or Texas. I don't get that impression from what I read and have posted here in the past. A handful of their players like Sanders/Hunter and a few others might have big NIL deals but I don't think most of the team does. Also Sanders/Hunter had many of those NIL deals at JSU before they even came to Colorado. I also don't get the impression that it's all or even mostly the booster funded variety of NIL but rather actual endorsements and partnerships etc...they had them before Deion was even hired.

Reactions: vkj91
No crap. And with his guys he Gonna be 6-6 or 7-5 best case scenario. So not really sure what your point is.
When you look at the rest of their schedule- hard to find another win, much less 2 or 3.

Colorado has a great offense
Not so good on defense
They have a great passing offense, they can't run the ball for squat. They don't pass protect well either. Sanders gets sacked a lot, although I do think some part of that stems from holding the ball too long.

They don't need to run the very well but they're very bad and that's a problem and why it's harder to salt away a game being up 29-0. If they were just decent at it, they'd be in better shape. The OL needs quite a bit of work.

Defense is bad.

Reactions: biazza38
When you look at the rest of their schedule- hard to find another win, much less 2 or 3.
Most were thinking Arizona but I wonder if WSU is a better chance. That dollar package seems to have done a number on Ward and the WSU offense. Arizona has looked good with Fifita coming in for an injured De Laura the last few games. I'd probably keep Fifita in even after De Laura gets healthy.

Last edited:
People may not like the flash and attention Deion brings but it has purpose. It's obviously a positive for eyeballs and selling and promoting the program, especially one that's not on the radar like high status schools

The other thing is it helps attract "traditional" NIL money. If you're a company/brand selling something wouldn't you want all the attention/eyeballs that Deion brings to whatever you're trying to sell. So that attention/flash attracts potential NIL which in turn can attract higher quality players. At the outset, I think the attention/flash is a good spark for it but eventually substance behind the flash will be needed to turn the spark into flame that can keep on burning.

Reactions: brgRC90 and vkj91
People may not like the flash and attention Deion brings but it has purpose. It's obviously a positive for eyeballs and selling and promoting the program, especially one that's not on the radar like high status schools

The other thing is it helps attract "traditional" NIL money. If you're a company/brand selling something wouldn't you want all the attention/eyeballs that Deion brings to whatever you're trying to sell. So that attention/flash attracts potential NIL which in turn can attract higher quality players. At the outset, I think the attention/flash is a good spark for it but eventually substance behind the flash will be needed to turn the spark into flame that can keep on burning.
Exactly. All the flash is freest when you are winning. Keep losing and it gets old and people start to resent it.

People keep mentioning Colorado NIL as if they're Texas A&M or Texas. I don't get that impression from what I read and have posted here in the past. A handful of their players like Sanders/Hunter and a few others might have big NIL deals but I don't think most of the team does. Also Sanders/Hunter had many of those NIL deals at JSU before they even came to Colorado. I also don't get the impression that it's all or even mostly the booster funded variety of NIL but rather actual endorsements and partnerships etc...they had them before Deion was even hired.

Technically Sanders isn't crazy about booster NIL.
He doesn't want players "chasing the bag" without having the performance behind it,
He wants players comfortable but he sees NFL devlopemnt aas the real "bag" to aim for.

I think that's where other teams will be.
Giving money to kids not doing the work - and maybe developing character issues - doesn't seem viable in long run.

There is a Colorado collective and they are working with Sanders to keep balance. I think NIL sources will be even more attracted to that. One of these days a high paid NIL goof is going to backfire.

Deion Sanders on NIL landscape: 'NIL is not a problem with me, collectives are'​

https://www.on3.com/college/colorad...ectives-nil-joel-klatt-problem-issue-players/

Exactly. All the flash is freest when you are winning. Keep losing and it gets old and people start to resent it.
Flash only lasts so long. It's still the honeymoon phase and that might even go into next year a little. Substance is long term and eventually has to come through or it all fades.

See Duke and Elko as a 180 of Deion and Colorado. No flash or style but plenty of substance so far. 9 win season in year 1, this year a win over Clemson and nail biter loss to ND. Ranked again. That's substance for 1.5 years of work. Unfortunately, Leonard is hurt. I think FSU will be a tough mountain to climb without him.

Flash only lasts so long. It's still the honeymoon phase and that might even go into next year a little. Substance is long term and eventually has to come through or it all fades.

See Duke and Elko as a 180 of Deion and Colorado. No flash or style but plenty of substance so far. 9 win season in year 1, this year a win over Clemson and nail biter loss to ND. Ranked again. That's substance for 1.5 years of work. Unfortunately, Leonard is hurt. I think FSU will be a tough mountain to climb without him.

Sanders and Buffs go to Oregon to play and Phil Knight and Nike bosses are there to meet Deion on the field. Think they are there for Duke? Oregon coach have a Nike shoe deal? People overdo the W/Ls.

Deion wants to win and will take any player or coach that can help him - and stay on the beam at the same time. It doesn't matter if a player/coach is black, white or purple. Yet is still a fact that Sanders wanted to help HBCUs. With that and his Colorado juice, Sanders has a huge following among people all but especially among black fans.

That corporate/good ole SEC vibe is stale There have been other black coaches who came and went in CFB. Deion is only one to expand that appeal greatly. The fact his own kids are successful and also role models has added to that. Nike sees that and a few loses wont change anything. There are black players who will pick Colorado for same reasons Hunter went to Jackson. The biggest problem could be Sanders health. He's always on the edge.

Sanders and Buffs go to Oregon to play and Phil Knight and Nike bosses are there to meet Deion on the field. Think they are there for Duke? Oregon coach have a Nike shoe deal? People overdo the W/Ls.

Deion wants to win and will take any player or coach that can help him - and stay on the beam at the same time. It doesn't matter if a player/coach is black, white or purple. Yet is still a fact that Sanders wanted to help HBCUs. With that and his Colorado juice, Sanders has a huge following among people all but especially among black fans.

That corporate/good ole SEC vibe is stale There have been other black coaches who came and went in CFB. Deion is only one to expand that appeal greatly. The fact his own kids are successful and also role models has added to that. Nike sees that and a few loses wont change anything. There are black players who will pick Colorado for same reasons Hunter went to Jackson. The biggest problem could be Sanders health. He's always on the edge.
His son Shiloh to Oregon players: "I'll beat the f--- out of every one of y'all and your coach."

Yeah dude great role model for kids... 🙄

Wins and losses always matter. It's sports. People won't pay big money to be associated with teams that lose. You have to be and stay relevant to keep those things coming long term. Right now it doesn't matter because it's still in the initial honeymoon stage. Eventually it will and the results will have to be there. He doesn't need to win championships or national titles but he does need to be on the radar, which likely means rankings and meaningful games.

Does anyone think Prime will be at Colorado in 5 years? Does anyone think they will be good 5-10 years from now?

Reactions: TRU2RU
I say this often here. You just take it for what it is in the moment and don't read too far into future.

Oh heck yes.

Sanders has a serious familial clotting issue that killed other relatives, and our DC lunatics are trying to cripple US with another war (and flirting nukes) and Chase's Dimon is saying we have greates danger time in decades. Five years is hard to predict but its probably not good

Oh heck yes.

Sanders has a serious familial clotting issue that killed other relatives, and our DC lunatics are trying to cripple US with another war (and flirting nukes) and Chase's Dimon is saying we have greates danger time in decades. Five years is hard to predict but its probably not good
😯 I sort of just read blah blah blah blah blah Five years is hard to predict but probably not good

The new school wasn't even getting off the ground.
Can't do "due dilliegence" on a new thing - its a dice role no matter what
Did you see Bill Di Blasio's wife lose a billion?
The "idealists" with lofty goals can be the worst grifters
The "rescue" schools and programs etc are full of grifters and dopes and Deion ran into them
I ran into them myself doing community stuff
There are reasons why so many things have been bad for decades and never get better despite helicopter cash

There is a lot of graft and corruption on all sides. The ones that stand up against it don't last long as they threaten the MAJORITY of politicians.. they threaten THE GAME.

Reactions: ashokan
😯 I sort of just read blah blah blah blah blah Five years is hard to predict but probably not good

Blah blah blah were're going into the biggest war in history - and its coming here - no TV wars. Lots of people wont be here in five years. Alas most Americans are worse then clueless about world events. Its ok to be ignorant but Americans are ignornat while thinking they are at head of the class. They believed Ukraine was winning which was not smart. Get out of the big city. Worrying about football in 5 years isn't even on the table

• Haha
Reactions: GillesDeleuze
Blah blah blah were're going into the biggest war in history - and its coming here - no TV wars. Lots of people wont be here in five years. Alas most Americans are worse then clueless about world events. Its ok to be ignorant but Americans are ignornat while thinking they are at head of the class. They believed Ukraine was winning which was not smart. Get out of the big city. Worrying about football in 5 years isn't even on the table

Think you should take it to the bunker over in CE...not the football board.

How did a thread about Coach Prime devolve into mention of wars? If I wanted to be depressed I would watch CNN!

And you’re underplaying the importance of winning. Remember how cool USC was under Carol. Stars everywhere, rappers, Hollywood and sports elite up And down the sideline. Then he left, and it fell apart, and nobody cared anymore. Colorado fans are not Nebraska fans. They have proven they will only support a quality product on the field. Quality goes down and they stop coming

A lot of "poor" places are awash in funds that do more for the bureacratic gangsters than the people.
When they cry "need more money!" they mean for them

<cough> <cough> Newark! <cough> <cough>

wins and losses are fine but not really the attraction. Look st combat sports (mma and boxing) for the new model. Athletes toe the line and take the tried and true path and aren't very well compensated while guys who are barely pro fight celebrities or each other for big ppv numbers. Some of the best fighters were never champions but sell an image fans relate to. Who gets the big endorsements? The guy with the social media following or the stoic fight for the love of the game type? Self promotion sells. Even if it is smoke and mirrors. We have 60 year Olds making more on ppv than real contenders. We have hot chick's with 500% records with large followings while female champions are largely unknown.

Its all about spectacle. Some won't ever buy into that and that's OK but claiming others, especially young people, will care most about wins and losses simply isn't true. Self promotion, image manzgememt and spectacle are very big now. Influencers carry more weight with that demographic than people with real world experience and success. It's all about how it is packaged.

I personally don't buy into the hype an
d consider myself a wins and loss guy too but I am well aware of the brand building going on in Colorado. It's certainly not insignificant. Additionally, most of their losses were in close games. It's pretty remarkable what Deon is doing even if I prefer a qb that doesn't try to sell merchandise at halftime. That is part of the spectacle tbough and that online engagement is part of what is driving the numbers tuning in.

Last edited:
And you’re underplaying the importance of winning. Remember how cool USC was under Carol. Stars everywhere, rappers, Hollywood and sports elite up And down the sideline. Then he left, and it fell apart, and nobody cared anymore. Colorado fans are not Nebraska fans. They have proven they will only support a quality product on the field. Quality goes down and they stop coming
Few fanbases are like Nebraska. Most of the notoriously "dedicated" fanbases have had years and decades of reliably competitive or great football to watch, as did Nebraska until recently. It's easy to be dedicated when you get to watch your team win a lot. Not many people want to spend money to watch years of beatings.

wins and losses are fine but not really the attraction. Look st combat sports (mma and boxing) for the new model. Athletes toe the line and take the tried and true path and aren't very well compensated while guys who are barely pro fight celebrities or each other for big ppv numbers. Some of the best fighters were never champions but sell an image fans relate to. Who gets the big endorsements? The guy with the social media following or the stoic fight for the love of the game type? Self promotion sells. Even if it is smoke and mirrors. We have 60 year Olds making more on ppv than real contenders. We have hot chick's with 500% records with large followings while female champions are largely unknown.

Its all about spectacle. Some won't ever buy into that and that's OK but claiming others, especially young people, will care most about wins and losses simply isn't true. Self promotion, image manzgememt and spectacle are very big now. Influencers carry more weight with that demographic than people with real world experience and success. It's all about how it is packaged.

I personally don't buy into the hype and consider myself a wins and loss guy myself but I am well aware of the brand building going on in Colorado. It's certainly not insignificant. Additionally, most of their losses were in close games. It's pretty remarkable what Deon is doing even if I prefer a qb that doesn't try to sell merchandise at halftime. That is part of the spectacle tbough and that online engagement is part of what is driving the numbers tuning in.

Don't think you can correlate boxing/MMA to football, particularly boxing as it died in the late 80's and 90's. But there is a degree of validity to your point. I see the word "influencer" and the hair on the back of my neck stands up. Though Dylan Mulvaney proves it sometimes backfires.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
Sanders was coaching while others were running the school. He knew that his name would be used to promote but he was only making around 200k he didn't need. The others were making 3x that and they had issues with regulations, bad accountants and banks etc. Regulators locked the schools finances and teacher/supplier checks bounced. The school was in a death spiral pretty quick and Sanders didn't cause that.

Things Sanders learned from that school contributed to him getting out of HBCUs
They are poorly managed and financed - even player health and training facilities are sketchy.
Over and over people in inner city and rural schools catering to "underserved" students tend to be low on skills but high on salary/budget shennangans.
Kids cant read but admins have chauffeurs.
There are a lot of no talent leeches in the poverty game

Sanders pumped that school up , got his cash and experience , moved on to better things after not caring about what was happening to the kids that went there because of him.
Sounds like Deion was one of those leeches

Sanders pumped that school up , got his cash and experience , moved on to better things after not caring about what was happening to the kids that went there because of him.
Sounds like Deion was one of those leeches
I am confused on the article and what it has to do with Sanders?

Fast money, long term consequences.

The sanders hire was an awful one because I assume this was a part of the plan all along.

What’s the culture there?

The university sold its soul to the guy and the ones I feel worst for are the CU fans like us.

Imagine having all people with zero connection to your school instantly drool over you and the second he leaves you’ll be kicked to the curb.

The whole thing is sad honestly, we all know how it’s going to end.

Fast money, long term consequences.

The sanders hire was an awful one because I assume this was a part of the plan all along.

What’s the culture there?

The university sold its soul to the guy and the ones I feel worst for are the CU fans like us.

Imagine having all people with zero connection to your school instantly drool over you and the second he leaves you’ll be kicked to the curb.

The whole thing is sad honestly, we all know how it’s going to end.
Yep- 80+ kids that went to Colorado because they chose to go there for the team and school were all "fired"
Bring in a ton of portal kids who came for Prime and potential NIL.
Interesting that it does not even look like a single recruit in this 2024 class from Colorado.

Yep- 80+ kids that went to Colorado because they chose to go there for the team and school were all "fired"
Bring in a ton of portal kids who came for Prime and potential NIL.
Interesting that it does not even look like a single recruit in this 2024 class from Colorado.
Is disgraceful honestly.

Can you imagine being a legacy kid who’s dream was to play at CU and being told to get lost in your junior year by a dude that wears a cowboy hat as a fashion statement?

The one good thing is that this model is going to prove to be unsuccessful, hopefully it’s the last time it happens

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT