ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Shine Is Off Coach Prime

Well, he was singling out reporters in the room. I expect they were Colorado beat writers. Can you imagine if Schinao came in and wholesale dumped the players? Don't you think writers who have developed relationships with players and their families would treat that rather poorly and doubt the braggart's claims?

I do think he acted like he proved them wrong. But it is a long season.. and they may yet be proven just as correct as Deion thinks he was. I have flip-flopped between doubt.. and then thinking Deion was saying the right things, teaching the right things, then to see his kids act poorly and him to act poorly in losses.. I dunno.

As I've posted before - Colorado admins wanted the nuclear make-over.
They were low on cash after ten years of bad football and three fired coaches (one black).
The football team that pays for other sports wasn't at Colorado.
The AD - a good one - was on thin ice because of football failures.
Colorado altered their overly strict transfer regs to allow large # of portal transfers
Colorado was in a bad place and Deion went there because he saw the AD really cared about his college when others didn't really.

I could not see GS dropping a lot of players, and I couldn't see him setting TV records, and getting millions of dollars into Piscataway, and out-of-state ($) applications up 40% and recuits banging down the door - all after one year. Nope cant see Greg doing that. Who would betting men say will win a NC first? Well there you are.

Wow!
You made so many statements that you believe are absolute truth that are still in the category of "let's wait and see" that I'm not going to even try to have a discussion.
I remember Ali very well and he was called all of that by his detractors. But comparing Ali, someone who was on the frontlines of the fight for social justice to Sanders is ridiculous. I don't think that Sanders would give up four "prime " years of his career for something that he believed in.
Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know the man personally.

or he's famous only in football circles and his prime time hype isn't as big as we believe outside of ESPN and other sports media sites
Well Barry Sanders was one of the correct answers along with Col. Sanders and Bernie Sanders at 1 and 2

I could not see GS dropping a lot of players, and I couldn't see him setting TV records, and getting millions of dollars into Piscataway, and out-of-state ($) applications up 40% and recuits banging down the door - all after one year. Nope cant see Greg doing that. Who would betting men say will win a NC first? Well there you are.

I don't think Rutgers would let Schiano, or any other coach for that matter, drop a lot of players. And they haven't placed a high priority on out of state applications.

I don't think Rutgers would let Schiano, or any other coach for that matter, drop a lot of players. And they haven't placed a high priority on out of state applications.
small time thinking there

it's a business, cut the dead weight

small time thinking there

it's a business, cut the dead weight
No. The Rutgers name should mean something even when it comes to convincing student-athletes to attend Rutgers. You don't throw that away for a coach to have a chance at a better turn-around than if you honored your word.

The very idea of honor seems to be dead or dying. Disgraceful.

No. The Rutgers name should mean something even when it comes to convincing student-athletes to attend Rutgers. You don't throw that away for a coach to have a chance at a better turn-around than if you honored your word.

Being at Colorado should mean something too - for a lot of players that stopped.
Part of Colorado's issue were players that had gone to seed.
The team was "full of junk and foolishness" as Sanders saId.
Think "sex, drugs rock-n-rap."
In the past, the university had had crime scandals the really took Buffs down the drain.

Encouraging some players to transfer was good for them too.
There are 1000s of people and businesses in a better place because Sanders cleaned-up an infection that wasn't responding to the standard and usual.
It was really a one time thing and he said its not something you do every year.
Lincoln Riley brought in 26 transfers when he took over USC.

Top level cfb is pro now and I dont like that but it does even out the the teams that play by the rules and the teams paying under the table.

Teams can still recruit freshman and devlop players but if a turnaround calls for a house claeaning that can happen. Players are employees and can walk away.

'It’s like free agency,' said Taylor Mays, a former U.S.C. safety who played for six seasons in the N.F.L..“It’s very N.F.L.-esque.”

Last edited:
Wow!
You made so many statements that you believe are absolute truth that are still in the category of "let's wait and see" that I'm not going to even try to have a discussion.
I remember Ali very well and he was called all of that by his detractors. But comparing Ali, someone who was on the frontlines of the fight for social justice to Sanders is ridiculous. I don't think that Sanders would give up four "prime " years of his career for something that he believed in.
Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know the man personally.

Different issues now.
There were still whole black families in Ali's day.
Now guys are more likley to grow-up with a "boyfriend" in the house than a father."
If someone follows Sanders on socials he's pretty much a minister more than a coach.
His personality change was real.
He did try suicide and he did clean-up and get rid of carousing, swearing, drinking etc.
He focused on being a father and encourages the same.
Sanders can do that even better than Ali could.

Well, he was singling out reporters in the room. I expect they were Colorado beat writers. Can you imagine if Schinao came in and wholesale dumped the players? Don't you think writers who have developed relationships with players and their families would treat that rather poorly and doubt the braggart's claims?

I do think he acted like he proved them wrong. But it is a long season.. and they may yet be proven just as correct as Deion thinks he was. I have flip-flopped between doubt.. and then thinking Deion was saying the right things, teaching the right things, then to see his kids act poorly and him to act poorly in losses.. I dunno.
Well, it didn't go over so well here when Ash came in and while he may not have "dumped" Floods players- he certainly made it clear they were not his guys.
Laviano, Martin, Hicks and a number of non skill position guys...

And us NJ people were pissed off even at that.

Different issues now.
There were still whole black families in Ali's day.
Now guys are more likley to grow-up with a "boyfriend" in the house than a father."
If someone follows Sanders on socials he's pretty much a minister more than a coach.
His personality change was real.
He did try suicide and he did clean-up and get rid of carousing, swearing, drinking etc.
He focused on being a father and encourages the same.
Sanders can do that even better than Ali could.

Be honest dude. If Rutgers played Colorado, you'd root for Deion right?

Reactions: TRU2RU
Being at Colorado should mean something too - for a lot of players that stopped.
Part of Colorado's issue were players that had gone to seed.
The team was "full of junk and foolishness" as Sanders saId.
Think "sex, drugs rock-n-rap."
In the past, the university had had crime scandals the really took Buffs down the drain.

Encouraging some players to transfer was good for them too.
There are 1000s of people and businesses in a better place because Sanders cleaned-up an infection that wasn't responding to the standard and usual.
It was really a one time thing and he said its not something you do every year.
Lincoln Riley brought in 26 transfers when he took over USC.

Top level cfb is pro now and I dont like that but it does even out the the teams that play by the rules and the teams paying under the table.

Teams can still recruit freshman and devlop players but if a turnaround calls for a house claeaning that can happen. Players are employees and can walk away.

'It’s like free agency,' said Taylor Mays, a former U.S.C. safety who played for six seasons in the N.F.L..“It’s very N.F.L.-esque.”

That's a lot of rationalization being used and being taken as gospel fact by you... in order to support your blanket support for Deion.

As I said.. when he was getting all the hype early season, especially after beating TCU.. he said all teh right things. But I found that what he said and how his own sons acted were two different things. His, and his supporters, deceptions of just how bad things were at Colorado just so happen to support his cleaning house in a way no school had ever done before... sorry.. too convenient and not buying a word of it.

So far he has only beaten the 0-4 ASU team and Colorado is 1-3 in-conference. He gets some credit for giving USC quite a scare. But Notre Dame thumped USC.

We'll see what happens. Either way, he has improved Colorado football.. and certainly improved their finances as far as I can tell. We'll see how many years he gets and see if he gets bored after his kids graduate. Maybe the AD needs to slip his wife some fertility meds.

Be honest dude. If Rutgers played Colorado, you'd root for Deion right?

No - I've been through that scene with Army and Ohio St.
I was born into Army fan family - went to my first game at 7 and was recruited by Army.
But that means Army was never a choice per se.
I was OSU fan in HS after a local RB got recruited there.
When RU plays Army I just watch like I had a brother on each team.
RU vs Ohio St I haven't even watched yet (this year will be first) but I want RU of course.
If Col was 10-0 and RU was 1-9 I would want Col,
If RU was good I would want RU.
Truth be told, I've been watching football so long and seen guys go to all NFL teams, and seen locals go to many CFB teams (Temple being #1 locally) that I'm not really a power rooter in sports.
CFB isn't CFB anymore

That's a lot of rationalization being used and being taken as gospel fact by you... in order to support your blanket support for Deion.

As I said.. when he was getting all the hype early season, especially after beating TCU.. he said all teh right things. But I found that what he said and how his own sons acted were two different things. His, and his supporters, deceptions of just how bad things were at Colorado just so happen to support his cleaning house in a way no school had ever done before... sorry.. too convenient and not buying a word of it.

So far he has only beaten the 0-4 ASU team and Colorado is 1-3 in-conference. He gets some credit for giving USC quite a scare. But Notre Dame thumped USC.

We'll see what happens. Either way, he has improved Colorado football.. and certainly improved their finances as far as I can tell. We'll see how many years he gets and see if he gets bored after his kids graduate. Maybe the AD needs to slip his wife some fertility meds.

You make a lot of assumptions from a distance.
I was critical of Deion a lot after GameDay and the celebgasm with Lil Wayne leading team to field.
I was critical of Deion for over-stoking his players for Nebby ("Its personal").
Before TCU he told players to forget TCU because it was their own they had to overcome.

Then for Nebby he got them all riled-up to "be men" and defend the home "crib."
It worked but players got carrried away with it and came into Colorado St too full of themselves.
His sons can be shown acting-up to opponents but the provocation that lead to those things is always left out.
Must be rememberedd that teams go at Colorado extra hard and want the scalp.
Rutgers hasn't had that since Marone at SU.

My opinion of Deion was formed way before getting colorado job.
I first realized what he was about watching Bear Grylls 9 years ago.

You make a lot of assumptions from a distance.
I was critical of Deion a lot after GameDay and the celebgasm with Lil Wayne leading team to field.
I was critical of Deion for over-stoking his players for Nebby ("Its personal").
Before TCU he told players to forget TCU because it was their own they had to overcome.

Then for Nebby he got them all riled-up to "be men" and defend the home "crib."
It worked but players got carrried away with it and came into Colorado St too full of themselves.
His sons can be shown acting-up to opponents but the provocation that lead to those things is always left out.
Must be rememberedd that teams go at Colorado extra hard and want the scalp.
Rutgers hasn't had that since Marone at SU.

My opinion of Deion was formed way before getting colorado job.
I first realized what he was about watching Bear Grylls 9 years ago.

Still would like to know the source of your "out of state applications are up 40%"
at Colorado.

Still would like to know the source of your "out of state applications are up 40%"
at Colorado.
  • Merchandise sales on Colorado’s online team store are up 1,220% year-over-year from the same period in 2022.
  • Out-of-state applications to the school are up 40%, according to Colorado chancellor Philip DiStefano.

• Merchandise sales on Colorado’s online team store are up 1,220% year-over-year from the same period in 2022.
  • Out-of-state applications to the school are up 40%, according to Colorado chancellor Philip DiStefano.
Thank you

Where's the Deion won at everything he ever did mantra currently (uh forgetting that school of course) that was repeated on a loop by a few----

Think he's been interesting to watch from afar but from sept to today perhaps there was a change for fans here and ADs as to who you would want for a coach GS or Deion--Yes location and circumstances matter but a change even in general.

Reactions: sct1111
Deion is doing fine, first year with some nice wins and moving the chain. No one should be cutting him down

Deion and his sons needed a taste of humble pie.
They did and got some.
But they dont quit reaching,
Deion himself could lose a leg or croak on any day.
He cant walk or stand long without pain and it shows on his sideline face sometimes
He rarely talks about his condition

Deion is doing fine, first year with some nice wins and moving the chain. No one should be cutting him down
cutting him down should be hard if you're talking about how he's making Colorado better and a a program that can get talent.
Asa a person, his self promoting egotistical nature is the reason many don't like him
and his son's entitled attitude makes rooting for Colorado hard for some..

Many feel he's a good christan and thar's why they support him, but others feel he can talk the talk with the best, but question if it's real or Memorex
As for his health problem we should wish him the best, just like we should wish every HC with health problems the best and hope none of them pass away like Mike Leach did
There are many college coaches that have heath issues we never hear about until they step away from the game because of health related issues.
Famous ones are in the public's eye so they get asked about their issues and everyone knows about it.
They don't need to bring it up, it's part of the conversation ( at times) when interviews are given

Read an interesting story about Prime's entrepreneurship.

When he played for Mike Shanahan he gave his young son Kyle a signed jersey.
Later on a guy offered Kyle $200 for the jersey but Kyle wouldn't sell it

"Next day at practice, Deion sees Kyle and points at him and, you know, kind of motions Kyle to come over to where he is. And in that voice he has when he's really asking a question, Deion goes, "Did I understand this right? Did I hear this right? Did you have some guy come up to you last night in that restaurant and offer you $200 for my jersey and you wouldn't sell it to him?" Kyle says he refused to sell it, and Deion looks at him and says, "I'm going to teach you some business. No. 1, I get these jerseys for free, all you had to do was sell it, come to me, get another one and I'll sign it." ... Deion just keeps going, says to Kyle, "Hey, you have to recognize business opportunities."

Colorado v UCLA is prime time game again and 10th sellout (and 67k Rose Bowl - UCLA's cap)

wYdTvmd.jpg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
OOS applications are up 40% is a bullshit statistic at this point. Early Action application deadline is November 15th. To what are they comparing...and when was this statement made. A comparative stat like that cannot be legitimate or accurate at this time (too early). With that said, I'm sure applications will be up this year. But they historically take a lot of OOS students...only a little over half are from Colorado, so this isn't going to help the school in a meaningful way. EDIT: I just read the article. Article is from October 6, so the statement was some time before that. Even more of a BS stat at that point in time.

OOS applications are up 40% is a bullshit statistic at this point. Early Action application deadline is November 15th. To what are they comparing...and when was this statement made. A comparative stat like that cannot be legitimate or accurate at this time (too early). With that said, I'm sure applications will be up this year. But they historically take a lot of OOS students...only a little over half are from Colorado, so this isn't going to help the school in a meaningful way. EDIT: I just read the article. Article is from October 6, so the statement was some time before that. Even more of a BS stat at that point in time.
I saw an article from 2019 that stated that Colorado's OOS students make up around 45% of the enrollment and they were pushing to get that even higher.

I saw an article from 2019 that stated that Colorado's OOS students make up around 45% of the enrollment and they were pushing to get that even higher.
It's a really high number of OOS. Highly rated schools like Georgia (and even Rutgers), for example, are mostly in-state. I think RU and GA are somewhere in the low 80's for in-state %.

It will be interesting to see if Colorado can win their 2 remaining winnable games. Or pull off a big upset in one of the others/ They need 2 wins to become bowl eligible.
If they get to the 6 wins- they will most likely keep a lot of the appeal. If they miss out- do you think the Colorado love continues into next year?

It will be interesting to see if Colorado can win their 2 remaining winnable games. Or pull off a big upset in one of the others/ They need 2 wins to become bowl eligible.
If they get to the 6 wins- they will most likely keep a lot of the appeal. If they miss out- do you think the Colorado love continues into next year?
It's a positive step in year 1 at 4 wins but a totally bitter ending if they can't snag a win or 2 more.

It's still the honeymoon phase and I think they can still get attention next year if they start out well or at least decent but if not then it might wear off. I don't know what their schedule is to start the year. Recruiting and whatever they may get in the portal has the potential to keep the excitement up too but no idea how well or not they're recruiting and it's too early for portal.

I agree…get to 6 and they can hype the bowl game and the progress they’ve made in a short time. But if they flop down the stretch it won’t be great. Momentum is important, even for loudmouths like the Colorado coach.

It's a really high number of OOS. Highly rated schools like Georgia (and even Rutgers), for example, are mostly in-state. I think RU and GA are somewhere in the low 80's for in-state %.

I'm sure the higher revenue from OOC students is a factor for CU.

Reactions: colbert17
I also don't think it should be looked at like a normal turnaround either. That usually happens when the majority of players were on that 1-11 team. This current team if filled with 3/4/5 star players with experience.

I also don't think it should be looked at like a normal turnaround either. That usually happens when the majority of players were on that 1-11 team. This current team if filled with 3/4/5 star players with experience.
disagree, dumping roster for new team or adding to the old roster
It's a turnaround because its the same program that went 1-11 the year before

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT