ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Shine Is Off Coach Prime

TPKQZTv.jpg

We know he gets viewers. I don’t think that is argued. Will be curious how it shakes out if he doesn’t finish strong. And even then, some will still tune in to see the wheels start to fall off.
The debate is if he is going to benefit them in the long run, will he be able to improve on this year, is he more about himself then the crap he spews about being a mentor and are his methods what you would want for your school or if you have a kid that was lucky enough to be this good, would you let him play for the guy..,

We know he gets viewers. I don’t think that is argued. Will be curious how it shakes out if he doesn’t finish strong. And even then, some will still tune in to see the wheels start to fall off.
The debate is if he is going to benefit them in the long run, will he be able to improve on this year, is he more about himself then the crap he spews about being a mentor and are his methods what you would want for your school or if you have a kid that was lucky enough to be this good, would you let him play for the guy..,
I posted the viewership standings in relation to the bowls (forgot that link for that).
Colorado is highly likly to get a bowl even with less wins.
A team with almost half of ten most watched games is highly desirable and CFB doesn't leave money on the table.

"Richard Sherman feels very confident about this prediction because there are so many eyes on Colorado coach Deion Sanders this season. If Colorado is bowl eligible, it'll most likely land massive TV ratings.

"They will go to a bowl game, and likely, will go to a bigger bowl game than their record should probably allow them to go," Sherman said. "Because bowl games are based on attendance, based on ratings, based on how much money can be made. Deion and this circus that Colorado has become with all the stars and media following them will draw a bigger bowl game."

Former coaches and player often remark how good a mentor he was (and how hard a worker). He was a teacher to the young players, and when any players were having problems Sanders was often the first to offer help, advice etc. Parents love the guy and many players are flocking to get over to Colorado. This years record is already better than many expected and isn't the end-all.

He just had to make a 200 lb safety an LB. As season went on, players strengths and weaknesses shook-out and coach wants Trevor Woods (smart) on the field more than other LBs. They might have some wrinkles worked out for last weeks

Fred Smoot, Washington cornerback: "Football is this dude's life. When I knew he was going into coaching, I said this will be dangerous. First, there's no household in America he can't walk in and he'll walk out with your son. As a player, who better to teach me what I've got to go through on the field, off the field, how to promote myself, how to do every niche of the game. No other coach can do that."

I posted the viewership standings in relation to the bowls (forgot that link for that).
Colorado is highly likly to get a bowl even with less wins.
A team with almost half of ten most watched games is highly desirable and CFB doesn't leave money on the table.

"Richard Sherman feels very confident about this prediction because there are so many eyes on Colorado coach Deion Sanders this season. If Colorado is bowl eligible, it'll most likely land massive TV ratings.

"They will go to a bowl game, and likely, will go to a bigger bowl game than their record should probably allow them to go," Sherman said. "Because bowl games are based on attendance, based on ratings, based on how much money can be made. Deion and this circus that Colorado has become with all the stars and media following them will draw a bigger bowl game."

Former coaches and player often remark how good a mentor he was (and how hard a worker). He was a teacher to the young players, and when any players were having problems Sanders was often the first to offer help, advice etc. Parents love the guy and many players are flocking to get over to Colorado. This years record is already better than many expected and isn't the end-all.

He just had to make a 200 lb safety an LB. As season went on, players strengths and weaknesses shook-out and coach wants Trevor Woods (smart) on the field more than other LBs. They might have some wrinkles worked out for last weeks

Fred Smoot, Washington cornerback: "Football is this dude's life. When I knew he was going into coaching, I said this will be dangerous. First, there's no household in America he can't walk in and he'll walk out with your son. As a player, who better to teach me what I've got to go through on the field, off the field, how to promote myself, how to do every niche of the game. No other coach can do that."

Colorado needs 6 wins. Under 6- they take it by APR …about 95% sure that is the rule. I’m thinking, 80 or so players transferring doesn’t help

Reactions: TRU2RU
Yep- 80+ kids that went to Colorado because they chose to go there for the team and school were all "fired"
Bring in a ton of portal kids who came for Prime and potential NIL.
Interesting that it does not even look like a single recruit in this 2024 class from Colorado.

Not sure I totally agree. I’d almost prefer to preserve their eligibility, let them land somewhere else, than string them along while the incoming coach starts their guys over them.

Not sure I totally agree. I’d almost prefer to preserve their eligibility, let them land somewhere else, than string them along while the incoming coach starts their guys over them.
absolutely

in addition to that, it's a business and you either contribute or move on so someone else can. That the nature of the game now

I like Prime. I do believe he's well intentioned and he really cares about his guys. One issue, though, is that his guys only make up about 20% of the team. I remember earlier in the year he was asked about his freshman center who had just started his first game. It was obvious Prime didn't even know who the reporter was asking about. If Prime really wants to win he better learn to value the guys up front and treat them the same way as he treats the skill guys.

I also think he's inconsistent with his messaging. When I hear him speak, he's great. He has the correct message most of the time. And, allowing your players to celebrate and dance -- have at it. But, the taunting of the crowd etc goes too far for me and it's inconsistent with Prime's other messages.

It's up to Prime to decide whether he wants to be a great coach or a sideshow. At this point, he has not proven to be a great coach -- not even close -- but he does move the needle.

Colorado needs 6 wins. Under 6- they take it by APR …about 95% sure that is the rule. I’m thinking, 80 or so players transferring doesn’t help
James Madison will get to be picked for a bowl before a 5 win Colorado program and you're probably right implyong is APR is involved there are programs with higher APRs than Colorado that will get the bowl invite before the Buff's chance comes up.
TV ratings are nice, but don't make for bowl bids when not qualified for one.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I saw a meme on Twitter that Coach Prime is the equivalent of Jeremy Lin and Linsanity.

I like Prime. I do believe he's well intentioned and he really cares about his guys. One issue, though, is that his guys only make up about 20% of the team. I remember earlier in the year he was asked about his freshman center who had just started his first game. It was obvious Prime didn't even know who the reporter was asking about. If Prime really wants to win he better learn to value the guys up front and treat them the same way as he treats the skill guys.

I also think he's inconsistent with his messaging. When I hear him speak, he's great. He has the correct message most of the time. And, allowing your players to celebrate and dance -- have at it. But, the taunting of the crowd etc goes too far for me and it's inconsistent with Prime's other messages.

It's up to Prime to decide whether he wants to be a great coach or a sideshow. At this point, he has not proven to be a great coach -- not even close -- but he does move the needle.

Shedeur, Travis Hunter, Shilo, Xavier Weaver (USF WR) Michael Harrison (TE) and a couple others are core and after that things drop off a lot after injuries (a 200lb saftey is playing LB). The OL might not make it in D3. The portal can have gems or coal when used en masse. Hunter can make NFL plays and then a back-up saftey is lost and WR runs right passed him for TD. Sander knows he needs 5-7 more horses.

The isssue I keep seeing is having Shedeur drop back over and over for long passes when OL cant block for diddley. The DL doesn't even worry about any run and just runs jailbreaks all night. The QB is getting killed. In 4th they started chipping instead of chucking and they ran ok and scored. There are good reasons Eli and OBJ ran slants most of the time.

Funny quote last night - bimbette asked Sanders about that silly quote they use "He is him." She said she saw it on Hunter's shirt. Sanders laughed and said 'but the OL isn't "them."

Shedeur, Travis Hunter, Shilo, Xavier Weaver (USF WR) Michael Harrison (TE) and a couple others are core and after that things drop off a lot after injuries (a 200lb saftey is playing LB). The OL might not make it in D3. The portal can have gems or coal when used en masse. Hunter can make NFL plays and then a back-up saftey is lost and WR runs right passed him for TD. Sander knows he needs 5-7 more horses.

The isssue I keep seeing is having Shedeur drop back over and over for long passes when OL cant block for diddley. The DL doesn't even worry about any run and just runs jailbreaks all night. The QB is getting killed. In 4th they started chipping instead of chucking and they ran ok and scored. There are good reasons Eli and OBJ ran slants most of the time.

Funny quote last night - bimbette asked Sanders about that silly quote they use "He is him." She said she saw it on Hunter's shirt. Sanders laughed and said 'but the OL isn't "them."
one of the things I noticed with the roster- which is a flaw with the games as well as the NIL perspective. NIL is usually going to go to the skill position guys and the DL. A rare OL may get it but they would need to be NFL ready guys. His entire OL this year is more of the 3 star guys who may be on the lower end of that ranking because of this. Meanwhile- NIL and Prime can bring in 4/5* skill guys.

Arizona is playing very well too.
Yes they are. They beat #11 Oregon St yesterday. They look better since redshirt freshman Fifita has taken over. WSU is probably a better shot at a win than Arizona. WSU has lost 4 in a row.

Utah Oregon St are physical teams and I can see them bully Colorado the same way UCLA did yesterday.

Arizona can be somewhat physical too.

6 will be tough. I think they have just as much chance to be pinned at 4 vs getting win 5.

James Madison will get to be picked for a bowl before a 5 win Colorado program and you're probably right implyong is APR is involved there are programs with higher APRs than Colorado that will get the bowl invite before the Buff's chance comes up.
TV ratings are nice, but don't make for bowl bids when not qualified for one.
Colorado's APR will be among the lowest for quite some time.

Colorado's APR will be among the lowest for quite some time.
Coach Prime is all about the kids.

Also coach Prime: "The big picture you go get new linemen"

Deion's kids are great role models:

Shiloh Sanders to Oregon: "I'll be at y'all and y'all coaches ass"

Maybe, maybe not. Transfers don't have to hurt APR. As long as they were on pace to graduate when they transferred it doesn't hurt APR much b
Think it's a mute point, transfers probably wouldn't make a real difference

T92 Colorado​

Latest APR (2021-2022): 959
Last Year’s APR Ranking: T109
APR (2020-2021): 954

Coach Prime is all about the kids.

Also coach Prime: "The big picture you go get new linemen"

Deion's kids are great role models:

Shiloh Sanders to Oregon: "I'll be at y'all and y'all coaches ass"
you're young and I'd surmise you never played competitive sports

this is not uncommon

Maybe, maybe not. Transfers don't have to hurt APR. As long as they were on pace to graduate when they transferred it doesn't hurt APR much b
you are right, you can game the portal to actually help your APR

you're young and I'd surmise you never played competitive sports

this is not uncommon
Hmm well I've won a highschool baseball state championship in the late 2000s. So maybe I'm not as young as you think 🤔

I've also played basketball pretty competitively. Never have had anyone threaten to "beat my and my coaches ass".

Definitely not anyone with any class.

Maybe, maybe not. Transfers don't have to hurt APR. As long as they were on pace to graduate when they transferred it doesn't hurt APR much

Historically APR scores are much better when you have guys stay with the program and actually graduate from the program....transfers typically were not a good thing. Booting most of your team is highly likely to have a negative impact.

one of the things I noticed with the roster- which is a flaw with the games as well as the NIL perspective. NIL is usually going to go to the skill position guys and the DL. A rare OL may get it but they would need to be NFL ready guys. His entire OL this year is more of the 3 star guys who may be on the lower end of that ranking because of this. Meanwhile- NIL and Prime can bring in 4/5* skill guys.

I'm not sure the NIL situation is devloped yet - not just for Buffs but for all teams.
NIL deals with companies are one thing, but there are also "collectives" forming to subsidize more players. I listened to Rick Pitino talk about the collective at St John's. Colorado also has a couple collectives and more players get money (they then have to do some community service and such to "earn" their subsidy). One collective is just for football

A problem for the Colorado collectives is that Sanders doesn't like them because they can become an external influence on players.

I think if Deion wants good OL he'll find a way to get some and get them rewarded. His OL is bad but coaches making things worse abandoning the run to throw every down. Sanders knows thats a problem and his kid is getting killed (needed a shot at halftime).

Persoanlly I'm tired of all football at every level sucking because most teams cant block anymore. I think the lack of live contact is a problem, zone blocking is a problem and pass happy offenses are a problem.

When OL runs blocks they are on attack and delivering the punishment. When OL pass blocks they are retreating backwards and absorbing punishment. With blitzes and juiced-up, supermen DLs coming at you on so many plays OL get beat-up more. Seems like every team is missing key starters.

"It's a struggle to run the ball, and we got to figure that out because now you're one-dimensional," Deion Sanders said. "And it's easy to stop a team when they're one-dimensional. That's who we are at this point in time."

https://b4lnilcollective.org/

Deion threw his offensive line under the bus so he wouldn't have to take the blame.
If he truly cared about all his players he'd support them in public diverting the blame of poor play onto himself and staff while privately letting the OL players how disappointed in their play and demanding much better from them.
Now the Buff's OL has been shamed by their HC with Coach Sanders refusing to support them and implying they aren't good enough to be on Colorado's roster next year..
There might not be an I in team, but Colorado has a HC that belives he's the I and the players are 0 when it comes to deserving repect for sucess , but are the x marks the spot when it comes to who takes the blame for failure

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
OL can’t pass protect so let’s call a bunch of pass plays. its All on the OL.
What we are seeing at Rutgers is something that should be noticed. At the end of last year- it could have been argued that not a single OL on our team should be a starter on a P5 team.
We all of a sudden get a competent OL coach(maybe great) and our line looks pretty good. At times, impressive. With the same players

What we are seeing at Rutgers is something that should be noticed. At the end of last year- it could have been argued that not a single OL on our team should be a starter on a P5 team.
We all of a sudden get a competent OL coach(maybe great) and our line looks pretty good. At times, impressive. With the same players
You mean coaching actually makes a differenc 😀

You mean coaching actually makes a differenc 😀
Also giving up on players seems like a bad coaching move and throwing them under the bus because you couldn't coach them up is a sign you're an egotistical person who willingly accepts the praise when your team is winning, but needs a scapegoat when the team starts losing.

Last edited:
Also giving up on players seems like a bad coaching move and throwing them under the bus because you couldn't coach them up is a sign you're an egotistical person who willingly accepts the praise when your team is winning, but needs a scapegoat when the team starts losing.
Deion “They don’t pay me to tackle” Sanders has always been about himself. In his playing days he hardly moved to defend against run plays.

Reactions: tomatocan
coach throws the OL under the bus. Must be motivating for the group. Also find it funny that he is taking moral victories.
Just saw this, not a good look for Sanders again. He's now throwing someone under the bus every week. I would not want to play for this guy if I was an Olineman. He'll praise his son and the skill players when they do good, but if things fall apart, he'll blame you. Screw this guy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT