ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Shine Is Off Coach Prime

Is disgraceful honestly.

Can you imagine being a legacy kid who’s dream was to play at CU and being told to get lost in your junior year by a dude that wears a cowboy hat as a fashion statement?

The one good thing is that this model is going to prove to be unsuccessful, hopefully it’s the last time it happens
And there are dolts on here that have no problem with this.

he has tripled their win total from last season and 3 of the 4 losses were by a touchdown or less. He has made them competitive in a year.

I don't even like Deon Sanders but I definitely am not seeing how he has been exposed or is doomed to fail.

Don't all coaches do this?
probably do, but most aren't made out to be saint like when a failing school is mentioned .
On this : The state charter for Prime Prep Academy, a school co-founded by Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders and derived from his "Prime Time" nickname
So he wasn't just a coach, he was invilved in starting the school and needs to be held responsible for its lack of educational value to the students that went there .
Especially the ones that went there because they trusted that Deion cared about making that school a good one.
Being a co founder probably helped him negotiate his $200,000 salary

Reactions: TheKnightclub
probably do, but most aren't made out to be saint like when a failing school is mentioned .
On this : The state charter for Prime Prep Academy, a school co-founded by Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders and derived from his "Prime Time" nickname
So he wasn't just a coach, he was invilved in starting the school and needs to be held responsible for its lack of educational value to the students that went there .
Especially the ones that went there because they trusted that Deion cared about making that school a good one.
Being a co founder probably helped him negotiate his $200,000 salary
Fair enough. It's not that he leaves. It is the way he carries himself. He isn't particularly genuine or accountable. Makes sense.

he has tripled their win total from last season and 3 of the 4 losses were by a touchdown or less. He has made them competitive in a year.

I don't even like Deon Sanders but I definitely am not seeing how he has been exposed or is doomed to fail.
This is the weirdest argument to me.

Why are we comparing this years CU team to last years? It’s a completely different team.

Like no crap they’ve won more games, they added a lot more talent…

If he added a couple pieces and had this type of start then yeah I would say it shows he was a great hire.

It’s a colossal failure if he doesn’t go bowling tbh

actually it's not his coaching or if Colorado will be a good program or not that is being exposed.
It's his treatment of players ( dumping many off the Colorado roster without caring about them just thinking wins will be easier without them) and his starting a charter school that kids went to because of his name, grabbing big bucks from that school and seemingly not caring if they received a proper education because he was making money and could use starting that school to boost his image.
His not being a saint , like some want him to look like, is being exposed and Sanders is being held responsible for what he did by some posting their thoughts about his actions.
As a coach, the jury should wait and see how next year unfolds .
As a person, his actions can't be overlooked just because he's a coach.

Prime's roster turnover method was sound. It's what you do when you inherit a losing team. Well within the rules.

Where he is losing the battle is over the control of the program. The same thing that puts them on national tv every week is the same thing that leading to losses like Stanford.

I won't say who but I know the father of a kid on the team. He said at halftime there were more rappers and hangers on than they were coaches and staff. Prime had to fight through people just to give his half time speech.

I'm big in running very open programs and having as much access as possible but half time? That's not going to work.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Took GS his first two years to get three wins - took five years to get above .500
In 5 years Buffs might have a NC.
I'm not sure many fans realize what a game changer the portal is.
I don't see GS using it to its max but Sanders will squeeze it like a ripe orange.
Colorado will be Florida North

I'm not sure he'll leave too quick.
He likes college and he owns Colorado
He thinks NFL is spolied slackers not to be bothered with
But hey pay him like Mahomes and who knows.

Shedeur is on track to get 9m in NIL.
Colorado NIL pay is double other places
Colorado doesnt even have to win every game.

"How do you win? By getting average players to play good and good players to play great. That's how you win."
Bum Philips

"I Love The Process"
Shedeur should MILK THE 🐄 DRY. Colleges make Millions of of these kids

This is the weirdest argument to me.

Why are we comparing this years CU team to last years? It’s a completely different team.

Like no crap they’ve won more games, they added a lot more talent…

If he added a couple pieces and had this type of start then yeah I would say it shows he was a great hire.

It’s a colossal failure if he doesn’t go bowling tbh
Sanders shouldn't be considered a clossal failure as a coach if the Buffs don't go bowling this year.
Last years terrible program must be part of that reason, even if many players were nudged out and replaced by player Deion brought in.
A magical turnaround from terrible to good shouldn't be expected, a better team is what should be expected in his first year building Colorado from 1-11 program into a good one.
The hype surrounding Colorado and Sander's style of self promotion is what makes people feel Colorado is a great team now.
The Buffs are a team in the process of trying to get better and from the looks of it they are on their way but not ready for being an assured bowl team now because of a lot of flaws still need fixing.
Sanders might succeed or he might fail at the P-5 level, but that shouldn't be judged this year..
I feel Sanders will be ab;le to get the talent, we'll see if he can make the most of them at this level of play and he should be judged after running the program for 3 years unless the 2nd is a total disaster

I'm not a fan of Deion the man, but that doesn't mean I think he'll fail as a HC

Few fanbases are like Nebraska. Most of the notoriously "dedicated" fanbases have had years and decades of reliably competitive or great football to watch, as did Nebraska until recently. It's easy to be dedicated when you get to watch your team win a lot. Not many people want to spend money to watch years of beatings.
I understand that. The point of my post is just like at USC, if you don’t win the stars don’t come because there is no hype

Are you really trying to give credit for losing by less than a TD to a 1 win team? I give him credit for recruiting his son to go with him.

Sanders shouldn't be considered a clossal failure as a coach if the Buffs don't go bowling this year.
Last years terrible program must be part of that reason, even if many players were nudged out and replaced by player Deion brought in.
A magical turnaround from terrible to good shouldn't be expected, a better team is what should be expected in his first year building Colorado from 1-11 program into a good one.
The hype surrounding Colorado and Sander's style of self promotion is what makes people feel Colorado is a great team now.
The Buffs are a team in the process of trying to get better and from the looks of it they are on their way but not ready for being an assured bowl team now because of a lot of flaws still need fixing.
Sanders might succeed or he might fail at the P-5 level, but that shouldn't be judged this year..
I feel Sanders will be ab;le to get the talent, we'll see if he can make the most of them at this level of play and he should be judged after running the program for 3 years unless the 2nd is a total disaster

I'm not a fan of Deion the man, but that doesn't mean I think he'll fail as a HC
But they aren’t rebuilding, that’s the point. They have been REBUILT.

This isn’t a scenario like Schiano took over where the talent pool was small and he’s slowly building depth.

This is a scenario where he told everyone to go somewhere else because he’s bringing in HIS guys.

The reality is they’re bad at defense and they’re bad up front. That’s not an issue left over from last year, it’s HIS issue.

People are using logic of a normal rebuild for a situation that isn’t a normal rebuild.

His expectation level should 100% be to go bowling, ESPECIALLY for all the talk.

Put up or shut up.

Reactions: rurichdog
Prime's roster turnover method was sound. It's what you do when you inherit a losing team. Well within the rules.
Where he is losing the battle is over the control of the program. The same thing that puts them on national tv every week is the same thing that leading to losses like Stanford.
I won't say who but I know the father of a kid on the team. He said at halftime there were more rappers and hangers on than they were coaches and staff. Prime had to fight through people just to give his half time speech.
I'm big in running very open programs and having as much access as possible but half time? That's not going to work.
Wait, you are cool with kicking incumbent, collegiate student/athletes to the curb but you aren't ok with a locker room packed with rappers???

Jon Stewart Reaction GIF

I find it interesting that the title of this thread has been allowed on this board . Very perplexing in this day and age. Like really ? Do better moderators

Sanders has done a good job there. He has made them relevant. But that was a bad loss

I think the thing is.. when he beat TCU he acted like.. that's that.. we have arrived.. I told you so. Also.. I think guys that are such chest-thumpers have a real problem handling disappointment and failures. Some could argue that's why he threw players under the bus (not me, I didn't find what he said all that bad.. it could just be a case of the spotlight as a coach not being handled well.. being TOO honest.. but I could see people making that argument that he threw his kids under the bus to avoid blame).

I find it interesting that the title of this thread has been allowed on this board . Very perplexing in this day and age. Like really ? Do better moderators

Sanders has done a good job there. He has made them relevant. But that was a bad loss
Sanders the HC deserves praise, but as a caring man he might not be as good as advertised if being nice doesn't result in wins.
Deion has made Colorado the talk of the college football game and has made it a better program.
His ability to recruit based on his personality and self promotion makes me feel Colorado will became a winner, but not the overnight success his fans think it will be.
If the winning starts the program will get even more HS and portal talent looking Colorado's way because the old saying is true:
"Win and they will come."

The talk of the 4* QB to Colorado bringing up Sanders again.

Wonder how much shine there is to a 4-3/1-3 team that has mult 4* and 5 * players lining up everywhere, both sides of the ball.

I would argue this was not a total rebuild. With that said, they did get crushed in almost every game last year. Below is their record for the past 7 years

2017: 5-7
2018: 5-7
2019: 5-7
2020: 4-2 (Covid)
2021: 4-8
2022: 1-11
2023: 4-3 (beat 4-4 TCU, 4-3 Nebraska and 1-6 AZ St)

As a good reference below is the 7 years before Schiano 2.0:

2013: 6-7
2014: 8-5
2015: 4-8
2016: 2-10 (0-9 in BIG)
2017: 4-8 (3-6 in BIG)
2018: 1-11 (0-9 in BIG)
2019: 2-10 (0-9 in BIG)

Just writing this makes me so mad at Coach Ash.

I would argue this was not a total rebuild. With that said, they did get crushed in almost every game last year. Below is their record for the past 7 years

2017: 5-7
2018: 5-7
2019: 5-7
2020: 4-2 (Covid)
2021: 4-8
2022: 1-11
2023: 4-3 (beat 4-4 TCU, 4-3 Nebraska and 1-6 AZ St)

As a good reference below is the 7 years before Schiano 2.0:

2013: 6-7
2014: 8-5
2015: 4-8
2016: 2-10 (0-9 in BIG)
2017: 4-8 (3-6 in BIG)
2018: 1-11 (0-9 in BIG)
2019: 2-10 (0-9 in BIG)

Just writing this makes me so mad at Coach Ash.
Sanders is doing a good job there in his first year. It’s a total rebuild

Ash got us smashed.

Reactions: ashokan
Sanders is doing a good job there in his first year. It’s a total rebuild

Ash got us smashed.
A total rebuild he is starting with experienced 3/4/5 star players.

Greg started his rebuild with 2/3 star players. A bit of a difference

Why was sanders starting with 3/4/5 stars ? The previous coach recruited well?

About 90% of the previous coach's recruits were told to go elsewhere. But I don't think Sanders brought in many 4 stars on the lines, and certainly no 5 stars at those positions.

About 90% of the previous coach's recruits were told to go elsewhere. But I don't think Sanders brought in many 4 stars on the lines, and certainly no 5 stars at those positions.
So sanders owns that …
I mean from a a downtrodden 1-11 program , they are on the upswing . Definitely interesting to watch

Interesting enough- the OL is mostly 3 star- I do not believe they have a 4 star on it. But that is the only position group except for TE that does not have at least 1 4 star player.
QB - 1 4*
RB - 2 4*
WR - 1 5* 2 4*
OL- 3*'s
DL - 1 4* remainder 3*
CB - 2 4*
LB - 1 5* 3 4*
S - 1 4*

They have 4 wins and may be difficult to get one more- Arz their best bet. But very good chance of no bowl
And the group above, should be much better then that. More so- when you have your star player as the QB

Was watching Family Feud episode - for the question name a famous (real or fictional) Sanders. Prime Time was not among top 5 responses. Assume it was a rerun taped before he became CO coach

Was watching Family Feud episode - for the question name a famous (real or fictional) Sanders. Prime Time was not among top 5 responses. Assume it was a rerun taped before he became CO coach
or he's famous only in football circles and his prime time hype isn't as big as we believe outside of ESPN and other sports media sites

I think the thing is.. when he beat TCU he acted like.. that's that.. we have arrived.. I told you so.

I don't think Sanders was bragging that the team "arrived."
It was more that there were media etc prediciting TCU was going to pop the Sanders/Colorado balloon.
More than a few looked at Colorado and saw a bad joke being played
It wasn't uncommon for critics to throw shade at the HBCU experience and the lack of a "P5" resume.
Shedeur's good stats were seen as not possible in P5.
That was funny since there are so many bad and medicocre P5 teams and Prime saw that.
So when Buffs went out with a scrambled-egg portal team and beat #17 Prime was going to rub it in on the critics

He was a DB and retired in 2000 and 2005 (Ray Lewis urged him out of retirement for a couple years 04-05).
A lot of people wont remember a DB despite HOF.
I doubt a lot of Family Feud people remember Bo Jackson anymore either

The talk of the 4* QB to Colorado bringing up Sanders again.

Wonder how much shine there is to a 4-3/1-3 team that has mult 4* and 5 * players lining up everywhere, both sides of the ball.

Antwan Hill.

I was surprised to see a Rutgers' offer from May because I never see RU offers to players heavily recruited by SEC.
Kid took 5 visits to GA and none to Colorado.
He's 6'4 Jr with 6000+ yds and 71 TDs in GA ball.
He throws far but a little soft like Wimsatt but he's got a couple years of HS to go

“What led me there is, first, their communication. They always communicated with me since the time 12:00 a.m. hit that morning on Aug. 1. To sum it up I can tell they really care about me and want me to take over the program when Shedeur leaves. So whenever Coach Prime said that, I knew he was being 100% honest with me and I knew I would be a fool not take this opportunity that Coach Prime had provided me with.”

Don't know what this board's obsession is with Sanders. I understand that he's a story in college football but we don't play Colorado now nor do we play them in the future.
Personally I never was a fan of his as a player and I think that he looks like a joke when he shows up with his sunglasses, ball cap and hoodie pulled up for press conferences.
I realize that I'm very old school but that's the way I feel.

Don't know what this board's obsession is with Sanders. I understand that he's a story in college football but we don't play Colorado now nor do we play them in the future.
Personally I never was a fan of his as a player and I think that he looks like a joke when he shows up with his sunglasses, ball cap and hoodie pulled up for press conferences.
give this man a ceeeeegar

I don't think Sanders was bragging that the team "arrived."
It was more that there were media etc prediciting TCU was going to pop the Sanders/Colorado balloon.
More than a few looked at Colorado and saw a bad joke being played
It wasn't uncommon for critics to throw shade at the HBCU experience and the lack of a "P5" resume.
Shedeur's good stats were seen as not possible in P5.
That was funny since there are so many bad and medicocre P5 teams and Prime saw that.
So when Buffs went out with a scrambled-egg portal team and beat #17 Prime was going to rub it in on the critics
Well, he was singling out reporters in the room. I expect they were Colorado beat writers. Can you imagine if Schinao came in and wholesale dumped the players? Don't you think writers who have developed relationships with players and their families would treat that rather poorly and doubt the braggart's claims?

I do think he acted like he proved them wrong. But it is a long season.. and they may yet be proven just as correct as Deion thinks he was. I have flip-flopped between doubt.. and then thinking Deion was saying the right things, teaching the right things, then to see his kids act poorly and him to act poorly in losses.. I dunno.

A test of people's character
exactly.. he said all teh right things about doing things the right way... but the pressure put on him with the losses just might have revealed it that was more talk than anything else. And since it was infectious to see his improbably early success.. it was easy to get caught up in the story. Jury is still out with me.. but I think he may end up being like so many superstar athletes who wanted to be coaches... just cannot relate to the performance of mere mortals and manage that to maximize it.

You wont play Colorado directly but top P5 teams will play in the landscape Deion staked-out. The portal dynamics and money bomb part is obvious but now there are the cultural and social aspects. Most coaches are boring, most sports media is boring. Every year the same boring coaches get recycled from one job to another.

The bimbos ask the same boring questions and players/coaches give the same boring answers. Where are the Alis, the Namaths, the Tysons, the Maddens, the Merediths, the Cosells, the Gehrigs, the Al Davis rebels? Most everybody is bland and corporate. When someone does break the mode they are often toxic. American men on the whole are like dead from the neck up.

Sanders is a throw-back. He's confident, brash and doing things his way but still based on serious convictions (most people don't have any anymore) on one hand but still have fun and playing the room. He's positive despite living on death's door. Culturally he's also a father figure type in a way that only a football coach can do. That's a reason he attracts some of the best players who are also among the best people, Most good people want someone stronger than them to show them something real and a way to be better. That sort of thing is not only dead in America its attacked.

Anyone old enough to remember Ali knows he was attacked as a big mouth, a trouble maker, a selfish so and so. Ali would be on the sidelines at Colorado and not just because of X/Os

ayKnno5.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT