ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Shine Is Off Coach Prime

no you come on

the entire fbs is watching, tuning in, caring about what happens to CU. Recruits are lining up to go there, he's got so much press that it's undeniable

that doesn't include the on field product

he's winning, it's not even close and to suggest otherwise is folly
He would bolt from RU in a heartbeat. And his success is entirely built on transfers. Not built to last.
It would be fun for a year then we'd be looking for a new coach - again. And have an unstable program with lots of kids probably transferring again.

he will be lucky to win one more this year...And guess what- the whole world and recruits will be watching his disaster.

maybe they will also notice- after a loss, his players are cannon fodder for the press.
maybe maybe not but no one here would not want the positive press he's had or Colorado has enjoyed. To suggest otherwise would be utterly ridiculous.

this is the real world and in the real world, he's still winning. He's still on the lips of everyone

He would bolt from RU in a heartbeat. And his success is entirely built on transfers. Not built to last.
It would be fun for a year then we'd be looking for a new coach - again. And have an unstable program with lots of kids probably transferring again.

DS likes trransfers over HS recruits - players come in physically devloped and knowing the game.
Right now DS doesn't have to go out and recruit - the players come to DS and there are a lot of them.
SEC is a house on fire and losing players to portal
Parents love Deion and aside from the intentional hype he's a father figure for kids who never had that.
People underestimate that

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
maybe maybe not but no one here would not want the positive press he's had or Colorado has enjoyed. To suggest otherwise would be utterly ridiculous.

this is the real world and in the real world, he's still winning. He's still on the lips of everyone
But the attention is starting to go downhill very fast- SNL just started to roast the hell out of him- and not in a good way.

And our resident RU and Greg haters will lionize him and put him up there with Bear Bryant.
I would much rather win next week and have the different sports outlets talking about Greg bringing us to Bowl games after a long rebuild then have a HC who gets rid of every player on the team, wins a couple of games and gets on national news talking how he loves to mentor kids and as soon as they lose- he throws their asses under the bus. Now roasted on SNL

I would much rather win next week and have the different sports outlets talking about Greg bringing us to Bowl games after a long rebuild then have a HC who gets rid of every player on the team, wins a couple of games and gets on national news talking how he loves to mentor kids and as soon as they lose- he throws their asses under the bus. Now roasted on SNL
I'm not following all that, and because you seem to be seeing more than I have seen, I'm not sour on Deion. He is unique, and he definitely as a different way of doing things. But my main question is it built to last, or a flash in the pan the cooks up the flavor of the week. More likely than not, it will be the latter. For some fans, that fleeting excitement and creating visibility is more important than building something that will last for years. To each their own, but no need for our own supposed fans to continually cast stones at Schiano by way of using Deion as some paragon of coaching greatness.

I'm not following all that, and because you seem to be seeing more than I have seen, I'm not sour on Deion. He is unique, and he definitely as a different way of doing things. But my main question is it built to last, or a flash in the pan the cooks up the flavor of the week. More likely than not, it will be the latter. For some fans, that fleeting excitement and creating visibility is more important than building something that will last for years. To each their own, but no need for our own supposed fans to continually cast stones at Schiano by way of using Deion as some paragon of coaching greatness.
If you saw his last press conference he blamed everyone but himself. Especially his players. It was not a good look.

Last edited:
If you saw his last press conference he blamed everyone but himself. Especially his players. It was not a good look.
Just watched it (cued up)- he soft-pedaled the coaching issues right after throwing his DBs under the bus, throwing his player on the bus for not getting off the field fast enough; he took blame for the penalties, but then back to some of the players not built for the moment:

Just watched it (cued up)- he soft-pedaled the coaching issues right after throwing his DBs under the bus, throwing his player on the bus for not getting off the field fast enough; he took blame for the penalties, but then back to some of the players not built for the moment:

That was all good.
Travis Hunter made some bad plays/decisions and the secondary was a problem on some key plays
That's understandable having missed a month
A secret to coach is that his players believe him when he positive and/or complimentary because if they do something wrong/bad he'll say so.
Coach doesn't have a toxic spirit when he criticizes so players dont feel abused etc.
He'll also blame himself as he did.
Coach teaches that they things that go wrong lead tomore things dont right when corrected.
He 'loves the process" and mistakes are part of that.
The critics are more hung-up on the W/Ls than he is.

"I Love The Process"

Well, certainly yours.

Reactions: TRU2RU
This is what I figured would happen. It often happens with star athletes who become coaches. Having said that, Sanders did sound like was doing everything the right way leading up to this season.. at least he said a lot of "right" things about responsibility and character and so on.

Every season ticket for the entire 2023 season was sold out before the home opener at CU. Doesn’t revenue to the school matter?
We sell out every game from what I read…

But the reality- he sold it out. He got spotlight. He sold his soul for it.
And he may end up with a 4 win season and tge tires all fall off. Will that be sustainable? Or in 3 years, they are a disaster again?

That was all good.
Travis Hunter made some bad plays/decisions and the secondary was a problem on some key plays
That's understandable having missed a month
A secret to coach is that his players believe him when he positive and/or complimentary because if they do something wrong/bad he'll say so.
Coach doesn't have a toxic spirit when he criticizes so players dont feel abused etc.
He'll also blame himself as he did.
Coach teaches that they things that go wrong lead tomore things dont right when corrected.
He 'loves the process" and mistakes are part of that.
The critics are more hung-up on the W/Ls than he is.

"I Love The Process"

I thought the coaching staff ran practices under the guidance of the Guess before going into the games the Buffs won that's the case.
After losses it's the players fault because they ran the practice sessions without the coaches or HC around to make sure they practiced the right way.
Shouldn't practice be stopped when the need to teach the players the right way by the position coaches becomes apparent??
The HC needs to be in top of that to make sure every pratice counts

Guess at the bus stop Sanders and his assistants have umbrellas after a loss
The players go under the bus.
Wins bring out how great the coaching was and no one gets blamed for a poor practice

Doug Samuels 🏈 on X: "Coach Prime's assistants call out players: "Some of you have the most horrific practice habits I've ever seen."

That wasn't as bad as others have characterized. The hood and hat pulled down.. like teh sunglasses (which might be for bright light issues).. it seems like he is trying to hide.. to detach himself from the situation. But he is being asked hard questions and answering them. It is not as bad a case of throwing players under the bus.. imo.

Reactions: Westcoast
I thought the coaching staff ran practices under the guidance of the Guess before going into the games the Buffs won that's the case.
After losses it's the players fault because they ran the practice sessions without the coaches or HC around to make sure they practiced the right way.
Shouldn't practice be stopped when the need to teach the players the right way by the position coaches becomes apparent??
The HC needs to be in top of that to make sure every pratice counts

Guess at the bus stop Sanders and his assistants have umbrellas after a loss
The players go under the bus.
Wins bring out how great the coaching was and no one gets blamed for a poor practice

Doug Samuels 🏈 on X: "Coach Prime's assistants call out players: "Some of you have the most horrific practice habits I've ever seen."
One of the things with Prime- I don't think he ever thought he needed practice either-

He was one of the most athletically gifted(and yes, he worked at it) people in sports in history. I don't think he understands failure. That is why he replaced an entire team instead of try to coach them up.

That wasn't as bad as others have characterized. The hood and hat pulled down.. like teh sunglasses (which might be for bright light issues).. it seems like he is trying to hide.. to detach himself from the situation. But he is being asked hard questions and answering them. It is not as bad a case of throwing players under the bus.. imo.
I agree. Not bad as bad as I had expected from the reviews. As with any cult of personality (not implying Deion is running a cult), such a person will engender a lot of negative reaction and criticism, often fully of misinformation, disinformation and slanted views to help people frame their dislike of the person and/or their style. This happens quite a bit with visible people with unconventional styles. Elon Musk comes to mind as another example.

Don't have a problem at all with the hood and the hat. He was lying low, and he answered every question directly. Some of it was a little harsh on the players and light on the coaches though. I'm still fairly neutral on Deion.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
One of the things with Prime- I don't think he ever thought he needed practice either-

He was one of the most athletically gifted(and yes, he worked at it) people in sports in history. I don't think he understands failure. That is why he replaced an entire team instead of try to coach them up.
Didn't work too hard on his tackleing

A lot of people talk about Sanders being for his players and a father figure that they never had. Wasn't he involved in some shady prep school that he started in Texas (Prime Time Academy) that shut down and left hundreds of kids in the lurch?

A lot of people talk about Sanders being for his players and a father figure that they never had. Wasn't he involved in some shady prep school that he started in Texas (Prime Time Academy) that shut down and left hundreds of kids in the lurch?

Sanders was coaching while others were running the school. He knew that his name would be used to promote but he was only making around 200k he didn't need. The others were making 3x that and they had issues with regulations, bad accountants and banks etc. Regulators locked the schools finances and teacher/supplier checks bounced. The school was in a death spiral pretty quick and Sanders didn't cause that.

Things Sanders learned from that school contributed to him getting out of HBCUs
They are poorly managed and financed - even player health and training facilities are sketchy.
Over and over people in inner city and rural schools catering to "underserved" students tend to be low on skills but high on salary/budget shennangans.
Kids cant read but admins have chauffeurs.
There are a lot of no talent leeches in the poverty game

Last edited:
Sanders was coaching while others were running the school. He knew that his name would be used to promote but he was only making around 200k he didn't need. The others were making 3x that and they had issues with regulations, bad accountants and banks etc. Regulators locked the schools finaces and teacher/supplier checks bounced. The school was in a death spiral pretty quick and Sanders didn't cause that.

They are poorly managed and financed - even player health and training facilities are sketchy.
Over and over people in inner city and rural schools catering to "underserved" students tend to be low on skills but high on salary/budget shennangans.

OK thanks?

Sanders was coaching while others were running the school. He knew that his name would be used to promote but he was only making around 200k he didn't need. The others were making 3x that and they had issues with regulations, bad accountants and banks etc. Regulators locked the schools finaces and teacher/supplier checks bounced. The school was in a death spiral pretty quick and Sanders didn't cause that.

200k to coach a relatively small charter school team?

200k to coach a relatively small charter school team?

Its a pretty lame figure if you're a guy with 7 figure Nike deals and estimated 45 million bank.
Deion didn't need 200k and said so
Others were using his name and Sanders had to do promotional/outreach stuff.
For all I know he used the money to buy kids food and gear (did it in the past).
He had some issues with Nike because they didn't send him gear for the kids.

If he was coaching the same 85 guys sure. But he isn’t. He’s coaching 85 new kids. The past has zero relevance
Recruiting and personnel management is the single most important responsibility of a p5 college head coach lol

Disagree? Go talk to Urban Meyer.

If he was coaching the same 85 guys sure. But he isn’t. He’s coaching 85 new kids. The past has zero relevance
I agree
These are his hired kids...Could you imagine a coach coming into Rutgers or 95% of any college team and just firing every player. I thought that was the most F-ed up thing I ever saw in the first place. Forget NIL- the fact this was allowed to happen should just shut down the NCAA.
But, he does not get to use anything about previous, when he does this.
He also throws kids in front of the bus aimed at him.
Coach Prime will not be here after his son is done or he will go on a 1/1 deal to transfer/head coach.

I don't think he gives a damn about any kid on any team he is coaching unless that kid helps him or his son/s.

I agree
These are his hired kids...Could you imagine a coach coming into Rutgers or 95% of any college team and just firing every player. I thought that was the most F-ed up thing I ever saw in the first place. Forget NIL- the fact this was allowed to happen should just shut down the NCAA.
Coach Prime will not be here after his son is done or he will go on a 1/1 deal to transfer/head coach.

I don't think he gives a damn about any kid on any team he is coaching unless that kid helps him or his son/s.

I can only imagine how the Star Ledger would have covered that.

Its a pretty lame figure if you're a guy with 7 figure Nike deals and estimated 45 million bank.
For all I know he used the money to buy kids food and gear (did it in the past).

Wasn't lame for the school.

When this is happening you need to do your due diligence about what you're getting involved with. I saw an article that the school wasn't even accredited so a lot of the kids who went there didn't get academic credit for their classes.

I agree

You're creating a cartoon that didn't exist.

Colorado admins WANTED a new team because they were going broke and AD was on his way out after firing three other coaches in ten years. Unlike many universities, Colorado's big time football wasn't paying bills for other sports. Colorado wanted a big change fast because they needed one. Col had few fans, low ticket sales - it was a moribund program. They didn't have time for a slow GS style five year rebuild.

They changed their transfer rules that were blocking portal players. Deion wasn't twisting arms. USC had also made use of portal to make big change. This is how its going to be in P5 now. Players can walk and colleges can wave "bye." Universities want every dollar from conferences and coaches wanted millions. So the players taking the hits wanted on the bandwagon. Think Monangai wont be getting offers? RU better get in gear

When this is happening you need to do your due diligence about what you're getting involved with. I saw an article that the school wasn't even accredited so a lot of the kids who went there didn't get academic credit for their classes.
The new school wasn't even getting off the ground.
Can't do "due dilliegence" on a new thing - its a dice role no matter what
Did you see Bill Di Blasio's wife lose a billion?
The "idealists" with lofty goals can be the worst grifters
The "rescue" schools and programs etc are full of grifters and dopes and Deion ran into them
I ran into them myself doing community stuff
There are reasons why so many things have been bad for decades and never get better despite helicopter cash

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
The new school wasn't even getting off the ground.
Can't do "due dilliegence" on a new thing - its a dice role no matter what
Did you see Bill Di Blasio's wife lose a billion?
The "idealists" with lofty goals can be the worst grifters
The "rescue" schools and programs etc are full of grifters and dopes and Deion ran into them
I ran into them myself doing community stuff
There are reasons why so many things have been bad for decades and never get better despite helicopter cash

200k to coach a school that size should raise eyebrows by itself

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT