ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trenton Keeps Major League Baseball Association

Yep, but having lived in that area during that time, I am just not comfortable walking around and spending time on that particular piece of land.

If its truely a problem, it will be an issue for people who live, work or spend a significant amout of time there. Would not expect that fans going to a ballgame several times a year for 2-3 hours are the future cancer targets.

Not true.
When they were a Red Sox affiliate they had great attendance numbers.
From Wikipedia:

In 2006, the Thunder became the first team in Minor League Baseball history to draw over 400,000 fans for 12 consecutive seasons, at the Double-A level or below.

The first 8 seasons of this streak they were a Red Sox team.

Sorry forgot about The Sox!

Reactions: colbert17
Sounds like this is getting ugly—

Let's pretend he is right (he isn't) does the owner honestly think spouting off to the media like this is going to help chances of getting another affiliated club? Never the best look to trash your former 'employer' publicly especially when your chances of another affiliation rests on 1 of 30 of that employer's colleagues engaging you.

Agree 83 about that. My Dad always told me, no matter how much you hate a job, don’t burn the bridge because you never know what might happen in 3,5,10 years. Only one time did I ignore that when I left a job since it was so terrible that I knew I would rather spend my life saying large fries or small ? than work there again.

Reactions: goru1869
Sounds like this is getting ugly—

Sour grapes!! Teams lose their affiliations all the time.

The Columbia Fireflies lost their affiliation with the Mets. Yet they put out a classy statement yesterday. Unlike the classless Thunder owner.

You do realize that TD Bank Ballpark was built on the old American Cyanamid Co. Superfund site. Just remember that when you and your kids develop cancer 20 years from now. I love minor league baseball and attend Trenton games, but I grew up around that area and I refuse to step foot in that stadium. I wonder what the cancer rate is for all those people that commute from that NJ Transit station.
ok

Reactions: goru1869
Sour grapes!! Teams lose their affiliations all the time.

The Columbia Fireflies lost their affiliation with the Mets. Yet they put out a classy statement yesterday. Unlike the classless Thunder owner.

In fairness it seems columbia has another affiliation lined up while it does not seem trenton does. Lot easier to be gracious when you have a landing spot.

I'd bet this might end up being a Rays affiliate replacing Hudson Valley who the Yanks took over.

My sister lives in Toms River, my younger brother lives in Point Pleasant Boro. I grew up in Lavallette. No one is supporting the Blue Claws because they are Phillies fans. They go because it is a cheap night out with family and possibly seeing a future major leaguer. And neither of them gets Phillies games. They get Philly local channels but no Philly Comcast channels.
Disagree..You have plenty of towns in Ocean county that folks grew up on watching Philly games..Jackson, Lakewood, Toms RIver, Bayville, Manchester and a few others. To say none of their fans are supporting them because they are affiliated with Philadelphia is wrong.

I live close enough to TD Bank,so that I can hear their fireworks, but always preferred going to Trenton, due to the caliber of the game itself. Plus it is nice to see players that will make the Majors, including players from visiting teams.

Reactions: tico brown
Disagree..You have plenty of towns in Ocean county that folks grew up on watching Philly games..Jackson, Lakewood, Toms RIver, Bayville, Manchester and a few others. To say none of their fans are supporting them because they are affiliated with Philadelphia is wrong.
But he may be right now as few games are on regular broadcast channels now. ANd don't make it sound like ONLY the Phillies had fans in those places. It was quite a mix of fans with all the north jersey transplants.

Last edited:
I live close enough to TD Bank,so that I can hear their fireworks, but always preferred going to Trenton, due to the caliber of the game itself. Plus it is nice to see players that will make the Majors, including players from visiting teams.
Which is why Newark, Camden, Atlantic City no longer exist and Trenton may fall into that category if no other MLB moves in.

Reactions: JDNB
Which is why Newark, Camden, Atlantic City no longer exist and Trenton may fall into that category if no other MLB moves in.

Well Somerset has found a way to make it work independently as well as other teams in the Atlantic league. So it is possible without a MLB team. Trenton just has to figure it out.

The one thing that Trenton has in it's favor compared to AC, Camden, etc. is that there already is a fan base. They have a group that is use to going to baseball games in Trenton and have been doing so for some 25 years. I think that an Atlantic League team would work for a little while but the lack of young rising stars and rehabbing major league players would eventually erode this group.
Long term success would be a MLB affiliate in the Eastern League and then there would be a great rivalry between Trenton, Somerset and Reading. Teams like Akron, Erie or Richmond would be good teams to relocate to Trenton due to the fact that geographically they are on the fringes of the league.

Let us never forget that Fred Gruninger turned down the chance to have what turned into the Somerset Patriots stadium on the Rutgers campus. Fred G - the definition of small-time.
The College of Staten Island did the opposite and got a nice on campus facility out of it while the place by the ferry terminal was being built for the Staten Island Yankees.

The College of Staten Island did the opposite and got a nice on campus facility out of it while the place by the ferry terminal was being built for the Staten Island Yankees.

Let us never forget that Fred Gruninger turned down the chance to have what turned into the Somerset Patriots stadium on the Rutgers campus. Fred G - the definition of small-time.

Fred grunniger is in the rutgers sports hall of fame . Truth

If Gruninger had tried to hire Greg Schiano as head coach, it would have taken every ounce of self control not to laugh in his face.

Very good news for central NJ baseball fans.

MLB Draft League

MLB is starting the MLB Draft League and Trenton will be one of the teams. 68 game season centered around the MLB Draft with players being showcased for the draft.
Well it’s better than nothing.

And a start.
Just read it is a wood bat league. Nice.
This is an interesting but odd development. Will top prospects be required to play in this league? I guess a few will leave their HS or college team to play in this league at the start, while some may be interested in playing after their season ends and others not all? If you had a solid regular season, why would you risk injury or lowering your draft stock if you had lesser production in this new league?

This is an interesting but odd development. Will top prospects be required to play in this league? I guess a few will leave their HS or college team to play in this league at the start, while some may be interested in playing after their season ends and others not all? If you had a solid regular season, why would you risk injury or lowering your draft stock if you had lesser production in this new league?
Most HS games will be over or near over. This will bring those kids out of CYO summer leagues and into a much better situations.

Most HS games will be over or near over. This will bring those kids out of CYO summer leagues and into a much better situations.
It also says college kids too.

I’m a wait and see as far attendance goes for something like this.

Do like the wooden part.

Do like the wooden part.
It's seems like invitation only. Yes the College WS seems to on forever but there are tons of players who were on teams that didn't make it or knocked out early. I think attendance will be great as its a shortened season in the best weather. No more crappy cold April games.
Yes the wooden bat thing opened my interest a lot more.

It's seems like invitation only. Yes the College WS seems to on forever but there are tons of players who were on teams that didn't make it or knocked out early. I think attendance will be great as its a shortened season in the best weather. No more crappy cold April games.
Yes the wooden bat thing opened my interest a lot more.
I think if it was AFTER the draft and we know what team they’re with it might help with that

But as basically a showcase event? Eh.

I think if it was AFTER the draft and we know what team they’re with it might help with that

But as basically a showcase event? Eh.
I think it will be a improved football combine type thing.
Plus an awesome opportunity for players in the NE and cold weather states. Think of Rutgers players getting to extend their showcase season.

I think it will be a improved football combine type thing.
Plus an awesome opportunity for players in the NE and cold weather states. Think of Rutgers players getting to extend their showcase season.
Oh I’m very happy for guys like this but not sure if this type of set up is enough to get me in the seats.

I said earlier in the thread I never went to a Patriots game because of the lack of affiliation. But would go all the time to see BlueClaws/Thunder without being a fan of either the Phillies or the Yankees.

Last edited:
Reactions: rurichdog
Oh I’m very happy for guys like this but not sure if this type of set up is enough to get me in the seats.

I said earlier in the thread I never went to Patriots game because of the lack of affiliation. But would go all the time to see BlueClaws/Thunder without being a fan of either the Phillies or the Yankees.
Minor leagues bread and butter is the family outing. I don't see that change. Especially in the NE Corridor. Agree people like you and there are many but the charm of minor leagues is bringing the family, school outings and cheap group fun. I think that will still be there for that.

Minor leagues bread and butter is the family outing. I don't see that change. Especially in the NE Corridor. Agree people like you and there are many but the charm of minor leagues is bringing the family, school outings and cheap group fun. I think that will still be there for that.
I love all of it too. Just need the connection (any connection) to a parent club.

Hope it works for Trenton, the Thunder organization and the players themselves

Reactions: WhiteBus

Do like the wooden part.
Logistically, most kids are still playing with their HS and college teams until the end of May and then those advancing in the state and college tourneys go well into June, even late June, so it's going to be more like an all-star team which doesn't practice together until June or July, and some kids may not even be there until then. Seems odd or could disrupt HS and college seasons/competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT