ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UNC Scandal... A Knockout Blow?

RUinPinehurst

All American
Aug 27, 2011
Dan Kane of the Raleigh N&O is offering a new article series investigating the UNC scandal, with Part One posted below, and online at: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/special-reports/carolinas-blind-side/article101978907.html
In short, Kane points to a cover-up of grand proportions involving the entire power base of UNC and the UNC system. Terrific work by Kane. I'm sure the NCAA and its COI will "enjoy" the series.

Carolina's Blind Side

At UNC, A Missed Clue and a Mantra: This Was Not About Athletics

Newly released correspondence reflects a mindset at UNC-Chapel Hill that doubted or disputed information pointing to the athletic roots of a scheme of bogus classes. University lawyers missed, or chose to ignore, an early clue that could have unraveled the fabric of the scheme.

BY DAN KANE
dkane@newsobserver.com

In September 2010, UNC-Chapel Hill was embroiled in its worst athletic scandal in 50 years when one of its lawyers placed a call to Swahili instructor Alphonse Mutima.

The attorney was handling a matter related to that investigation, which involved football players who had taken perks from agents and improper help from a tutor. NCAA staffers had discovered the quagmire and had been digging for several weeks.

The attorney needed to get a syllabus and other materials for a summer class taken by one of the players. Mutima’s surprising response was a signal that there was more looming trouble, an embarrassment that would damage UNC’s academic reputation in a way not thought possible:

He said he didn’t teach the class.

Mutima was one of UNC’s two instructors in Swahili, a language class that was popular with athletes. The attorney consulted with a colleague, then followed up by looking at the grade roll for the class. On the document, the lawyer would have seen not only Mutima’s name, but what was purported to be his signature.

The lawyer emailed Mutima, who replied with the same message: He didn’t teach the class.

The attorney told the colleague about Mutima’s response. The attorney then turned to the chairman of the African studies department, Julius Nyang’oro, who didn’t respond.

And that’s where they stopped, UNC officials say. They believed the listing of Mutima’s name was a clerical error.

As it would turn out, the class was fake, one of 186 bogus classes created by a clerical employee and avid Tar Heel basketball fan named Deborah Crowder. There was no professor. She enrolled seven students, six of them athletes, including four football players and one men’s basketball player, just before she retired.

As in the other 185 classes, those enrolled had only to produce a paper that would get an automatic high grade. Crowder signed professors’ names – including Mutima’s – on the rolls. She often didn’t read the papers.

The lawyers’ lack of vigor in 2010 was representative of leaders at UNC and the university system, a review of tens of thousands of pages of records recently released to The News & Observer shows. That correspondence reflects a mindset that doubted or disputed information pointing to the athletic roots of the scandal – and reveals anger and frustration from some leaders directed at board members or reporters who pushed for more disclosure.

[Much more to the article ...]

[Deleted most of the article posted - left a large introduction ... you must notpost so much of an article, please: Click on link for entire article - Jellyman]

Last edited by a moderator:
Would love to to see UNC penalized , but don't think it will happen . You need someone above the NCAA to come in with some type of oversight

NCAA is a joke..one of two OPTIONS need to happen.
1. A commish is made for each major NCAA sport. OR...
2.The power Five breaks away from NCAA alltogether and governs itself..why do they even need the bumbling,incompetent NCCA?

Last edited:
UNC will nnot get punished. At the very worse, their victories will be taken away

The thing that continually surprises me is that even though UNC has been caught pretty much red-handed, there is no one in a position of power willing to say 'We funked up and should be punished'. I think being proactive would make this much better than what they are doing.

I gave up hope that UNC would be fairly punished a long time ago. NCAA strategy seems to be to hold off from any punishment long enough to the point where nobody cares anymore.

This is crazy. You can make an argument that, from an NCAA perspective, this is far worse than Penn State. It's really crazy nothing has or will come of this.

Reactions: ruready07
This is crazy. You can make an argument that, from an NCAA perspective, this is far worse than Penn State.

Yes it is, and I don't go easy on The Cult.

While these cornpone cronies might not be a cult, they are more like a corrupt organized crime syndicate.

Yes, A really good question nonetheless.

UNC was placed on probation by its accreditation agency (SACS) for one year (2015); earlier this year that agency gave UNC the "all clear" and lifted the probation.

To be clear, the NCAA's "investigation" of UNC is based on the school's own Wainstein Report and focused on the AFAM department portion of the cheating, when, in fact, there were at least five other academic departments that participated in the fake class, illegal grade changes, etc. which benefited athletes, helping to ensure their academic eligibility. Wainstein was hired for a purpose. He addressed the "rest of the story" by including hundreds of emails in his support materials accompanying the report, so he made public the real scope of the scam.

Further, UNC's own admission to its accreditation agency revealed that the fake class scheme started in 1989, whereas Wainstein focused on a start date of 1993. 23 of the first 25 students in the documented fake classes were Dean Smith's BB players.

Wasn't there just a whole thread about not copying and pasting articles because it'll get the site into hot water?

Think I've seen more entire articles posted since that thread than before it.

Either way, it's bs to post an entire article.

Isn't this at the minimum lack of institutional control? How does ESPN, HBO, Fox Sports, etc... not go nuts on this story and bombard the public with this info until UNC is put on a devastating probation at the same level of what PSU was put on?

It's things like this which makes me want Rutgers to cheat.

Look I've watched the ACC for years.

#1 The NCAA makes its money off bball. It doesn't really make money of football because it's FBS.

#2 UNC makes the NCAA a ton of money, it's not in its best interest to punish UNC. Now SMU cheats ,that's a problem and they will get slammed with sanctions.

#3 UNC can have Soprano like no show, no work classes and still get away with it.

I hate it more than anyone, but even with smoking guns everywhere, PSU and Baylor have shown us ethically, UConn paying players , and UNC academically that there is no floor to how low you can go and still get away with it.

So my suggestion to RU is cheat away.

You think this is gonna affect them? Lol...that's what UNC is doing right now to the NCAA. Laughing. Because they know the nc2a isn't gonna do anything about it.

Wasn't there just a whole thread about not copying and pasting articles because it'll get the site into hot water?

Sorry for the "BS," Fanu. I "think" as long as a link is provided posting an article is OK. If my posts on the UNC scandal upset you, please just don't read them. Or put me on "ignore."

I really do think this particular subject is important to all NCAA schools and their followings, especially those that follow the rules. I also think that many folks are not aware of what's transpired at UNC or what the NCAA is not doing about it. Further, the national press has not exactly covered the scandal as deeply as it should/could.

Reactions: RUforester72
The NCAA won't do anything because of the fear of the Power 5 breaking off. They have no power over anyone in those schools and won't do anything to upset the apple cart fr fear of losing that sweet sweet NCAA tournament money.

NCAA is a joke..one of two OPTIONS need to happen.
1. A commish is made for each major NCAA sport. OR...
2.The power Five breaks away from NCAA alltogether and governs itself..why do they even need the bumbling,incompetent NCCA?

Right, because breaking away from the NCAA into a conference that rewards powerful money schools is going to lead to more enforcement?

Hilarious.

Sorry for the "BS," Fanu. I "think" as long as a link is provided posting an article is OK. If my posts on the UNC scandal upset you, please just don't read them. Or put me on "ignore."

I really do think this particular subject is important to all NCAA schools and their followings, especially those that follow the rules. I also think that many folks are not aware of what's transpired at UNC or what the NCAA is not doing about it. Further, the national press has not exactly covered the scandal as deeply as it should/could.

You're incorrect.

From that mod post a month ago:

"If you're conveying information from another site:

1.) Link it.

2.) Quote maybe a sentence or two, if you need to, but don't post the entire article.

I've seen a lot of newcomers not knowing the seriousness of this stuff.

Thank you."

I'm not watching out for this site, which someone else can worry about but recognize it's bs because websites make money from page views. Your article doesn't get page views when someone copies the entire thing somewhere else, whether it's pure plagiarism for another news site or posted on a forum for reference. Common sense, really.

News outlets have enough trouble making money and putting out decent content as it is, no need to make it more difficult.

I wasn't complaining about the subject matter, so not sure what you're going on about there.

You're incorrect.

From that mod post a month ago:

"If you're conveying information from another site:

1.) Link it.

2.) Quote maybe a sentence or two, if you need to, but don't post the entire article.

I've seen a lot of newcomers not knowing the seriousness of this stuff.

Thank you."

I'm not watching out for this site, which someone else can worry about but recognize it's bs because websites make money from page views. Your article doesn't get page views when someone copies the entire thing somewhere else, whether it's pure plagiarism for another news site or posted on a forum for reference. Common sense, really.

News outlets have enough trouble making money and putting out decent content as it is, no need to make it more difficult.

I wasn't complaining about the subject matter, so not sure what you're going on about there.

Right. For what it's worth, "click" the link and you will see that there's much more to the article than what I shared.

FWIW, what you posted was much more than a sentence or two, whether it was the full article, most of it, half of it or whatever.

You're objectively wrong and are hurting both the news source and this site, but feel free to keep digging in stubbornly if it helps your ego.

That's about all I have to say, not specifically my problem to worry about any further.

FWIW, what you posted was much more than a sentence or two, whether it was the full article, most of it, half of it or whatever.

You're objectively wrong and are hurting both the news source and this site, but feel free to keep digging in stubbornly if it helps your ego.

That's about all I have to say, not specifically my problem to worry about any further.

Sure, sport. What do say we leave the moderating to, you know, the moderators?

But isn't the article linked with credit going where it's due?

Look I've watched the ACC for years.

#1 The NCAA makes its money off bball. It doesn't really make money of football because it's FBS.

#2 UNC makes the NCAA a ton of money, it's not in its best interest to punish UNC. Now SMU cheats ,that's a problem and they will get slammed with sanctions.

#3 UNC can have Soprano like no show, no work classes and still get away with it.

I hate it more than anyone, but even with smoking guns everywhere, PSU and Baylor have shown us ethically, UConn paying players , and UNC academically that there is no floor to how low you can go and still get away with it.

So my suggestion to RU is cheat away.
Can you explain point #1? It doesn't make sense to me. And your suggestion for RU to cheat away, while tongue-in-cheek is null and void. Rutgers is more akin to SMU than to UNC.

In many ways, I'm surprised Dan Kane was able to write about this. The UNC School of Journalism pumps out a couple hundred Steve Politi-clones a year, who pretend to be 'journalists'. They largely control the media market in that area.

In many ways, I'm surprised Dan Kane was able to write about this. The UNC School of Journalism pumps out a couple hundred Steve Politi-clones a year, who pretend to be 'journalists'. They largely control the media market in that area.

The N&O was owned by the Daniels family for more than 100 years but was sold to the McClatchy Company a decade or so ago. The Daniels were very much a UNC family, and there is at least one building named for them on the Chapel Hill campus. If the family still owned the N&O, well, there would be no Dan Kane investigative reporting of UNC misdeeds.

For McClatchy, Dan Kane helps bring in readers and, yes, "clicks." All kidding aside, if it weren't for the N&O and Dan Kane, UNC would still have an active AFAM fake-class scam going, as well as fake-class scams in other departments.

Now, with the UNC scandal discovery and subsequent "reforms," they had to alter course, relying on "easy" vs. "non-existent" courses. Have a look at the "majors" of the current rosters of UNC MBB and FB players, and you will see "clustering" in other "friendly" majors, whose departments are on board. That said, this approach is what many schools take. MBB and FB programs also bring in "grade ringers," of course, kids who are on the team to ensure the cumulative GPA/APR is where it needs to be.

Beyond UNC, the NCAA is at a crossroads and soon needs to make the decision to accept and establish a new order, an open environment, wherein MBB and FB athletes may not necessarily be actual "students" but paid staff who generate revenue. This is where the P5 is headed?

What is the Cliff Notes version of the "Knockout Blow " ?

Kane is disclosing that UNC knew of the fake-class scam/NCAA violations and did not report them to the NCAA but chose to suppress that info, when they had an obligation to report the violations, per the rules of the NCAA. In short, UNC demonstrated a willful intention to conceal its violations. So this gives the NCAA some added legal leverage and also results in additional public pressure on the NCAA and its COI to hand down significant punishments.

This is Part One of a Four-Part Series. Stay tuned. Kane has something special to share.

Kane is disclosing that UNC knew of the fake-class scam/NCAA violations and did not report them to the NCAA but chose to suppress that info, when they had an obligation to report the violations, per the rules of the NCAA. In short, UNC demonstrated a willful intention to conceal its violations. So this gives the NCAA some added legal leverage and also results in additional public pressure on the NCAA and its COI to hand down significant punishments.

This is Part One of a Four-Part Series. Stay tuned. Kane has something special to share.

Thanks !
I had actually thought that UNC had been demonstrating a willful intention to conceal its violations all along from the early days decades ago. As things have unfolded over the last 5 or 7 years it's actually hard to keep it all straight.

Let's remember that the NCAA is actually made by of , and controlled by all the other MEMBER University Presidents and ADs , they did come down pretty hard on USC and Penn St.

IF they don't come down very hard on UNC, and thats a very big IF at this point, there will be a lot of uproar.

The biggest thing that mystifies me is how the other schools that make up the ACC don't demand the resignation of Swofford, and demand Conference sanctions on UNC, who mostly defrauded these other schools more than any other OOC schools.

Why would you think it's OK to copy-and-paste the entirety of an article just so long as you post a link to it? You're denying the publisher -- who pays the journalist -- the advertising or subscriber revenue they need in order to stay in business.

If you did that, you would end up with North Carolina times 10.

Why do you say that? I have much more confidence in the B1G leadership than I do the NCAA leadership. Of course as I type that I realize I have much more confidence in a group of 1st graders leadership ability than I do the "leaders" of the NCAA.

Isn't this at the minimum lack of institutional control? How does ESPN, HBO, Fox Sports, etc... not go nuts on this story and bombard the public with this info until UNC is put on a devastating probation at the same level of what PSU was put on?

It's things like this which makes me want Rutgers to cheat.

I think you know the answer to that. The media do not do what many people think they are supposed to do and never have. They are a self-interested industry trying to make money. They only do hard hitting journalism for one of two reasons.

1. It makes them money
2. It fits their agenda (which can for the most part be traced back to #1, eventually)

Reactions: LC-88
Why would you think it's OK to copy-and-paste the entirety of an article just so long as you post a link to it? You're denying the publisher -- who pays the journalist -- the advertising or subscriber revenue they need in order to stay in business.

Theoretically as long as there is more information than he actually posted you, the reader, has an incentive to click the link.

Second, why would you give a crap if the "journalist" or its publisher get paid? While this seems to be a useful topic to cover, overall in the US the "media" is probably not a value added unless you agree with their agendas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT