ADVERTISEMENT

OT- US OPEN @ Erin Hills, Wisc.

Wondering if Paul Casey has motion sickness given the first 13 hole rollercoaster ride today.

Started at -6, two bad holes dropped him down to -2, and now back up to -7 and tied for the lead after 13.
Really impressive response from Casey. After a stretch of +5 over four holes, he got all 5 of those back.

This course looks beautiful. Perfect greens, perfect fairways, high rough , but only if you miss the very wide fairways. Challenging, but well kept bunkers.
The owner kept this public course closed all spring , except for some private tournys, to have it pristine.

Reactions: Knightmoves
This course looks beautiful. Perfect greens, perfect fairways, high rough , but only if you miss the very wide fairways. Challenging, but well kept bunkers.
The owner kept this public course closed all spring , except for some private tournys, to have it pristine.
Over 40 players UNDER par at the US Open?

Over 40 players UNDER par at the US Open?

But not very far under par. Once the pin placements get harder for the weekend, or if the weather if less than the perfect it's been the last 2 days, then the scores will get a bit worse.

But not very far under par. Once the pin placements get harder for the weekend, or if the weather if less than the perfect it's been the last 2 days, then the scores will get a bit worse.

Forecast is scattered thunderstorms tomorrow and windy Sunday

Agree 100 %. Also not obvious as seen on TV are the elevation changes from the fairways to the greens. Some shots from just off the green on certain holes look like they have a short pitch shot to a green that is 10-15 feet above the lie for the chip. The flagstick is barely visible or not at all on the approach shot. That adds uncertainty to the shot.

Look at # 2, a 340 yard par 4. Instead of trying to drive the green, many players are laying up and looking to approach the pin from 100 yards or less, a distance that is a strength of their game. If the player goes for it and comes up 20 yards short on their Drive they face a high lob type shot from near a highly elevated green that may be not setup to accept those types of shots.

As a golf fan I'm excited about Erin Hills as a course layout for the US Open.

I got to play Whistling Straits and Irish Straits in Kohler, WI a few years back. Easy early morning direct flight from EWR to Milwaukee (CST) and a 75 minute drive to Kohler and Whistling Straits. Erin Hills is 40 mins NW of Milwaukee and about 75 mins from Kohler. A Whistling Straits/Erin Hills trip would be a great golf trip with easy travel from EWR. I am thinking about it now to bring a group. 280 to play Erin Hills after the Open. Not sure about Kohler rates, but may need to buy a hotel package to play WS.

Agree 100 %. Also not obvious as seen on TV are the elevation changes from the fairways to the greens. Some shots from just off the green on certain holes look like they have a short pitch shot to a green that is 10-15 feet above the lie for the chip. The flagstick is barely visible or not at all on the approach shot. That adds uncertainty to the shot.

Look at # 2, a 340 yard par 4. Instead of trying to drive the green, many players are laying up and looking to approach the pin from 100 yards or less, a distance that is a strength of their game. If the player goes for it and comes up 20 yards short on their Drive they face a high lob type shot from near a highly elevated green that may be not setup to accept those types of shots.

As a golf fan I'm excited about Erin Hills as a course layout for the US Open.

I got to play Whistling Straits and Irish Straits in Kohler, WI a few years back. Easy early morning direct flight from EWR to Milwaukee (CST) and a 75 minute drive to Kohler and Whistling Straits. Erin Hills is 40 mins NW of Milwaukee and about 75 mins from Kohler. A Whistling Straits/Erin Hills trip would be a great golf trip with easy travel from EWR. I am thinking about it now to bring a group. 280 to play Erin Hills after the Open. Not sure about Kohler rates, but may need to buy a hotel package to play WS.

I don't know if there's enough golf balls in all of Wisconsin for me to play those 3 courses.

Leaders at -7, cut line at +1. Every single golfer going into Saturday has a realistic shot of winning.

Notable Golfers NOT to make the cut- Rory McElroy , Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Jason Day (+10 !), Jason Dufner, and Jon Rahm.

http://www.usopen.com/scoring.html

Didn't see the thread before. Would've posted my pick of Garcia - just think his finally breaking through at Augusta is going to lead to him winning 3-4 majors over the next few years, as he's always had the game, but not the brain. Of course, I could be wrong. Anybody but Fowler - can't stand him.

I love the links style courses. DJ, Jason Day and Rory miss the cut (Rory again). Fowler came back to the pack. It's a finesse course for sure. I had Jon Rahm to win but he blew up. Now he goes home too. Spieth is still around to make noise at even par. He has to make a charge (60's) on Saturday.

I like the course for tournament golf. Birdies and bogeys or worse, live very close together out there and the uphill, chip and lob shots off the tight fairway cut is fun to watch when the best players in the word are out there showing off. As always, whoever putts the best will win this thing.

Wife is sick so she'll put up little resistance on my golf weekend ahead. Two tee times at 7am, followed by US open golf all afternoon...going to be a great weekend.

Reactions: HeyHuey
Didn't see the thread before. Would've posted my pick of Garcia - just think his finally breaking through at Augusta is going to lead to him winning 3-4 majors over the next few years, as he's always had the game, but not the brain. Of course, I could be wrong. Anybody but Fowler - can't stand him.
How could you hate Fowler? He's 5'7", 150 pounds and competes at the highest level of the game. Nicest kid, great with fans, great with the media, great with other players...the outfits are a bit much but can't blame a guy for making a buck.

Sergio....never bet on a crappy putter no matter how good he hits it.

How could you hate Fowler? He's 5'7", 150 pounds and competes at the highest level of the game. Nicest kid, great with fans, great with the media, great with other players...the outfits are a bit much but can't blame a guy for making a buck.

Agree 100% on Fowler. Can't think of any reason to hate him. He is great for the game.

Reactions: J.L. Gotrocks
The cut was +1. That usually puts you in the top 10 in the past US Opens.
This is a joke.
You are right. This course is so easy that 6 of the Top Ten missed the cut!
This is the perfect, typical US Open setup. Hit the ball in the fairway. Land the ball on the right section of the green. Make tough putts for par. If you don't do all 3 you go home.
I have no clue what tournament you crybabies are watching but you are missing a great tournament.

PS- if anyone is interested in volunteering for the Presidents Cup (Liberty National, Jersey City, Sept 26- Oct 1) here is the link :

http://www.presidentscup.com/volunteer.html

I Volunteered at the Barclays at Ridgewood CC about 5 years ago and enjoyed it. Lots of perks for the small amount it costs. 3 day or shift commitment.

The U.S. Open on Fox. The only sporting event I watch with the sound off. Joe Buck is just to painful to listen to. Listening to him for football and baseball is bad enough but this putz should not have anything to do with golf. He has no feel for the game and says the wrong things at the wrong time. I don't turn the sound up for Holly Sonders either but it's because I can't pay attention to what she is saying anyway
I try not to keep the sound on for most sporting events.MLB is the exception as I like the background sounds. A plane overhead,the crowd responses,the sound of bat on ball and all the other sounds that I grew up listening to.No,I'm not waiting to hear Phil's "Holy Cannoli" .The only penalty for sound on is having to hear the Broadcasters.

ok, hate is probably too strong of a word - the guy just annoys me with all the fashion crap - he just reminds me too much of those snooty collar up country club types. But yes, I've read that he's actually a very well-liked guy who works pretty hard and treats fans well, so I officially rescind the "hate" comment. Won't root for him, though. Right now, I could see one of the more experienced guys, like Kaymer or Sergio winning this and Fowler certainly has a good shot.

ok, hate is probably too strong of a word - the guy just annoys me with all the fashion crap - he just reminds me too much of those snooty collar up country club types. But yes, I've read that he's actually a very well-liked guy who works pretty hard and treats fans well, so I officially rescind the "hate" comment. Won't root for him, though. Right now, I could see one of the more experienced guys, like Kaymer or Sergio winning this and Fowler certainly has a good shot.

"‘I didn’t come from money but my parents worked really hard to give my sister and myself opportunities to play sports and see what we were good at,’ said Fowler. ‘My mum always said that if I worked hard at my golf then I would never have to get a job. And look at me now. I’ve still never had a real job!’

Growing up in Murrieta, California, his father Rod had a deal whereby he would provide sand and gravel from his business to a driving range and in return Rickie was given practice balls to hit. His mum Lynn worked in the office at a steel company.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/go...ather-battles-Rory-McIlroy.html#ixzz4kHeCAWPx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

My bet is Hideki...world class game and when he's on, no one is beating him. Looks like he's on...we shall see.

The U.S. Open on Fox. The only sporting event I watch with the sound off. Joe Buck is just to painful to listen to. Listening to him for football and baseball is bad enough but this putz should not have anything to do with golf. He has no feel for the game and says the wrong things at the wrong time. I don't turn the sound up for Holly Sonders either but it's because I can't pay attention to what she is saying anyway
If Buck calls one more 2-3 foot put a "tap in" I'm gonna punch my TV.

I don't know what Tournament your watching but there is some really great play going in Wisconsin.
The playing is fine, however the course has few of the teeth one would expect and were predicted.

The rough has not turned out to be a huge deal because of the wide fairways. Most opens have much more rough effecting play even if it's 6 inches tall vs. 2 foot fescue. The course looks kinda like a links course but plays nothing like one. The fairways are lush and soft not hard as a rock with thin lies. The bunkers were supposed to be hell but that hasn't played true. Lastly the areas around the greens are vast and relatively easy to chip from.

The only defense the course has is its length and limited wind. The play is good. The tournament is great but the course produces a relatively boring tournament.

Lol this tournament is turning into the John Deere Classic. Birdies all over the place. The ultimate test in golf? I don't think so.

Lol this tournament is turning into the John Deere Classic. Birdies all over the place. The ultimate test in golf? I don't think so.

John Deer? Don't think so. The leaders were -7 at the end of the day yesterday. The current leaders are -8.

Yes, there are a lot of birdies but there are also a lot of bogeys and doubles. Paul Casey just tripled #3 dropping from -8 to -5.

5 of the last 10 years the Masters has been won with scores -10 or lower. Is Augusta a Dog Track?The last 3 British Open Champions averaged -17.

Don't worry, if the forecast for tomorrow is correct with winds up to 20mph it's going to be really tough.

Really?? We've seen 4 different players shoot 7 under 65. And yet the leaders are at just -8. This course may be giving birdies. Its also eating these guys up.
We have 7 guys tied for the lead. How can anyone call this boring??

Really?? We've seen 4 different players shoot 7 under 65. And yet the leaders are at just -8. This course may be giving birdies. Its also eating these guys up.
I am enjoying watching it unfold, and will be glued to TV all day tomorrow as well, just think the US Open should be a tougher course. Having 2/3 of the cut under par isn't what I think US Open should be. I want to see these guys as stupefied as I get on the course lol.

This course is a 10 mile walk, up and down big hills. Plus it is very hot and humid there now. Conditioning will be a factor by the time these guys make the turn.
They are sweating profusely.

As you know the combination of a lot of rain, humidity, and little wind have taken away some of the difficulty of the greens. That can't be helped and yes, the way all these guys are going up and down makes it exciting for any golf fan. I think there's something like 20 players within 4 strokes right now.

Bias alert for RU #'s. Hating on Ricky Fowler because you don't like his clothes ? Why investigate what the guy is made of beyond that ? Yikes !

You probably believe that the clothes make the man, or something like that. Total Fail on your part. You should be better than that.

I am enjoying watching it unfold, and will be glued to TV all day tomorrow as well, just think the US Open should be a tougher course. Having 2/3 of the cut under par isn't what I think US Open should be. I want to see these guys as stupefied as I get on the course lol.
Its no different than an Open in Scotland with no wind. Perfect conditions are fooling all of you. Wait until tomorrow. Youll see that this course is a monster.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Bias alert for RU #'s. Hating on Ricky Fowler because you don't like his clothes ? Why investigate what the guy is made of beyond that ? Yikes !

You probably believe that the clothes make the man, or something like that. Total Fail on your part. You should be better than that.

For the longest time the PGA Tour was criticized for being cookie cutter with no personalities. Now you see a number of guys stepping away from the mold. It makes the whole thing better for fans.

This is a very entertaining event...and it looks like it is a good bet to go into Monday. But this course is not the challenge of a US Open. You can't have Reed 1" away from tieing Johnny Miller's 44 year old record -8 IN THE VERY SAME ROUND as Thomas' 1" miss earlier to almost beat the record by 2.

This course is all about the 2nd shot and unlike the British Open and Traditional US courses there is nothing to make you play sideways prior to the green.

I like it but can't say it is a tough course..

Reactions: Abro1975
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT