ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA men's soccer losing to Guatamala

Other than the win, the best thing about last night's game was getting Pulisic cap-tied. While it didn't seem likely he would have played for Croatia, nice to not have it be an issue going forward.

We would have won on the road if JK would have played that lineup on Friday. Bradley and Mix as the CM's don't provide much to shield a shaky pair of CB's and then they couldn't push forward and play in their more natural positions. Beckerman (as much as I think he is not enough quality for the national team) provides solid protection in front of our shaky defense to allow Bradley to push up and play to his strengths.
-Cameron needs to play in the middle at either CB or potentially as the CDM in front of the center-halves.
-JK had better find adequate fullbacks pretty quickly (and the Acosta experiment at U23 didn't go so well). I don't think Yedlin is truly a RB and think his best position is a stay-wide RM, even he was drifting in and playing narrow on Friday night.
- Need to find a Beckerman replacement soon as well. Jones is also getting old. Danny Williams hasn't gotten any better in the last few years. I guess you can hope Trapp matures fast?

JK needs to accept that this team plays so much better with Beckerman in the lineup. It allows Bradley a lot more freedom. Also, let's hope that Brooks can finally get healthy. Gonzales shouldn't be playing for this team.

Love Beckerman & Bradley, but if we're still relying on those to be the pivot of our team in the next WC, we'll be in a world of hurt. Bradley should be more than serviceable in a few years, but JK needs to find another partner for him, or even get Bradley to take the destroyer/DM role while getting someone else to drive the team forward. Qualification could be a bit dicey while JK is trying to figure out who his WC starting XI is.

Whats been painfully obvious to me for many years, and what was shown by last nights lineup, is that Bradley is not a number 10 (Klinsman tried forcing It) and he plays best paired with a number 6. Bradley is a box to box midfielder.

It may have taken Klinsman 6 years to figure out what most avid American soccer fans new 10 years ago but I expect Klinsman will not make this mistake ever again.

Whats been painfully obvious to me for many years, and what was shown by last nights lineup, is that Bradley is not a number 10 (Klinsman tried forcing It) and he plays best paired with a number 6. Bradley is a box to box midfielder.

It may have taken Klinsman 6 years to figure out what most avid American soccer fans new 10 years ago but I expect Klinsman will not make this mistake ever again.

LOL, a #10. Yeah, no way should be be played as a #10. He's best used to ghost in late on the attack, instead of trying to prompt it from forward, plus he has too much of a 'destroyer' in him not to use him further back. Actually wish someone like Mix used as a #10, but he still needs to be more consistent with his passing.

The idea of Cameron as a CDM would shoehorn in with Bradley being further back in the midfield, but again, Cameron needs to be a better passer as well.

Other than the win, the best thing about last night's game was getting Pulisic cap-tied. While it didn't seem likely he would have played for Croatia, nice to not have it be an issue going forward.

We would have won on the road if JK would have played that lineup on Friday. Bradley and Mix as the CM's don't provide much to shield a shaky pair of CB's and then they couldn't push forward and play in their more natural positions. Beckerman (as much as I think he is not enough quality for the national team) provides solid protection in front of our shaky defense to allow Bradley to push up and play to his strengths.
-Cameron needs to play in the middle at either CB or potentially as the CDM in front of the center-halves.
-JK had better find adequate fullbacks pretty quickly (and the Acosta experiment at U23 didn't go so well). I don't think Yedlin is truly a RB and think his best position is a stay-wide RM, even he was drifting in and playing narrow on Friday night.
- Need to find a Beckerman replacement soon as well. Jones is also getting old. Danny Williams hasn't gotten any better in the last few years. I guess you can hope Trapp matures fast?

I agree with all I've he above and will add/comment:

Beckerman is a great number 6 but outside of concacaf he loses his value.

Yedlin is RB for me. He provides absolutely nothing going forward from a standing midfield position but can overlap at RB and whip balls in fairly well. He has no touch.

Having no other fullbacks is absolutely mind boggling.

Danny Williams, as much as I HATED him last cycle (especially when played at RM - Klinsman ugh), has certainly improved in my opinion win his time in the championship and could be number 6. Hoping for more options there and thing when other CBs are healthy Cameron can play there til depending on the match ups.

LOL, a #10. Yeah, no way should be be played as a #10. He's best used to ghost in late on the attack, instead of trying to prompt it from forward, plus he has too much of a 'destroyer' in him not to use him further back. Actually wish someone like Mix used as a #10, but he still needs to be more consistent with his passing.

The idea of Cameron as a CDM would shoehorn in with Bradley being further back in the midfield, but again, Cameron needs to be a better passer as well.

I believe Nagbe is destined for the short term #10 but if he is played out wide Nguyen should get a shot at 10 assuming we weren't just playing a center forward in behind the number 9.

I agree with all I've he above and will add/comment:

Beckerman is a great number 6 but outside of concacaf he loses his value.

Yedlin is RB for me. He provides absolutely nothing going forward from a standing midfield position but can overlap at RB and whip balls in fairly well. He has no touch.

Having no other fullbacks is absolutely mind boggling.

Danny Williams, as much as I HATED him last cycle (especially when played at RM - Klinsman ugh), has certainly improved in my opinion win his time in the championship and could be number 6. Hoping for more options there and thing when other CBs are healthy Cameron can play there til depending on the match ups.

I agree on Yedlin's lack of touch and inability to play as a standing RM. His only value is when he's moving, but he is not good enough defensively to be a 90 minute RB. Gets turned around too easily and is so often just doesn't have body control. He's only 22 or 23 so there is certainly room for him to grow, but I still don't know if he'll ever be anything more than a really fast guy.

Maybe they should go with a blue line rule.

Years ago the NASL had an "offsides line" at about 35 or 40 yards .As long as you were behind that line you would not be offsides. FIFA hated that rule but NASL was trying to improve scoring, primarily by allowing Giorgio Chingnalia to stand there and wait for the long pass.

I think that Yedlin is improving at RB. He's getting significant time at Sunderland now as they try and avoid relegation. Lots of pressure minutes there.
Didn't see much from any of the U23 defenders, other than Parker. They missed Carter-Vickers(Tottenham!) in the back. Miazga looked overmatched. Chelsea will probably have to loan him out for some playing time.

I think that Yedlin is improving at RB. He's getting significant time at Sunderland now as they try and avoid relegation. Lots of pressure minutes there.
Didn't see much from any of the U23 defenders, other than Parker. They missed Carter-Vickers(Tottenham!) in the back. Miazga looked overmatched. Chelsea will probably have to loan him out for some playing time.

Not having Carter-Vickers (COYS) definitely hurt and Miazga needs to play. He almost definitely gets loaned out for next season, especially if they bring in one or two of the CBs they've been linked with. Acosta was being played out of position as JK is trying to find anyone capable of playing LB and that obviously didn't work out.

Even with Yedlin getting minutes at Sunderland, still think he has limited upside as a RB. Though Spurs would appreciate some strong runs forward leading to goals against Leicester next weekend!

Reactions: rutger80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT