ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is your best RU Screw Story??

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
First day of classes and I find out I got deregistered because my family paid my tuition too early. But the worst was having to wait in line for 8 hours to get my classes back, in college avenue Gym.

Reactions: retired711
you guys must be jaded--I have grandchildren that attended PSU and other schools and they experienced the same stuff--again the grass is only greener in your mind

This thread was create so people could talk smack about Rutgers, but the trolling backfired. LOL.

3b49185217a3d0da-600x338.jpg

The "RU Screw" is no different than dealing with any large bureaucracy.
I graduated in the late '80s and in my experience any problems I had with the Rutgers admin. were of my own doing.
This thread was create so people could talk smack about Rutgers, but the trolling backfired. LOL.
1. How is the below my doing?
2. The OP asked, I gave an example below. Legit question on @rutgersal 's part, not really a troll at all IMO.

Being deregistered because someone with the same name didn’t pay their parking tickets.

They might have had the same name but not the same RU ID # or SSN.

The suggestion by Rutgers to remedy THEIR error?

“Maybe YOU, Mr. e5fdny should change YOUR middle initial so this doesn’t happen again.”

How about you do your job instead, Rutgers. How about that?

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
The day student services told me after freshman year that there was absolutely no reason to file for a transfer from Livingston College to Rutgers College, because the degrees were all the exact same, and you graduated from Rutgers University.

Fast forward 3 years, and I got a degree that clearly says Livingston College right in the middle of it, and had to apply to law schools designating on each application that I was a Livingston College graduate.

F*cking A$$holes.

My advisor put me into a 400 level class my 1st semester of my freshman year. First grade of my life less than a B- ...and I didn’t even get a C

Reactions: rutgersal
Organic chemistry lab. They gave me an equipment (condenser) that was broken in the inside and I did not know that it was broken because I did not what to look for the first day I got it. The chemistry department still made me pay for the damn thing when I discovered that it wasn't working properly.

The "RU Screw" is no different than dealing with any large bureaucracy.
I graduated in the late '80s and in my experience any problems I had with the Rutgers admin. were of my own doing.

I was wait listed for graduate housing on campus which caused me to sleep at a no-tell, motel on Rte 18 for two nights a week. I then found out that there were vacancies in the grad student floor in South Tower, which I eventually was assigned to. I was all set to cite an RU screw, but looking back, my predicament was mostly my fault. Also, the motel I slept at shared a parking lot with a go-go bar so it did have perks that on-campus housing lacked. Does anyone remember the old Pyramid Motel on Rte 18 in East Brunswick?

I was wait listed for graduate housing on campus which caused me to sleep at a no-tell, motel on Rte 18 for two nights a week. I then found out that there were vacancies in the grad student floor in South Tower, which I eventually was assigned to. I was all set to cite an RU screw, but looking back, my predicament was mostly my fault. Also, the motel I slept at shared a parking lot with a go-go bar so it did have perks that on-campus housing lacked. Does anyone remember the old Pyramid Motel on Rte 18 in East Brunswick?
Yes.

Reactions: batts
The day student services told me after freshman year that there was absolutely no reason to file for a transfer from Livingston College to Rutgers College, because the degrees were all the exact same, and you graduated from Rutgers University.

Fast forward 3 years, and I got a degree that clearly says Livingston College right in the middle of it, and had to apply to law schools designating on each application that I was a Livingston College graduate.

F*cking A$$holes.

Not to mention whomever went to Livingston prior to the new dorms got totally screwed because the housing seemed substandard and Tillet (Toilet) Dining Hall was the absolute worst.

First day of classes and I find out I got deregistered because my family paid my tuition too early. But the worst was having to wait in line for 8 hours to get my classes back, in college avenue Gym.

Second one isn't really an RU Screw...that's how every college did it before tel-reg or web-reg.

Ah, good old tel-reg.

"busy signal"
redial
"busy signal"
redial
"busy signal"
redial
"Welcome to Rutgers ,the State University of New Jersey telephone registration system. For registration information press 1. For grade inquiry, press 2."

Reactions: RU-AGK
Took sociology 2nd semester junior year while studying for LSATs thinking it would be an easy A. One mid term exam, one final, and grades are averaged together.

Call for grades in the summer, no credit. Turns out the T.A. lost my final exam.

Call Prof and explain the situation. First thing he does is question whether I took the final at all. I'm like I had an A on the midterm why would I possibly skip the final? Prof says well without an exam in hand I cant give you a grade, you have to come retake it then.

I retake the exam in late June. Get an A. He emails me the grade a week later and says since I gave you such a hard time about this I'm giving you an A.

I'm like fool, I earned my A.

So yeah, big FU to that T.A. and Prof Waxman in the Sociology Dept

Took sociology 2nd semester junior year while studying for LSATs thinking it would be an easy A. One mid term exam, one final, and grades are averaged together.

Call for grades in the summer, no credit. Turns out the T.A. lost my final exam.

Call Prof and explain the situation. First thing he does is question whether I took the final at all. I'm like I had an A on the midterm why would I possibly skip the final? Prof says well without an exam in hand I cant give you a grade, you have to come retake it then.

I retake the exam in late June. Get an A. He emails me the grade a week later and says since I gave you such a hard time about this I'm giving you an A.

I'm like fool, I earned my A.

So yeah, big FU to that T.A. and Prof Waxman in the Sociology Dept

What are you upset with the professor for? He seems to have done everything right.

I suppose mine is this: my freshman year grades were pretty weak as I started out as a Biological Sciences major. So, sophomore year I switched to Business Administration (or so I thought). In February of that year (2nd semester already underway) I got a letter that stated that my GPA wasn't high enough to be a Bus Admin major because all the slots were filled. They could have mentioned that prior to the semester starting.
Worked out ok, I suppose. Went to communications and started at WRSU and did ok professionally.

Second one isn't really an RU Screw...that's how every college did it before tel-reg or web-reg.

Ah, good old tel-reg.

"busy signal"
redial
"busy signal"
redial
"busy signal"
redial
"Welcome to Rutgers ,the State University of New Jersey telephone registration system. For registration information press 1. For grade inquiry, press 2."

I think you're mistaken. Most students did not have to stand in line to register. My freshman year in college was 1968. Normally, the university would send out a statement of intent to register with the admissions letter, and so the student would get a course schedule and a mail-in card that could be used to register for classes. I didn't get the statement, and so I had to stand for eight hours. But this wouldn't have happened if the institution had done its job.

In retrospect, I should have asked the preceding summer why I hadn't received any registration materials, but at 17 I wasn't savvy enough to do that. Heavens knows, though, that I besieged the admissions office with many questions by mail, and I probably should have known enough to do it again.

We in the Camden law school had advance registration for years and years. We would simply provide a place for continuing students to drop off their list of classes. This would be done midway through the preceding semester. The only people who had to stand in line to register where those who had screwed up.

1986 waiting in drop/add line for two fn hours at Tillet. Lady closes the blinds on me right as I step up to the window. Was 12:00 on the button. Union mandated break. Had to stand there til 1:00. There were others, but that's the one that stuck in my head.

1986 waiting in drop/add line for two fn hours at Tillet. Lady closes the blinds on me right as I step up to the window. Was 12:00 on the button. Union mandated break. Had to stand there til 1:00. There were others, but that's the one that stuck in my head.
I think registration on Livingston was in Lucy Stone Hall. I remember because I stood in line there for hours myself at times.

While in junior year at RU Engineering School, I applied to and was accepted into the accelerated MBA program (which is technically Newark-based). I ended up taking a couple of Business School courses during my senior year of undergrad on Livingston campus.

As a New Brunswick campus-based commuter student who had landed a full-time job in central NJ construction management, I planned on taking night Business classes at the New Brunswick campus to complete my MBA. This was made clear on my Business School & fall class enrollment documents as well as agreed upon during multiple phone/e-mail conversations with Business School advisors, and I had verified my Livingston campus class schedule early that summer. Two weeks before the fall graduate semester was set to begin and after tuition had been paid, I checked my schedule grid on MyRutgers in order to confirm Livingston class times/locations, and see myself enrolled for a full load daytime classes in Newark. It was only 4 prior years of RU Screw experience that prevented me from sh*tting bricks, and I instead started badgering the Business School advisors with phone calls and e-mails.

Long story short, it worked out. I was given "special" enrollment numbers to get into two already-full night classes (one that was clearly meant for the tail end of the MBA program) at Livingston for that fall with only days to spare before the semester began, and ended up taking 4 years to finish the 60 required credits while working.

Mine worked out fine. I was a Comp Sci minor graduating in '85. There were a million kids getting into Comp Sci at the time and so little computer access. For the minor you had to take 6 courses which were all the pre-req's plus one elective which every minor took - Computers in Society. When I was a senior, they blocked that course from everyone but majors. I went to the Comp Sci department and all they would offer me were graduate courses. However, that year they started a new course - Intro to Computers.

I told the Rutgers Dean that Comp Sci would not allow me to take anything reasonable and I wanted to take the intro class. She sent me back to Comp Sci. I got in the car and drove over. Same answer so I went back to College Ave and again talked to the Dean. She said technically I could take the intro class but I would have to get permission since all classes were full. BAck to Comp Sci. on Busch. I explained the situation again and the when I told the professor that the dean said I could technically take the class, he said tell her to go to hell. Back to College Ave. I told the Dean the professor said to go to hell. She put me in any session of the class I wanted.

I drove 20 miles that day for no reason but it worked in the end. Easiest A I ever got.

Contracted mono as a Rutgers College sophomore. Out of circulation (and classes) for two weeks. I blame the Douglass College pub, 1979.

9 years and 3 degrees and I honestly can say that I never really was on the wrong end of the RU Screw. I ascribe my good fortune to good clean livin'.

I vaguely remember some weird thing about SCILS where I needed to be admitted to SCILS to register for the prerequisites for applying to SCILS.

Mine worked out fine. I was a Comp Sci minor graduating in '85. There were a million kids getting into Comp Sci at the time and so little computer access. For the minor you had to take 6 courses which were all the pre-req's plus one elective which every minor took - Computers in Society. When I was a senior, they blocked that course from everyone but majors. I went to the Comp Sci department and all they would offer me were graduate courses. However, that year they started a new course - Intro to Computers.

I told the Rutgers Dean that Comp Sci would not allow me to take anything reasonable and I wanted to take the intro class. She sent me back to Comp Sci. I got in the car and drove over. Same answer so I went back to College Ave and again talked to the Dean. She said technically I could take the intro class but I would have to get permission since all classes were full. BAck to Comp Sci. on Busch. I explained the situation again and the when I told the professor that the dean said I could technically take the class, he said tell her to go to hell. Back to College Ave. I told the Dean the professor said to go to hell. She put me in any session of the class I wanted.

I drove 20 miles that day for no reason but it worked in the end. Easiest A I ever got.
CS-110. I worked in the College Ave. CS lab helping people out. Lots of CS-110 folks working on those DEC PDP-11/44s.

Not to mention whomever went to Livingston prior to the new dorms got totally screwed because the housing seemed substandard and Tillet (Toilet) Dining Hall was the absolute worst.

Lived on Liv 02-06 and actually didn’t mind Tillet.

I have an iron stomach and can eat anything.
The first time I got food from CAC dining hall - chicken patty (still remember it) - I honestly felt like I was dying in my dorm.
Didn’t move all night and my roommate just laughed.

#Tillet4Lyfe

Graduated with highest honors. The pamphlet they give out at ceremony didn't show me as that though (did for everyone else) and my stupid diploma had a sticker on it saying manga whatever. Busch league shit.

Went to the dining hall at 2:28 PM which closed for lunch at 2:30 PM and they were out of french fries to go with my burger.....OH, THE HUMANITY!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT