ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where are affluent people moving?

Here in the High Country of western NC the climate is similar to New Hampshire, and there are four or so ski resorts within a half hour drive.
Thanks for the reminder. My nephew/wife lives in Asheville and is a big snowboarder. They do some local but when they want to ski they go out to Vail (where we have family). NC mountains have some good elevation but the largest vertical is 1200 ft at Sugar Mountain. Others 800 & less. Definitely an option but I prefer Vermont when staying east. Can't beat central Vermont where you can ski Stratton, Okemo and Killington all within 40 minutes of each other (20 miles each from Okemo).

Depending on who you ask, average teacher salaries in New Jersey are between $54k and $74k. According to the BEA, per capita income in New Jersey is $73k. I don't know about benefits but salaries for teachers don't seem excessive to me.
Arizona doesn’t require a college degree to become a teacher. Florida is now allowing veterans to teach without a college degree. Those are states that really don’t appreciate their teachers by paying so low no one wants to teach there.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and brgRC90
Arizona doesn’t require a college degree to become a teacher. Florida is now allowing veterans to teach without a college degree. Those are states that really don’t appreciate their teachers by paying so low no one wants to teach there.
Who could've imagined bad mouthing the teaching profession, their unions and claiming teachers are grooming children wouldn't have people lining up to teach??

Reactions: MADHAT1 and ruinac
Hilarious and frightening.... Democracy dies in darkness. And in bright sunshine, too, apparently.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Hilarious and frightening.... Democracy dies in darkness. And in bright sunshine, too, apparently.
There is a curious and typically hypocritical anti-intellectual streak in America. We've long had people who think school doesn't matter--even now, even with, I dont know, medicine and epidemics--yet they are often the same people who say that if we let immigrants in it should be the well-educated ones...

Teachers are constantly being attacked. The board is an example.
There is a beautiful irony in reading about DeSantis attacking teachers one month to curry favor with right wing voters, who always fall for conservative political theater and banning things that aren't happening or that OTHER people are doing, and then next month reading that he's desperately trying to fill 8,000 empty teacher slots. No offense to vets, but how in the world does being a vet make anyone qualified to be a teacher more than anyone else trying to get a degree? More political theater.

I still think it is the SUN, the source of all warming. One day, when this religious fervor ends, we'll see that increased solar activity.. adds warming over time and the earth's wobble accounts for the odd "climate change" stuff.. ie.. climate always changes. Yes, green house gasses are adding up largely due to man's activity.. which allows so many people to live on this rock.

But all those dire predictions which only looked at greenhouse gasses were busted. So there is a lot more to it and this insistance that we must listen to the AOCs of the world and give them unlimited powers to save the planet... that's insane. They need to scientifically PROVE that their solutions are worth the costs. Until the climate alarmists do that.. they need to be treated like lunatics on soapboxes pontificating on streetcorners.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
You sure about that, or did you hear that on MSNBC?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, particularly these forums. Kind of like the fake news narrative on the don't say gay bill, which did not prohibit saying gay. But it works for the progressives and gets them all riled up.
Does anybody look anything up, or do some of you just take the talking points from MSDNC or Faux News?

"The new program, if approved by the legislature, would offer bonuses to retired first responders and military members as long as they have a four-year college degree, pass the state subject area exam and land a job in a school district or charter school.

Desantis said that a teaching degree isn’t necessary."

What the heck is a teaching degree?

This statement is laughable. Their position is you need a teaching degree on how to handle cheating? Isn't there a teacher's handbook and district policies that address that, and any idiot could read them and figure it out?

"Dillon said knowing math, science or history is one thing but teaching is another skill set.

For example, a degree in biology doesn’t include courses on what to do if a student is caught cheating on an assignment."

AS FOR ARIZONA--Sounds like a good plan:

"The legislation, SB 1159, allows people without a bachelor’s degree to start training to become a teacher while in college and finish that training while also finishing their degree.

The teaching students will be supervised by a full-time educator while in the classroom with students, and they can’t be fully certificated until they earn their bachelor’s degree. "

The Teacher's Union does more harm to teachers than anyone on this board. When you have leaders like Randi Weingarten, it devalues all the good work they do.

You sure about that, or did you hear that on MSNBC?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, particularly these forums. Kind of like the fake news narrative on the don't say gay bill, which did not prohibit saying gay. But it works for the progressives and gets them all riled up.
Does anybody look anything up, or do some of you just take the talking points from MSDNC or Faux News?

"The new program, if approved by the legislature, would offer bonuses to retired first responders and military members as long as they have a four-year college degree, pass the state subject area exam and land a job in a school district or charter school.

This statement is laughable. Their position is you need a teaching degree on how to handle cheating? Isn't there a teacher's handbook and district policies that address that, and any idiot could read them and figure it out?

"Dillon said knowing math, science or history is one thing but teaching is another skill set.

For example, a degree in biology doesn’t include courses on what to do if a student is caught cheating on an assignment."

AS FOR ARIZONA--Sounds like a good plan:

"The legislation, SB 1159, allows people without a bachelor’s degree to start training to become a teacher while in college and finish that training while also finishing their degree.

The teaching students will be supervised by a full-time educator while in the classroom with students, and they can’t be fully certificated until they earn their bachelor’s degree. "

something doesn't seem exactly right here.
Teacher shortage makes State lessen the requirements needed to be a teacher so more teachers will be available.
Those who couldn't qualify before will be supervised by a full-time educator while in the classroom with students.
Looks, to me , like the shortage was solved by adding one more teacher in classroom.
If the State of Arizona has enough qualified full-time educators to place in every classroom with the ones that are not fully qualified yet, why the need to lessen the standards ???

Also in 2017 Arizona passed a law that would allow individuals with expertise in certain areas to obtain a particular certificate to become eligible to teach in schools. Those candidates would bypass the state's regular requirements to obtain basic or standard teaching certificates.
Candidates must have a bachelor's degree, pass a background check and have at least five years of work experience that relates to the subject matter they would teach.
Senate Bill 1042 also allowed school districts, not the state Board of Education, to decide whether an applicant is eligible to teach.

Seems like everything is being tried in that State and maybe the work environment and salary being addressed might help cure the teacher shortage better than quick fixes that will see the new hires leave the profession once they start feeling like the ones they are needed to replace
(Feb. 15, 2022)
As of January, 31% of teacher positions in the surveyed districts remained vacant, the survey said, and 47.7% of teacher positions were filled by individuals who did not meet standard teacher requirements.

Last edited:

With a teaching degree you learn how to teach, how to write lessons, how to test and evaluate progress, different ways to teach besides just standing in front of a class and talking at students, how to manage a classroom (if you don't manage a classroom properly kids can and will literally rebel and stop listening to you--it happened to me in one of my classes, it happened to my cousin in all of hers). Knowing the content of a subject is actually pretty small compared to knowing how to teach.

Military Veterans Certification Pathway

The State Board of Education amended Rules 6A-4.0012; 6A-4.002; and 6A-4.004 to implement Senate Bill 896 (2022), allowing military veterans to obtain a 5-year temporary teaching certificate without a bachelor’s degree, providing the following criteria are met:

• Minimum of 48 months of military service with an honorable/medical discharge;
  • Minimum of 60 college credits;
  • Passing score on a Florida subject area examination;
  • Employment in a Florida school district, including charter schools; and
  • Cleared background screening.
Veterans who successfully obtain their 5-year temporary teaching certificate will be assigned a classroom mentor for a minimum of two years. They must also earn their bachelor’s degree during the 5-year period and may not teach subject areas that require a Master’s Degree. The temporary certificate cannot be renewed once it expires, nor does it apply to military spouses or families

Military Veterans Certification Pathway

The State Board of Education amended Rules 6A-4.0012; 6A-4.002; and 6A-4.004 to implement Senate Bill 896 (2022), allowing military veterans to obtain a 5-year temporary teaching certificate without a bachelor’s degree, providing the following criteria are met:

• Minimum of 48 months of military service with an honorable/medical discharge;
  • Minimum of 60 college credits;
  • Passing score on a Florida subject area examination;
  • Employment in a Florida school district, including charter schools; and
  • Cleared background screening.
Veterans who successfully obtain their 5-year temporary teaching certificate will be assigned a classroom mentor for a minimum of two years. They must also earn their bachelor’s degree during the 5-year period and may not teach subject areas that require a Master’s Degree. The temporary certificate cannot be renewed once it expires, nor does it apply to military spouses or families
Yeah, so? 60 credits and military experience are probably in most cases better than some pampered kid with a useless bachelor's degree and no life experience. I'm sure the hoity toity MSNBC progressives are aghast and panning this.

Reactions: Section124
The new Faherty clothing catalogue arrived in the mail today. It celebrates teachers, including coaches. Brian Faherty’s two “greatest teachers“ are his wife and Dino Mangiero. ”He was my head coach at Poly Prep and so full of wisdom. He gave great counsel on any situation and became someone I really trusted.”

Yeah, so? 60 credits and military experience are probably in most cases better than some pampered kid with a useless bachelor's degree and no life experience. I'm sure the hoity toity MSNBC progressives are aghast and panning this.
Because there’s a shortage of applicants Florida decided to change their teacher requirement. I don’t see other states following suit because it‘s not a better option.

Might be better then a kid that earned Teaching Degree and now entering the profession as a rookie teacher.
But the ones you're touting will be rookies as well and need mentoring for 2 years.
Also wonder if despite their military experience , if they really will be better than the kids that earned a teaching degree so they could enter the profession after graduation
Those that are being allowed because of lessening the qualifications to teach in the classroom might have changed careers and the changing might not have been because they were looking for new challenges to conquer or a real desire to commit to the teaching profession like the pampered kids that decided to take college teaching courses.

Hopefully both do a great job teaching and decide to stay in the profession after they gain the experience and understand everything that makes up being a good teacher and not become frustrated enough , in trying to overcome some of the problems most teachers encounter , to leave teaching before retirement age.

Reactions: Knight Shift
So... with additional posts clarifying things, AZ and FL appear to be attempting to address a significant teacher shortage in a resourceful way. These recruits may not be following a traditional path to teaching, but that doesn't mean this alternate path demeans those traditionally educated and trained teachers. It'll be interesting to see how these new non-traditional teachers are received by students and how they measure up (review results) to those traditionally educated and trained teachers. Unions and boards may struggle with this.

Reactions: Knight Shift
How does military experience at all make someone a better teacher than a "pampered kid"? In the military people are around adults and learn skills that have almost no relevance or no relevance to education. I suspect the military angle is for politicians to look good and because vets might have higher unemployment rates--and maybe an alleged solution to school shootings.

Reactions: rutgersdave
So... with additional posts clarifying things, AZ and FL appear to be attempting to address a significant teacher shortage in a resourceful way. These recruits may not be following a traditional path to teaching, but that doesn't mean this alternate path demeans those traditionally educated and trained teachers. It'll be interesting to see how these new non-traditional teachers are received by students and how they measure up (review results) to those traditionally educated and trained teachers. Unions and boards may struggle with this.
It's not new, though. Alternative paths to teaching have been around for decades, usually for people who had worked in some kind of related industry. I don't know how well they work.

Haven't some states, and possibly NJ, allowed recent retirees with physics and chemistry backgrounds to teach those courses at the HS level?

To run tactical drills, sure. To teach? Doubtful.

Like everything with that guy, sounds like a poorly construed decision based purely in single-party politics.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Change is hard to accept. Just look how fans have reacted to NIL for NCAAF. Whenever someone feels like they earned a position by a certification and they see that the route to that certification changed (and via an actual or perceived "easier" path), there will be resistance and complaining. It's not just in teaching. It's life.

This clip pretty much proves who will do better in front of the class.

Reactions: Section124
To run tactical drills, sure. To teach? Doubtful.

Like everything with that guy, sounds like a poorly construed decision based purely in single-party politics.
We will agree to disagree here. I would have preferred some teachers with practical experience in the military versus some of the soft losers and stoners who taught my high school classes. Actually, the most valuable class I took in HS was a small engine repair class in the industrial arts department. The teacher was a total stoner/drunk type, but he let us run free in the classroom, and I learned a lot. That's not the right approach for many students, but I made the most of the opportunity to explore and learn.

It's not new, though. Alternative paths to teaching have been around for decades, usually for people who had worked in some kind of related industry. I don't know how well they work.
Funding is a problem, not just paying salaries but the general upkeep of schools.
Creative ways to find kids quality schools to attend doesn't seem to be improving the overall educational system, but does help some areas.
People seem to think going cheap won't hurt a child's education and that shows by the chaos not happening in some states over their attempt to retain teachers, hire quality replacements and maintaining the school so it doesn't show signs of deterioration, but the building itself remains in good condition .
Teacher shortages is only one problem the US Public School System faces , though many feel Public Schooling is outdated and tax dollars should go to private and charter educational systems instead.

Alternative paths to teaching won't work as long as the system remains underfunded and Teaching is considered an easy profession so the pay and respect teachers receive is less than other professions and school maintenance is not a priority

Funding is a problem, not just paying salaries but the general upkeep of schools.
Creative ways to find kids quality schools to attend doesn't seem to be improving the overall educational system, but does help some areas.
People seem to think going cheap won't hurt a child's education and that shows by the chaos not happening in some states over their attempt to retain teachers, hire quality replacements and maintaining the school so it doesn't show signs of deterioration, but the building itself remains in good condition .
Teacher shortages is only one problem the US Public School System faces , though many feel Public Schooling is outdated and tax dollars should go to private and charter educational systems instead.

Alternative paths to teaching won't work as long as the system remains underfunded and Teaching is considered an easy profession so the pay and respect teachers receive is less than other professions and school maintenance is not a priority
Education is funded well in some places, poorly in others. Charter schools and private schools have their own problems and have not ever been shown to be a better alternative.

Wait until those vets start going all drill sergeant on some kids and the parents start complaining that their kids' rights are being infringed upon.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Education is funded well in some places, poorly in others. Charter schools and private schools have their own problems and have not ever been shown to be a better alternative.
Top teacher salary for Arizona and Florida are in the 60’s and top salary in NJ and Mass are in the 90’s after 20-30 years of service. You wonder why they don’t want to be teachers in those states. Didn’t someone mention their relative just started teaching in NJ at $60k?

Those states might be great for retirement but not for a young family that cares about their kids education unless you can afford private schooling.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT