ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where are affluent people moving?

People shit on it when they leave because many never liked it when they were here. Good example is how Rutgers is viewed by many in the state, not a top tier University but rather a place to go if you don’t get into your first choice. Look at how many alumni we have and then look at our endowment.

Many are here because it’s where we were born but many would rather be somewhere else. Winters suck and the taxes are stupid. I don’t really care about being close to NYC or Philadelphia, if I did I would live there. The politics in NJ is beyond corrupt and has been for many decades.
Everyone has a choice. No one is "stuck" anywhere.

Reactions: RU205 and mildone
Not necessarily. A lot of high-income earners like the cities where they have high-paying jobs, places like New York or San Francisco. The end of Roe v Wade and other acts make a lot of these people even less disposed to move to Texas or Florida . However, it's foolish of a lot of blue states to test that loyalty by only ever jacking up taxes. When asked about the subject Warren Buffett said he wouldn't move across the street to save taxes or save his kids inheritance, unlike some very wealthy people who carefully mark calendars to spend enough time in certain states so they can avoid being considered a resident, but that it does cause people with lots of wealth to move, which is not helpful.
I’m sure many people are deciding where to live based on Roe v Wade…smh

People shit on it when they leave because many never liked it when they were here. Good example is how Rutgers is viewed by many in the state, not a top tier University but rather a place to go if you don’t get into your first choice. Look at how many alumni we have and then look at our endowment.

Many are here because it’s where we were born but many would rather be somewhere else. Winters suck and the taxes are stupid. I don’t really care about being close to NYC or Philadelphia, if I did I would live there. The politics in NJ is beyond corrupt and has been for many decades.
so You are saying your parents are dumb for living in NJ and you were not smart enough to get into your top choice?

Was always interesting in my living and travels outside New Jersey how Rutgers' academic reputation is higher among non-residents than residents.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Those people should’ve left a lot sooner. Moronic to stay in a place one hates so much. And politics is equally corrupt everywhere.

Some places actually seem to be getting more anti-intellectual, which is not good in an ever more complicated world.
like the inner cities and school districts like Baltimore that fail to produce ANY students who pass proficiency tests

Fyi florida has the #1 ranked school system of any state in the US. Jobs are flocking to FLA and TX. Despite living in NJ, I do not have a penny invested in NJ real estate. I have over $5,000,000 invested in Dallas and Houston Real Estate. NJ hates landlords and businesses. Love the state but youre a moron to open up shop here
Love the billboard on the way into Atlantic City on Rt 30 from the State of New Jersey asking for people to contact the state to prevent their eviction.

Have a niece just out of college starting her first teaching job in Point Pleasant Beach.
$60,000 plus benefits

60K starting plus healthcare and pension (what's the vesting schedule?) and 12 weeks off during the year. That's damned nice. And it will be a while before she has to worry about putting anyone through college.

60K starting plus healthcare and pension (what's the vesting schedule?) and 12 weeks off during the year. That's damned nice. And it will be a while before she has to worry about putting anyone through college.
She would be tier 5

For her a 401k would be better

If you assume 180 days of school at 8 hour days = 1440 hrs, plus 200 hrs of various other time spent outside of school hours or active school days, you get to 1640 hours a year. 60k/1640 = $36/hr. Not bad. Not great.

When you factor in vacations, holidays, etc. in an office workers' work year, the 2080 hours that gets thrown around...companies will generally find that their employees are working ~85% of the work year. This ends up being 1768 hours a year, without considering any OT hours. The workload difference is not as big as you make it out to be.

so You are saying your parents are dumb for living in NJ and you were not smart enough to get into your top choice?
To quote another poster in this thread “It’s an observation sport. It is what it is.” , but I will answer your questions.

1. I would say my parents were smart for moving to New Jersey because they moved out of an even worse place (NY city) so everything is relative.

2. I was rejected at MIT, Princeton and Yale and settled for RU😉

Thank you for pointing out my grammatical error, I bet you are a retired NJ school teacher that brought your shitty politics to NC.
You would lose that bet. You seem the sort, though, that loses many bets. Ironically, you did "it" again in your clever retort: another comma splice.

To quote another poster in this thread “It’s an observation sport. It is what it is.” , but I will answer your questions.

1. I would say my parents were smart for moving to New Jersey because they moved out of an even worse place (NY city) so everything is relative.

Are you still living in New Jersey? You would have had the opportunity to move out after college.

Did you ever ask your parents why they pick NJ when they moved out of the city?

If you assume 180 days of school at 8 hour days = 1440 hrs, plus 200 hrs of various other time spent outside of school hours or active school days, you get to 1640 hours a year. 60k/1640 = $36/hr. Not bad. Not great.

When you factor in vacations, holidays, etc. in an office workers' work year, the 2080 hours that gets thrown around...companies will generally find that their employees are working ~85% of the work year. This ends up being 1768 hours a year, without considering any OT hours. The workload difference is not as big as you make it out to be.

Entry level would normally get 2 weeks vacation, 8-10 holidays depending on the industry and 5 sick days.

That would put it at 1880 hours. And that's assuming zero outside of work hours, which is accurate in some cases but not all and rarely 200. I'd round it to 1900, which is significantly more than 1640.

Did you ever ask your parents why they pick NJ when they moved out of the city?
Maybe, like their child, or perhaps because of him, they were so busy being angry at the world, they didn't have time to think about moving someplace that child would think is nicer?

Entry level would normally get 2 weeks vacation, 8-10 holidays depending on the industry and 5 sick days.

That would put it at 1880 hours. And that's assuming zero outside of work hours, which is accurate in some cases but not all and rarely 200. I'd round it to 1900, which is significantly more than 1640.
my company starts with 3 weeks vacation, 16 holiday days, unlimited sick. and, while decent, isn't special in my travels in the working world.

I’m sure many people are deciding where to live based on Roe v Wade…smh

“Roughly 1 in 3 job-seekers say they won't apply to a job in a state with an abortion ban, according to an August ResumeBuilder survey of 1,000 people. And 1 in 4 job-seekers currently living in a restrictive state is applying to jobs only where abortion is legal.”

Reactions: NotInRHouse
“Roughly 1 in 3 job-seekers say they won't apply to a job in a state with an abortion ban, according to an August ResumeBuilder survey of 1,000 people. And 1 in 4 job-seekers currently living in a restrictive state is applying to jobs only where abortion is legal.”

I figured this was true when guy said that. Not surprising. Thanks for posting.

It's not fair ruining his angry rant with facts.

If I were job hunting, I would absolutely avoid any tyrannical extremist state that believes they can own a person's body and dictate what happens to it. One of the most anti-freedom, anti-American laws a state could enact. The kind of thing one would expect in China or North Korea, not here in the US.

Maybe, you know, they could move to Flushing.
🤣

You would be a whole lot more fun to hang out with than the angry NJ-hating dude. I mean, people have a choice, right? They can sit around and bitch about how much they hate stuff. Or they can sit around have share laughs about stuff.

Each to their own, but for me, life is way too short to waste it heaping hate on everything.

It's not fair ruining his angry rant with facts.

If I were job hunting, I would absolutely avoid any tyrannical extremist state that believes they can own a person's body and dictate what happens to it. One of the most anti-freedom, anti-American laws a state could enact. The kind of thing one would expect in China or North Korea, not here in the US.

Yep, agreed.

I'll give it time to shake out, but I may actually move because of it.

In my Ocean county district a teacher with 12 years in the system makes about 60k
That is crazy- my SIL that has been teaching in New York- Dutchess County since mid 80’s- first hit 6 figures around 1999. She is now about $150k per year. Public school HS Math.

Yep, agreed.

I'll give it time to shake out, but I may actually move because of it.
I know you disagree with my stance on guns. But at least I'm consistent about individual freedoms. And freedom over one's own body is pretty fundamental, even in situations where the tradeoff is kind of horrific in some cases (i.e. late term abortions).

The choice really sucks, IMO. But humans didn't exactly design themselves this way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT