ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who makes the BEST Pizza You’ve ever had?

I’m definitely on board with DeLucia’s and De Lorenzo’s (Robbinsville location of course) as my top 2.

If you’re into the gourmet wood-fired style, Razza in Jersey City is pretty damn good.
We made the switch to DeLorenzos in Yardley due to it being closer. I’d put it right there with Robbinsville. We sent our neighbors from San Diego there when they were in the area for Christmas and they now understand why we have trouble finding good pizza out here.

I’m definitely on board with DeLucia’s and De Lorenzo’s (Robbinsville location of course) as my top 2.

If you’re into the gourmet wood-fired style, Razza in Jersey City is pretty damn good.
IMO, gourmet and pizza don't belong in the same sentence.

..and real sweet sausage broken-up into clumps - no gray slices that look like they came from a morgue fridge.
Sausage is my go to pie. I prefer thin strips of sausage...round is fine if thin. Clumps is good but ground sausage immediately turns me off.

That Connecticut place didn't suck either.
Frank Pepe in New Haven for the best regular pizza.
Sally's in New Haven for the best clam pizza.
Krispy in Freehold (other locations) for the best grandma pie

The square pepperoni pie from Rosie's in Point Pleasant is my favorite within 5 miles of my house. But there is awesome pizza all over NJ. The key to good pizza is that it's slightly over cooked so the bottom is on the dark side with char marks. The most pizza I eat these days is from Squan Tavern. It's really good and really convenient since I can walk there.

For me, Pete & Elda's cracker crust tastes like a cracker. Federici's is just as thin but tastes a lot better. The problem with either one is you can eat the whole damn pie, lol.

Vinnie's Pizza 73rd & Columbus NYC. Ate there way too much until they closed up shop about 20 years ago

We made the switch to DeLorenzos in Yardley due to it being closer. I’d put it right there with Robbinsville. We sent our neighbors from San Diego there when they were in the area for Christmas and they now understand why we have trouble finding good pizza out here.
I’ve eaten Delos in both Yardley and Robbinsville but find myself going to Papas weekly, which does it for me.

My Wife.

Best I ever had was a homemade one with a cauliflower crust she made, her own sauce and it was loaded with different vegetables.

And I’ve had them all…the names we know from NYC, SI, Chicago, NJ (Shore, North, South), Hamptons, etc.

Double Zero Pizza in Fairfield, NJ. He makes his dough from 00 wheat imported from Italy that has not been altered over the hundreds/thousands of years. It's not GMO modified and is so pure that my wife, who is gluten free, can digest it easily. The taste is like nothing I've tasted before and there are a ton of pizza places in my neck of the woods.
Thank you. I work down the street from Double Zero so I will definitely check out the pizza.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Frank Pepe in New Haven for the best regular pizza.
Sally's in New Haven for the best clam pizza.
Krispy in Freehold (other locations) for the best grandma pie

The square pepperoni pie from Rosie's in Point Pleasant is my favorite within 5 miles of my house. But there is awesome pizza all over NJ. The key to good pizza is that it's slightly over cooked so the bottom is on the dark side with char marks. The most pizza I eat these days is from Squan Tavern. It's really good and really convenient since I can walk there.

For me, Pete & Elda's cracker crust tastes like a cracker. Federici's is just as thin but tastes a lot better. The problem with either one is you can eat the whole damn pie, lol.

I have heard that Pete and Elda's is made on Matzo.

My picks for best thin crust would be

Kinchley's - Ramsey
Scorintino's - South Amboy
Nancy's Tavern - Rahway

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
Front Street Trattoria in Red Bank closed in 2020 after 35 years there. They had a deep dish pizza (imagine a pizza served like a chicken pot pie). So thick I would have one slice and take the remainder home. They served the pizza sauce in a small metal container. Wonderful and I love most pizza.

This pallet still feels the loss.

There was a place in Brooklyn on Livingston St across the street from Kings County Court. Can't remember the name, but I don't think it's there anymore.

Let me turn back the clock and I’ll take a Patti’s pizza and a pitcher of beer or a bar pie and a mug at Hanks Knott Inn with my buddies over anything since.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBP
Best: Any of the big 3 in New Haven. Hate to admit it, but it's best. I like Modern the best.
Best local to where I live (Highland Park/Rutgers): Zia Lisa's grandma pie in Edison, and Dusals on rt. 27.

now i have find some good pizza this week

maybe will try Casa D' Pizza in Denville, heard was good

Let me turn back the clock and I’ll take a Patti’s pizza and a pitcher of beer or a bar pie and a mug at Hanks Knott Inn with my buddies over anything since.
Nothing like the first Patties experience! Was maybe 8-9 when my dad took me. Coming home from a soccer game in Bridgewater and detoured into New Brunswick. Thought he was going to abandon me. Hahahaah.

Like nothing I ever tasted. Magical.

Reactions: ruinac
Their sausage bar pie was really good!
Are fresh bread dough, mozzarella, olive oil, tomato sauce, and oregano basic pizza ingredients?
There are tons of different styles and recipes and I think it’s largely a matter of personal taste as to what is “best.” I’ve been making pizza since I was a teenager (was a classmate of Henry Rutgers). Anyway, I make a 63% hydration, 48-72 hour cold fermentation. Thin crust and I I use 00 or KAAP flour and make my sausce from San Marzano DOP whole tomatoes, EVOO, sautéed garlic and a bit of onion, salt, pepper, oregano, basil. Most friends, family, and acquaintances say it’s their favorite but maybe they’re just trying to get/stay in the will…It is pretty good though cause you can use top ingredients and make it exactly the way you want.

For me it's the New Haven Apizzas vs the Trenton Tomato Pies and then there is everything else. Both of them are beyond any other type of pizza.

Ralph's in Nutley is pretty good too but it's one that tastes way better on site.

Reactions: Section124
Their sausage bar pie was really good!

There are tons of different styles and recipes and I think it’s largely a matter of personal taste as to what is “best.” I’ve been making pizza since I was a teenager (was a classmate of Henry Rutgers). Anyway, I make a 63% hydration, 48-72 hour cold fermentation. Thin crust and I I use 00 or KAAP flour and make my sausce from San Marzano DOP whole tomatoes, EVOO, sautéed garlic and a bit of onion, salt, pepper, oregano, basil. Most friends, family, and acquaintances say it’s their favorite but maybe they’re just trying to get/stay in the will…It is pretty good though cause you can use top ingredients and make it exactly the way you want.
Very cool. How do you cook it? Pizza oven like an Ooni?

Very good friend of mine is similar to you and he used all the downtime during Covid to build a wood-fired pizza oven on his back patio. His pies are incredible.

Best: Any of the big 3 in New Haven. Hate to admit it, but it's best. I like Modern the best.
Best local to where I live (Highland Park/Rutgers): Zia Lisa's grandma pie in Edison, and Dusals on rt. 27.
Agreed. Born and raised in NJ but New Haven is the best. Modern tastes the best but my go to is Sally's (thin and crispy).

It's hard to find a bad pizza in NJ but I have found a few places. Usually they undercook their pies. Delo's is good but not New Haven good.

Nothing like the first Patties experience! Was maybe 8-9 when my dad took me. Coming home from a soccer game in Bridgewater and detoured into New Brunswick. Thought he was going to abandon me. Hahahaah.

Like nothing I ever tasted. Magical.
In the mid-1970s upper grads were saying the pizza was "soupy" and not as good as it once was. Can anybody confirm/deny that?

Growing up, i liked orlando’s in colts neck.
I like Conte’s in Princeton.
My gf likes Frank Pepe in yonkers.

Too lazy to find my 5 other posts on this topic, lol. I'd have to go with Star Tavern (orange), Sciortino's (South Amboy), Nancy's Towne House (Rahway - thinnest pizza on the planet), Di Fara's (Brooklyn) and Frank Pepe's (New Haven), plus I'll throw in Sal's in my hometown (Wash Twp, Gloucester Co).

Reactions: RU Golfer
In the mid-1970s upper grads were saying the pizza was "soupy" and not as good as it once was. Can anybody confirm/deny that?
Never heard my brother say that. He graduated in 74, me in 80 and he accompanied me a few times to Patti’s during my years. So he spanned the whole decade.

Very cool. How do you cook it? Pizza oven like an Ooni?

Very good friend of mine is similar to you and he used all the downtime during Covid to build a wood-fired pizza oven on his back patio. His pies are incredible.
We have a wood burning oven we use for tailgates but to be honest, I like indoor 525 degrees. Either way works. Neopolitan is higher temp, lower cook time. Totally different approach/taste/meal.

Reactions: ClassOf02
For me it's the New Haven Apizzas vs the Trenton Tomato Pies and then there is everything else. Both of them are beyond any other type of pizza.

Ralph's in Nutley is pretty good too but it's one that tastes way better on site.

Always liked Ralph's and would stop in a bunch when I was in that area.

Being in LA, I really miss NJ pizza. My favorite was Pizzatown USA in Elmwood Park. In NYC, I was a big fan of Patsy's as well.
The owners of Pizzatown sold a year or so ago. I actually think it’s better now with the new owners. They kept it pretty much the same but the pies are more consistent.

Alfonsos Somerville...Large Cheese Pie with Sausage. The Mozzerella just hits differently than any other place

My parents grew up on De Lucia's and we had it quite a bit as kids but to be honest to me its dry and hard. I dont really see the appeal of it

Use to go Patti’s as a kid with my Pop before going to the Barn

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Being in LA, I really miss NJ pizza. My favorite was Pizzatown USA in Elmwood Park. In NYC, I was a big fan of Patsy's as well.
Found anything good in LA? Joe’s Brooklyn pizza claims to be a real NY pie. I’m skeptical. Pitfire Pizza is the only decent thing I’ve found thus far.

Growing up on Long Island, our neighborhood pizzeria Va Bene Pizza was the best, in my opinion. Maybe heavy on nostalgia, but Friday nights Nicky would have a line from the counter all the way out the door for pickup.

His pies sold for $9 so he was always running short of singles. I had a paper route, one of the larger routes for a kid, and had a satchel full of small bills on collection day so we had an arrangement. I'd run him over all my singles on Friday nights that he'd trade for 50's and 20's and he'd also send me home with a slice or some garlic knots. Great memories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT