ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who's in?

As much as I hate them, Penn State deserves to be in, perhaps more than Ohio state.
All the others are conference winners, except #2. If winning your conference outright doesn't get you a ticket, then the system is just not fair for all. It creates a slippery slope where big name teams are more inclined to get a nod over lesser named teams that are also deserving.
If it's about which 4 teams are the best in college football right now, then yes clearly Ohio state and Alabama are in, but you really have to question whether Clemson and Washington are better than Penn State. Just saying...

If you're putting PSU in and not OSU then you are basically saying it doesn't matter if you go 0-3 in non-conference play as long as you show up and win your conference.

As much as I hate them, Penn State deserves to be in, perhaps more than Ohio state.
All the others are conference winners, except #2. If winning your conference outright doesn't get you a ticket, then the system is just not fair for all. It creates a slippery slope where big name teams are more inclined to get a nod over lesser named teams that are also deserving.
If it's about which 4 teams are the best in college football right now, then yes clearly Ohio state and Alabama are in, but you really have to question whether Clemson and Washington are better than Penn State. Just saying...
Umm, no. F Penn State.
No CFP for them!

Swap washington and Clemson. Huskies just thrashed a #8 team..... Clemson just survived a heart attack against a #24 team. You could even put UW ahead of tOSU if you wanted to.

Penn State has 2 losses. Just saying

Thank you Pitt.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Really impressed by Trace McSorley today; had a career game. But why is a conference championship so special? The goal is to have the four best teams, and conference champion is but one factor in that.

Washington was impressive, but Clemson had a tougher overall schedule. I'd still go Bama, Buckeyes, Clemson, Washington.

Thank you Pitt.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Fair point on the 2 losses as Penn state is only one with two losses in that group. The problem with going solely based on wins and losses is that this encourages teams to play soft OOC schedules and inflate their records. But how do you objectively decide who deserves to be one of the 4? Essentially, what we are all saying here is that winning your conference doesn't mean anything. Which is fine, but also realize the implications of this going forward. This also means that if Rutgers were to ever win the Big 10 title, that there is a slim chance we will ever get to play for a national championship unless we happen to be undefeated or that the Michigan and Ohio States of the world have to have multiple loses bc they will always get picked over us even with 1 loss...

This is a hard one, PSU definitely proved something today but then again so did Washington thrashing CU yest

-sigh- let's just expand to 8 team playoff

Reactions: 21towin
Really impressed by Trace McSorley today; had a career game. But why is a conference championship so special? The goal is to have the four best teams, and conference champion is but one factor in that.

Washington was impressive, but Clemson had a tougher overall schedule. I'd still go Bama, Buckeyes, Clemson, Washington.
McSorley was all of 6'0" and 182 pounds as a recruit. Only a 3 star recruit, but he is a baller. Huge difference in the offense compared to when Hackenberg, 5-star recruit, was QB. Saw this last year when McSorley was put in the game in the second half of their bowl game against Georgia.

Agree. They won't be left out. But I think its silly they advance over their conference champion.
It's going to be really interested and could change the way schools schedule.
If UW gets in then OOC doesn't matter.
If a 2 loss PSU team that lost by 39 gets in because of a championship........
Big12 champ doesn't get in so why schedule tough OOC?

Simple fact is 4 teams with 5 major conferences is dumb. EXPAND

This is a hard one, PSU definitely proved something today but then again so did Washington thrashing CU yest

-sigh- let's just expand to 8 team playoff

8 teams:

5 Power 5 Champs (Bama, Clem, Wash, PSU, Oklahoma)
1 Highest Ranked Group of 5 Champ (WMU)
2 Best At-Large (Michigan, Ohio State)

Matchups would be: (to avoid rematches)

1. Alabama vs. 8. Western Michigan
4. Oklahoma vs. 5. Michigan

2. Clemson vs. 7. Penn State
3. Ohio State vs. 6. Washington

Reactions: Mr_Sinister
Last edited:
Agree. If we add hot teams who is hotter than USC?

It is my strong opinion that USC beats 3 of those top 4 teams right now straight up and gives Alabama all they can handle.They are a completely different team than the one that got throttled by Bama to start the season. Sam Darnold will be a Heisman candidate next year.

Reactions: vkj91
Welp here we go, the great college football regular season now gives way to the worst playoffs in sports, where a committee of partisan executives decides whose season is over and whose season continues, and nobody really knows what the criteria is. One way or another, one team is going to feel absolutely screwed. I called it when they started this format that we would still run into these issues, and sure enough here we are once again. As much as I hate Penn State, if Ohio State is in over them, then you are better off not winning your division as long as you still have a good record. They didn't get to play for their conference championship, but they may have clinched a spot in the national playoffs by avoiding a tough opponent this week.

Reactions: ruready07
Penn State's success has buried our program. And although I'm a Rutgers fan, if I had offensive talent and were recruited by Temple or RU and Drew Mehringer, I would choose Temple in a heartbeat. That's how bad we have become. When the Temple program looks--is--better than ours.....it is time for a reality check here.

8 teams:

Really don't understand why they can't do this.

Still use the 6 Playoff Bowls. (Semis this year are Peach and Fiesta) Other 4 are Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange

Play the other 4 on the Saturday before Xmas. (give 2 weeks of prep). This year, since Xmas Eve is Saturday, play them on Friday the 23rd.

Noon - Cotton - Oklahoma vs. Michigan
3:30 - Orange - Clemson vs. Penn State
6 - Rose - Okahoma vs. Michigan
8:30 - Sugar - Alabama vs Western Michigan.

What an awesome day of football. Then play the other 2 semis on New Years Eve/Day like normal..and the Championship on normal day as well. No brainer!!

Well actually, the stated goal of the Committee on their official website is, "to pick the 4 best teams in college football." So you've stumbled into the correct point here.

If it was only picking 4 conference champions, there would be no need for a committee.

Welp here we go, the great college football regular season now gives way to the worst playoffs in sports, where a committee of partisan executives decides whose season is over and whose season continues, and nobody really knows what the criteria is. One way or another, one team is going to feel absolutely screwed. I called it when they started this format that we would still run into these issues, and sure enough here we are once again. As much as I hate Penn State, if Ohio State is in over them, then you are better off not winning your division as long as you still have a good record. They didn't get to play for their conference championship, but they may have clinched a spot in the national playoffs by avoiding a tough opponent this week.

Ohio State has already beaten Oklahoma in Norman by 21, Wisconsin in Madison by 7 and Michigan by 3. That is 3 top 10 wins. The only other team that has done that is Michigan.

Penn State hasn't beaten a top 25 team on the road all year.

8 teams:

That would work well, but the fear with expansion is that the high end bowl games get diluted and lose their luster. And let's face it, bowl games are a huge part of college football.

I think top 6 would work well too: 5 conference champions and 1 at large. Top 2 get a bye (less games), which also preserves the value of the New Year's day bowls.

As much as I hate Penn State, if Ohio State is in over them, then you are better off not winning your division as long as you still have a good record. They didn't get to play for their conference championship, but they may have clinched a spot in the national playoffs by avoiding a tough opponent this week.

Haha, OSU has wins over #5, #6, and #9, with two of those wins coming on the road. So the "avoiding a tough opponent" argument is hogwash. And having a good record is kind of important to being highly ranked, dontcha think?

Reactions: Terry_2426
That would work well, but the fear with expansion is that the high end bowl games get diluted and lose their luster. And let's face it, bowl games are a huge part of college football.

I think top 6 would work well too: 5 conference champions and 1 at large. Top 2 get a bye (less games), which also preserves the value of the New Year's day bowls.

Top end bowl games will get BETTER selection of teams...at least in my plan.

Penn State's success has buried our program. And although I'm a Rutgers fan, if I had offensive talent and were recruited by Temple or RU and Drew Mehringer, I would choose Temple in a heartbeat. That's how bad we have become. When the Temple program looks--is--better than ours.....it is time for a reality check here.

I'm prob the most pessimistic fan on this forum and even I dont see us having to worry about Temple...let them have their AAC championship...Rhule will be gone soon and even if he doesnt, I still see no reason to worry

Now, PSU is a totally diff story now...hopefully they dont creep back into Jersey

Thank you Pitt.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Thank you. I was gonna point out that Pedd St. has TWO losses.....Pitt and Michigan....and Michigan blew them out. They can't be one of the four top teams In the country.

Even if pen was the best team in the country they shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs.

Haha, OSU has wins over #5, #6, and #9, with two of those wins coming on the road. So the "avoiding a tough opponent" argument is hogwash. And having a good record is kind of important to being highly ranked, dontcha think?
Those prior wins are irrelevant to the fact that they benefitted by not winning their division. Suppose they did play in the conference championship game and lost to Wisconsin. Would that have been enough for them to drop from the top four? Probably not, but it's possible, but either way they avoided that possibility by losing the right regular season game. Clemson and Washington had good records too but they still had to win their conference championship games.

PSU, Mich, and OSU is interesting

- OSU lost to PSU in a close game and beat Mich in OT
- PSU had a close early season loss to Pitt and a blow out loss to Mich. They won the championship game over Wisconsin.
- Mich beat up PSU, Lost by 1 to Iowa, and lost in OT to OSU

They all are flawed but using the Wisconsin tie breaker:
PSU beat Wisconsin by 7
Mich beat Wisconsin by 7
Ohio St beat Wisconsin by 7 in OT

They are all equal vs. Wisconsin

Ohio St is the least flawed team (1 loss to a good team) but PSU beat OSU and won the championship.

It is a toss up.

If they allow PSU in then most teams are going to change how they think about OOC scheduling. I don't think anyone wants that at all as the regular season then gets watered down so much. I believe they will credit OSU for their schedule and also give a spot to UW. UW and PSU are on equal footing with winning a conference championship but UW only has 1loss to USC. They get in because if that.

I think the B12 is WISHING for a 8 team playoff right now bc they are going to be held out for a very long time IMO without a title game moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT