ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wimsatt fumble at Ole Miss

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Wimsatt was beyond the line of scrimmage and fumbled near the goal line and it fortuitously ended up in the hands of a teammate who carried it into the end zone. I do not understand why that wasn’t cited as a forward lateral, which is illegal. The ball was untouched by a defender and the fumble never hit the ground.

I saw the play and it was a legit play on the ball by the defender—lowered his shoulder into the ball. Kyle wouldn’t have held onto that if he’d gotten hit like that.

They have to have Wimsatt throw at least once in a series or he will not be effective running the ball. If he is in the game all the defenders key on him.

Wimsatt was beyond the line of scrimmage and fumbled near the goal line and it fortuitously ended up in the hands of a teammate who carried it into the end zone. I do not understand why that wasn’t cited as a forward lateral, which is illegal. The ball was untouched by a defender and the fumble never hit the ground.
I wondered the same. Also, isn't there a rule about not being able to advance a fumble or is that an NFL rule only?

Not sure why it would be a lateral. Looked like the ball was popped out and the trajectory took it into the end zone. No one appeared to intentionally bat it there.

He had 9 carries. Looks like they are using his size and legs on short yardage situations.
Not really. Seems the opposite. And they did not use him in the second half until the 4th Q run when he fumbled the ball with bad ball sec
  • 2nd & 10 at UK 36​

(11:34 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt run for 7 yds to the UK 43
  • 1st & 10 at MISS 49​

(10:22 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt run for 2 yds to the MISS 47
  • 1st & 10 at MISS 22​

(7:16 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt run for 11 yds to the MISS 11 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at MISS 11​

(6:33 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt run for no gain to the MISS 11
  • 1st & 10 at UK 9​

(14:04 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt run for 1 yd to the UK 10
  • 1st & 10 at UK 31​

(12:12 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt run for 2 yds to the UK 33
  • 1st & 10 at MISS 35​

(1:55 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt run for no gain to the MISS 35
  • 2nd & Goal at MISS 9​

(1:18 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt run for a loss of 1 yard to the MISS 10

Check the video. To me, this is a forward lateral.

Agree, that was the result, but not the intention. Thought the force of the helmet would have moved the ball backwards, but it seems the forward momentum propelled the ball forward. On the stat sheet, Gavin is not credited with anything except a fumble--that's not a knock on him, just a fact that it was not counted as a pass or a run for him.

Not really. Seems the opposite. And they did not use him in the second half until the 4th Q run when he fumbled the ball with bad ball sec
  • 2nd & 10 at UK 36​

(11:34 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt run for 7 yds to the UK 43
  • 1st & 10 at MISS 49​

(10:22 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt run for 2 yds to the MISS 47
  • 1st & 10 at MISS 22​

(7:16 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt run for 11 yds to the MISS 11 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at MISS 11​

(6:33 - 1st) Gavin Wimsatt run for no gain to the MISS 11
  • 1st & 10 at UK 9​

(14:04 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt run for 1 yd to the UK 10
  • 1st & 10 at UK 31​

(12:12 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt run for 2 yds to the UK 33
  • 1st & 10 at MISS 35​

(1:55 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt run for no gain to the MISS 35
  • 2nd & Goal at MISS 9​

(1:18 - 2nd) Gavin Wimsatt run for a loss of 1 yard to the MISS 10

Nice. So they gave Ole’Miss a new look and it worked until they made the adjustment. I’m sure they will add in the throw later. I wouldn’t call that weak ball security. Had two hands on it. It was a great hit. Think it happened to our TE once in the red zone too. Glad they got the win.

Reactions: thegock
And the description of the play is incorrect. The ball was not fumbled into the end zone. It was carried into the end zone.

Nice. So they gave Ole’Miss a new look and it worked until they made the adjustment. I’m sure they will add in the throw later. I wouldn’t call that weak ball security. Had two hands on it. It was a great hit. Think it happened to our TE once in the red zone too. Glad they got the win.
How can you be so sure? I'm not being a buster. Just seems as the game went on they did not use him. It was weak ball security. He did not have two hands on it. The ball was hanging low in his left arm, low hanging fruit ripe for picking. Runners are to carry the ball high and tight. I'm not bagging on Gavin- just calling balls and strikes. Some of the Gavin apologists though will never find fault in anything he did or does.

iu

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Agreed. What is a statistical anomaly (could be wrong) is that ESPN does not credit Kattus with a fumble recovery.
Don't know about all that. You can advance a fumble forward except some situations like if it goes out bounds it comes back to the spot of the fumble. Or if its 4th down or something then the player who fumbled has to be the one to recover. There might be one or two other exceptions but otherwise, I think you can advance a fumble.

What is the discussion at play here? No matter how you look at it - nothing Gavin did on that play reflected on him positively whether it was a fumble or a lateral. Regardless - he either made a mistake or the defender made a great play (but in either scenario he did not contribute in a plus way to the TD). Someone else bailed out a negative that happened while he took a snap at QB. Correct or am I missing something?

How can you be so sure? I'm not being a buster. Just seems as the game went on they did not use him. It was weak ball security. He did not have two hands on it. The ball was hanging low in his left arm, low hanging fruit ripe for picking. Runners are to carry the ball high and tight. I'm not bagging on Gavin- just calling balls and strikes. Some of the Gavin apologists though will never find fault in anything he did or does.

iu

1st 3 carries was for 20 yds. Next 5 was for 1 yds. I like the play they called for him on that fumble. We ran it here with KM as the lead. We can disagree on ball security. I still think the D made the play than poor ball security. I’m sure your boy Ean would’ve held on and power through that pile

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
What is the discussion at play here? No matter how you look at it - nothing Gavin did on that play reflected on him positively whether it was a fumble or a lateral. Regardless - he either made a mistake or the defender made a great play (but in either scenario he did not contribute in a plus way to the TD). Someone else bailed out a negative that happened while he took a snap at QB. Correct or am I missing something?
Interesting play. If that happened to a player at Rutgers, not sure that player would be given many second chances. Coincidentally, Greg briefly spoke to a group of donors before the Va Tech game, and while I forget the context, he stressed exactly what is in the video and picture I posted above about carrying the ball high and tight.

Cmon guys and gals , can’t believe this far in no one mentioned

Girl starting to mouth Mother-f—-er

And Kentucky player saying I don’t know what the hell just happened

The first post in the thread was mentioning it as forward lateral and should be illegal and not a TD. I was saying it was fumble not a lateral and fumble doesn't need to hit the ground to be considered a fumble. He lost possession therefore it's fumble, he didn't intentionally toss the ball forward.

Also a fumble can be advanced forward with some exceptions but I don't think this situation met any of those exceptions.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
1st 3 carries was for 20 yds. Next 5 was for 1 yds. I like the play they called for him on that fumble. We ran it here with KM as the lead. We can disagree on ball security. I still think the D made the play than poor ball security. I’m sure your boy Ean would’ve held on and power through that pile
Oh, let's talk about "Ean"--or Evan, as you may have meant.
Third leading passer in the MAC (IDGAS about MAC vs. SEC). Starter for third year in a row. 65.3 completion percentage 4 TDs and Zero INTs. 52 rushes for 109 yards and 2 TDs. LOL.

Here's how it's done, sport:

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy

Sure - maybe. But so what? What your suggesting is basically what our staff concluded his max capability was. Thats why he’s not our starting QB anymore. As a QB, the only semblance of passing consistency he ever showed was on first or second drive series where he had memorized a few design pass plays (using the types of throws he was most comfortable with) that worked the first time we showed them. That limited skill set is the perfect prototype for success on sporadic play opportunity. It would in no way be indicative of what could’ve been at RU or anywhere else as a primary starter. Starters need to be able to adjust to what the D gives them. He never demonstrated any ability to do that. That was the problem.

Agreed. What is a statistical anomaly (could be wrong) is that ESPN does not credit Kattus with a fumble recovery.

Detroit Lions ran a hook and ladder for a TD last week.
Amon-Brown got credit for the initial catch but Gibbs got credit the receiving yards and TD.

Only problem is that Gibbs didn’t have another catch in the game.

His official receiving stats for week 3:
0 receptions
20 receiving yards
1 receiving touchdown
N/A average yards per reception (because he didn’t have any receptions!)

The game box score doesn’t even show Gibbs under receiving section or accounts for the TD.

https://www.nfl.com/players/jahmyr-gibbs/stats/

He had 9 carries. Looks like they are using his size and legs on short yardage situations.
Playing at the highest level in the SEC. Good for him. Not sure what his future looks like but rooting for him and his ability to play in the Top 2 conferences.

Not a fumble by rules

"SECTION 2. The Ball: Live, Dead, Loose, Ready For Play
Live Ball

ARTICLE 1 A live ball is a ball in play. A pass, kick or fumble that has not yet
touched the ground is a live ball in flight"

Ole Miss is #6 team in nation (and only beat Kentucky by 3)
The Ole Miss defender who knocked ball out (Trey Washington) is a senior who lead team in tackles last year and has made SEC defender of the week (he was 8th for tackles in SEC).

Good player made a good strip in a crowded spot where defense usually recovers.
Plays like this are why RU liked the TuPu (Tush Push) - which many complain about for no good reason.

Not a fumble by rules

"SECTION 2. The Ball: Live, Dead, Loose, Ready For Play
Live Ball

ARTICLE 1 A live ball is a ball in play. A pass, kick or fumble that has not yet
touched the ground is a live ball in flight"

Ole Miss is #6 team in nation (and only beat Kentucky by 3)
The Ole Miss defender who knocked ball out (Trey Washington) is a senior who lead team in tackles last year and has made SEC defender of the week (he was 8th for tackles in SEC).

Good player made a good strip in a crowded spot where defense usually recovers.
Plays like this are why RU liked the TuPu (Tush Push) - which many complain about for no good reason.
That doesn't say it's not a fumble. It just says it's a live ball in flight, which it was.

That doesn't say it's not a fumble. It just says it's a live ball in flight, which it was.

Yes.

A Kia and a BMW are both cars.
The Tucky fumble was result of a strip and became a live ball and wasn't a "forward lateral" with regard to speculations. While still a fumble it wasn't a "opps" type. Defenders have scholarships too.

Yes.

The Tucky fumble was result of a strip and became a live ball and wasn't a "forward lateral" with regard to speculations. While still a fumble it wasn't a "opps" type. Defenders have scholarships too.
Technically it was not a strip. A strip is grabbing and ripping the ball out of the runner's arm(s). Here, Gavin was not carrying the ball high like he should have and the ball was popped out by the defender's helmet. Ball was held loose and low by Gavin.

Yes.

Sure but that’s not the issue the OP brought up. The debate was that it wasn’t a lateral, it was a fumble. How it happened whether by oops, strip or hit doesn’t matter.

Technically it was not a strip. A strip is grabbing and ripping the ball out of the runner's arm(s). Here, Gavin was not carrying the ball high like he should have and the ball was popped out by the defender's helmet. Ball was held loose and low by Gavin.

Defender performed an successful intentional act to knock ball out - that's a strip in my book (vs "oops"). Strips are still counted as fumbles statistically

FH1EolC.gif

Sure but that’s not the issue the OP brought up. The debate was that it wasn’t a lateral, it was a fumble. How it happened whether by oops, strip or hit doesn’t matter.

In OP: "I do not understand why that wasn’t cited as a forward lateral..."

Interesting play. If that happened to a player at Rutgers, not sure that player would be given many second chances. Coincidentally, Greg briefly spoke to a group of donors before the Va Tech game, and while I forget the context, he stressed exactly what is in the video and picture I posted above about carrying the ball high and tight.
Is Kenny Fletcher not getting many chances after the fumble against Va Tech?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT