ADVERTISEMENT

Over/Under for All Americans. What Do You Predict?

I’m gonna go under but hope they prove me wrong

I think Alvarez is the best chance. Heilman probably next after that and Shawver not far behind him. Turley is a wildcard and Soldano might have a chance.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I would have placed the line at 1.5
I Agree with SCNJ on the best chances,
I think we have 3 people in the blood rounds.

I am a bit of a pessimist (as always).
If Poz does not redshirt, I would move the line up to 2 (with 4 blood round wrestlers)

Yeah if setting the line it would have to be 1 or 1.5 (probably this). If I had to make a guess that’s not 1-2….I’d go with 2 because why not. Really hoping Sammy gets it done. I thought he was on the brink a few years ago at 133 before Covid cancelled the tourney.

First and foremost, I still want to see Poz wrestling at 184 this year. If he redshirts, I hope it's only because he was beaten for the spot. I listened to the entire interview he gave to (?) over the summer. I liked what I heard; it sounded to me like he still has a drive. If Poz wrestles with the same drive and intensity he did earlier on, I give him a very good chance. Should Soldano win the 184 spot and adjust well to the college level, maybe.

I don't have much to go on right now to be able to assess the rest of them. Shawver has shown growth - will he be better this year or have peaked? Alvarez has to show commitment and consistency and that he can still be competitive at 141. I'm very hopeful that White continues to impress but to AA may be a stretch.

I fear that Turley has suffered from time off and worry about a reinjury of his shoulder. I would love to see him at his best. I have the same reservations with Janzer.

My sense is maybe one AA and today I would look for it at 184. We need to see these guys in action and hope when the WTF point arrives, it isn't too bad. If starters meet starters vs Arizona State, we'll have more to go on.

Yeah, I agree that 2.5 is high and it should more than likely be 1.5.

With that being said, I would take the over with 2.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
First and foremost, I still want to see Poz wrestling at 184 this year. If he redshirts, I hope it's only because he was beaten for the spot. I listened to the entire interview he gave to (?) over the summer. I liked what I heard; it sounded to me like he still has a drive. If Poz wrestles with the same drive and intensity he did earlier on, I give him a very good chance. Should Soldano win the 184 spot and adjust well to the college level, maybe.

I don't have much to go on right now to be able to assess the rest of them. Shawver has shown growth - will he be better this year or have peaked? Alvarez has to show commitment and consistency and that he can still be competitive at 141. I'm very hopeful that White continues to impress but to AA may be a stretch.

I fear that Turley has suffered from time off and worry about a reinjury of his shoulder. I would love to see him at his best. I have the same reservations with Janzer.

My sense is maybe one AA and today I would look for it at 184. We need to see these guys in action and hope when the WTF point arrives, it isn't too bad. If starters meet starters vs Arizona State, we'll have more to go on.
You have link to Poz interview?? I’m hoping Soldano wins the 184 spot this year bc that would mean we have two legit monsters for next year and beyond.

I’m with you, I’m not sure if Shawver peaked or will be same lvl this year.. I remember when people were super high on Aguilar and then he regressed..not saying Shawver will but it’s no guarantee for wrestlers to get better every year. If Alvarez wrestles the same way he did(Sammy the bull) his fresh year taking RBY into OT… well at a more natural 141 I see huge upside potential.. it’s all up to him how far he wants to go. Yes White AA fresh is a big stretch rn but I only listed him bc he had a good RS, talented, good reports on him, and there are fresh AA every year so y not him?

Turley had an insane postseason run to AA.. it’s like he turned super saiyan(went to another level).. but before and after that he’s been wildly inconsistent.. Janzer will be solid I’m predicting another national qualifier.

We got an exciting team this year.. lots of question mark rn but also lots of upside potential..as u said we would need to go up against Arizona St or another good litmus test to see..

Under, I'll go with one and two more lose in the blood round. I've made no secret about it; I think we take a step back this year. Just too many unknowns and no proven commodities.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
You have link to Poz interview??

Reactions: KidDagger
You have link to Poz interview?? I’m hoping Soldano wins the 184 spot this year bc that would mean we have two legit monsters for next year and beyond.

I’m with you, I’m not sure if Shawver peaked or will be same lvl this year.. I remember when people were super high on Aguilar and then he regressed..not saying Shawver will but it’s no guarantee for wrestlers to get better every year. If Alvarez wrestles the same way he did(Sammy the bull) his fresh year taking RBY into OT… well at a more natural 141 I see huge upside potential.. it’s all up to him how far he wants to go. Yes White AA fresh is a big stretch rn but I only listed him bc he had a good RS, talented, good reports on him, and there are fresh AA every year so y not him?

Turley had an insane postseason run to AA.. it’s like he turned super saiyan(went to another level).. but before and after that he’s been wildly inconsistent.. Janzer will be solid I’m predicting another national qualifier.

We got an exciting team this year.. lots of question mark rn but also lots of upside potential..as u said we would need to go up against Arizona St or another good litmus test to see..
Shawver and Aguilar are apples to fish. We don’t need to go any further than that. At this point I think his floor is national qualifier so I have no worries of regression. The question is can he take the next step to being a legit top 10-20 wrestler. Shawver’s main issue is the forgotten Dean Peterson. For the first time in a while I’m hearing some good things on this guy. Problem is he has not competed in years. To sum it up, let’s just say 125 will not be a weak spot for us.

I think Sammy is a top 4 threat this year. Mark it down.

Shawver and Aguilar are apples to fish. We don’t need to go any further than that. At this point I think his floor is national qualifier so I have no worries of regression. The question is can he take the next step to being a legit top 10-20 wrestler. Shawver’s main issue is the forgotten Dean Peterson. For the first time in a while I’m hearing some good things on this guy. Problem is he has not competed in years. To sum it up, let’s just say 125 will not be a weak spot for us.

I think Sammy is a top 4 threat this year. Mark it down.
Peterson has more potential than Shaver. Shaver is a fighter. If Peterson’s head is into wrestling, he will take the spot. 141 is a weak weight class with few returning AAs, Sammy has the skills to finish 3rd or 4th. The question is can he stay committed for an entire season. Time will tell. Turley has done it before and besides from the top 5 or 6 guys at 174, Turley can beat the rest of the field. He just can’t have a casual approach to wrestling. Poz has proven he is a top 4 kid. Believe the injury had a major effect on him last year and he may have been drained by the schedule. The year he was an AA was the COVID year with a limited schedule.

We should see Alvarez, Turley, and Poz or (Soldano if he is better) AA. They all are more than capable. The coaches need to keep these guys motivated and on plan. If we get 3AAs, the coaches will have done a great job.

**On paper...

Looking at Flo's rankings @ 125 - looks like 6 "locks" , 2 spots to AA for Shawver / Peterson. I readily acknowledge that Shawver beat Mckee so the arrow is pointing up for RU at 125 but it will be no easy task. Shawver has exceeded expectations and could AA this year or next but am hopeful D Peterson lives up to his HS class rank as that would equate to a multiple time AA, perhaps high end AA

@ 141 - IMO Sammy is the best bet to AA. I believe he can hang and beat everyone in the current Flo top 8. The Weight class as a whole does not have a defined top tier as of the preseason. Maybe Cole and Real.

@ 149 - 4 "locks" for AA - Yianni/ Ridge / Gomez / Sasso - 4 open - respectfully , its going to be a challenge

@ 174 - the top tier looks to be 6 guys - I do think a healthy Turley can pull it off. Health is key esp w shoulders / back - Blood round opponent is critical

@184 - Poz will return to form. Solando , while a huge prospect , will be a challenge for a true frosh with a top tier of 4 guys.

2 will be a great year ! This year will clear out a lot of Covid Seniors , next years prospects will be much brighter.

@ 133 - 3 "Locks" for AA - RBY, Fix,Vito- 5 spots up for grabs for the next 11 ranked guys (including Heilman at 14) . In that 11, there are a couple AA s.(Lamont , Foley and Latona, maybe a couple more ) Up hill climb but def possible. Need some breaks on the backside . Im hoping the Heilman fam has another phenomenal senior campaign and finishes out his career w an AA!

Last edited:
@ 133 - 3 "Locks" for AA - RBY, Fix,Vito- 5 spots up for grabs for the next 11 ranked guys (including Heilman at 14) . In that 11, there are a couple AA s.(Lamont , Foley and Latona, maybe a couple more ) Up hill climb but def possible. Need some breaks on the backside . Im hoping the Heilman fam has another phenomenal senior campaign and finishes out his career w an AA!

I think you have to include McGee AZ state and maybe Byrd in that 133 group. Maybe not a lock but damn close to one.

Absolutely correct, gonna be a dog fight for the last 2 or 3 trophies. 8 or more previous AAs and a couple round of 12 guys.

As someone who absolutely loved Alvarez coming out of high school and is still very high on his ability, I have to agree on this. Two consecutive seasons ending the way they have has been a major bummer. Needs to break that streak and get after it! Big prove it year for him.

• Love
Alvarez did everything he could to make 133 after Rivera came in to take the 141 spot for 2 years. Last year his only option was make 133 again after COVID awarded a bonus year to Rivera and everyone else. Someone here mentioned he was able to use a redshirt year to maintain eligibility.

Keep in mind 3 years prior he was wrestling at 126 as a high school kid. 7 pounds is not a lot of room for growth for someone who had a big frame coming in and then went from an 18 year old to a 21 year old. Kid has reportedly battled the scale and some mental parts of it, and has stayed loyal to Rutgers despite 3 years of not wrestling in an NCAA tournament and 2 years of barely being able to wrestle at all. Let’s chill out with questioning his level of commitment.

Alvarez did everything he could to make 133 after Rivera came in to take the 141 spot for 2 years. Last year his only option was make 133 again after COVID awarded a bonus year to Rivera and everyone else. Someone here mentioned he was able to use a redshirt year to maintain eligibility.

Keep in mind 3 years prior he was wrestling at 126 as a high school kid. 7 pounds is not a lot of room for growth for someone who had a big frame coming in and then went from an 18 year old to a 21 year old. Kid has reportedly battled the scale and some mental parts of it, and has stayed loyal to Rutgers despite 3 years of not wrestling in an NCAA tournament and 2 years of barely being able to wrestle at all. Let’s chill out with questioning his level of commitment.
Well said and yes, people should chill out.

Reactions: mikemessner
Can't speak for anyone else, but it seems to be a valid area of concern or discussion to point out it would be great to see Sammy finish the entire season. Whether he is or is not committed to the program, that's not really something I can speak on nor was I questioning. Kid has too much talent to not want him in the lineup and wrestling in Big Tens / NCAAs.

It's a new season and a clean slate as far as I'm concerned.

Can't speak for anyone else, but it seems to be a valid area of concern or discussion to point out it would be great to see Sammy finish the entire season. Whether he is or is not committed to the program, that's not really something I can speak on nor was I questioning. Kid has too much talent to not want him in the lineup and wrestling in Big Tens / NCAAs.

It's a new season and a clean slate as far as I'm concerned.
Every year we are optimistic before the season starts and disappointed at end of the season. Agree that we should start with a clean slate. Just don’t want to be overly optimistic so I can be happily surprised after NCAAs.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
Every year we are optimistic before the season starts and disappointed at end of the season. Agree that we should start with a clean slate. Just don’t want to be overly optimistic so I can be happily surprised after NCAAs.
That's a very reasonable position. I will correct you in that the disappointment historically, or perennially, comes before the end of the season; typically the first or second time when confronted with tough competition. There are a number of things that repeat: stuck on the bottom, poor conditioning, reluctance to shoot, time and edge awareness, and injuries. It is what I've been referring to as the WTF point in the season. I summed it up in the first paragraph of my post in February:
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...inale-match-thread.235043/page-4#post-5539884
Some people don't like hearing it (Leonard responded with his giggle emoticon). When it stops happening, I'll be happy and I'll update my observations. Let's hope I'm wrong about this year.

That's a very reasonable position. I will correct you in that the disappointment historically, or perennially, comes before the end of the season; typically the first or second time when confronted with tough competition. There are a number of things that repeat: stuck on the bottom, poor conditioning, reluctance to shoot, time and edge awareness, and injuries. It is what I've been referring to as the WTF point in the season. I summed it up in the first paragraph of my post in February:
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...inale-match-thread.235043/page-4#post-5539884
Some people don't like hearing it (Leonard responded with his giggle emoticon). When it stops happening, I'll be happy and I'll update my observations. Let's hope I'm wrong about this year.
In the last 6 NCAA tourneys, we've had 13 AAs, 2 national champs, and multiple AAs each year. That's a problem and disappointing 🧐🧐? I get we all want more AAs, team trophies, and numerous elite recruits each year, but stop pretending that we're failing when we just started devoting resources to wrestling and being a top tier program the last 10 years. Many schools have a giant head start and tradition. I'll recycle an earlier post from Jan 2021...

Here's a quick comparison:
In 11 seasons at Hofstra, Tom Ryan had 11 AAs and never had a finalist (3 of those AAs came in yr 11). In his 1st 4 years at tOSU, he had 3 national champs and 15 AAs, and since then in 14 seasons has gone on to win a team title, 7 top 3 team finishes at NCAAs, had 12 individual NCAA champs and 53 AAs. In 11 seasons here, Goodale had 8 AAs, and in his 12th season, he had 2 national champs for a total of 10 AAs. [add 5 more AAs to make it 15] Did Ryan suddenly start recruiting better when he got to tOSU? If that doesn't tell you that brand, support, history, and overcoming those club and HS coach and parent biases, then I don't know what will.

Last edited:
This is a must listen. Newfound respect for this kid. Incredible wrestler but sounds like a better person from a great family.

Don't look now, but Goodale questioned his commitment during his season preview video.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT