ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just to catch up on what is going on in CFB NIL world. Portnoy offers $3mil for a QB for Michigan

So…basically…

Alumni parent willing to pay school $3M to have child, that meets all admission criteria, accepted = bad?
Random college football fan that is sports media figure and pizza connoisseur wiling to pay $3M to QB,, that like would not meet all admission criteria, to attend UM = good?
NIL didn't change the way schools adjust their admissions criteria for student athletes in revenue sports. That ship sailed long ago.

NIL is more analogous to how colleges compete for the best academic performers by putting together scholarship packages to entice students to select their school over others . Nobody complains about that.

NIL didn't change the way schools adjust their admissions criteria for student athletes in revenue sports. That ship sailed long ago.

NIL is more analogous to how colleges compete for the best academic performers by putting together scholarship packages to entice students to select their school over others . Nobody complains about that.
I don’t disagree with much of what you are saying. The point I’m making is that states are passing laws that would prevent public and private schools from giving preference in admissions to qualified students with alumni or donor ties. Yet, states don’t give a F that a multi-millionaire media figure will pay $3M to a kid that can throw a football in order to get him to UM? WTH is going on in this country?!?!

This may be true. I watch more college and high school sports than the pros because it always seemed like the purest form of competition. If college sports becomes nothing more than an arms-race backed by rich alumni/fans, the have-nots will throw in the towel and many schools and athletes will suffer as a result. FWIW, I’ve talked to some head coaches of top D1 non-revenue sports teams and they have no clue how their programs will be funded under the new settlement. They all basically said the same thing = it’s great for football and basketball but bad for other sports (with a few exceptions) unless the schools are willing to dramatically increase athletic budgets.
The NFL is a much purer form of competition than college football is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT