ADVERTISEMENT

No. 15 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts Maryland Saturday in Big Ten Finale / Match Thread

Yes, Crackers is both a villain and expert. While we often don’t like how he’s expressed things, he knows what he is taking about. When rational, he speaks the truth.

It seems that Goodale has lost his enthusiasm and passion. It seemed that he couldn’t wait to end his interview with the media.

When the year began, many thought we would beat ranked teams and have up to 6 All Americans - Alvarez, Rivera, Van Brill, Turley, Poz, and Bulsak. While that may not have been realistic, we still should have 3. Injuries happen to all teams and we didn’t have more than other teams.

If we dominate Princeton at least 7 bouts to 3 and get 3 AA the fan base should be happy. If only one AA, a coaching change should be seriously considered. Hope to see Goodale regain his enthusiasm.
Wow I'm gaining a fanbase! What's the world coming to...lol? I no way in hell want Goodale to be fired, or replaced. The guy has brought too much to the table with this program. My thoughtful and loyal side will say.. look, this team, in the late 80s early 90s probably couldn't have beaten Montclair States wrestling team. Even when I wrestled,we were terrible. Goodale gave the New Jersey wrestling fanatics something to cheer for. In his tenure, he's had multiple all Americans and 2 national champions, and has built up a staff that is a who's who of wrestling. But, my businessman/ fan side is saying, maybe he took it as far as he could. Maybe he only has the coaching ability to bring us to I'll lower teen to at best a lower single digit ranking consistently every year. For me that's fine, because I'm grateful for what he's done. But like all other new jerseyans, they want to see more. Also, he's being compensated well from the Big Ten and from Rutgers, financially so of course people are going to expect better results. Unfortunately he can't be in the same breath when it comes to a pedigree such as Cael Sanderson, Tom Brands or Tom Ryan. That's just the culture of their program. They have Legacies. We don't have anywhere near that. Ultimately I'd love to see Goody become a director of operations for wrestling or even Rutgers itself. I always felt that if Donnie got put in the head coaching position, he can let loose what he really wants to do, and that's expand recruiting Nationwide.

Didn’t say you don’t try to win duals and didn’t say they aren’t important either. But sometimes the grind has a cost to the wrestler and there are situations where a kid is medically able to go but sending him out can be detrimental to the wrestler being at his peak at year end tournaments. If your mentality is —if he’s medically cleared to wrestle we send him out, period — there will be a price for that judgement. Not in every case, but you better manage it.

i don’t have inside view or perspective but it would not surprise me if Poz was at such a point. And if sitting him out against Princeton cost us the dual but helped give him the best chance to AA this year, I’d sit him even if he’s medically cleared to wrestle.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikoru09
Basketball is drawing their best crowds in years and the fans are loud. So it is not Covid. Other than Rivera, the team is not that exciting. The home schedule was weak. We have yet to beat a higher ranked team and which wrestlers have beaten higher ranked kids. Bulsak beat the kid from Pitt and Boone may have beaten a higher ranked kid today. It is understandable why fans are not showing up.
I don't think you understand wrestling fans. Many, including season ticket holders, are not going due to the mandates. No one is bothering to get tested to go see us roll MD. The RAC was plenty full and loud with a good atmosphere for tOSU.
Goodale would have to be moved to a different position, or retire which some people here have hinted at happening in the not too distant future
This is the biggest myth on here. It's mindboggling that people still perpetuate this nonsense 5 years later

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
This is the biggest myth on here. It's mindboggling that people still perpetuate this nonsense 5 years later
It’s a myth that Ashnault or Donny would not take the job from their friend who was fired? Not sure how that’s a myth more than my belief of what would happen.

Or it’s a myth that he’s nearing retirement? That I have no idea about

So how’re we doing with the junior recruits? I’ve not heard any announced. Better get on that.

It's been crickets unfortunately which is pretty odd at this point. I'm assuming they are all in for Mullen but aside from him, the names to keep an eye on in state would be:

Sabino Portella (RBC)
Tyler Vazquez (Delbarton)
Julian George (CBA)

Also, I wonder if Anthony Santaniello comes back in play with the turmoil at OU and it's likely that Rosselli gets fired after this year.

It’s a myth that Ashnault or Donny would not take the job from their friend who was fired? Not sure how that’s a myth more than my belief of what would happen.

Or it’s a myth that he’s nearing retirement? That I have no idea about
Come on, you aren't new here. The myth is the erroneous claims that people have been making for 5 years now on here that Goodale is retiring to some associate AD job soon. 0 evidence and people just being dicks.

Yes, Crackers is both a villain and expert. While we often don’t like how he’s expressed things, he knows what he is taking about. When rational, he speaks the truth.

It seems that Goodale has lost his enthusiasm and passion. It seemed that he couldn’t wait to end his interview with the media.

When the year began, many thought we would beat ranked teams and have up to 6 All Americans - Alvarez, Rivera, Van Brill, Turley, Poz, and Bulsak. While that may not have been realistic, we still should have 3. Injuries happen to all teams and we didn’t have more than other teams.

If we dominate Princeton at least 7 bouts to 3 and get 3 AA the fan base should be happy. If only one AA, a coaching change should be seriously considered. Hope to see Goodale regain his enthusiasm.
That is utter nonsense ...if you saw him at the bench when it appeared Poz was gonna win his match when up 3-0 against Ohio state and we might beat then there certainly was enthusiasm and passion all over Goodys face which unfortunately turned in a matter of minutes when the match switched over to their favor ..to say he has lost the passion is just flat out ridiculous .

That is utter nonsense ...if you saw him at the bench when it appeared Poz was gonna win his match when up 3-0 against Ohio state and we might beat then there certainly was enthusiasm and passion all over Goodys face which unfortunately turned in a matter of minutes when the match switched over to their favor ..to say he has lost the passion is just flat out ridiculous .
Yeah this is being based on a short presser after the Maryland dual where we lost the only good bout of the day and two other guys got tossed around. Not the best performance by RU so I would imagine Goodale wasn’t thrilled. I don’t think it’s indicative of a loss of passion.

Relating to Goody has to go talk. I wonder if the recruits are coming b/c of Goody or b/c of other factors (our assistant coaches, close to home, B1G affiliation, etc). Goody has done a lot of great things, and from that, he's set for life no matter what. I do think passing of the torch can be a good thing if Goody's marginal contribution per year is not as strong as Donny. Can Donny be able to get more top recruits to stay home and come to RU? Does he have new ideas that can put into action that we don't have at this point? Who knows, but I think Goody's ceiling is around top 10-20 in the country, and as fans, we wonder if another person like Donny can bring us to top 5... Too often, we see leaders not wanting to let go when their time has come to let it go.

Rutgers wrestling and this forum repeat the same stages every year. There's the manic stage where the enthusiasm is high and the expectations great. "This is our best line up ever". The rankings look good. There is some early success mixed with unexpected disappointment. The season gets rolling and there's great disappointment, rankings drop. The forum goes into a WTF discussion and questions what's going on and some coaching criticism. That is followed by reconciliation and support for the coaching. Then the manic stage starts again with the battle cry of "just wait until next year". Repeat from beginning.

You can't fix something before understanding what's wrong or what isn't working. Replacing a coach with another to do the same thing will just generate the same results. Things can be fixed when the problems are better understood. I'm pointing out what can be easily confirmed by re-reading past year's posts. The problems with the program are systemic and will not change until there is a better understanding of what's wrong and how to fix it. Money alone will not fix anything. I've pointed to things before but I'm not going to repeat myself until there is a willingness to listen to opinions with open minds. There are some pinheads here that just attack those they disagree with (just watch). Crackers experienced a lot of that and unfortunately got pulled into it at times. I am much more about fixing the program than replacing people.

Relating to Goody has to go talk. I wonder if the recruits are coming b/c of Goody or b/c of other factors (our assistant coaches, close to home, B1G affiliation, etc). Goody has done a lot of great things, and from that, he's set for life no matter what. I do think passing of the torch can be a good thing if Goody's marginal contribution per year is not as strong as Donny. Can Donny be able to get more top recruits to stay home and come to RU? Does he have new ideas that can put into action that we don't have at this point? Who knows, but I think Goody's ceiling is around top 10-20 in the country, and as fans, we wonder if another person like Donny can bring us to top 5... Too often, we see leaders not wanting to let go when their time has come to let it go.
Nobody is saying Goody has to go. That moron Leonard keeps saying we're all dicks because we've mentioned it before. We've only made hypothetical statements. Some are more serious than others and then there's people like me, who could take him or leave him. Personally I think he's done a lot for the University, given the pedigree. But top recruits have also failed miserably underneath him and it's happened more than once or twice. More over,top transfers have been a major problem,too. We seem to get every blue-chip recruit that is totally burnt out other universities.I never understood the dynamic behind,why they gravitate to us. Camp, Lewis,Mason, just to name a few. Suriano was the only transfer that exceeded or possibly lived up to expectations. I don't want goody swept under the carpet considering all he's done. That would be a douche move. But of people are calling for a top 5 team consistently, unfortunately goody hasn't gotten us there and may never. Use cael Sanderson as an example. Took a marginal at the time, but storied team like Penn State, and brought it to Heights at never ever saw. People hear a name like Sanderson, and automatically you think top one or two recruits in the country. That's been the case. Do I think goody is is equally as good as them with respect to coaching. Absolutely! Does he carry that name to draw in top recruits! Absolutely not. That's where we lose the game. What I will say goody has actually done better statistically then a Sanderson, Ryan, and brands , if you look what he had to work with.

I re-watched a few matches this afternoon and Poz definitely looks off.

You can see him wincing at times from something that is clearly bothering him. He certainly looked sluggish as well, giving up his legs way to easily at times which is very uncharacteristic of him. I know Goody wants to beat Princeton, but hopefully he can get some time off to heal up and get his mind right as well for the B1Gs and NCAAs. I would say the grind off a full season especially without having a backup has certainly caught up with him mentally and physically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT