ADVERTISEMENT

No. 15 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts Maryland Saturday in Big Ten Finale / Match Thread

Bill or other “Insiders” or guys like Crackers,

would love to hear your opinion on what js going on with Poz? Love the kid and his story and easy too root for. Any thoughts on what is going on with him?

Some observations: seems to be having a hard time getting to his offense and even seems to be struggling some from bottom. Neither of These were issues for him prior. Haven’t seen the same Poz since the MSU match and I just remember that dump he did on Brooks that wasn’t converted but haven’t seem anything like that since that match. Great to hear what some think.

Scott
Poz is clearly not Poz and I am no expert but I feel it is mostly mental and he needs to get to his offense which has not happened. Is it the sophomore slump? Maybe. Was he dinged a bit in Michigan? A bit. When you put all of those things together, you get what we all have seen the last few bouts. He is still a young pup wrestling mostly 22-23 year old men.

Scott
Poz is clearly not Poz and I am no expert but I feel it is mostly mental and he needs to get to his offense which has not happened. Is it the sophomore slump? Maybe. Was he dinged a bit in Michigan? A bit. When you put all of those things together, you get what we all have seen the last few bouts. He is still a young pup wrestling mostly 22-23 year old men.

Poz looks like he hit the wall
IDK, he looks very stiff and slow and doesn't react, almost like he's got a back or neck injury, as he doesn't shoot much and can't scramble now. It's very odd. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IDK, he looks very stiff and slow and doesn't react, almost like he's got a back or neck injury, as he doesn't shoot much and can't scramble now. It's very odd. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah it’s more than a mental block. He’s normally impossible to take down aside from the elites, he’s been getting taken down almost at will by guys that are classes below him. Let’s not forget he had to sit out a match because of injury a week or two ago. Highly doubt he’s fully healed. I would think if we had a backup at his weight he wouldn’t have wrestled today.

Reactions: Leonard23
Attendance and atmosphere appears to be dead at the matches. Kind of weird. They really need to inject some excitement back. Maybe play some music at breaks like most arenas? The mandate rules really sucked the life out of the place.
Rutgers MBB in a huge game at the same exact time may factor in. $$$$

Scott
He was even younger last year so that can’t be it… he was very hard to take down last year… ever since Brooks majored him hasn’t looked the same… probably dinged up a lil still as he sat against Amine… prolly best just to rest any inj until conferences…

Attendance and atmosphere appears to be dead at the matches. Kind of weird. They really need to inject some excitement back. Maybe play some music at breaks like most arenas? The mandate rules really sucked the life out of the place.
Basketball is drawing their best crowds in years and the fans are loud. So it is not Covid. Other than Rivera, the team is not that exciting. The home schedule was weak. We have yet to beat a higher ranked team and which wrestlers have beaten higher ranked kids. Bulsak beat the kid from Pitt and Boone may have beaten a higher ranked kid today. It is understandable why fans are not showing up.

• Haha
He's still in Redshirt.
I would venture to say he isnt in redshirt as he is using a year of eligibility as defined by his participation in football this past season.
Yeah it’s more than a mental block. He’s normally impossible to take down aside from the elites, he’s been getting taken down almost at will by guys that are classes below him. Let’s not forget he had to sit out a match because of injury a week or two ago. Highly doubt he’s fully healed. I would think if we had a backup at his weight he wouldn’t have wrestled today.
After Poz was hurt, he hasn't been the same. There were some here that initially hinted it could have been a serious injury and he could have been out multiple matches. Makes sense whatever it was could still be affecting him.
Basketball is drawing their best crowds in years and the fans are loud. So it is not Covid. Other than Rivera, the team is not that exciting. . The home schedule was weak. We have yet to beat a higher ranked team and which wrestlers have beaten higher ranked kids. Bulsak beat the kid from Pitt and Boone may have beaten a higher ranked kid today. It is understandable why fans are not showing up.
I know he didnt wrestle today, but Olivieri is an exciting wrestler. I have been pleasantly surprised with him and would gladly fill the lineup with his type of skill/aggressiveness. Turley (out) is fun to watch too. Otherwise, I hear ya.

Bill or other “Insiders” or guys like Crackers,

would love to hear your opinion on what js going on with Poz? Love the kid and his story and easy too root for. Any thoughts on what is going on with him?

Some observations: seems to be having a hard time getting to his offense and even seems to be struggling some from bottom. Neither of These were issues for him prior. Haven’t seen the same Poz since the MSU match and I just remember that dump he did on Brooks that wasn’t converted but haven’t seem anything like that since that match. Great to hear what some think.
Wow I go from villain to bona fide expert... LOL! Seriously, there's quite a few things I like to point out. After watching Goodys interview, you can see he's concerned. Not only about Poz but the team in general. It's nice to put it in words that were moving forward and saying things like " he got back on track", but that's a coaching tactic to deter the media from questioning "what's going on with the team". I personally thought it was a very uninspiring performance with a very lackluster and crowd. We can't keep blaming covid and the "boys were just getting back". We've hit a wall as a team. Yes Clark is getting better, but to what level? Is he getting better from a pounding every week or is he getting better where he could qualify for the NCAA tournament and make some noise? Right now, outside of Rivera we don't have any sure shot All American candidates. Unlike Penn State, we are not peaking at the right time. We can't blame it on the culture of the program anymore. There has to be some sort of coaching adjustment, or training regiment. This isn't the case anymore, of the underpaid High School coach, bringing a lousy team to marginal success. That's a tired conversation/excuse, and fans want better. Everyone from Bill to Josh and others who support the program, ask our support for the skwc. But for what reason? Why would we want to invest in a team that doesn't give results for our funding? It's very well maybe, and this pains me to say it , but we may need a coaching change. I don't know any other way how to justify our stagnation, other than success starts from the top and trickles down. Regarding Poz. Look it's very hard being a teenager/ just newly twenty-year-old, with tremendous amounts of pressure to repeat on an already amazing freshman performance. I mean the freaking kid took fourth in the country! That's insane if you think about it. There is tremendous pressure on this young man to improve on already amazing performance. I would say there is a small percentage that an injury is hampering his ability , but it is definitely a mental block. It happens to every one of us. I had it happen to me, but luckily I got back on my game again. What happens sometimes wrestlers get content with the label of All-American status. The word national champ becomes very frightening and puts you at another level and overbearing pressures above being all American. Most wrestlers, even the top 8 to 3 all-americans get intimidated by that. That pressure of having a flawless performance, against arguably the toughest individuals in the country, in front of disrespectful ( ala the Austin Gomez Iowa incident) and even supportive crowds can really wear on you mentally. If I was coach, I would sit Poz down and ask him what's going on, and see if he needs a break for a little while. The kid doesn't need to continue this downward trajectory, because it only aggravates the fans and put more stress on him. Fans are ruthless, because most of them don't know what it's really like to wrestle that level. A lot of them live vicariously through these athletes, but don't realize what their words can do to an athlete mentally( I'm guilty of it too, although I wrestled competitively). Poz needs to take a little break plain and simple. I hardly think Princeton and Columbia, are going to be nail biters coming down to 184 pounds to decide the match. Maybe a little bit of R and R and talkin to a sports psychologist would do him some good.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I understand the idea behind wanting a coaching change. I disagree with it, as I think the trend is still going upwards albeit a bit slower a rate the last 2-3 years than before, but I get it.

That said, I think it’s a bit ridiculous that Goodale is still referred to as a high school coach. He’s been an NCAA coach for twice as long as his stint at Jackson.

Reactions: rubaseball78
I understand the idea behind wanting a coaching change. I disagree with it, as I think the trend is still going upwards albeit a bit slower a rate the last 2-3 years than before, but I get it.

That said, I think it’s a bit ridiculous that Goodale is still referred to as a high school coach. He’s been an NCAA coach for twice as long as his stint at Jackson.
If you read my excerpt properly, you would see that I am saying that he's not a high school coach anymore. I was alluding to the fact that he is a Bonafide Big Ten coach, but yet is not getting the results, as such.

If you read my excerpt properly, you would see that I am saying that he's not a high school coach anymore. I was alluding to the fact that he is a Bonafide Big Ten coach, but yet is not getting the results, as such.
I read your post entirely, I was actually agreeing with you on that point. I disagree with wanting to change coaches but I get where you and others are coming from.

I think everyone knows Ashnault is probably the next head coach. The problem is, would he be willing to take over immediately if Goodale were to be fired? They are super close and I personally wouldn’t want to take the job that way. Goodale would have to be moved to a different position, or retire which some people here have hinted at happening in the not too distant future.

I read your post entirely, I was actually agreeing with you on that point. I disagree with wanting to change coaches but I get where you and others are coming from.

I think everyone knows Ashnault is probably the next head coach. The problem is, would he be willing to take over immediately if Goodale were to be fired? They are super close and I personally wouldn’t want to take the job that way. Goodale would have to be moved to a different position, or retire which some people here have hinted at happening in the not too distant future.
Pretty sure Donny would get it before Ashnault.

I would venture to say he isnt in redshirt as he is using a year of eligibility as defined by his participation in football this past season.
I would venture to say he still is since no matter what you have 5 to play 4. You never know what's going to happen.

Pretty sure Donny would get it before Ashnault.
I don’t think he wants it, but in either event both guys are in the same situation. They’re close with Goodale and I don’t think they’d want to take the job from him if he’s fired. Stepping down or changing positions is a different story.

I can't see Goodale ever being fired.
We are 1 year away from the most AA's during a season.
Lets hope Jeff Buxton can bring some buzz back into the program.
All it takes is 1 or 2 BIG GUNS to get on board.

Next year is key for development
Shawver/Peterson/raimo/Alvarez/Turley/Poz/Soldano (if no resdhirt)

We need to get at least 2 All Americans form that group (Which is acheivable)

2 all Americans a year should be an "OK" Season.
Goody has set that bar a few years ago, time to elevate the bar

Donny P is top dog coach. Ashnault has show his impact with the team (in the top position)

Last edited:
I would venture to say he still is since no matter what you have 5 to play 4. You never know what's going to happen.
Correct Football eligibility has no bearing on wrestling eligibility......It was reported by James Kratch that Hamilton did wrestle attached at the mat town open. Also this was on the RU wrestling website....Rutgers wrestling sent several student-athletes to compete at the Mat Town Open on Saturday at Lock Haven University. Kyonte Hamilton (second), Michael Cetta (second), Tony White (second, unattached), Niccolo Colucci (third, unattached) and Nico Messina (fourth) all placed at the tournament, which served as the varsity debut for Hamilton.

So sounds like his redshirt has been pulled.

Correct Football eligibility has no bearing on wrestling eligibility......It was reported by James Kratch that Hamilton did wrestle attached at the mat town open. Also this was on the RU wrestling website....Rutgers wrestling sent several student-athletes to compete at the Mat Town Open on Saturday at Lock Haven University. Kyonte Hamilton (second), Michael Cetta (second), Tony White (second, unattached), Niccolo Colucci (third, unattached) and Nico Messina (fourth) all placed at the tournament, which served as the varsity debut for Hamilton.

Being that his eligibility this year was used in football, that does affect wrestling the way I understand it. He has five years of eligibility to play four once admitted to college. The clock is ticking and his freshman year was used. I never heard a RS being sport specific if multiple sports are played. Otherwise, why would Goodale spend a redshirt on wrestling attached in tournaments? Can anyone here definitively clarify this?

Being that his eligibility this year was used in football, that does affect wrestling the way I understand it. He has five years of eligibility to play four once admitted to college. The clock is ticking and his freshman year was used. I never heard a RS being sport specific if multiple sports are played. Otherwise, why would Goodale spend a redshirt on wrestling attached in tournaments? Can anyone here definitively clarify this?
You can choose not to believe me, but I am telling you that Football and Wrestling have no bearing on each other. He has 5 years to compete 4 times in both sports. For either sport it does not matter when the redshirt is used.

If true than I have no idea what the plan for him is. I'm not a coach but seems like a waste to have him wrestle in one tournament and 4 matches for the year.

But regarding the 5 to play 4 rule for @LETSGORU91, yes, his clock has started that's not in dispute.
Let's say he completes all 4 yrs. of eligibility in 4 yrs. of that clock in football.
But he only finishes 3 yrs. of eligibility of wrestling in that 4yrs. period
He can still come back for that 4th yr. in wrestling during that 5 year clock.
After that one must apply for extended eligibility and clock.

Last edited:
It is always possible Kyonte red shirts in football.
Maybe coach decides to use him in 4 games one year (against OSU/MIch/PSU) and that is it.
Allow another year to grow into his body. He is still a youngin

It is always possible Kyonte red shirts in football.
Maybe coach decides to use him in 4 games one year (against OSU/MIch/PSU) and that is it.
Allow another year to grow into his body. He is still a youngin
It's reported Hollin Pierce will be redshirting this year and he started last year. They were so successful in recruiting the Portal for tackles that they want him to get stronger for the following year. They don't want to waste a year of eligibility as they still believe he has a bright future and will be even better after the redshirt.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Yes, Crackers is both a villain and expert. While we often don’t like how he’s expressed things, he knows what he is taking about. When rational, he speaks the truth.

It seems that Goodale has lost his enthusiasm and passion. It seemed that he couldn’t wait to end his interview with the media.

When the year began, many thought we would beat ranked teams and have up to 6 All Americans - Alvarez, Rivera, Van Brill, Turley, Poz, and Bulsak. While that may not have been realistic, we still should have 3. Injuries happen to all teams and we didn’t have more than other teams.

If we dominate Princeton at least 7 bouts to 3 and get 3 AA the fan base should be happy. If only one AA, a coaching change should be seriously considered. Hope to see Goodale regain his enthusiasm.

• Haha
Yes, Crackers is both a villain and expert. While we often don’t like how he’s expressed things, he knows what he is taking about. When rational, he speaks the truth.

It seems that Goodale has lost his enthusiasm and passion. It seemed that he couldn’t wait to end his interview with the media.

When the year began, many thought we would beat ranked teams and have up to 6 All Americans - Alvarez, Rivera, Van Brill, Turley, Poz, and Bulsak. While that may not have been realistic, we still should have 3. Injuries happen to all teams and we didn’t have more than other teams.

If we dominate Princeton at least 7 bouts to 3 and get 3 AA the fan base should be happy. If only one AA, a coaching change should be seriously considered. Hope to see Goodale regain his enthusiasm.
If that's the case then he should step down. But I doubt that's the case.

I hate to say it, but Princeton is going to very tough. They're not going to be a pushover by any means and if Poz is in his funk still then, who knows what happens. I got them winning 125, 157, 174, 197 and heavyweight. Hope I'm wrong! And I realize O'Neil already beat his matchup, but he looks awful out there. Still haven't seen him sprawl once. Stout is a beast. Boone is Boone; until he wrestles for 7 minutes you just don't know what you'll be getting.

Last edited:
We make too much about these duals. Main focus should be on getting ready for big 10 and NCAAs. If guys are hurt or mentally fatigued got to get them fresh.

With respect to Poz, he’s freshmen so getting used to the grind, especially if there’s an injury in play. Last year he may have benefited from the reduced season

Last edited:
We make too much about these duals. Main focus should be on getting ready for big 10 and NCAAs. If guys are hurt or mentally fatigued got to get them fresh.

With respect to Poz, he’s freshmen so getting used to the grind, especially if there’s an injury in play. Last year he may have benefited from the reduced season
The duals are a large part of preparing for the post-season.

If we aren’t going to try to win duals, I might as well give up my tickets and donations. If that is the case, Goodale should say so.
Also Princeton just lost to Penn. I don’t want to see Humphrey and Dubuque laughing at us on our home turf.

If we aren’t going to try to win duals, I might as well give up my tickets and donations. If that is the case, Goodale should say so.
Also Princeton just lost to Penn. I don’t want to see Humphrey and Dubuque laughing at us on our home turf.
Yes, I'd rather see Humphrey sulking in tears.

Crackers: You made some good points. I may elaborate later when I have more time if I think it's safe to do so. It's interesting how your demeanor has changed since your identity was revealed and how others are now more receptive. There's just one question remaining: do you really live in a trailer? :-)

Yes you get 5 years from the moment you enroll to play 4 years of each sport, with medical and Olympic red shirts being exceptions. Your 4 years in one sport have no bearing on any other sport though, aside from the 5 year window.

Years ago Greg Paulus played four years of basketball at Duke and then grad transferred and was able to play QB at Syracuse for 1 year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT