ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12……

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
In my opinion the PAC 12 is far superior to the B1G top to bottom.
All 4 teams the BIG invited will play at the level of our 3 elite teams.
The teams they leave behind especially Utah would beat all the 2nd level teams in the BIG.

Think you are unfortunately correct on this . The 4 teams added bring history, fans and quality to the conference. The level of these teams , talent and $$$$ is what makes them equal to those 4-5 teams already in the B1G. We have now entered a place where most Rutgers fans never thought possible. In the future ,I think like many others do , there will be another split off of those underfunded programs. Not sure this bodes well here in NJ ?

nah…only one of the four (USC) be a factor in conf championship hunt most years. The other three will be average teams.

And Utah is the best team in the current Pac10, not second tier

Reactions: cicero grimes
I think UCLA and Washington are more on the second level. But, yeah, the B1G is bringing in four strong teams. Makes the climb out of the basement of the league that much tougher. Good news is if we can become competitive and exciting to watch, we have marquee games all season.

People are keeping an eye out for the QB play in the PAC this year. Something the B10 lacks for the most part. Caleb Williams, Penix Jr, DJU, Bo Nix...some solid to very good offense in the PAC as well.

You might not think it because Whittingham is a tough hard nosed defensive coach but Utah was ranked 22 and 40 in YPG in their Rose Bowl years and 23 and 22 in YPP. They were 11 and 14 in scoring offense.

Like I've said often here, productive offense is imperative to outperform your status on the landscape.

People are keeping an eye out for the QB play in the PAC this year. Something the B10 lacks for the most part. Caleb Williams, Penix Jr, DJU, Bo Nix...some solid to very good offense in the PAC as well.

You might not think it because Whittingham is a tough hard nosed defensive coach but Utah was ranked 22 and 40 in YPG in their Rose Bowl years and 23 and 22 in YPP. They were 11 and 14 in scoring offense.

Like I've said often here, productive offense is imperative to outperform your status on the landscape.
Which is why Schiano is the wrong coach for this era.

The teams they leave behind especially Utah would beat all the 2nd level teams in the BIG.
superior, probably, "far superior," I'm going to be my old self and argue a bit here.

B1G Bottom Feeders and Mediocres: Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Maryland (until recently)
PAC12 Bottom Feeders and mediocres: Washington State (only good when Leach was there), Cal, Oregon State (until recently), Stanford, ASU, Arizona

I'd say that's a push on bottom feeders and mediocres.

Top of the conference- think the B1G wins here, particularly the B1G East beasts of Michigan, tOSU, Michigan, and throw in Wisconsin, who fell off the last few years. Don't think the PAC12 has that caliber of teams at the top?

nah…only one of the four (USC) be a factor in conf championship hunt most years. The other three will be average teams.

And Utah is the best team in the current Pac10, not second tier
Oregon, Washington will be right there with our B1G three, it’s a joke you would consider them average in our league.
USC will vie for Natty this year

Reactions: tomatocan
Big 10 in football has always been about the 3 big bad schools. At times you have Wisconsin, Sparty and Iowa being good. Then there’s a big drop off in talent.

PAC has 5-6 really good schools this year as well in football - 4 who are joining Big 10 next year.

Conferences are at par with each other in football

Overall including basketball - the big 10 conference needs to recruit better athletes. It always appears to me that the conference lacks some “it” factor causing continued embarrassments in March Madness and losing in football playoffs every year since 15 or 16 or thereabouts.

superior, probably, "far superior," I'm going to be my old self and argue a bit here.

B1G Bottom Feeders and Mediocres: Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Maryland (until recently)
PAC12 Bottom Feeders and mediocres: Washington State (only good when Leach was there), Cal, Oregon State (until recently), Stanford, ASU, Arizona

I'd say that's a push on bottom feeders and mediocres.

Top of the conference- think the B1G wins here, particularly the B1G East beasts of Michigan, tOSU, Michigan, and throw in Wisconsin, who fell off the last few years. Don't think the PAC12 has that caliber of teams at the top?
Stanford, ASU, Arizona beat our 2nd tier imo

Reactions: Knight Shift
R.I.P. PAC-12
who knows, maybe a new conference rises from the ashes of all this?
GO RU !! kick the purple out of NW

Currently, the PAC 12 is a very deep football conf. Personally, I think Utah is right at the top. Also, Oregon St is very good, it’s terrible the situation they are in. USC, UCLA, Oregon and Wash could all make noise in the B1G. I’m not sold on USC defensively. The HC is an offensive guru, his teams at OU got progressively worse defensively. Keep an eye on Wash this year, think they could be a surprise.

Stanford, ASU, Arizona beat our 2nd tier imo
Disagree. Think Washington and UCLA are similar to the second tier like Wisconsin, Iowa.

Stanford, ASU, Arizona would be similar to our 3rd tier.

Oregon and USC will be right there with the top of the conference though.

Reactions: tomatocan
Currently, the PAC 12 is a very deep football conf. Personally, I think Utah is right at the top. Also, Oregon St is very good, it’s terrible the situation they are in. USC, UCLA, Oregon and Wash could all make noise in the B1G. I’m not sold on USC defensively. The HC is an offensive guru, his teams at OU got progressively worse defensively. Keep an eye on Wash this year, think they could be a surprise.
That's why I always say a strong offense with just about a mediocre defense and you have a chance to make some noise like say TCU last year.

But there are times where a strong offense with a lousy defense can still get by on the back of the offensive output but it's harder. WF in the recent past comes to mind.

OU did improve in Alex Grinch's first year I think they jumped quite a bit but then kind of slipped back after. Last year they improved with getting TOs at USC but still too many mistakes. It's enough to get them a bunch of wins and possibly even playoff appearances but not enough to win a championship which is their goal.

Disagree. Think Washington and UCLA are similar to the second tier like Wisconsin, Iowa.

I think Iowa is going to slip as the conference gets more offensive. I think they've been able to work that old school B10 mentality being in the west and with the B10 not really having many offensive teams outside of OSU. With stronger offenses coming on board, I get the feeling the B10 will undergo a similar change like the SEC did. IMO it's going to be hard for a team like Iowa to just rely on their defense as more potent offenses join the fray.

Reactions: rotorocker

I think Stanford, ASU and Arizona whip our 3rd tier!
Good sports talk 😊

But you only referenced the best teams, none of which has been close to winning a NC for some time. The PAC 12 has plenty of bottom dwellers and mediocre teams. Cal hasn't exactly been on fire for a long time, the Arizona teams, Colorado, Oregon state, etc. UCLA has been bad much more than good for a long time.

First off, it’s the PAC-2, not the PAC-12. You may be correct that on the field, the 6-10 schools of the old PAC are better than the BIG. But they had a shitty TV deal and so no longer exists as a conference. The lesson to be learned here is that the $$$ is more important than the quality of thr product.

I think Stanford, ASU and Arizona whip our 3rd tier!
Good sports talk 😊
You do realize Stanford and ASU were 3-9 last year and Arizona 5-7. Even in their good years, these teams are like 7-5 or 8-4 type teams at best. They are no better than the Minnesota's, Purdue's, Maryland's.

Reactions: PaKnight
You do realize Stanford and ASU were 3-9 last year and Arizona 5-7. Even in their good years, these teams are like 7-5 or 8-4 type teams at best. They are no better than the Minnesota's, Purdue's, Maryland's.
And Arizona was 1-11/1-8 in 2021 and 5-7/3-6 under NJ's Jedd Fisch. In 2022, hammered by Cal, Oregon Utah. Who'd they beat, the 2 bottom teams in the conference. Credit them for beating UCLA.

Arizona St barely got by that FCS powerhouse Southern Utah at home 24-21 last night. Southern Utah was 1-10 in 2021 and 5-6 in 2022

Ucla is not close to OSU and Mich nevermind PSU.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I think UCLA and Washington are more on the second level. But, yeah, the B1G is bringing in four strong teams. Makes the climb out of the basement of the league that much tougher. Good news is if we can become competitive and exciting to watch, we have marquee games all season.
UCLA 2nd level? Do you actually know their history in sports? It ‘s just not football… campus… girls… location… high school talent… Academics …We only wish we were that level Or 2nd tier.

Rising tide lifts all boats. See the SEC & why they do so well come playoff time.

Additional competition will be good for B1G

Oregon, Washington will be right there with our B1G three, it’s a joke you would consider them average in our league.
USC will vie for Natty this year

Not average, but not the equal to the B1G three.

UCLA 2nd level? Do you actually know their history in sports? It ‘s just not football… campus… girls… location… high school talent… Academics …We only wish we were that level Or 2nd tier.
Zap is clearly just talking about football.

I remember in 2015 or so that Stanford kicked our (Maryland) tails badly in a bowl game. It was men vs. boys...

USC and Oregon, in particular, will be exciting additions to the B1G with their offense. Hopefully, over time, the B1G doesn’t drag these programs backwards with, for the most part, its run-happy plodding style. Fortunately, I don’t think this will happen.

as someone else pointed out, we are talking about football only. I see them on the same tier as Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan State (though they have fallen a lot the last few years).

Zap is right. I have lived on the left coast for the last 23 years and have watched both PAC 12 and Big 10 games with great interest. “Watch” is key. PAC 12 games are so much more watchable. Skill position players.-QB, WR, RB are far superior. Of late, the top 3 in the Big 10 may be a cut above the best in the PAC 12, but Zap is right that from the middle down the west is best. UW, SC and the Ducks will go toe to toe with the best in the Big 10. Oregon State was the Rutgers of the PAC 12. What a turnaround.

The Big 10 doesn’t have a recruiting area like California and that is the big difference. Football players take football instead of physical education and they do something football related.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT