ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State FIRES Their OC

That’s 0-2 in their book.
I think the prism through which things are viewed will change with playoff expansion. I think Franklin would have made a 12 team playoff 5 times.

Paul Chryst at Wisconsin might have been viewed differently as well. He would’ve made the playoffs like 3 times.

I think the prism through which things are viewed will change with playoff expansion. I think Franklin would have made a 12 team playoff 5 times.

Paul Chryst at Wisconsin might have been viewed differently as well. He would’ve made the playoffs like 3 times.
Not if it means PSU goes 0-3.

Maybe, maybe not. He might make the playoffs but if he can't beat a team more talented/ranked higher, its the same result for PSU.

"you made the playoffs" is the same in that situation as making a NYD bowl. The Nitwits want a conference championship (at least the fans -- the admin might be good with what they have). But Franklin has a large contract that prevents change.

Maybe, maybe not. He might make the playoffs but if he can't beat a team more talented/ranked higher, its the same result for PSU.

"you made the playoffs" is the same in that situation as making a NYD bowl. The Nitwits want a conference championship (at least the fans -- the admin might be good with what they have). But Franklin has a large contract that prevents change.
NYD bowls are “meaningless” these days unless they’re part of the playoffs. Players sit out of them even.

With 4 teams they basically had no chance at the national championship. At 12 while they still might not win it, theoretically the chance is there and it isn’t zero. Even if they don’t win it, just advancing a round or two gives some satisfaction while right now there’s none for a conference championship and no theoretical chance at a national championship and NYD bowls are largely just for show. It would be like advancing to the sweet 16 or elite 8 in the NCAA tourney which is still a meaningful accomplishment to hang your hat on even if you don’t with the whole thing.

This isn’t just for Franklin. I gave the example of Chryst as well. Any coach now who had been falling short of the 4 team playoff where the season may feel anticlimactic in a “meaningless” bowl has a chance for a “meaningful” accomplishment in the future.

NYD bowls are “meaningless” these days unless they’re part of the playoffs. Players sit out of them even.

With 4 teams they basically had no chance at the national championship. At 12 while they still might not win it, theoretically the chance is there and it isn’t zero. Even if they don’t win it, just advancing a round or two gives some satisfaction while right now there’s none for a conference championship and no theoretical chance at a national championship and NYD bowls are largely just for show. It would be like advancing to the sweet 16 or elite 8 in the NCAA tourney which is still a meaningful accomplishment to hang your hat on even if you don’t with the whole thing.

This isn’t just for Franklin. I gave the example of Chryst as well. Any coach now who had been falling short of the 4 team playoff where the season may feel anticlimactic in a “meaningless” bowl has a chance for a “meaningful” accomplishment in the future.
I'll caveat this and say though if Franklin or whomever were to say get upset by a G5 a couple times too many say in a 5-12 matchup or what not well that would also carry some grief with it. I suppose too many first round exits could as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT