ADVERTISEMENT

Penn state will be tough

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
This will be a tough game . As I posted earlier in the week , there was a strong possibility we beat Indiana and lose to Penn state . They almost took down Illinois last night and handled us earlier this season . We need to come out focused and ready to go . That means us fans too . Pack the Rac.

Penn State is a low scoring team similar to Rutgers.They take lots of 3 point shots and Harrar is effective scoring around the basket.All the pressure will be on Rutgers because its the last game of the season and making the NCAA Tournament is dependent on a win.

I worry only because these are the type teams we play poorly against. I don’t know why but we so often come out flat against these bottom teams and shoot poorly. We need to treat them as if they are the Illini or Purdue.

My other concern is the student section will be going nuts with their “F**K Penn State “ Chants which will motivate Penn State more as well as playing in front of an insane crowd which PSU doesn’t do much.
Game will be very tough and in typical RU fashion - game will come down to last minute.
We will prevail and win !

We’ve had a tough time all season getting the job done in games “we’re supposed to win”. And PSU has been a problem for us the past few years. Biggest reasons I’m nervous for this one.

Reflecting on the loss at their place - not having Mag available to sub in for Caleb who was in foul trouble the whole game was definitely a factor. Will help to get out depth back there (provided Paul isn’t suspended).

Ron also played one of his worst games in an RU uniform at PSU. It wasn’t just on offense. Lee also schooled him on the glass (12 rebounds).

Finally - We’re not going to win too many games where neither Ron nor any of our starting guards (Geo, Paul, Caleb) score in double figures. If it’s one of those days where nothing falls for us from deep - it will, like all season, be hard to win unless PSU has a similar type of day (Iowa type game).

Reactions: Scangg
Totally agree. We have the best student section in the country, but I'm afraid the F Penn State chants are going to get out of hand. It's funny to some but totally unnecessary, and will make RU look classless in a HUGE national game. Just don't.

This is really no different than most conference games. Every game in the BIG is typically a tough game.

Reactions: Dpgru
This will be a tough game . As I posted earlier in the week , there was a strong possibility we beat Indiana and lose to Penn state . They almost took down Illinois last night and handled us earlier this season . We need to come out focused and ready to go . That means us fans too . Pack the Rac.
No BS, no excuses, no nonsense. If this team has any character and heart, it will be an easy win at the RAC.

would be nice to get out to a lead and hold them off. It's been hard watching these games where Rutgers has had to dig its way out of a hole...it's only succeeded at it in 1 of the last 4 games. And it's been grueling to watch.

Reactions: Plum Street
This is really no different than most conference games. Every game in the BIG is typically a tough game.
Except oddly PSU has had our number and it appears to be the only game they actually care about.

Although I agree with the F Penn State sentiment, not a fan of the cheer and am by no means a prude, but we should be classier than that.

Penn State is one of the more physical teams, they play hard in your face defense. Makes it tough to score, they cause turnovers. We have to be very smart with the ball, and make some tough shots. A good start would help a lot, get the crowd going and build momentum.

Penn State is one of the more physical teams, they play hard in your face defense. Makes it tough to score, they cause turnovers. We have to be very smart with the ball, and make some tough shots. A good start would help a lot, get the crowd going and build momentum.
We don't really cause turnovers (we're 352nd out of 358 based on Pomeroy's numbers in creating turnovers). It's basically the exact opposite philosophy of Chambers' PSU teams, where those teams would pick up 94 feet, overplay passing lanes, take chances, etc. Shrewsberry has them playing positional defense, doubling a lot in the post, packing it in, etc. 18th in the country in 2 point defense, but 267th in 3 point defense.

It's been all about slowing games down...but that means we score very few easy baskets at the offensive end. Little to no transition, Harrar and Lee don't really post up and take guys on the block too often. They've been inverting the offense some and posting up Pickett on smaller guards, but that doesn't really come into play on Sunday.

Reactions: Rutgers25
We don't really cause turnovers (we're 352nd out of 358 based on Pomeroy's numbers in creating turnovers). It's basically the exact opposite philosophy of Chambers' PSU teams, where those teams would pick up 94 feet, overplay passing lanes, take chances, etc. Shrewsberry has them playing positional defense, doubling a lot in the post, packing it in, etc. 18th in the country in 2 point defense, but 267th in 3 point defense.

It's been all about slowing games down...but that means we score very few easy baskets at the offensive end. Little to no transition, Harrar and Lee don't really post up and take guys on the block too often. They've been inverting the offense some and posting up Pickett on smaller guards, but that doesn't really come into play on Sunday.
We committed 15 turnovers I believe in the game at PSU.

But your point is taken. I just always associated PSU as a physical defensive team.

I worry only because these are the type teams we play poorly against. I don’t know why but we so often come out flat against these bottom teams and shoot poorly. We need to treat them as if they are the Illini or Purdue.
Agree & absolutely.

It seems like things have gone sideways for psu when the opponent makes some shots so duh like always we need to make some shots.

Penn State is just so physical. We must match that. They beat us good at State College this season and their students were on Geo very hard all game. I don't mind hearing our students get on Penn State as well but I hope it is not so obscene. As someone else said, we need to be classier. I just hope we can get the win. GO RU. Let's have a fun and enjoyable Senior Day.

Reactions: Rutgers36
Very close losses to Michigan at Illinois at Wisconsin. This like every big team is a dangerous opponent.

We crush them early and never let them up. Roll, Rutgers, roll: RU 80, PSU 63

Luke Nathan: 4 pts, 3 boards.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Penn State is much better than their record. Their physical play will cause problems for our school's team. The game would be very nice to win but it's not a must win game. However, losing this game would put the pressure of winning at least 2 games in the B1G tournament.

No BS, no excuses, no nonsense. If this team has any character and heart, it will be an easy win at the RAC.
This. Tournament teams win in "Win & Get In" situations.

We had a clutch comeback win to take the huge pressure of a losing streak off. I think that the team will come into this game with focus and aggression.

Agree now, but not sure if my 18 year old self would agree. Or if he would have just thought it was funny after having some beers pre-game.

Would rather hear that chant from racous student section, than have silent section and here We are penn st. from visiting fans

Learned lesson for this Rutgers team … nothing is easy… nothing is a guaranteed especially in sports. You have an advantage of the HOME court JMAC -RAC make it worthwhile. Don’t play scared . Play tough, physical and with purpose. If you do that then everything else takes care of itself. We alums and fans have your backs. GO RUTGERS!!!!!!!!!!

I believe we’ve lost 4 straight to them. Streak ends! (Praying)
Where are you getting this from? I guess technically it’s 3 straight but last year we only played them on the road. We split with them the prior two years 2018-19 and 2019-20.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT