ADVERTISEMENT

Penn state will be tough

Penn State is much better than their record. Their physical play will cause problems for our school's team. The game would be very nice to win but it's not a must win game. However, losing this game would put the pressure of winning at least 2 games in the B1G tournament.
Agree with this, but note that their style of play tends to be heavily impacted by how the whistles blow. There’s a reason they only have one road win.

Reactions: DirtyRU and Kbee3
Bad info from a friends text. It’s 3 game losing streak

We will know in the first 5 minutes if we can win this game or not, last time we struggled to get good looks.
That's what people said about Indiana too. The game is never decided in the first 5 min. The game is too long. You can give yourself a much better chance to win but there is just too much bball left to play

Penn. St. Desperately wants to control clock, want the game in the 50-60's. Each possession becomes critical and you must play all the way through the 30. Interesting thing Illinois did with Harrer, when he came out to the high post they backed off him, closed down the lanes for the cutters, and let him have all the 15-18 ft jump shots he wanted, he was pretty much left standing by himself 18 ft from the basket, also completely killed the pick and roll and a lot of their motion offense. He never even considered taking a jump shot

Reactions: RUPete
Last 5 games rotation for Penn State:

186 min (37.2/g) - Jalen Pickett, 14.8 pts, 4.4 rb, 5.4 ast, 1.8 stl, 1.2 blk, 2.2 tov
150 min (30.0/g) - Seth Lundy, 8.8 pts, 3.8 rb
135 min (27.0/g) - John Harrar, 9.6 pts, 11.4 rb
129 min (25.8/g) - Dallion Johnson, 8.6 pts, 2.0 rb
121 min (24.2/g) - Myles Dread, 5.8 pts, 3.0 rb
44 min (22.0/g) - Greg Lee, 7.0 pts, 3.5 rb (in 3 games - he missed most of February)
102 min (20.4/g) - Sam Sessoms, 9.8 pts, 1.4 rb, 2.2 ast, 2.2 tov
39 min (9.8/g) - Jaheam Cornwall, 0.5 pts, 0.3 rb (in 4 games, missed their last game)
22 min (7.3/g) - Jevonnie Scott, 1.3 pts, 2.3 rb (in 3 games, missed their last 2)
35 min (7.0/g) - Caleb Dorsey, 1.6 pts, 0.8 rb
21 min (4.2/g) - Jalanni White, 1.0 pts, 0.8 rb

Anyone know if Cornwall or Scott are injured, or if their DNP was coach's decision?

Last 5 games rotation for Penn State:

186 min (37.2/g) - Jalen Pickett, 14.8 pts, 4.4 rb, 5.4 ast, 1.8 stl, 1.2 blk, 2.2 tov
150 min (30.0/g) - Seth Lundy, 8.8 pts, 3.8 rb
135 min (27.0/g) - John Harrar, 9.6 pts, 11.4 rb
129 min (25.8/g) - Dallion Johnson, 8.6 pts, 2.0 rb
121 min (24.2/g) - Myles Dread, 5.8 pts, 3.0 rb
44 min (22.0/g) - Greg Lee, 7.0 pts, 3.5 rb (in 3 games - he missed most of February)
102 min (20.4/g) - Sam Sessoms, 9.8 pts, 1.4 rb, 2.2 ast, 2.2 tov
39 min (9.8/g) - Jaheam Cornwall, 0.5 pts, 0.3 rb (in 4 games, missed their last game)
22 min (7.3/g) - Jevonnie Scott, 1.3 pts, 2.3 rb (in 3 games, missed their last 2)
35 min (7.0/g) - Caleb Dorsey, 1.6 pts, 0.8 rb
21 min (4.2/g) - Jalanni White, 1.0 pts, 0.8 rb

Anyone know if Cornwall or Scott are injured, or if their DNP was coach's decision?
Coach’s decision…

Scott was playing while Lee was out. But with Lee back, he’s really just depth.

Cornwall’s minutes have gone to Dallion Johnson. Cornwall is a spot up shooter that’s been in a season long shooting slump…Johnson has the same role, but is hitting shots.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Penn. St. Desperately wants to control clock, want the game in the 50-60's. Each possession becomes critical and you must play all the way through the 30. Interesting thing Illinois did with Harrer, when he came out to the high post they backed off him, closed down the lanes for the cutters, and let him have all the 15-18 ft jump shots he wanted, he was pretty much left standing by himself 18 ft from the basket, also completely killed the pick and roll and a lot of their motion offense. He never even considered taking a jump shot
Pretty much everyone defends Harrar that way…he won’t shoot from outside 12 feet, and won’t drive. But he’s playing a point-forward type of role where the offense will run through him at the top of the key, then he’ll roll and crash the boards.

That's what people said about Indiana too. The game is never decided in the first 5 min. The game is too long. You can give yourself a much better chance to win but there is just too much bball left to play
I didn't mean that we will win or lose the game in the first 5 minutes, but usually you can tell if its going to be a long game or a game we should win by the time its over.

In our first meeting you could see right away we were going to struggle to score vs their defense

Great observation. I noticed many possessions bogging down or resulting in lower percentage shots.

Home game
Rival school
Revenge game- 3 straight losses
Senior night
NCAA bid on the line

There is no excuse to come out flat. We come out with energy and take it to them
If Geo doesn't light it up and give maximum effort in his final game after 5 years I may run into the court.
I'm hoping for some RAC magic and an early celebration. they need to crush these guys.

If Geo doesn't light it up and give maximum effort in his final game after 5 years I may run into the court.
I'm hoping for some RAC magic and an early celebration. they need to crush these guys.
I know Geo has been up and down, but we have no chance in the OSU game and we have no chance to come back in the Wisconsin game at home without him. I think he’ll show up. And I don’t want to see you run on the court - it would be a technical. 😉

Reactions: Kbee3
I know Geo has been up and down, but we have no chance in the OSU game and we have no chance to come back in the Wisconsin game at home without him. I think he’ll show up. And I don’t want to see you run on the court - it would be a technical. 😉
Yeah. I'm rooting for him. We need it. Not trashing. If I'm on the court a technical wouldn't matter by then. But I'd likely run out of breath before I got there anyway.

Reactions: RUPete
Here's a thought. I could wear a PSU t shirt underneath and run onto the court getting them a T? Not sure how I'd deal with the rash afterwards though.

My other concern is the student section will be going nuts with their “F**K Penn State “ Chants which will motivate Penn State more as well as playing in front of an insane crowd which PSU doesn’t do much.
Game will be very tough and in typical RU fashion - game will come down to last minute.
We will prevail and win !
^ This all day

Sagarin has it as #57 Rutgers (81.54) over #75 Penn State (79.95) by roughly 5 points at the RAC.

Reactions: Scangg
Pedd State is 4 and 9 over their last 13 games.
They've also lost their last 7 road games.

If a superior Duke team can get wiped out in Coach K’s final game at Cameron, then you certainly cannot take for granted a victory vs. Penn State tomorrow. Gotta play hard and smart from the opening tip and for all 40 minutes.
This…it’s easy to get too amped up. However, I don’t think that’s been a problem with this team. Penn State worries me but if we play our game, we win.

Reactions: Kbee3 and RUChoppin
The results today show you how crazy this sport is this time of year . All the pressure is on us tomorrow . It will not be easy

Huge game. PSU is tough. Attack them and see if we get a friendly home whistle. Harrar foul trouble would obviously be big.

I think we see a focused determined Paul. The flagrant was boiling up to that point over a few games. It was a blessing in disguise and made him refocus on playing ball and not antics and refs

Wonder if we are hosting any BB or Football recruiting targets at the game. Has to be a great atmosphere for showing the RU enthusiasm!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT