ADVERTISEMENT

Pick Play Rules

Chuch Wilder

All Conference
Mar 7, 2007
Can someone with a better grasp of Offensive Pass Interference rules explain why we got called for a pick play against Purdue and it looks like other teams WRs are blocking when the ball is in the air sometimes even before the pass is even thrown and are not called for interference? I noticed it a lot in the UM game and once at least last week. Is there a 5 yard window just like the defense has for bump and run coverage?

Reactions: LukeRU90
The situation you describe is commonly referred to as the "Rutgers Screw".

Ok ... being serious now ... I think (but I'm not positive) WR's are allowed to block down field IF the ball is thrown behind the line of scrimmage. As in, a little swing pass to an RB. Not sure if that fits the scenario you described, but perhaps it does.

After the Michigan no call where he clearly stuck his butt out I thought the rule was within a certain distance of the LOS which I still do think. Our guy was right on the LOS there.

I thought on the call against us vs Purdue it happened a couple of yards downfield. It was also in the end zone so that might be a separate rule: I’m too lazy to look it up.

As stated above the pass to Rondale was behind the LOS so blocking is okay there.

Overall the rules favor more scoring.

A pick play or what they call a Rub Route is a judgement call by the official. In its basic form, if the the offensive player initiates the contact or if a Ref believes the receiver intentionally ran into someone then the flag is thrown. If the defensive player initiates the contact then there is no flag...

for more of an explanation and examples watch this.....Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The situation you describe is commonly referred to as the "Rutgers Screw".

Ok ... being serious now ... I think (but I'm not positive) WR's are allowed to block down field IF the ball is thrown behind the line of scrimmage. As in, a little swing pass to an RB. Not sure if that fits the scenario you described, but perhaps it does.
I think you properly answered the concern in the OP. The point is where the ball is CAUGHT. I think one Michigan TD had the ball caught just beyond the LOS while WRs blocked downfield. That was illegal.. but the play was designed for the ball to be caught behind the LOS.

For that reason.. I think this kind of play needs a rule change. No downfield blocking of WRs on DBs/LBs before the ball is caught on ANY forward pass. If they want to run that play.. take a risk and throw it backwards. Screen passes would still be legal because the blocking largely takes place behind the LOS.

on actual pick plays.. or rubs.. the receiver doing the rub/pick.. needs to run a legitimate route and should not initiate contact. It should be called like basketball picks, imho. That is.. if the receiver comes to a stop at least a step from the defensive player he wants to pick.. that's okay. It gives the defense a chance to go around him. But he shouldn't initiate contact nor move himself to prevent the defender from adjusting..

I think the pick we were recently called for was bad call. Our guy stopped first. The defender ran into him. I have seen people speak of the Michigan receiver turning around... that's a bogus distinction. You shouldn't listen to announcers who get so much wrong. Here's the difference between the Michigan pick and out pick.

Both routes were on the QBs left side.

The Michigan picker moved from inside to outside, then turned toward the QB as he initiated contact with his ass.. in basketball a clear moving pick.

The Rutgers player moved from outside to inside, staying on the left side, and set up with a clear view of the QB. He didn't have to "turn".. he was facing the correct way already.. he faced the ball. And the defender ran into him.

I think it was a bad call against Rutgers and a bad no-call against Michigan. And GS agreed.. refusing to comment about it so as to not get into trouble with the conference.

As stated above the pass to Rondale was behind the LOS so blocking is okay there.
I think that was MEANT to be behind the LOS.. but the pass was was caught just past the LOS. It was close... and maybe there is some rule like if one foot of the receiver is still behind the LOS then it is behind the LOS.. like a QB passing would be with just his toe behind the LOS. But the ball was past the LOS.

Based on that video above I think the Michigan pick was more egregious than our pick but both probably should have been called OPI. In both cases it looked like the WR initiated the contact. Our guy didn’t make much contact against Purdue but he clearly was trying to gain an advantage. The Michigan WR was obvious and was celebrating his pick. In his mind he did something legally but based on the video explanation above he should have been called.

I guess it’s like a foul in hoops. If the red doesn’t call it the it ain’t a foul:

The Michigan WR stopped, turned to the QB like he was running a route and stuck his but out. Clearly it was intentional and should've been called but I think the RU WR blatantly initiated contact with little question what he was doing.

If I were Gleeson I'd dial up the Michigan play and teach the technique. It was like a true stationary basketball pick aside from him sticking his but out. It seems like if its executed right its tough to call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT