ADVERTISEMENT

Pike’s ceiling?

Pikiell is possibly the best coach we’ve ever had, period. There is no indication a Mike Rice coached team with these players would be any better, and in all likelihood they’d be worse. You’re also simply using record for the first 3 years (conveniently all that’s available for Rice), without regard for the historically bad team Pike followed.
Tom Young is the best coach we've ever had, and it's no contest.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Who cares? NCAAs is based on one stretch of a few games. The team Rice inherited was a pretty good 17-11 team. Rice’s best team was arguably his first team that didn’t make the tourney. Best record.
So RU could go 17-11 every year, not make the tournament, and you’d be cool with that?

I mean literally the entire goal of each season is to make the tournament. That’s why we play the games, to have an opportunity to win a national championship.

So RU could go 17-11 every year, not make the tournament, and you’d be cool with that?

I mean literally the entire goal of each season is to make the tournament. That’s why we play the games, to have an opportunity to win a national championship.
Huh? that’s not what I’m saying at all. The point is - Rice inherited a program that was already highly competitive in that conference. The prior coach wasn’t fired. He left for the job at St Bonnies. It’s nothing at all like what Pike walked into at Stonybrook.

Recruiting “was” subpar but “now” has reached incredible. Pike is going no where, which you probably understand. Unless something drastically changes, he has this job as long as he wants it at this point.

i wouldnt say as long as he wants, for example if next years team does not make the ncaa tourney eyebrows will be raised as that would be 3 years without ncaa and a big failure..so alot of pressure on him next year.

i wouldnt say as long as he wants, for example if next years team does not make the ncaa tourney eyebrows will be raised as that would be 3 years without ncaa and a big failure..so alot of pressure on him next year.
There is definitely pressure for next year but Pike is very in demand. It would take an epic collapse over multiple seasons for RU to fire him.

There is definitely pressure for next year but Pike is very in demand. It would take an epic collapse over multiple seasons for RU to fire him.
Pike will ride his contract through 2031. Pike pockets 10s of millions, even if he loses every game. We observed Hobbs acceptance of Vivian. Pike knows showing up and winning doesn't matter when Hobbs is boss.

Huh? that’s not what I’m saying at all. The point is - Rice inherited a program that was already highly competitive in that conference. The prior coach wasn’t fired. He left for the job at St Bonnies. It’s nothing at all like what Pike walked into at Stonybrook.
I never questioned Pike’s ability to build a program though. You’re putting words in my mouth.

That’s why I clearly said even if you remove the rebuild years, it still took him a long ass time to get over the hump.

So the same time you’re discrediting Rice by saying “you just need to go on a run in the conference tournament,” you’re also not acknowledging that Pike struggled to go on such run AFTER he built the program up.

If they miss the NCAAs with two NBA lottery picks (who are slotted as top 5 picks), then he should be let go on the spot.

plus the beat writers and people around the program, mods, guest commentators blow the team up as better than they are.
THIS

I watched 6 podcasts and read so many articles from every beat writer that all claimed Noah was a top 25 transfer even though I didn’t see him in the TOP 100 ANYWHERE

I love Richie and mike and Jerry carino etc etc but everyone tried to make this season seem like it could be something it was just never going to be

Looking back this is exactly what we should’ve expected thrusting players into huge roles coming from shaky mid major backgrounds who weren’t even the best players on their former teams

Cliffs regression is the only real red flag I’m actually surprised about.

This roster construction reminds me a lot of year 1-2 where they surprised some teams competed hard but the talent gap wasn’t there.

Another important point… there are about 10 programs across the country who are more or less impervious to a rebuilding year.

Even some top flight programs like UCLA, Villanova, Ohio State, Michigan, Arkansas, Missouri, Notre Dame, Syracuse have faced one year or multiple year dry spells with a much better pedigree long term than we have

We’re not kentucky or Kansas

Reactions: knight82
Pike will ride his contract through 2031. Pike pockets 10s of millions, even if he loses every game. We observed Hobbs acceptance of Vivian. Pike knows showing up and winning doesn't matter when Hobbs is boss.
Are you suggesting that Pike doesn’t care about winning? I hope not. Rutgers hit gold with Pike and they would be very smart to keep him here as long as possible.

Are you suggesting that Pike doesn’t care about winning? I hope not. Rutgers hit gold with Pike and they would be very smart to keep him here as long as possible.
Nope. I like Pike. I don’t like his contract. Hobbs extended Pike too long.

Like Schiano, Pike is a natural fit at Rutgers. Still, I’m not a fan of Hobbs’ coach-for-life approach to coaches’ contracts.

Nope. I like Pike. I don’t like his contract. Hobbs extended Pike too long.

Like Schiano, Pike is a natural fit at Rutgers. Still, I’m not a fan of Hobbs’ coach-for-life approach to coaches’ contracts.
If he’s a good fit, you lock him up. If you don’t, you run the risk of another team trying to poach and being known as cheap for future coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT