ADVERTISEMENT

Pike: Can’t Defend the Foul Line

Here's my unbiased view

24 fouls on Team A
11 fouls on Team B

In any sport, anywhere on the planet, I would say Team B got the royal shaft. And that includes a relaxing game of Tiddly Winks. Which if I was Team A, I would have thrown the game off the friggin porch.
No problem for you to have a negative view of those numbers. I am talking about Pike’s intelligent approach to controlling fouls, limiting them. Not giving fans a hard time for how they might feel about officiating. Doesn’t matter how fans feel. Matters a lot what Pike says and does.

Reactions: bac2therac
Nah. What would be the point of letting them know about it? The refs aren’t watching the post-game interviews. They’re showering and/or heading home. Where they won’t give it another thought until or unless there is some game review process to ensure quality.

And even in such a review, the commentary of coaches would be irrelevant unless it was disresptful. The review would look at the replays and locate bad or missed calls with no regard to biased viewpoints from coaches or players.

I bet plenty of Purdue fans think the refs sucked for not calling more fouls on us. Fans see everything with biased lens. Just how it is.
Nooo!! You could stick your head in the sand and ignore it… like Ohio State… but any intelligent fan can see we were getting the short end. We are good and maybe the best team in the league. Time to address the awful officiating.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
He said what he said. We don’t have to guess or assume, we just look at his words. Is what I did.

People who inject extra meaning, subtext, into it, are guessing and making assumptions. Engaging in drama. Have fun with that. Not my thing.

dinner tounge GIF

I definitely respect your point of view. I don't think he needs to go all Bobby Knight and start throwing chairs all over the place... I just think he needs to dial it up a little bit.

Part of what makes Pike who he is is how he deals with it on the sidelines in a bit of a different and more respectable fashion.

But I would argue that we still get screwed too much. I think as he continues to be viewed as one of the top coaches in the league he will do more and we will start to get more than our fair share of calls. But it certainly did not happen tonight
I don’t know what he says to refs, but judging by their body language, he always keeps things respectful. Maybe he’s lobbying them some for ho hey call things. Nothing wrong with that, right? And it might subtly buy us a call, here or there.

Reactions: bac2therac
I don’t know what he says to refs, but judging by their body language, he always keeps things respectful. Maybe he’s lobbying them some for ho hey call things. Nothing wrong with that, right? And it might subtly buy us a call, here or there.
Yeah I'm with you there. He is definitely subtle and respectful.

I do think he needs to cranItit up a notch. Again not talking about chucking chairs all over the place but he needs to get on them a bit more...and I will tell you as someone that has watched him closely since he got here he is absolutely doing it more this year.

I read it as he was saying - we need to learn to adjust how we play to the way the game is being called.
Yep. And that is useful and smart of him to do. Control what can be controlled. Which is what the team does.

Total childish waste of time to make sly criticism of refs in the media to refs. It would be totally useless at best, get them fined or disliked by refs at worst.

Nooo!! You could stick your head in the sand and ignore it… like Ohio State… but any intelligent fan can see we were getting the short end. We are good and maybe the best team in the league. Time to address the awful officiating.
What are you babbling about? My head and where it’s at is irrelevant. What Pike does is and how the players respond is all that matters.

Some of you are so immersed in your persecution complex over officiating that you are completely missing the point here. It doesn’t matter what I think about the refs. It doesn’t matter what you think. Or what any fan thinks.

All that matters is that Pike and the team focus on what they can control. That’s what Pike is doing and I created the thread to applaud his intelligent approach. He’s a great coach.

Reactions: FastMJ
Fans can whine about the refs. Doesn’t have any impact on anything so it doesn’t matter. All good.

Coaches that whine about it will do nothing good and might accomplish some bad. The unrelenting message to players, directly to them in the locker room, and indirectly through interviews or press conferences, has to be to focus on what they control and forget about the refs or bad calls.

Anything else is nothing more than useless distraction for the players.
Okay. It's obvious you neve played before.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Yeah, you're funny too pal. You never played before. When the foul discrepancy is 24 to 10 you know as a player and coach you've been hosed. Period.

🤣

Not only have I played sports my entire life, I’ve coached them much of my life, professionally at times. And how exactly is that even remotely relevant here? This isn’t about me or you or fans. Get someone with some facility in reading comprehension to explain it to you.

If we want to get to NCAA - those games are going to be called close too. We may think ticky-tac fouls, but we have to play intense D, and make our shots on offense to offset the extra fouls called against us.
maybe it is tough to have it both ways.....we are proud that our teams is getting recognized as one of the premier defensive teams.......to have that , we swarm and are aggressive on defense.....

then, there will be games that we get called for a lot of fouls, more so against an elite team at their place

....I believe that if this game was at the RAC, the foul disparity would have been substantially less

These other teams bull their way into the paint, travel and charge and we get oh gotz called.
We do the same and the ball goes the other way.
I’m actually shocked they gave the and 1 to Paul
Agree here; while I agree with many of the fouls called against us, their guards on at least 3-4 occasions pushed off of us when dribbling around our guards and no call was made. Two of those times their guard was falling down, and we still got called for the foul. But, as it's been said, can't control the refs.

Yeah, you're funny too pal. You never played before. When the foul discrepancy is 24 to 10 you know as a player and coach you've been hosed. Period.
You’re arguing with yourself.

And show me where I said we didn’t get hosed? I didn’t comment about what I think of the refs tonight. Because it’s not relevant to the thread at all.

Uh-huh. Sure. If he was doing that, and I’m skeptical, then he’s just being agreeable with fans rather than argue with them which is also smart of him since there’s no point in such an argument. Easier to just humor them.
*shrug*

Reactions: mildone
I was praying we didn’t go to OT, no doubt all our starters would have fouled out

It was actually impressive that the team as a whole (since basically all of them were in foul trouble) and none fouled out

People who inject extra meaning, subtext, into it, are guessing and making assumptions. Engaging in drama. Have fun with that. Not my thing.

…and you’re doing the same damn thing !!!

how do you not understand that?!

He absolutely could have meant it the way some are saying (a mild commentary on the officiating). If pike was ever going to say something about the reffing it would be just like that - very polite and subtle. Btw, last time I remember him saying that was another game that was one-sided like tonight (forget which game).

You’re implying a meaning to it just like we are.

Just stop

Agree here; while I agree with many of the fouls called against us, their guards on at least 3-4 occasions pushed off of us when dribbling around our guards and no call was made. Two of those times their guard was falling down, and we still got called for the foul. But, as it's been said, can't control the refs.
Exactly. I saw a lot of fouls called on us for stuff they seemed to get way with.

What’s great about Pike is that his statement shows he wants to do what he can to cut down on the fouls. To keep other teams off the line. The man is focused.

🤣

Not only have I played sports my entire life, I’ve coached them much of my life, professionally at times. And how exactly is that even remotely relevant here? This isn’t about me or you or fans. Get someone with some facility in reading comprehension to explain it to you.
Okay buddy. Not only did I play the game at a high level but I coached at a high level too. Oh, and my reading comprehension is just fine. I can't help it if you want to denigrate others because they believed the officiating was piss poor, when in fact it was piss poor. When fouls go 24-11 that's what 's funny here, not your pithy comments.

He said that in an on-court post-game interview right after the win. Great statement. Shows why he’s such a good coach.

Coach knows that you focus on what you can control versus whining about what you cannot.

The MBB program is in excellent hands.
Yeah. Pike is calling out the BS reffing when he says this.

Here's my unbiased view

24 fouls on Team A
11 fouls on Team B

In any sport, anywhere on the planet, I would say Team A and got the royal shaft. And that includes a relaxing game of Tiddly Winks. Which if I was Team A, I would have thrown the game off the friggin porch.

Where does style of play, paint touches, drives, shot location, factor into this calculus?

He said that in an on-court post-game interview right after the win. Great statement. Shows why he’s such a good coach.

Coach knows that you focus on what you can control versus whining about what you cannot.

The MBB program is in excellent hands.
yes, it was the ultimate referee shade with being zero referee shade...

Of course Pike’s comments on the fouls relates in part to refs. It is an effective way to express that you didn’t feel you got a great whistle. Every great coach does it. Believing otherwise is like conceding you think our coach isn’t shrewd enough to play the press conference game properly.

Of course Pike’s comments on the fouls relates in part to refs. It is an effective way to express that you didn’t feel you got a great whistle. Every great coach does it. Believing otherwise is like conceding you think our coach isn’t shrewd enough to play the press conference game properly.

How do you think "playing the press conference game" is working out for us?

Last edited:
It was actually impressive that the team as a whole (since basically all of them were in foul trouble) and none fouled out

…and you’re doing the same damn thing !!!

how do you not understand that?!

He absolutely could have meant it the way some are saying (a mild commentary on the officiating). If pike was ever going to say something about the reffing it would be just like that - very polite and subtle. Btw, last time I remember him saying that was another game that was one-sided like tonight (forget which game).

You’re implying a meaning to it just like we are.

Just stop
Again, I have only talked about Pike’s precise words tonight. No implications at all.

I didn’t bring up what he supposedly said privately because I wasn’t there. The person who brought it up seems comfortable assigning interpretive meaning beyond that conveyed directly by Pike’s exact words. It’s hearsay and speculation. Why should anyone trust it no matter who contributes it?

And anyway, if Pike said, privately to his brother for instance, that we got hosed by the refs tonight, that doesn’t matter. He didn’t say it in public, which is all that matters. He’s not coaching his players to dwell on the refs but is gonna work on getting his players to get fewer foul calls. Which is smart. Because it’s what we can control.

Seems pretty obvious and I’m not seeing how it’s even remotely controversial. Has nothing to do with how I or Pike or anybody else feels about the refs job tonight. How we all might feel is pointless to winning games. How Pike and team approaches and plays is what they control and thus all that matters.

Again, I have only talked about Pike’s precise words tonight. No implications at all.

I didn’t bring up what he supposedly said privately because I wasn’t there. The person who brought it up seems comfortable assigning interpretive meaning beyond that conveyed directly by Pike’s exact words. It’s hearsay and speculation. Why should anyone trust it no matter who contributes it?

And anyway, if Pike said, privately to his brother for instance, that we got hosed by the refs tonight, that doesn’t matter. He didn’t say it in public, which is all that matters. He’s not coaching his players to dwell on the refs but is gonna work on getting his players to get fewer foul calls. Which is smart. Because it’s what we can control.

Seems pretty obvious and I’m not seeing how it’s even remotely controversial. Has nothing to do with how I or Pike or anybody else feels about the refs job tonight. How we all might feel is pointless to winning games. How Pike and team approaches and plays is what they control and thus all that matters.

And those who THINK he might have been making a comment about the refs are also looking at the “precise words”

You are interpreting one way. Some others in a different way. But understand- you are interpreting just as much as we are.

What you still don’t comprehend is that no one actually knows what he meant. I admit that (have from the start) but you somehow KNOW. fascinating

That’s a good response. Because why should you care if I’m skeptical or not?

I’m an anonymous person on the internet. Same as you are to me. Without knowing you, or the context and details of the event where Pike said what you say, I have no information with which to judge the value of your observations. So I’m skeptical.

Isn’t personal. I would fully expect you to equally skeptical of my observations, were the roles reversed.

And those who THINK he might have been making a comment about the refs are also looking at the “precise words”

You are interpreting one way. Some others in a different way. But understand- you are interpreting just as much as we are.

What you still don’t comprehend is that no one actually knows what he meant. I admit that (have from the start) but you somehow KNOW. fascinating
They are assigning subtext, adding words he didn’t say at all. That’s spin, not fact. Alternative meanings.

I‘m merely going by his exact words. No subtext. No hidden or extra or alternative meanings. I am using the dictionary definitions of his precise words to provide the “interpretation”. No drama.

Occam’s Razor.

They are assigning subtext, adding words he didn’t say at all. That’s spin, not fact. Alternative meanings.

I‘m merely going by his exact words. No subtext. No hidden or extra or alternative meanings. I am using the dictionary definitions of his precise words to provide the “interpretation”. No drama.

Occam’s Razor.
His exact words were "Can't Defend the Foul Line" (apparently) which isn't even true. You can defend it at all times except when the opponent is taking free throws. Occam's razor thus suggests Steve Pikiell does not know the rules of basketball.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
🤣

Please say more… enlighten us is “them” hoops? Did you play hoops at any significant level? What did you coach professionally? Hoops?

You brought it up and you’re selling your point really hard. So help your cause, sell your hoops cred… let us know why you know what Pike meant and why everyone else is wrong.

FWIW we should be celebrating an huge win and not arguing about what Pikes statement meant. For me there is no doubt part of it was a jab at the refs. But once again you know more than all of us.

Perhaps it’s because you played your whole life and you’re a professional coach. 🤨

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT