ADVERTISEMENT

Pike: Can’t Defend the Foul Line

He also said that he wanted to work on the fouling issue. Which is good because we need to be able to play intense D without all the cheap touch fouls.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Fans can whine about the refs. Doesn’t have any impact on anything so it doesn’t matter. All good.

Coaches that whine about it will do nothing good and might accomplish some bad. The unrelenting message to players, directly to them in the locker room, and indirectly through interviews or press conferences, has to be to focus on what they control and forget about the refs or bad calls.

Anything else is nothing more than useless distraction for the players.

Pike has used this phrase since he got here.

I mean there's not a person on this planet with eyes and a functioning brain that could not see that we were getting the short end of the stick from the officials tonight. It happens in virtually all of our games.

I think I can count on one hand the number of games in which we were helped by the officials.

And please spare me the we foul a lot... I get it and i agree we do. I'm not saying the foul count should be equal.

But the inequity in how they call the game against us is absurd.

Personally I think that Pike has earned enough street cred in the B1G where he needs to start addressing this a bit more aggressively.

We can't keep beating teams 5 on 8...

Fans can whine about the refs. Doesn’t have any impact on anything so it doesn’t matter. All good.

Coaches that whine about it will do nothing good and might accomplish some bad. The unrelenting message to players, directly to them in the locker room, and indirectly through interviews or press conferences, has to be to focus on what they control and forget about the refs or bad calls.

I definitely respect your point of view. I don't think he needs to go all Bobby Knight and start throwing chairs all over the place... I just think he needs to dial it up a little bit.

Part of what makes Pike who he is is how he deals with it on the sidelines in a bit of a different and more respectable fashion.

But I would argue that we still get screwed too much. I think as he continues to be viewed as one of the top coaches in the league he will do more and we will start to get more than our fair share of calls. But it certainly did not happen tonight

I don’t have to read minds. He said exactly what he meant. It’s y’all trying to add stuff to what he said.

“We can’t defend the foul line”

In other words - the refs are taking it out of our hands and giving opportunities for free points

I don’t KNOW if that’s what he meant. But it certainly could have. I don’t KNOW and nor do you KNOW

“We can’t def be the foul line”

In other words - the refs are taking it out of our hands and giving opportunities for free points

I don’t KNOW if that’s what he meant. But it certainly could have. I don’t know and neither do you
He immediately said, next sentence, that they need to work on it. Can’t work on the calls.

You guys are projecting your dislike of the calls onto the coach. But coaches can’t coach officiating. Can only coach the players.

Reactions: suggakane
If we want to get to NCAA - those games are going to be called close too. We may think ticky-tac fouls, but we have to play intense D, and make our shots on offense to offset the extra fouls called against us.

Reactions: mildone

That might be true in Little League. It’s a real factor that Pike is correct to address.
We are good.
Time we address the officiating and the B1G’s control of officiating.

Reactions: RC71
That might be true in Little League. It’s a real factor that Pike is correct to address.
We are good.
Time we address the officiating and the B1G’s control of officiating.
LOL. Address it how?

Fans all over have been complaining about officiating forever. The rules can be tweaked. We can add technology. But refs are human and will make bad call sometimes. Just how it’s always been.

He said that in an on-court post-game interview right after the win. Great statement. Shows why he’s such a good coach.

Coach knows that you focus on what you can control versus whining about what you cannot.

The MBB program is in excellent hands.
Pike is amazing. The guy is just getting started. We are very lucky to have him.

If we had lost lost this game much of it could have been blamed on the foul calls against. Several of the offensive fouls in the first half were ridiculous. When Rutgers gets called for 13 more fouls and Purdue has 17 more free throws it is indicative of something.

I usually don't go in on the refs, but I felt tonight was especially bad. If I was Purdue I would just keeping feeding Edey all night and have him go strong to the basket - he would have us foul out our team. Every time a foul was called - we were not allowed to defend him. It was really crazy.

“We can’t defend the foul line”

I don’t KNOW if that’s what he meant. But it certainly could have. I don’t KNOW and nor do you KNOW
I think he’s talking to the players. The fouls almost were too much to over come. I love the intensity but they must find ways to limit fouls.

It is what he is doing to an extent, for sure
I think you guys are right. He knows his teams are going to be called for more fouls than the other team. He coaches an aggressive way of playing defense and that breeds more fouls. But when it gets to 24-11 that's not more fouls, that's calling it one sided and he's letting them know how he feels about it in a polite way.

I think you guys are right. He knows his teams are going to be called for more fouls than the other team. He coaches an aggressive way of playing defense and that breeds more fouls. But when it gets to 24-11 that's not more fouls, that's calling it one sided and he's letting them know how he feels about it in a polite way.
Nah. What would be the point of letting them know about it? The refs aren’t watching the post-game interviews. They’re showering and/or heading home. Where they won’t give it another thought until or unless there is some game review process to ensure quality.

And even in such a review, the commentary of coaches would be irrelevant unless it was disresptful. The review would look at the replays and locate bad or missed calls with no regard to biased viewpoints from coaches or players.

I bet plenty of Purdue fans think the refs sucked for not calling more fouls on us. Fans see everything with biased lens. Just how it is.

Reactions: FastMJ
I bet plenty of Purdue fans think the refs sucked for not calling more fouls on us. Fans see everything with biased lens. Just how it is.
Here's my unbiased view

24 fouls on Team A
11 fouls on Team B

In any sport, anywhere on the planet, I would say Team A got the royal shaft. And that includes a relaxing game of Tiddly Winks. Which if I was Team A, I would have thrown the game off the friggin porch.

Last edited:
I have heard Steve Pikiell in private express this sarcastic attitude toward the officiating a number of times, he feels the same about it as fans do.
Uh-huh. Sure. If he was doing that, and I’m skeptical, then he’s just being agreeable with fans rather than argue with them which is also smart of him since there’s no point in such an argument. Easier to just humor them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT