ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell Knight Hungary

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“Steve Pikiell and Brandin Knight are currently in Hungary to watch Dylan Harper compete at the FIBA U19 World Cup this weekend, multiple sources tell our colleague Adam Zagoria. Rutgers keeps showing Harper he is a priority, this time by flying halfway around the world to see him in what is not an easy trek to make:”

Rutgers coach Steve Pikiell, top assistant head to Hungary to watch top 2024 target Dylan Harper

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...ry-to-watch-top-2024-target-dylan-harper.html

“Steve Pikiell and Brandin Knight are currently in Hungary to watch Dylan Harper compete at the FIBA U19 World Cup this weekend, multiple sources tell our colleague Adam Zagoria. Rutgers keeps showing Harper he is a priority, this time by flying halfway around the world to see him in what is not an easy trek to make:”

Rutgers coach Steve Pikiell, top assistant head to Hungary to watch top 2024 target Dylan Harper

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...ry-to-watch-top-2024-target-dylan-harper.html
Did they both really need to go?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Nothing says “amateurism” like flying coaches all over the world to recruit athletes.

But sure. NIL is ruining the college athletics “we grew up with”.
This, coaching salaries and being in a conference with teams from California kind of takes a lot out of my anti NIL sentiments.

Let's not lose sight that with all of this NJ taxpayers have been paying for all of this.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
This, coaching salaries and being in a conference with teams from California kind of takes a lot out of my anti NIL sentiments.

Let's not lose sight that with all of this NJ taxpayers have been paying for all of this.
If you think too much about it, it's insane. I try not to think about how it all gets paid for.
When I do, I think how much better the Euro club system is where sports and education have nothing to do with each other (or very little at least).

If you think too much about it, it's insane. I try not to think about how it all gets paid for.
When I do, I think how much better the Euro club system is where sports and education have nothing to do with each other (or very little at least).
I am sure this way is better for the person as they get an education if things don’t work out.

For those who are close to definite and have zero intention of getting an education I wish there was a viable path for them.

To me guys like Dylan Harper or Ace Bailey should not be playing college basketball. They should be able to get drafted out of high school and NBA GMs should be taking the risks and not make Steve Pikiell travel to Hungary begging a kid to come here for 1 year.

An NBA franchise should be paying Ace Bailey 4 years and $10,000,000 to get his rights and have him under contract. NBA draft needs to be 5+ rounds.

I don't think coach flew coach.
Ha. I loved the line that said the coaches had to fly "halfway around the world to see him in what is not an easy trek to make." It makes it seem like they had to go up the Ulanga River in the African Queen with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. Maybe they had to change planes in Zurich or Frankfurt, while flying First or Business Class 🙂

Ha. I loved the line that said the coaches had to fly "halfway around the world to see him in what is not an easy trek to make." It makes it seem like they had to go up the Ulanga River in the African Queen with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. Maybe they had to change planes in Zurich or Frankfurt, while flying First or Business Class 🙂
Yeah, but you saw what shape the airports were in this week. I'd rather make the Ulanga River trek - at least you get to move! 😂

Dylan 20min, 4pts(FG 0-2), 7ast, 5 reb, 0 TOs

New Brunswick used to have a pretty cool Hungarian fest on somerset street. .
It is still ongoing every year on the first Saturday of June. It is not only on Somerset Street, but also at the courtyards of Reformed and Catholic Churches, and inside the Hungarian Athletic Club and the Hungarian Heritage Center. All are located on Somerset St.

They’re flying to Hungary, not the moon. Not that expensive.
First class or business it’s probably a $15k trip, maybe more.

It is an interesting guilt trip they’re putting on Dylan. We flew all the way to watch you in Central Europe for a game no one cared about. They don’t even have to say it.

Other than the pay, it seems to me the coaches jobs now really suck.

First class or business it’s probably a $15k trip, maybe more.

It is an interesting guilt trip they’re putting on Dylan. We flew all the way to watch you in Central Europe for a game no one cared about. They don’t even have to say it.

Other than the pay, it seems to me the coaches jobs now really suck.
It should be under 5 K per person. Food is inexpensive, hotels are reasonably priced and airfare tickets could be purchased at reasonable prices as well, given the strong competition that created a large number of options. I have done it at 20+ times.

New Brunswick used to have a pretty cool Hungarian fest on somerset street. .
Way back when I worked on College Ave, we would often go toThe Budapest on Somerset for lunch. Believe it’s now a Mexican or other LA restaurant. Hungarian- American Athletic Club was on Somerset also.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I went to high school there!
When I was a little kid, my best friend's father was an Hungarian emigre. Somewhere at my parent's house I'm sure I still have the little Hungarian-English dictionary he gave me. There was a pretty significant Hungarian population in New Brunswick back in the day. I'm really glad to hear they still have the festival, is there still a Hungarian presence in the city?

When I was a little kid, my best friend's father was an Hungarian emigre. Somewhere at my parent's house I'm sure I still have the little Hungarian-English dictionary he gave me. There was a pretty significant Hungarian population in New Brunswick back in the day. I'm really glad to hear they still have the festival, is there still a Hungarian presence in the city?
I wouldn’t say it is a huge presence as residents in town and the restaurants we knew are no longer there, but the Cultural Center still has a strong presence, teaching youth traditional music and dance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT