ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck

FELONIOUSMONK

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2012
I just watched him on BTN doing some of his motivational speeches. I am cynical by nature but after 10 minutes I am ready to send the Gophers a check for their program..[banana]

I agree Fleck is going to turn Minny around. Brohm at Purdue is doing a tremendous job also.

I guess we will see how serious those schools take college football. Since both coaches will be in high demand this year or next. If they continue to have success on the field and keep recruiting like they have been.

I agree Fleck is going to turn Minny around. Brohm at Purdue is doing a tremendous job also.

I guess we will see how serious those schools take college football. Since both coaches will be in high demand this year or next. If they continue to have success on the field and keep recruiting like they have been.
In Fleck's case you do realize he's not fixing something that was broken, right? Fact is they played a tougher schedule the year before he arrived and went 9-4 (5-4 B1G) with three loses of 7 points or less. He took that team and went 5-7 (2-7 B1G) with a lighter schedule and 4 loses of 23 points or more. So does he still get credit if(still a big IF) he fixes something, that he broke, that wasn't broken to begin with? So basically if they get back to winning seasons and bowls isn't that where they were at before he took over?

Last edited:
In Fleck's case you do realize he's not fixing something that was broken, right? Fact is they played a tougher schedule the year before he arrived and went 9-4 (5-4 B1G) with three loses of 7 points or less. He took that team and went 5-7 (2-7 B1G) with a lighter schedule and 4 loses of 23 points or more. So does he still get credit if(still a big IF) he fixes something, that he broke, that wasn't broken to begin with? So basically if they get back to winning seasons and bowls isn't that where they were at before he took over?
I agree Minny was basically average when he took over.
My point is........... I will be interested to see just how important football is to those 2 schools I mentioned above. Since both schools are going to be fighting for their coaches in a year or two. When bigger programs come calling.

Last edited:
Purdue put a massive investment into its program a few years ago (Oregon-esque facility design, on a smaller budget) and Brohm arrived just in time to have it shiny and new to sell to recruits and it has been working. Combined with Brohm’s fiery style and “feed the stud” system, it has been a huge hit. RU’s win over Purdue last season should continue to look better.

Since when does a 9 win team need turning around?

Not gonna lie, wish we had PJ...
You'd be screaming bloody murder. If we went 9-4 (5-4 /B1G) with 3 loses by less than 7 points and then Fleck comes in and takes us to 5-7 (2-7 /B1G) with 4 loses by more than 23 points. I know I'd be screaming it from the roof tops, so would most here. Especially with the second go around of Capt. Kirk to lead the offense. Minnesota's offense ranked only 6 places higher than our epic ineptitude.

Last edited:
Personality is not what wins . But it certainly looks like a lot more fun to be with when it wins.Ash is not and never will be a member of the cult of personalty.

Reactions: RICOelectric
Personality is not what wins . But it certainly looks like a lot more fun to be with when it wins.Ash is not and never will be a member of the cult of personalty.
Neither is Nick Saban, Urban Meyer nor Mark Dantonio. PJ's antics are too goofy for some, including me. But I can see his appeal to some people.

I said that his kind is Uber good when they win . I never implied that doing shtick wins championships on its own. Rutgers at this point just needs to win no matter who is coaching.

This has been discussed a hundred times already but that Minnesota coach before fleck had Kyle flood written all over him. Not saying that gives fleck 4 years to right the ship but it’s certainly not as simple as going from 9 wins to 5.

Let's not forget Minny changed coaches since Claeys had issues that were going to set the program back a la RU and they quickly made the change and Fleck walked into a solid program. This was no savior situation.

Neither is Nick Saban, Urban Meyer nor Mark Dantonio. PJ's antics are too goofy for some, including me. But I can see his appeal to some people.

The difference is you can afford to be the silent, stern, no-personality curmudgeon if you back it up with results. Being a wet blanket, and not putting up any results is a double edged sword.

As they say winnings cures all ills, you could be as boring as a phonebook, but if you get the right kids, call the right plays, and win it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Ruthinking
The difference is you can afford to be the silent, stern, no-personality curmudgeon if you back it up with results. Being a wet blanket, and not putting up any results is a double edged sword.

As they say winnings cures all ills, you could be as boring as a phonebook, but if you get the right kids, call the right plays, and win it doesn't matter.
This plus 1!

I’ll use the example about Urban Meyer, Nick Saban....they really don’t have a compelling personality, but they have swagger because of the winning.

If Ash starts winning, we’re not going to care about his personality.

Saban did not exactly get results until his 5th year at Michigan State.

Not saying Ash is the next Saban or those other guys.

On the other hand, when you are a flaky showboat or a loudmouth, you will get lambasted if you do not put up results.

In the end, its the results that matter. Have not thought much about the most successful coaches in P5 football, and if there are more lively personalities than duds.
Wisconsin coach is a dud.
Meyer is not exactly mister excitement.
Neither is Dantonio.
Harbaugh is his own animal.
Indiana guy seems dull.
Durkin is quirky and weird, IMO (always smiling even when losing).
Iowa's coach is boring.
Seem to be more boring types in the B1G.

Reactions: Ruthinking

On the other hand, when you are a flaky showboat or a loudmouth, you will get lambasted if you do not put up results.

In the end, its the results that matter. Have not thought much about the most successful coaches in P5 football, and if there are more lively personalities than duds.
Neither is Dantonio.
Indiana guy seems dull.
Iowa's coach is boring.

Wisky though has a SUPER DYNAMIC DC in Jim Leonhard

Just flipping through the guide the other night I saw some show "Being PJ Fleck" or something like that, no thanks. I don't need my bs meter going haywire.

Paul Chryst at Wisconsin is as bland as it gets. Frankly I don't see anything wrong with Ash. He's not some dynamic personality but I don't notice him as bland either. Just seems normal to me. It's kind of funny because I remember at his introductory press conference I remember some here were saying man he's out of central casting (I didn't think that either) and now he's gone from that to dry wall haha.

Reactions: Rokodesh

Neither is Dantonio.
Indiana guy seems dull.
Iowa's coach is boring.
Agree with you on Chryst. He's like watching paint dry haha. But who cares, I've never equated personality with performance. I don't really see any correlation. You can have guys like Dabo and Franklin who are lively or coaches like Saban and Meyer who are pretty stoic for the most part. You have guys that run the spectrum and you see guys succeed and fail across that personality spectrum too, who cares. Substance not flash and that is only measured through results not slogans or hoopla or what have you.

Reactions: RUDead
Just flipping through the guide the other night I saw some show "Being PJ Fleck" or something like that, no thanks. I don't need my bs meter going haywire.

Paul Chryst at Wisconsin is as bland as it gets. Frankly I don't see anything wrong with Ash. He's not some dynamic personality but I don't notice him as bland either. Just seems normal to me. It's kind of funny because I remember at his introductory press conference I remember some here were saying man he's out of central casting (I didn't think that either) and now he's gone from that to dry wall haha.
But this is where all the fans are going to find fault with anything and everything about our current coach and gaze lovingly across the country at candidates they think would be "better," even though most of them would not consider coming here because other than Schiano, RU has been a coaches graveyard and it is pretty well known RU will not put up much more than $2 million/year. But we can continue to gaze lovingly at coaches who will never come here because that is what we like to do.

Neither is Dantonio.
Indiana guy seems dull.
Iowa's coach is boring.

Again, Brohm is here to stay.....Purdue has had one coach with such a big personality in any sport and it worked out well for Gene Keady

Last edited:
But this is where all the fans are going to find fault with anything and everything about our current coach and gaze lovingly across the country at candidates they think would be "better," even though most of them would not consider coming here because other than Schiano, RU has been a coaches graveyard and it is pretty well known RU will not put up much more than $2 million/year. But we can continue to gaze lovingly at coaches who will never come here because that is what we like to do.
It's the same old same old though, I remember the longings from Turner Gill at Buffalo, Golden at Temple, Rhule at Temple, etc.. and the list goes on and on now to Fleck recently and then when those names go to the "ash heap" suddenly the love is gone and forgotten.

I can understand envying guys who have done things at this level, I'm not envious of guys who haven't proven squat on this level let alone consistently on this level.

I'm indifferent to Ash but even if I was negative on him, I still wouldn't be envious of many of the names I see brought up here over the years.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
It's the same old same old though, I remember the longings from Turner Gill at Buffalo, Golden at Temple, Rhule at Temple, etc.. and the list goes on and on now to Fleck recently and then when those names go to the "ash heap" suddenly the love is gone and forgotten.

I can understand envying guys who have done things at this level, I'm not envious of guys who haven't proven squat on this level let alone consistently on this level.

I'm indifferent to Ash but even if I was negative on him, I still wouldn't be envious of many of the names I see brought up here over the years.
I'm neutral on Ash too, but feel strongly he needs the next 2 years to prove himself, barring a major off-field scandal or an 0-12, 1-11 or 2-10 or 3-9 performance this year.
If he does not work out, don't know where RU goes from here, as they seem to have the Wisconsin mentality of not going to spend a lot for a coach.

Reactions: tico brown
I'm neutral on Ash too, but feel strongly he needs the next 2 years to prove himself, barring a major off-field scandal or an 0-12, 1-11 or 2-10 or 3-9 performance this year.
If he does not work out, don't know where RU goes from here, as they seem to have the Wisconsin mentality of not going to spend a lot for a coach.
If it doesn't work out and we go back to the same well and I have no issue with that all. I'm perfectly fine going after a coordinator again or mid major HC. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Also don't think we have to spend a ton for a coach either. I don't think I've ever complained about budget or previous P5 HC experience, all I look for is a good solid track record and display of competence that is worthy of the opportunity. It's the AD's job to identify good solid coaches.

Just make sure it's someone who understands offense and knows how to put people in place to implement one. It doesn't have to be an offensive coach necessarily either. I'm actually partial to DCs but make sure it isn't someone who is confused about offense.

I've mentioned Bob Stoops here a few times, a DC first time HC when OU hired him but knew what he wanted on offense. People complain about continuity here and always switching OCs. Well Stoops had 7 OCs in 18 years there but he got the ball rolling with Leach and only for a year too IIRC. It got the ball rolling and many of the successive OC hires were internal promotions. To me continuity is embodied in philosophy and having a strong coaching tree to continuously pluck from not necessarily just having a single person as OC for a longer period although that's obviously fine too. I think his time with Spurrier was a good influence on him and part of the reason I wonder if Grinch could be similar due to his time with Leach at WSU and now he's at OSU. If Ash didn't work out I'd consider going to literally the same exact well (OSU DC) depending on how his time at OSU pans out.

I don't need to hear big talk and slogans, show me by who you hire and where they come from. I'm a nobody I could sniff out the DM and Kill hires were going to be uphill battles but stayed hopeful. McNulty should be better, not saying much given the last 2 years, but it's not an offense that I think is best suited for a school like us to consistently and optimally perform but we'll see.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ators-steve-spurrier-sam-bradford-jason-white

Last edited:
Reactions: angmo
You need someone who is EXTREMELY charismatic or pathologically positive to turn a program like RU around.

Schiano was insanely and consistently verbalizing how RU was going to contend for a national championship. He was talking about it when the team was going 1-11 in 2002. Four years later, he was one dropped pass against WVU and one bad loss in Cincinnati from doing so. The guy was relentless and maniacal.

That is what it will take to turn around RU in its current state. I've met both Schiano and Ash and spent time in both camps. Greg rubbed many coaches the wrong way but invariably earned everyone's respect and trust. Ash has everyone's respect given where he's come from. He just isn't a closer.
As we know, separation in college football these days is 75% recruiting, 15% strength training and only about 10% coaching.

All things being equal, a guy like Fleck or Franklin will go further than Ash in a program that needs a rebuild.

Reactions: MoobyCow
I would have cancelled my tickets if we hired a clown like Fleck.

You have to actually be able to coach in this conference and he's in the easier division.

Only Rutgers fans would eat our own coach during a massive rebuild, while praising a coach who inherited a 9 win team, tanked it to 5 wins and started calling it Year 0 and it's a rebuild, to save face.

Yeah, Fleck no doubt had a crap first year. The Gophers *may* have been due for a dip in any case. He will get three more years to turn things around with his infomercial pitch making.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT