ADVERTISEMENT

Politi Doubles Down on Being Debbie Downer

No.. he is wrong. The casual fans you mention do not matter one bit. The knowledgeable fans will know what a task this is even if this was done with proper rosters and prep.

What Politi is doing is trying to set the standard of measurement for this game before the game.

It can also be said that if we have a decent showing then it is Politi who is the laughingstock.. oh.. wait.. he has passed that threshold some time ago.

You've contradicted yourself.

It really is sad that this guy is living rent free in your heads. He's a local sportswriter, writing about a college football team in a state where 80+% of the residents don't give a flying f*ck about Rutgers football. You all really need to stop expecting him to suck your dicks. You're not paying his mortgage.

Even more ironic is the fact that, if you talk to him, you learn that he really does want Rutgers to win. But like more than half of our loyal fanbase, he doesn't expect them to.

Very easy to write an article whose premise is RU academics earns bowl bid, but the SL and NJ.com have been haters for literally forever. I have not read his article, but is there one source within the RU athletic community that thinks the Gator Bowl is a bad idea?
The big problem with the SL was when they took out the "comments" boards. We used to create hell and they wussied out. He has no blow back to his hate, just as the editors don't want to hear from their readers.

The big problem with the SL was when they took out the "comments" boards. We used to create hell and they wussied out. He has no blow back to his hate, just as the editors don't want to hear from their readers.
Hahahaha. You think they closed the comments board because Rutgers fans?? How stupid are you?? It was because of the dumbass colt Trumpers and the Liberal idiots. Rutgers was about the 426th reason to close the comments board.

Reactions: HeIsNUTS
I would read the comments and they often were vitriolic toward Rutgers and the athletic program. The overall impression from the comments was far from favorable to Rutgers.

You've contradicted yourself.

It really is sad that this guy is living rent free in your heads. He's a local sportswriter, writing about a college football team in a state where 80+% of the residents don't give a flying f*ck about Rutgers football. You all really need to stop expecting him to suck your dicks. You're not paying his mortgage.

Even more ironic is the fact that, if you talk to him, you learn that he really does want Rutgers to win. But like more than half of our loyal fanbase, he doesn't expect them to.
Living rent free in our heads is we think about him all the time. Not really the case for me.

My Twitter feed includes Rutgers athletics, and NJ.com and Gannet (app.com/northjersey.com/mycentraljersey.com) articles show up in the feed. Don't care to figure out how to block them, as there are often stories of interest.

It seems both sources have good cop/bad cop writers. Kratch and Sarge are mostly objective and good. Politi has to play the bad cop, and on occasion, he will write a positive article For Gannet, Iseman is the good cop, and Edelman is just weird. It is probably a calculated move so that they can get clicks from the Rutgers fans who like Rutgers and the contingent of residents who are Rutgers haters to make everyone a reader. Such is the way of "journalism."

Nobody is expecting Politi to do what you said. It's fine for writers to take a negative slant. Often times, however, Politi comes off as a total drama queen as he did in his article. He's entitled to his opinions, and we are entitled to ours, aren't we? The general theme of his article is not unreasonable. It's the over the top quoted statements that are silly in my view.

I have talked to him, and I don't share the same learning. Remember, he is a UNC grad.

These threads are at least worthwhile because the are about Rutgers football, and not electric cars, Honda Accords, Atlantic City, Real Estate, politics, etc.

Onward, upward.

Reactions: beaced
It was reported NJ.Com even had paid trolls to say some of the stuff they did.
I'd like to think that's true -- but I doubt nj.com could afford to buy a candy bar, much less to pay posters. Unfortunately, there really are people who hate the idea of Rutgers having big-time athletic programs. And I don't think that all of them are my former faculty colleagues.

Reactions: Steve91562
Politi also said that the B1G was making a big mistake last year deciding to play the 2020 season. How many B1G players died of COVID?

Reactions: Scarlet83
Politi was the kid we all hated in high school. He's a total doooosh and a geek at the same time. You can do nothing but dislike him personally. I wish nothing but 3 hours of explosive diarrhea for him the minute they close the doors on his United flight to FL.

Or the streak just continues with a blowout

What are you talking about?

How does the streak continuously if we were blown out?

No one can say we haven’t made a bowl since 2014.
It will be we haven’t made a bowl since 2021.

If we don’t bowl in 2022 or 2023, the streak since 2014 would have started to look pretty ugly.
But now that is done.

"Let's be real here: Many people are going to watch just to see if Rutgers embarrasses itself."

"If they get their doors blown off, that's what everyone was expecting (and hey, everyone will change the channel and move on."

If they "immediately fall into the punch bowl, they will have opened themselves up to ridicule."

spicoli-you-dick.gif
Politi can sit on a turkey drumstick sideways this Christmas. Let’s go RU!

Last edited:
What are you talking about?

How does the streak continuously if we were blown out?

No one can say we haven’t made a bowl since 2014.
It will be we haven’t made a bowl since 2021.

If we don’t bowl in 2022 or 2023, the streak since 2014 would have started to look pretty ugly.
But now that is done.
I'm talking about just not playing in a bowl but winning a bowl.

Are you always negative?
Do you always expect a miracle? You don't understand the difficulties of what Rutgers is trying to accomplish. These win-win, we have nothing to lose post are ridiculous.

Do you always expect a miracle? You don't understand the difficulties of what Rutgers is trying to accomplish. These win-win, we have nothing to lose post are ridiculous.
It’s a football game against a top 25 team. If RU loses it doesn’t matter. The players get to play another game. Good for them.

Everyone on this board needs to buy a ticket to the game, go have a few drinks, get laid, and spend a few hours sitting in the sun on Dec 31 in Jacksonville and enjoy the game. Win or lose.

Holy moly! You are scared for our football team to play a football game? How does a football team win the Gator Bowl is we are afraid to play in the Gator Bowl?

when the game was first arranged I thought it was a mistake, but as time has gone by am glad for our opportunity..

I now look at the way some teams, like Syracuse, were able to play with WF, and, with some preparation, we might do so also, and thus, shock the world, a bit.

When we played Cuse, it seemed like they were in our backfield a lot, and disrupted our offense more than they should have... I assume Syracuse was able to do so in their WF game also

If we want a punchers chance with this, we must, and probably for the first time, really find a way to pressure the qb.... if we want to avoid a Maryland/RU type game.

Here, I am disagreeing with the fellow poster above who suggested keeping the play in front of us, to prevent the big play....we cannot let them march down the field play after play with a sagging defense

it won't be easy, assuming we are down a bunch of starters....

we had our shining moment in bb, a lot of 90-60 predictions, and it certainly seemed to be a reasonable prediction

I hope the team plays loose, fast, and again, try like hell to get to the qb for once..... then, we have that punchers chance

Reactions: Scarlet83
Holy moly! You are scared for our football team to play a football game? How does a football team win the Gator Bowl is we are afraid to play in the Gator Bowl?
Huh. Where did I say I was or the team was scared? I think you should put down the eggnog.

Huh. Where did I say I was or the team was scared? I think you should put down the eggnog.
I did not say the team was scared to play the game, I said you were scared for the team to play.

If you are not, I was wrong. My apologies.

Among the many excellent reporters that cover Rutgers sports, to me, Steve P has always been the most insightful and right on the money.. When we were in the football doldrums and he was very critical of RU, many fans were very upset with him, but the reality was that he was simply telling it like it was and at heart I always knew he was a Rutgers fan. He has certainly shown that over the past decade and more. Agree or disagree with him, his pieces are always thoughtful, well written and smart.

Reactions: rutgersal
Among the many excellent reporters that cover Rutgers sports, to me, Steve P has always been the most insightful and right on the money.. When we were in the football doldrums and he was very critical of RU, many fans were very upset with him, but the reality was that he was simply telling it like it was and at heart I always knew he was a Rutgers fan. He has certainly shown that over the past decade and more. Agree or disagree with him, his pieces are always thoughtful, well written and smart.
The guy is not a fan ( and shouldn’t be) but is great at click bait articles especially with Rutgers. Better to let him know to “ get lost” .

You risk nothing, you get nothing. The biggest negative would be a serious injury, as it would be in any game. And nobody want to endure a blowout either. But the opportunities by far outweigh the negatives. I prefer not to have the negatives pointed out so bluntly.

Politi also said that the B1G was making a big mistake last year deciding to play the 2020 season. How many B1G players died of COVID?
It was never about the players dying. It was about players spreading Covid on campuses and then to the communities. Preventing Covid spread starts with individuals, even minimal risk healthy people. That’s why the guidance is for everyone to wear masks, not only the elderly or immune compromised

Reactions: retired711
Cool post, Steve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT