ADVERTISEMENT

Politi Doubles Down on Being Debbie Downer

It is 7 days of practice and prep for a bowl game for young guys.

You do know the line is on WF -4.5.

Most fans on here are Debbie downers. We do not even need Politi. To me it is a no lose situation.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Another Debbie Downer....

correction: It is 7 days of practice and prep for a bowl game for young guys.

You do know the line is on WF -14.

Most fans on here are Debbie downers. We do not even need Politi. To me it is a no lose situation.
If you read my post and the post that I was answering, you will see that all I was trying to do was to correct a factual error about what the spread is. The poster said the spread is 4.5. It is not. I thought that people would be interested in knowing what the spread actually is. And I said *nothing* about how many days of practice and prep there will be.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If you read my post and the post that I was answering, you will see that all I was trying to do was to correct a factual error about what the spread is. The poster said the spread is 4.5. It is not. I thought that people would be interested in knowing what the spread actually is. And I said *nothing* about how many days of practice and prep there will be.
You were pretty quick to correct me in a thread where people assume we will get killed.

I'm talking about just not playing in a bowl but winning a bowl.

The streak we are breaking is not playing in a game.

There is no bowl streak of losing bowl games. No one cares about those kind of streaks. Nobody says, “It’s been 10 years since Team X won a bowl game!”

Rather, it’s, “Kansas has not been to a bowl since 2008, the longest streak in the nation.”

The streak we are breaking is not playing in a game.

There is no bowl streak of losing bowl games. No one cares about those kind of streaks. Nobody says, “It’s been 10 years since Team X won a bowl game!”

Rather, it’s, “Kansas has not been to a bowl since 2008, the longest streak in the nation.”
No one cares about streaks on not being in bowls or for that matter the longest streak. Before last year's Covid season no one would have guessed the Virginia Tech led the nation in consecutive bowl games at 27. So pump the brakes on how important the streak is.

Lol. The kids are probably as fresh as theyve been since september. Theyve been training until a week ago. This is legitimately the same physically as if youre coming off a bye week, maybe even better
The toughest thing for a lot of the players will be to turn it on again in their minds. Hoping the pure excitement and adrenaline from this opportunity helps make that go smooth.

One of the things I haven't really seen anyone talk about is that WF has been prepping for A&M this whole time and only has a week to prep on us. It isn't huge but it should factor in a bit.

The toughest thing for a lot of the players will be to turn it on again in their minds. Hoping the pure excitement and adrenaline from this opportunity helps make that go smooth.

One of the things I haven't really seen anyone talk about is that WF has been prepping for A&M this whole time and only has a week to prep on us. It isn't huge but it should factor in a bit.
Your first point is something I’m unsure about myself. Ive never dealt with it. Alot of these kids in high school have gone from football to basketball season weeks later but they expected that. This was unexpected. It can go one of two ways. 1) they cant get up for it 2) they go out loose as ever feeling like they have nothing to lose and have been blessed with an opportunity to award all their hardworks over the past 2, 3, 4, 5 and some 6 years. I expect Julius to have the game of his life in particular

Reactions: yesrutgers01
No one cares about streaks on not being in bowls or for that matter the longest streak. Before last year's Covid season no one would have guessed the Virginia Tech led the nation in consecutive bowl games at 27. So pump the brakes on how important the streak is.
I’m sorry, but if you have ever met a Virginia Tech fan, they would remind you of this fact, repeatedly. Something they were very proud of.

I’m sorry, but if you have ever met a Virginia Tech fan, they would remind you of this fact, repeatedly. Something they were very proud of.
We would do the same but the point is no one cares nationally and 99.9999% wouldn't know.

Anybody who loves playing football will have NO problem getting up for this. Playing the game of football well is friggin' awesome. Any chance to do it is a gift. Hope these guys make the most of the opportunity.

Your first point is something I’m unsure about myself. Ive never dealt with it. Alot of these kids in high school have gone from football to basketball season weeks later but they expected that. This was unexpected. It can go one of two ways. 1) they cant get up for it 2) they go out loose as ever feeling like they have nothing to lose and have been blessed with an opportunity to award all their hardworks over the past 2, 3, 4, 5 and some 6 years. I expect Julius to have the game of his life in particular
I believe it will be the latter. These guys just got a free pass for another game...will be loose and flying around having fun. Like Damson Munoz flip in the endzone fun.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
It matters to the kids who who can get excited and help recruit others.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Again we aren't talking about a few people we are talking about a national viewpoint! Some of you are so stupid with responses that don't fit the narrative.
I do not care what the national viewpoint is? I care what the local players think about us. This is a great opportunity that a lot of you are crapping on..

You guys all help the media crap on us with your negative statements everyday.

our gift bowl game doesn't move the needle for any recruits one way or another. It's not a secret the team is 5-7 and would in normal times be watching December football rather than playing it.

Had Rutgers made a bowl on merit (e.g. on-field performance, not luck), it would be a good thing for recruiting. We got this bowl via a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket. Good fortune for us, but not a program boost.
61Uh8r5nkyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Again we aren't talking about a few people we are talking about a national viewpoint! Some of you are so stupid with responses that don't fit the narrative.
How about coaches that would negative recruit against us? I hear you are considering Rutgers. Good school, sure but do you realize they have not played in a bowl since 2014? You might not get to one in your time there, but here at State Tech U, we haven't had a senior class miss out on a bowl opportunity since 1962!

They are student athletes and care about academics. This is the reason we are in a bowl besides a decent 5-7 record which does make you eligible.

Therefore it was earned.

Politi is known to lurk this board so it's funny that he hasn't made a passover aggressive sub tweet about it like he has in the past.

With that said, you'd think someone in his position would welcome the extra work considering it's literally his livelihood...

Politi is known to lurk this board so it's funny that he hasn't made a passover aggressive sub tweet about it like he has in the past.

With that said, you'd think someone in his position would welcome the extra work considering it's literally his livelihood...
That‘s the issue with dimwits who keep double downing - they would rather be “right” than anything, including employed.

God forbid we have some humility and open mindedness in society. Nope. We gotta have a bunch of loud, ignorant, hypocritical babies who stomp their feet and dig their heels in, even if it is against their actual interests.

Or, if it hurts too much to admit you‘re wrong.…Just shut up. Literally stop and the nonsense will stop. Nope. Gotta keep opening my stupid mouth to put my all important “truth” out there, again, and again, and again. Blah, blah, blah….

How about coaches that would negative recruit against us? I hear you are considering Rutgers. Good school, sure but do you realize they have not played in a bowl since 2014? You might not get to one in your time there, but here at State Tech U, we haven't had a senior class miss out on a bowl opportunity since 1962!
What part of national recognition don't you comprehend. And nobody goes back that far so an incredibly dumb analogy. Jeez.

That‘s the issue with dimwits who keep double downing - they would rather be “right” than anything, including employed.

God forbid we have some humility and open mindedness in society. Nope. We gotta have a bunch of loud, ignorant, hypocritical babies who stomp their feet and dig their heels in, even if it is against their actual interests.

Or, if it hurts too much to admit you‘re wrong.…Just shut up. Literally stop and the nonsense will stop. Nope. Gotta keep opening my stupid mouth to put my all important “truth” out there, again, and again, and again. Blah, blah, blah….
In fairness, Politi toned down the “Rutgers shouldn’t play” message in the Rant podcast. If anything the podcast was modestly positive except for the opening remarks about how the Gator had to be so disappointed to have gotten stuck with Rutgers when they could’ve had Texas or FSU. That killed the whole thing for me. That wasn’t how it went down at all - it was abundantly clear the Gator simply wanted the game to be played so in this unique instance, they wanted the hungriest team for the opportunity which clearly was going to be a Rutgers / Illinois type opponent and not one of the brand names coming off a disappointing season (who might not even end up accepting and take up valuable time trying). I thought it was really sad that our own media reps had to mock our selection the way they did. If the Gator bowl wanted FSU they would’ve immediately pushed for a geography exception due to the late notice which didn’t happen.

What part of national recognition don't you comprehend. And nobody goes back that far so an incredibly dumb analogy. Jeez.
Dude come on. Signing up to play in this shows that Schiano’s kids are hungry and that our kids were eager to represent the university in one more game that will be in national spotlight. It’s not some major recruiting coup but it’s not “nothing” either. Most importantly, our kids want to play.

The only way the decision becomes a major negative would be if god forbid someone suffered a Le Grand type injury in a manner that could somehow be attributed to poor conditioning (whether actually the cause or not). That or perhaps a 78-0 type eye popping loss. A 43-17 pasting would roll across the ESPN scoreboard and blend the whole thing into a net neutral. It wouldn’t hurt recruiting. Still a good experience for our kids. Move on.

Dude come on. Signing up to play in this shows that Schiano’s kids are hungry and that our kids were eager to represent the university in one more game that will be in national spotlight. It’s not some major recruiting coup but it’s not “nothing” either. Most importantly, our kids want to play.

The only way the decision becomes a major negative would be if god forbid someone suffered a Le Grand type injury in a manner that could somehow be attributed to poor conditioning (whether actually the cause or not). That or perhaps a 78-0 type eye popping loss. A 43-17 pasting would roll across the ESPN scoreboard and blend the whole thing into a net neutral. It wouldn’t hurt recruiting. Still a good experience for our kids. Move on.
Everything you say is true for the most part. However has to do with anything I said about bowl streaks being irrelevant which is the current conversation. Have no idea why you responded to my last post. Did you even read it?? I suggest you move on and onto the current conversation

Everything you say is true for the most part. However has to do with anything I said about bowl streaks being irrelevant which is the current conversation. Have no idea why you responded to my last post. Did you even read it?? I suggest you move on and onto the current conversation

Dude, just shut up.
You are unbearable.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus

i think the fear of injury thing is overblown in this case
We are not that far removed from the season where players are far out of shape

Injuries can happen at any time to anyone on the field under normal circumstances

Now, if one player limps off,
critics will blame the layoff and could be wrong, it might have happened anyway

.. if we were trying to play a game way off season I could understand the worry, we are not

What do even mean, “national viewpoint?”

When you said there were no positives for playing in the game for Rutgers, I said it will break our streak of not making bowl game since 2014.
Even Sarge in the NJ.com podcast mentioned it as a positive.

But you want to keep arguing that it’s no big deal.

How big a deal was it when we had a 30 year drought if no NCAA’s in basketball?
It got to the point no one thought it was possible to make it back. We had the longest streak of any team in the nation except Northwestern who finally made it.

I think it is great we will no longer have the 2nd longest streak of any division 1 team, and have to keep hearing that on TV or in print.
Obviously Schiano feels the same or he would have said no thanks.

So you still would prefer the team stays home?

Reactions: RUtrumpet92
Here’s what I know — ESPN wants people to watch so I don’t expect much discussion of RU not deserving to be there. Instead, I expect the narrative to be about Schiano coming back, progress being made in year 2 of a rebuild, our strong recruiting class that just signed, Wimsatt and the future, and kudos for RU for stepping up to take the opportunity to play again. And, if we keep the game remotely close we’ll get even more positive praise.

Reactions: Rutgers8086
What do even mean, “national viewpoint?”

When you said there were no positives for playing in the game for Rutgers, I said it will break our streak of not making bowl game since 2014.
Even Sarge in the NJ.com podcast mentioned it as a positive.

But you want to keep arguing that it’s no big deal.

How big a deal was it when we had a 30 year drought if no NCAA’s in basketball?
It got to the point no one thought it was possible to make it back. We had the longest streak of any team in the nation except Northwestern who finally made it.

I think it is great we will no longer have the 2nd longest streak of any division 1 team, and have to keep hearing that on TV or in print.
Obviously Schiano feels the same or he would have said no thanks.

So you still would prefer the team stays home?
No this is what you wrote.
"No one can say we haven’t made a bowl since 2014.
It will be we haven’t made a bowl since 2021."
Who the hell is saying that? You make it sound like a big discussion. It's not. That is my point!! Only a few Rutgers fans trying to complain may bring it up. The rest of the nation is oblivious to bowl streaks.

No this is what you wrote.
"No one can say we haven’t made a bowl since 2014.
It will be we haven’t made a bowl since 2021."
Who the hell is saying that? You make it sound like a big discussion. It's not. That is my point!! Only a few Rutgers fans trying to complain may bring it up. The rest of the nation is oblivious to bowl streaks.
I agree with this to your point. But to their point, our recruiting rivals use it every chance they get. Now, will they mention we haven't "earned" a bowl, I am sure they will but at least it does break the streak.

I still contend there is almost no negative to playing this bowl.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Bus, you seem very worked up about something you say is basically meaningless on the national scale.

I don't care if Joe Average Fan cares about bowl droughts or bowl streaks. I do care that our guys will get to play in one this year, and that other schools cannot use it to negatively recruit as easily now. That's all.

i think the fear of injury thing is overblown in this case
We are not that far removed from the season where players are far out of shape

Injuries can happen at any time to anyone on the field under normal circumstances

Now, if one player limps off,
critics will blame the layoff and could be wrong, it might have happened anyway

.. if we were trying to play a game way off season I could understand the worry, we are not
Oh I completely agree. The point I was making is about perception. If someone god forbid were to get seriously injured there is a non-zero risk, fair or not, that we would get media coverage akin to what’s discussed when a player returns too early from concussion protocols. In no way I’m I suggesting this is likely or that any injury would have anything to do with the break in play. All I’m saying is that the media sharks would jump to present it critically and that wouldn’t be a good look for RU. It’s, in my view, the only real risk of RU possibly looking bad.

Reactions: wheezer
I responded to your earlier comment on lack of national recognition for playing in this event from a recruiting event. You guys are now going back and forth on a tangent, yes, but I’m trying to say that it doesn’t really matter. Even if your right about bowl history not being a recruit selling point - On a national level, right now there’s mostly a tone of respect that we’re going out there to give this thing a shot. That’s what matters here. Not the back and forth debate as there is more upside than downside risk in playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT