ADVERTISEMENT

Politi: "Greg Schiano deserves a contract extension as Rutgers clears a major hurdle"

It doesn’t make sense to extend Schiano based on improved performance in a down year for the B1G? Outside of Michigan and maybe OSU, PSU everyone is having a down year. Even OSU is not as strong as previous years and PSU offense looks mediocre. All other teams seem to have taken a step back. 6-2 is still a great record and we should be proud of it, but let’s not pretend that this accomplishment is in line with what we did in basketball a few years ago in a loaded B1G. I would certainly wait another 1-2 years before extending. BTW, the next 4 games will really tell the prowess of this team.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Mike Locksley @ Maryland gets 5.5m/yr

PJ Fleck @ Minnesota gets 6m/yr

Bret Bielema @ Illinois gets 6.5m/yr

Luke Fickell @ Wisconsin gets 7.5m/yr

Kirk Firentz gets $7m/yr

You have to pay what the market rate is.

My guess is Schiano is worth around 5 to 6m/yr.
Of those coaches who will survive to their next contract with the same school?

It’s not that he is getting screwed over, it’s where do we want out football program at. If there is anyone on this board that Greg hasn’t done a good job of turning around this program you need to readjust your expectations.
G
The game is played that if you have a successful coach you lock him in for x number of years. If there is anyone who thinks Greg won’t be getting calls for his turnaround of Rutgers, you’re either high, drunk or both.
Now is the time to show our commitment to HCGS.
The football program will be in the same place whether we pay him more or not. He will not go anywhere. I don't care about "the game." We have bigger fish to fry like paying for the fieldhouse and building a NIL war chest. Heck, Greg might even agree with that.
As a fan that wants to win and have fun at games, it’s enlightened self interest.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying. Paying a head coach more after one good season doesn't buy winning. Many examples were given.
he got what he was worth, but lower than what a B1G HC that was sought after would demand
He negotiated the best contract he could get and with help from the fanbase.
What Hobbs was offering wouldn't have the best of show running to Rutgers.
I'm all for extending, just want the years extended not part of a buyout until the original 8 years is up.
As for the money, add bigger, bonuses for making bowl games to the 4 mil.
After next year then add bucks to salary if another bowl eligibility is obtained
Then he should have had escalation clauses in his contract to cover contingencies. That's on him and his agent.
As I noted in replies above, we have other important spend issues for the program. Having interacted with Greg at donor events, he has emphasized these needs. I doubt he would do it, but never once did he bring up more money for himself. What's wrong with waiting another year to see how 2024 unfolds?

Yeah this many years in and GS will have to get a boost.
Its not like the B1G money limits to bargain coaches
He's good and stable enough and cares about school/kids.
He wont be fapping on phone calls or doing freak dancing in clubs
I could see recruiters telling players that RU has lowest paid coach who wont be staying etc.
The assistants need some cheddar too because a couple of them do nice work and can be picked-off

Last edited:
Reactions: pmvon
It doesn’t make sense to extend Schiano based on improved performance in a down year for the B1G? Outside of Michigan and maybe OSU, PSU everyone is having a down year. Even OSU is not as strong as previous years and PSU offense looks mediocre. All other teams seem to have taken a step back. 6-2 is still a great record and we should be proud of it, but let’s not pretend that this accomplishment is in line with what we did in basketball a few years ago in a loaded B1G. I would certainly wait another 1-2 years before extending. BTW, the next 4 games will really tell the prowess of this team.
shhhhhhhhhhhhh blows the narrative

If anyone wants to see the real Greg coaching, last year and the qb situation

hint; he's not very good

The football program will be in the same place whether we pay him more or not. He will not go anywhere. I don't care about "the game." We have bigger fish to fry like paying for the fieldhouse and building a NIL war chest. Heck, Greg might even agree with that.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying. Paying a head coach more after one good season doesn't buy winning. Many examples were given.

Then he should have had escalation clauses in his contract to cover contingencies. That's on him and his agent.
As I noted in replies above, we have other important spend issues for the program. Having interacted with Greg at donor events, he has emphasized these needs. I doubt he would do it, but never once did he bring up more money for himself. What's wrong with waiting another year to see how 2024 unfolds?
nailed it

Reactions: Morrischiano
OSU is a maybe? loaded B1G in hoops? Which year was that?

Won't impact 2024 class, but will impact recruiting on 2025 and beyond class as it introduces uncertainty to those classes that coaches like Harbaugh, Franklin, Fickell, Locksley and others will jump on.
I don’t think that’s as important a talking point. These days the kids are more interested in how and when they are getting paid and less interested in how and when the coach is getting paid.

I don’t think that’s as important a talking point. These days the kids are more interested in how and when they are getting paid and less interested in how and when the coach is getting paid.
I’m sure showing how cheap we are will win them over.

I’m sure showing how cheap we are will win them over.

Is it hurting us now?
Seem to be winning them over so far.

Based on that logic we should we have made HC Schiano the highest paid coach from the beginning and the recruits would have flocked here.
Since they are just waiting for us to show how not cheap we are.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He could get paid nothing or $10M dollars. That is not the issue, but rather the contract term showing the school is committed to him as a coach for the time the player will be there. A parent involved in a player's decision making will also look for that too. NIL does change the equation but maybe not as much as we think.

Is it hurting us now?
Seem to be winning them over so far.

Based on that logic we should we have made HC Schiano the highest paid coach from the beginning and the recruits would have flocked here.
Since they are just waiting for us to show how not cheap we are.
duh, hire a big name coach like Saban and you don’t think recruits will flock here. Logic works fine.

duh, hire a big name coach like Saban and you don’t think recruits will flock here. Logic works fine.

But if we hired Saban but only paid him $4m the recruits wouldn't come though right?

You're all over the place.
If recruits care so much about how much we pay for the HC then we could hire anybody - pay them $20m a year and get all the recruits.
"Look how committed we are. We are paying a lot of money for alot of years".

Or perhaps isn't more nuanced and the dollars and years aren't the end all be all.

But if we hired Saban but only paid him $4m the recruits wouldn't come though right?

You're all over the place.
If recruits care so much about how much we pay for the HC then we could hire anybody - pay them $20m a year and get all the recruits.
"Look how committed we are. We are paying a lot of money for alot of years".

Or perhaps isn't more nuanced and the dollars and years aren't the end all be all.
I’m all over the place? You are now talking about hiring Saban for $4mm. Here is the point. Good coaches will get paid. Kids know that. Why come here when the coach doesn’t want to be.

So it’s a down year in the B1G and that ‘s Schiano’s fault ? He’s not asking… are you personally paying for this hypothetical extension? 😁

OSU is a maybe? loaded B1G in hoops? Which year was that?
2019-2020 and 2020-2021. Each of those yers at least 5-6 teams from the B1G were in the top 25.

Point is that due to Coach Schiano it is not a down year for Rutgers. IIRC you wanted to can him in every down year for Rutgers.
You recalled incorrectly. BTW, everyone wants him fired when he has a bad year.

Mike Locksley @ Maryland gets 5.5m/yr

PJ Fleck @ Minnesota gets 6m/yr

Bret Bielema @ Illinois gets 6.5m/yr

Luke Fickell @ Wisconsin gets 7.5m/yr

Kirk Firentz gets $7m/yr

You have to pay what the market rate is.

My guess is Schiano is worth around 5 to 6m/yr.
I think he should be paid more next time when Rutgers decides to extent his contract. Do you think Isiah Pacheco should stop playing until he gets market value? His salary is about $870k a year while other running backs are making over $10 million a year.

I don’t know if Schiano is better than any of these coaches. We can only hope that Schiano can turn the program around like Locksley, 8 wins 2022 and 7 wins 2021, and Pj Fleck, last two years has 9 win season. Bret 8-5 in his second year, Luke 5 seasons over 9 wins at Cinn, and Kirk consistently over 8 win seasons, has done more in their career base on their team win loss record than Schiano. The funny thing is I’m a big Schiano fan.

I think that given 2-3 more years, Schiano can make Rutgers into the fourth best team Big Ten not including the new addition from the Pac 12, behind Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Better than any of the Western division teams. The 4 star in state recruits will want to start staying in state again like when Schiano did the first time.

Last edited:
2019-2020 and 2020-2021. Each of those yers at least 5-6 teams from the B1G were in the top 25.

You recalled incorrectly. BTW, everyone wants him fired when he has a bad year.
How many made the elite 8 or final 4? I find it interesting that you used rankings to demonstrate the strength of the league’ but said ISU is maybe good despite bringing ranked 3rd right now.

I’m all over the place? You are now talking about hiring Saban for $4mm. Here is the point. Good coaches will get paid. Kids know that. Why come here when the coach doesn’t want to be.
If a coach is good, why not pay the the level of good? Base salary $4 million. In any given year, $1 million bonus for each win over 4 wins. 8 wins, $8 million, 11 wins, $11 million. If that the coach sucks the following year, back to $4 million, if he continues to win, he continues to make better money. What good coach would turn that down? If you don't like that, why should the University be stuck over paying a flash in the pan one year success? Please don't answer because that is the way it is done. Greg and his agent could have negotiated such a bonus structure.

And the bonus structure should subtract $1 million for each game the QB passes under 50 yards, regardless of number of wins, just because. 😀

Last edited:
He went with an ACC longer term deal to lock in the money.

Should have believed in himself to turn it around quicker and went with a shorter Big Ten deal to get back to market sooner for an increase.
His first contract was 5 years at $500,000 👀 (think about that! He makes more now in 1 year then his entire first contract...by a lot!) Then extended by 7 years while in the Big East. His current contract is the longest contract he has signed. Don't know if that was entirely on him or not.

If a coach is good, why not pay the the level of good? Base salary $4 million. In any given year, $1 million bonus for each win over 4 wins. 8 wins, $8 million, 11 wins, $11 million. If that the coach sucks the following year, back to $4 million, if he continues to win, he continues to make better money. What good coach would turn that down? If you don't like that, why should the University be stuck over paying a flash in the pan one year success? Please don't answer because that is the way it is done. Greg and his agent could have negotiated such a bonus structure.

And the bonus structure should subtract $1 million for each game the QB passes under 50 yards, regardless of number of wins, just because. 😀
You can play around with the numbers and wins but that’s the kind of structure I’m talking about. It a fair deal to both sides and pays for performance in sort of a “real time.” You’d still want to be cognizant of years and guarantees but that kind of structure seems better.

He could get paid nothing or $10M dollars. That is not the issue, but rather the contract term showing the school is committed to him as a coach for the time the player will be there. A parent involved in a player's decision making will also look for that too. NIL does change the equation but maybe not as much as we think.
What does change the equation is the portal.
Kids don't need to worry anymore getting left behind like in the past. How long the coaches contract no longer has to be 5 years remaining or have a big buyout. Kids don't care if the HC might leave. If that is the reason they choose to play at a school solely based on the HC they can just follow him to the next stop.

You can give a big contract and not fully guarantee it either way. Let both parties leave the deal if they want, but you'll have to pay a premium for that.
That's kind of a solution but there is always a good portion of a contract that's guaranteed. It still doesn't address overpaying for lack of performance.

Like Tucker's deal, he got paid 9.5M/yr. He won 5 games that next year after his 11 win season. This season, even if he wasn't let go, wasn't expected to be a big one, maybe 6-7 wins. So that's a lot of money for those results and he wasn't getting let go so quickly even if some part of his contract wasn't guaranteed.

Or how about Fisher getting paid 9.5M/yr. He's usually won about 8-9 games overall and 4-5 in conference. He's got an extremely premium salary that's expecting results like SEC title game appearances, conference titles, playoff appearances and national championships.

So again even if not fully guaranteed, in any given year you could be overpaying to grossly overpaying for the results you're getting.

Last edited:
Too much money involved to make a smart decision like that. It’s like MLB.

Actually , there are 5 games remaining🤫. So what’s your red line? 2-3 … 1-4 …4-1 before you are in favor or not of discussing a possible extension . I think Greg would prefer his staff gets $$$$ for their efforts and Rutgers sets a timeline on a new practice facility. The rest will take care of itself. Keeping continuity with staff is important to Schiano.

I think that given 2-3 more years, Schiano can make Rutgers into the fourth best team Big Ten not including the new addition from the Pac 12, behind Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Better than any of the Western division teams. The 4 star in state recruits will want to start staying in state again like when Schiano did the first time.
I'd take that along with competitive games against the big three. Sign me up.

Actually , there are 5 games remaining🤫. So what’s your red line? 2-3 … 1-4 …4-1 before you are in favor or not of discussing a possible extension . I think Greg would prefer his staff gets $$$$ for their efforts and Rutgers sets a timeline on a new practice facility. The rest will take care of itself. Keeping continuity with staff is important to Schiano.
he needs a few years of this before any extension talk. Last year was a disaster from a coaching standpoint and we still have a bad qb situation.
extension talk is beyond dumb here

Reactions: Morrischiano
He is signed through the 2028 season.

There are plenty of talking points to tell the class of 2024 to criticize our program. GS’s contract duration would be a laughable one to use.

Yikes. Politi doubled down on his 2017 article "HC Ash needs an extension".

Turns out it was AD Hobbs fault if HC Ash failed.
HC Ash was going to be in an unwinnable situation it appears.
Poor HC Ash....

• Haha
The outcome of the next four games don’t matter, because he’s already done what he needed to do. End of Story.

Agreed. This seasond accomplishments have been met regardless.

But it's still just 1 year.
Need to repeat next year and accomplishment the season goals.

You mentioned Saban first for no reason at all.

Why are kids currently coming here if HC Schiano is the lowest paid HC in the Big Ten?
If we made him the highest paid coach in the entire country tomorrow - does recruiting suddenly become Top 10?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT